A Discussion Thread About Racism in America

Inquisag

Korean has an alphabet, Mandarin doesn’t use its alphabet, it has pictographs.

There’s been some suggestion that solving difficulty of typing in Chinese predisposes mandarin speakers to understanding machine learning and predictive problem solving.

https://thereader.mitpress.mit.edu/the-uncanny-keyboard/

OMG! Fascinating! I had never heard of this.

In reading that Japan took over Taiwan, I wonder where and how all that sustained, negative Mars energy began accumulating.

petosiris

Banned
Why were the Jews exiled and the Temple destroyed? Are only the Babylonians to blame? Why did my country fell under the Turks for centuries? Are only the Turks to blame? Why does no earthly kingdom last forever? Is there someone to blame, but every person, tribe and nation? God uses one wicked power to discipline another wicked power, and he will judge the people. ''Whoever says to the wicked, “You are in the right,” will be cursed by peoples, abhorred by nations but those who rebuke the wicked will have delight, and a good blessing will come upon them.''

Dirius

Japan was forced to open to commerce. That is a violation of spiritual, cultural, physical, social boundaries.

Thats not exactly how it went. First of all the Japanese government, the Tokugawa Shogunate, was an unstable and unpopular military dictatorship that had ruled since 1600's. Japan was forced to open diplomatic relationships. The commercial treaties which came later, were beneficial to Japan.

Americans offered the japanese a peaceful treaty that would ensure Japanese autonomy - unlike what Britain and France had done with other asian nations, such as China, Malasya, India, Burma, etc.

Dirius

Yes, they must have innocently thought it was diplomatic, suave attentions lavished upon them without an agenda, eh?

There were previous attempts, in which the U.S. tried to open both diplomatic and commercial relations with Japan through very peaceful means. The japanese rejected and attacked U.S. vessels instead.

There is also another aspect, you may not be aware of:

Traveling by sea during the 19th century was dangerous, and every opportunity to dock, re-supply and make repairs was critical for long term voyages and the crew's survival.

Back in the day most nations would allow any ship into their ports so they could re-supply (except for enemy vessels during wartime). This was considered an act of generosity and good will among nations, and common practice around the entire world.

Japan was one of the few who refused this practice, and was even hostile towards most foreign vessels (except for the Dutch). Thus diplomatic relations with Japan were critical for long-term expeditions.

Granted previous experiences with foreign nations (such as the british) during the napoleonic wars had made japan weary of foreign vessels. Thus why a diplomatic relation needed to be established, so reciprocal terms could be settled.

In short:

Sure the U.S. bullied his way into a diplomatic agreement, but Japan was being a d*ck about the whole port issue.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

When he realised that Derek Chauvin
the Minneapolis police officer
charged with the murder of George Floyd
used to train in his Kung Fu school
Andre Balian "felt obligated" to speak up :smile:
He explains that
the move used by the officer
was in no way part of his martial arts training there
and insists

".....there's no perceivable way

that he would not know what kind of damage

he was either doing
or

capable of doing
in that situation...."

"THERE'S NO WAY IT COULD BE UNINTENTIONAL":
Director of Kung Fu school where Derek trained says
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru9DUNzCu9c

Andre Balian was a colleague of Derek Chauvin
before he acquired ownership of the martial arts school.

07dc511bab12499dc9eef5f38754d537.jpg

9k=

Z

JUPITERASC

John Trumbull’s painting “Declaration of Independence”
which hangs in the rotunda of the US Capitol
commemorates the document that freed the United States
formerly the 13 British colonies
from European rule in 1776.

The concept of freedom, though, was severely limited:
slavery was only abolished nearly a century later
and its reverberations of racist violence
and mass incarceration subjugate Black people to this day.
In illustration of this hypocrisy, Arlen Parsa
a Chicago-based documentary filmmaker
covered the faces of every enslaver in the painting with a red circle:
a 34 out of the 47 men pictured
most of whom were signers of the Declaration.

FACT-CHECKING website POLITIFACT has corroborated Parsa’s count :smile:

“....There’s a fundamental irony
that these men were triumphantly declaring themselves free
from what they viewed as the tyranny of King George III
without so much as a thought
toward the people who they themselves held in chains
much more brutal than 18th-century British taxes...”
Parsa told Hyperallergic.

eekndyn

You really want to take away all of Planned Parenthood's high tech weaponry and privacy-invading surveillance equipment???
Planned parenthood kills more members of the black community each day to what police kill in a decade. Also, your comment about maga being racist. I have a solid for you, ask any maga supporter if they would rather have a conversation with a black conservative than a white liberal and I think you will be very surprised at the result.

david starling

You really want to take away all of Planned Parenthood's high tech weaponry and privacy-invading surveillance equipment???
Planned parenthood kills more members of the black community each day to what police kill in a decade. Also, your comment about maga being racist. I have a solid for you, ask any maga supporter if they would rather have a conversation with a black conservative than a white liberal and I think you will be very surprised at the result.

"Great Again" means back in the days of Slavery, before Abolition. At first, I thought it was just about before the Civil Rights Movement and the end of the Jim Crow laws.

When does a human zygote officially become a "member of the black community"? And, when should a woman be forced to carry an unintended pregnancy to term?