Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Chinese Astrology

Chinese Astrology 本板块使用英语讨论中国占星术。This forum will hold discussion on Chinese Astrology in English language.

Unread 04-20-2011, 05:59 PM

Re: Chinese Astrology

I'm assuming that Chinese astrological texts would suffer from the same problems in translation as the I Ching texts. Put simply, the revered writings would have been written in a poetic manner, allowing many different meanings for specific words, which could change the meaning of the sentences into three or four completely different things. In the original Chinese, all interpretations could be correct or at least have their place. This makes the text much more powerful in its native language, but also makes it impossible to translate. I know that the I Ching cannot possibly be fully translated to English, because you would lose at least half of the meaning by choosing English phrases. The translation of the I Ching to English would require the understanding and intellect of the original author (*cough* NOT Confucius *cough* *cough*) and would also require that he was just as literate in English as Chinese.

Unread 04-21-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I'm assuming that Chinese astrological texts would suffer from the same problems in translation as the I Ching texts. Put simply, the revered writings would have been written in a poetic manner, allowing many different meanings for specific words, which could change the meaning of the sentences into three or four completely different things. In the original Chinese, all interpretations could be correct or at least have their place. This makes the text much more powerful in its native language, but also makes it impossible to translate. I know that the I Ching cannot possibly be fully translated to English, because you would lose at least half of the meaning by choosing English phrases. The translation of the I Ching to English would require the understanding and intellect of the original author (*cough* NOT Confucius *cough* *cough*) and would also require that he was just as literate in English as Chinese.
This is another generalization. Not all Chinese divination texts were written in the manner of the I-Ching despite the writings are in an ancient literary style. Some of them are not too difficult for modern day natives of the language to understand. 4-pillar classics such as "Di Tian Sui" and "Qiong Tong Bao Jian" are in fact quite comprehensible. As for translation purposes, the first challenge would be to create equivalent symbolic words in English for each of the 12 hours and the 10 elements (yin/yang principles for each of the 5 elements). Otherwise any translation would seem incredibly cumbersome.
Unread 04-21-2011, 04:08 AM

There is a good deal of truth in what both Mark and 26Degree have posted above-still, we can-using some of the few highly competent translators-approximate our understanding of I Ching, the various forms/approaches to Chinese "astrology" (chrono-astrology), Classical Chinese Medicine, and other aspects of esoteric Chinese tradition. But we must carefully choose our translator/authorities in these fields, so as not to be misled.
Unread 04-21-2011, 12:51 PM

Send a message via MSN to eric1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. farr View Post
There is a good deal of truth in what both Mark and 26Degree have posted above-still, we can-using some of the few highly competent translators-approximate our understanding of I Ching, the various forms/approaches to Chinese "astrology" (chrono-astrology), Classical Chinese Medicine, and other aspects of esoteric Chinese tradition. But we must carefully choose our translator/authorities in these fields, so as not to be misled.
Agree.I Ching even for me,a Chinese,is far too difficult,not to mention the translation...

Tags
astrology, chinese