Texas

What do you think about Texans? People from Texas?

What is the first thing that pops into your head?

When I was boy skiing in Breckenridge, Colorado my female ski instructor told me that people from Colorado do not like Texans. I asked her why. She said they just don't.

While I was at Burning Man in 2002 a naked man pulling a trailer with a bicycle told me that Texans were evil.

There are times when I say to myself, "Self, the problem with Texas is that it is full of Texans."

Why do you hate Texans?

Zonark

My cousin is a Texan and he is short with a Napoleon complex or whatever you call someone who has that seething insecurity about their height. He is excessively buff and macho and has this really dumb tattoo of Jesus smashing through a brick wall.

Other than that Texas seems ok.

sequestra

I've never been to Texas, and I'm from Australia. I guess the way they seem to be presented in the media is like racist, inbred, stupid backwater hick Jesus-freaks. At least that was always the impression I received, though I don't believe y'all like that. Plus I think Australians are portrayed similarly (sans God stuff) if the Crocodile Dundee/Azaria Chamberlain "dingo ate my baby" stuff was anything to go by.

Cypocryphy

has this really dumb tattoo of Jesus smashing through a brick wall
Ah ha ha ha ha!

The legal system, as it is operated in Texas, makes lady justice thankful that she's blind. The legal system is the way it is in Texas because of a mob mentality; they operate on the level of dumb beasts. The people who are in charge, who could be shepherds for the flock, have half a brain and cater to that mentality.

There's a great documentary (The Thin Blue Line) about a man who was wrongly accused of murder. He made a statement that sums up Texas and its death penalty romance.

"You have a D.A, he doesn't talk about when they convict you, or how they convict you. He's talking about how he's going to kill ya. He don't give a **** if you're innocent, he don't give a **** if you're guilty. He's talking... about killing ya."

Zonark

Ah ha ha ha ha!

The legal system, as it is operated in Texas, makes lady justice thankful that she's blind. The legal system is the way it is in Texas because of a mob mentality; they operate on the level of dumb beasts. The people who are in charge, who could be shepherds for the flock, have half a brain and cater to that mentality.

There's a great documentary (The Thin Blue Line) about a man who was wrongly accused of murder. He made a statement that sums up Texas and its death penalty romance.

"You have a D.A, he doesn't talk about when they convict you, or how they convict you. He's talking about how he's going to kill ya. He don't give a **** if you're innocent, he don't give a **** if you're guilty. He's talking... about killing ya."

That is appallingly twisted.

akp124

I lived in Texas for about a year. I love Texans. They are sooo much nicer than the people here in Michigan. Maybe its just the part where I lived in, but every one helped everyone else out, they said hello even though they don't know you... I don't know, I just really love Texas.

Erickaf

I've been to Texas, I couldn't live there. I have some family there. I like progressive global cities/places. Its not for me. Kind of backwards place to live.

I want a second home somewhere else. Today, I've been reading about Crestone, Colorado, for which I made a Vedic relocation chart for, but I've yet to study it. Julian Lee - http://julianlee.com/Ice_Age.html - says there is an ice age coming. I was dreaming of a summer home in Alaska, but Colorado is much closer. I'm not much for cold weather or real winters. I feel I need a second home, and I was studying my charts and read something about I should have two homes. but i have been in northern areas where there is no humidity in winter, and it didn't seem that cold.

Last edited:
My cousin is a Texan and he is short with a Napoleon complex or whatever you call someone who has that seething insecurity about their height. He is excessively buff and macho and has this really dumb tattoo of Jesus smashing through a brick wall.

Other than that Texas seems ok.
LOL, there are a ton of jack asses here, and brain dead zombies of all sorts. i imagine it is everywhere, but....

I'm been wanting to live somewhere else, for a while, for a while.

tautomer

I have never been to texas, so I do not have the qualifications to actually state a worthy opinion on the state itself, or the people who live there.

That being said, I still do have some opinions on texas. For one, I will NEVER, under ANY circumstances, move there. First and foremost because of the weather. I detest, hot, sunny, dry or humid, weather. I would rapidly become depressed because of the oppressive heat, lack of snow in the winter, occassional droughts in the summer, and overall lack of seasonal change. I am very much a winter person. I need wet, rainy, lush, cool, cold, snowy, icy, cloudy weather for most of the year (which is why I live in western Oregon). It would absolutely kill my emotional side.

The other reasons are due to the politics of texas. It's too socially backwards as far as laws go for my liking, and I'd rather not put myself in an area where I have to live within those which I do not agree with.

Then there is the people. This goes with the socially backwards aspect. While not all texans are like this, many of them are very much the inverse of my moral self, and I don't want to have to live with or around individuals like that. It is to my understanding that places like Austin are actually quite nice, and one of my good friends who lived there for several years said I would fit in there. As soon as I explained my weather reasonings though, she and I agreed to stay away from Texas.

My research advisor/boss is from texas, and he really is the ideal boss for me, so I know I can get along fine with people from there. Every state does have a diverse population to it.

If I were given two options though; to either move to texas, or move to the deep south, I would choose texas first very little consideration. I have been to the deep south, and I refuse to touch it with a ten foot pole!

I'm just going to stick to the Pacific Northwest. That's where I belong :)

Yea, the Pacific Northwest is nice. I've been up there a couple times. We did stop in Portland for a day and night on one of the trips. Washington is really cool. I seriously considered moving to Northern California when I had no strings and the assets to do so, but upon weighing all things I stuck I chose to stay in the SETX region. Sometimes I regret it, but it may all turn out as the way it was meant to be.

'Texas Tea'... :smile:

'Black gold' aka Oil
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwzaxUF0k18

global war re: oil resources

LOL:biggrin:

Last edited:

athenian200

Well, I'm from Texas myself, technically. So I know that not ALL people from here are a certain way. But I find that a lot of the people who were born and raised in the state, particularly in the countryside or in more traditional families, do have a certain mentality.

I think that they're a somewhat rowdy, self-centered bunch of people, who don't tend to think too deeply about ethics. I think they're quick to judge, a bit paranoid, and obsessed with having lots of guns. They really care about being "manly" or tough, and they really don't appreciate even a hint of homosexuality much. It's not this snooty "look down your nose at it as not good enough," kind of thing, it's really more of an "openly jeer and threaten at the pathetic faggot," kind of thing. They are conservatives like in much of the South, but they're rough-hewn and wild even by Southern standards. They don't possess the charm and grace that redeems most of the South in my opinion.

They also tend towards this very subtle racism that isn't acknowledged as racism. In a small town, just two years ago, I saw this guy wearing a cowboy hat tell a Hispanic lady to "keep to her own kind," after she was seen talking to a white guy. This was in public, by a superior. With no shame at all. The attitude was that it wasn't racism, it was just about "purity" or something. And there are tons of times when I've had to listen to people from here complain about how lousy Black or Hispanic drivers are, or how they messed up the food when working at the drive-thru. This is just seen as "pointing out facts," and again, not as racism.

I would say this mentality is very common in rural and even suburban areas, but in major cities it starts to fade quite a bit. I grew up in Dallas, and the people there are much more determined not to be like this. Also, there are tons of people from other parts of the US, and even other parts of the world there. So they have to get along with many kinds. I think it soften things quite a bit, although it's certainly not perfect.

LovelyNomad7

I'm from Texas but I definitely don't feel like a Texas. I really want to move to Colorado... now I'm a bit apprehensive. I hope they don't hate me. I'm not your typical Texan though. I grew up on the border with Mexico and I've done a great of travelling since I was little so I'm not ignorant, racist or close minded in any way. If anything I feel like I don't belong in Texas.

piercethevale

My great grandparents were born in Texas [1870s, maternal side.]. I know that his parents had been from Missouri but left right after the Civil War. His father was 1/4 Powhaton Indian and, in turn, His grandfather was a veteran of the American Revolution and fought with the Virginia regiment whom having lost his wife to childbirth [Her second] in the mid 1790s when she was in her forties, decided to give his farm to the grown son [whom was born in 1777] and the infant daughter and at around age 52-53 took a new bride, a young Powhaton woman, and went off into the Kentucky/Ohio wilderness around 1802-3 and began anew and had three more sons.
To be living in Lafayette county in the 1850s-60s and be a 'secessionist', and a 'half breed' to boot, was a recipe for trouble...and trouble came, in droves. [We were not slave owners nor did the family believe in 'slavery'. The great grandfather that fought for Virginia was, in fact himself, the great grandson of Richard Hough of Bucks Co. Penn. A Quaker, that was one of the 'inner cadre' of associates of Wm. Penn, whom arrived in America in 1685. The Virginian, was a Quaker himself and chose to take up arms due to the urging of, Mennonite Bishop, Christian Funk. The Mennonites {Anabaptists like the Quakers} that took up arms became known as "Funkites". Those of the Quaker faith became, what is known as, "Free Quakers". They were all, forever more, ostracized from their congregations for having taken up arms.]
I believe that the men may have rode with Quantrell or Capt. Anderson and were likely involved with the little 'excursion' into Lawrence, Kansas. [The book "Woe To Ride On" or the movie made from the book, "Ride With the Devil", {a most faithful rendition of the historical novel} do provide much insight into the facts of 'the way it was'.]. There were many in Missouri and another "Border State", Tennessee, that were Secessionists. When the war 'turned' inescapably toward favoring the North, these people had to leave...and most had to in a hurry.
In 2001, when I was anticipating a settlement soon for my workers disability lawsuit, against my former employer, and subsequent retirement, [little did I know then that it would drag on for another six long years] I researched places in the U.S. I was considering, at that time, to move to. I found out that, as of the year 2000, 75% of the [then] present Caucasian population of the state of Texas were direct descendants, on at least one side of their family, from Secessionists from either Missouri or Tennessee that had left those States during or immediately following the Civil War.
That should give you all some insight as to why Texans are the way they are.

Last edited:

piercethevale

Ah ha ha ha ha!

I see by your 'signature line' that you have read some Edgar Cayce!
I have been a student of the Cayce material since the early 1960s and owe much to his 'readings'.
Most admirable. Do you study it much?

FarEastUranus

What do you think about Texans? People from Texas?

What is the first thing that pops into your head?

When I was boy skiing in Breckenridge, Colorado my female ski instructor told me that people from Colorado do not like Texans. I asked her why. She said they just don't.

While I was at Burning Man in 2002 a naked man pulling a trailer with a bicycle told me that Texans were evil.

There are times when I say to myself, "Self, the problem with Texas is that it is full of Texans."

Why do you hate Texans?

Texas gets a bad rep. It used to be part of Mexico, then its own country. The weather is not all humid. The size of Texas is bigger than France, but has a lot less geographic (and cultural) varieties, with a lot of new immigrants (born out of the State or abroad).

However, having known many places there, it is nothing to rave about, except maybe Austin, which is a nice surprise for Texas. Also parts of Houston downtown (Montrose area), and San Antonio are some of my favorites. You can get great Tex-Mex dirt cheap. I also find it very photogenic because of the light quality there, maybe.

I do think it's a bit of an exaggeration to say that Texans are "hated." As if there's not enough hate going around in this world. If I hear this kind of "hate talk" in person, I would just silently turn and walk away, as there is no common ground in that kind of perspective of the world. Doesn't that demonstrate precisely the type of narrow-mindedness that the person purportedly dislikes?

Cypocryphy

I see by your 'signature line' that you have read some Edgar Cayce!
I have been a student of the Cayce material since the early 1960s and owe much to his 'readings'.
Most admirable. Do you study it much?

Ha ha. I'm glad you caught that. And to answer your question: Yes, I study his work very much. :smile: I think that's awesome that you have been studying his work since the 1960s. I imagine, then, that you have studied the writings of Seth and Jane Roberts. Have you read those works? I have read all of Cayce's books and all of Roberts books, too. Both have had a profound effect on my life and for the better. If it were not for them, I would have not taken the path I did today.

I was able to become friends with a couple who would channel a spirit much like Seth, who was a representative of an enlightened group of spirits, somewhat of think-tank in a higher vibrational dimension. I was able to learn a great many things from them that has enhanced my life considerably. Unfortunately, they have retired now.

I truly wish that people would have been more direct with their question to Cacye about astrology. Rather than getting readings, they should have asked for a discourse. Oh well . . . .

Anyway, it is nice to meet you.