A career in psychological astrology: could I / should I make the shift?

MJ82

I'm asking this question while standing at a serious crossroads in my life, and I know that my asking may, in part, be motivated by a fear to strike out fully in the direction I am currently going in. I am currently looking for work in the film industry and in the arts.

I have a background in filmmaking (an MA), and I love film and photography (the latter being something I wish to become better at technically).

But I'm not very good at paving my own way in life and in making the wisest decisions. There are many reasons and factors in my chart for this I suppose. I'm not making excuses. I've always known that I'm better at working independently (uranus conjunct MC), and while I don't want to give up on filmmaking and creativity, I have discovered in the last two years that not only am I skilled in astrology, but it fits with an underlying and strong desire to help people, and a deep and serious interest in psychology. So it has got me thinking.

At this crossroads now, and albeit under some heavy transits (Uranus, Pluto, Saturn and Neptune), I'm wondering whether I should move in this different direction.

The problem I have is that I do want to make something of myself, a contribution to the world. It's not vanity, but a sense that I have something to offer, albeit in a unique and possibly unconventional way. I don't want to make a decision that I later regret, and I don't want to give up on filmmaking and art, but perhaps my main line of work should be something that speaks to me more readily and naturally. People do have careers and their own creative pursuits on the side.

I'm really looking for advice and feel in quite a desperate place about this. I want to be realistic, but also true to myself and my deepest needs.

I would love to hear from others. My chart is below.
I can add a transit chart if that would help.

Thanks
MJ

Last edited:

MJ82

If interested in Vedic perspective, please also attach Vedic chart or pm me birth details.

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28806

Thank you for the offer Rishimanglesh, I might consider it at a later date. For now I'm trying to stick with what I'm familiar with, if only to avoid complicating my own thinking about the issue and what decision to make. Vedic astrology is quite new to me, though I am open to learning about it.

R

rishimanglesh

Thank you for the offer Rishimanglesh, I might consider it at a later date. For now I'm trying to stick with what I'm familiar with, if only to avoid complicating my own thinking about the issue and what decision to make. Vedic astrology is quite new to me, though I am open to learning about it.

You are welcome and I wish you good luck. :smile:

MJ82

I know that some charts yell out "healer", "helper of other people", and others might yell out something different altogether.

I guess I'm wondering what my calling is, and whether: a) I have the aptitude for astrology, and b) whether this would be something that would satisfy me at a deeper level?

I'm curious to know what others see... (modern/tropical astrology perspectives for now, thanks).

bittermoon

MC in sag is a very restless position (i have it too), couple that with uranus conjunct it and there you have a somebody who wants to do something very unique but can change her mind about things, or is 'destined' to do different things in life.

with such a loaded 8th house, i can see your interest in healing. yes, i do think you'd be good at it. coupled with uranus conjunct your MC, i sure can see the link with astrology, too.

the funny thing is.... i've been pondering the same thing. i have a background in journalism and graphic arts. i too am not good at paving my own way and have only been able to attract work with massive help and mentoring from others and i hate that, being so dependent.

i have been thinking of changing my 'career' and psychology and alternative healing have been high on the list. with the ruler of my 10th in the 8th house in scorpio, i have been drawn especially to grief counseling. this could also be a fitting field for you.

psychological astrology is definitely a niche market and i think you'd encounter the same problems as you are now with paving your own way. how about you turn it around? become a therapist and use astrology as a tool. my therapist uses numerology in her treatments.

but the bottom line is.... i think if you're really interested in something and you believe in it and you work at it, you will be good at it. i would say go for it. your chart seems to be supportive of it.

Zarathu

Account Closed
....... become a therapist and use astrology as a tool. my therapist uses numerology in her treatments.

but the bottom line is.... i think if you're really interested in something and you believe in it and you work at it, you will be good at it. i would say go for it. your chart seems to be supportive of it.

From an educational point of view, you could take Noel Tyl's master course in his kind of psychological astrology for $1000 and about 18 months of your work. Do it soon, Tyl's getting up in years.

But to be a therapist of any stature at all, you will need a BA or BS and the minimum after that is an MSW, or a PhD. There are some Master's level therapists that don't have MSW's but its pretty hard to get those jobs and they are usually for agencies that pay very very poorly. Counselors in the public school in elementary really do do counseling with a Master's degree in Counseling Psychology, but they would never be permitted to use astrology, and its good luck getting birth times from children.

Its unlikely that you could use astrology in your practice openly except in California. Just trying to bring back some reality in the comment about becoming a therapist. Also, it not that easy to get a job as a therapist currently, but it will be even more difficult to make any money as an astrologer full time. Robert Blaschke wrote a book on doing it and talked about all you have to do to survive, and even then its not very good survival. You can often do better working at Walmart.

MJ82

Thanks Bittermoon and Zarathu.

@ Bittermoon: You're right about it being a niche market - that's probably why it appealed to me though. With uranus on my MC and asteroid lilith in my 1st house, I'm not naturally very accustomed to fitting into the mainstream. But I'll need to reflect on all this a lot more (it's probably not best for me to make any snap decision under T Neptune square my MC :pinched:)

You're absolutely right about this though: "but the bottom line is.... i think if you're really interested in something and you believe in it and you work at it, you will be good at it. i would say go for it."

I need to stabilise myself again, my objectives, goals, and set a plan.

@ Zarathu: Thanks for sharing that, I've looked into online courses and I would definitely need to train up (for the astrology part). I was thinking in terms of astrology geared towards psychological/theraputic healing, as opposed to the other way round. But it's all food for thought.

Last edited:

greybeard

No chart, no birth data, seeks advice.....
Let me dig my chicken bones out of my little black bag.

From the Bhagavad Gita --
He whose undertakings are free from anxious desire and fanciful thought, whose work is made pure in the fire of wisdom: he is called wise by those who see.
In whatever work he does such a man in truth has peace: he expects nothing, he relies on nothing, and ever has fullness of joy.
He has no vain hopes, he is the master of his soul, he surrenders all he has, only his body works: he is free from sin.
He is glad with whatever God gives him, and he has risen above the two contraries here below; he is without jealousy, and in success or in failure he is one: his works bind him not.

And again from the Gita --
And do thy duty, even if it be humble, rather than another's, even if it be great. To die in one's duty is life: to live in another's is death.

Not astrology, but perhaps ideas that may assist you in making your choices.

What is in your heart? What does your soul say?

I couldn't find my chicken bones. This was the best I could offer you.

I'm an old man. I have never had a career. But.... I have dealt in the beauty of flowers, I have taught others things they felt were necessary, I have fed people, I have cared for unwanted kids, I have built homes for people... Just do what comes from within you.

The Sun shines because that is its nature. It is not concerned with keeping Earth warm and well lighted. In being what it is, it creates life itself. It gives freely to one and all.

You have not mentioned money, fame, respect, freedom to act....as elements in coming to your choice of paths.

MJ82

No chart, no birth data, seeks advice.....
Let me dig my chicken bones out of my little black bag.

From the Bhagavad Gita --
He whose undertakings are free from anxious desire and fanciful thought, whose work is made pure in the fire of wisdom: he is called wise by those who see.
In whatever work he does such a man in truth has peace: he expects nothing, he relies on nothing, and ever has fullness of joy.
He has no vain hopes, he is the master of his soul, he surrenders all he has, only his body works: he is free from sin.
He is glad with whatever God gives him, and he has risen above the two contraries here below; he is without jealousy, and in success or in failure he is one: his works bind him not.

And again from the Gita --
And do thy duty, even if it be humble, rather than another's, even if it be great. To die in one's duty is life: to live in another's is death.

Not astrology, but perhaps ideas that may assist you in making your choices.

What is in your heart? What does your soul say?

I couldn't find my chicken bones. This was the best I could offer you.

I'm an old man. I have never had a career. But.... I have dealt in the beauty of flowers, I have taught others things they felt were necessary, I have fed people, I have cared for unwanted kids, I have built homes for people... Just do what comes from within you.

The Sun shines because that is its nature. It is not concerned with keeping Earth warm and well lighted. In being what it is, it creates life itself. It gives freely to one and all.

You have not mentioned money, fame, respect, freedom to act....as elements in coming to your choice of paths.

Lol Greybeard :biggrin:

My chart is actually a url in my signature... but thank you, genuinely, for your philosophical advice. I need to look into my heart, and I think I've found the answer.

waybread

I think you do have astrological talent. Uranus, the modern ruler of astrology, conjuncts your MC from the 10th house of career. Mercury, the traditional ruler of astrology, is also angular (strengthened) in your first house, in Uranus-ruled Aquarius. It makes some nice trines to Mars, Saturn, and Pluto.

Are you reading charts for people now-- either family and friends or on Internet forums? Your practice and their feedback will be your best guide as to whether you could do this professionally. Then a professional astrologer would probably be expected to have proficiency in horary and electional astrology, as well.

With your Pisces sun in an intercepted sign squaring Neptune, I think you can look forward to a lifelong identity quest as to who you really are. It is hard to know what to do vocationally when it isn't clear who you really are. The up-side is that you can have a great life without having a firm sense of self.

Neptune does seem to rule films-- I know two people with sun square Neptune who have a strong interest in this field; one of them professionally.

I would echo Zarathu's advice that you consider your credentials.

Also, do a back-of-the-envelope business plan! How much could you charge per consultation? How many could you realistically expect to do per month? Would you also teach or publish? (Especially when you are just starting out.) What are your professional and living expenses? (Include in this planning for retirement, or at least an emergency fund sufficient to sustain you for several months.) After you've worked through this business plan, would you still need a "day job"?

I hear you on wanting to make a contribution to people. You can do this as an amateur-- I don't know how you've been supporting yourself till now (does film-making pay the bills?,_ but if it pays the bills and you like the work, you might wish to continue with it until astrology becomes renumerative, as a newcomer probably wouldn't start out at her peak earnings.

Last edited: