Planetary patterns -- the bowl

greybeard

Based on Robert Jansky's work, the astrologer who developed on the initial insights of Marc Edmund Jones, here are some more keywords for the planets in high focus:

Sun: + Regal - Egotistic
Moon: - Dissociative
Mercury: + Naive - Immature
Venus: + Intensely personal - Lazy
Mars: + Sensuous - Beliigerent, Pugnacious
Jupiter: + Folksy - Fanatic
Saturn: + Persistent - Ruthless
Uranus: + Independent - Intractable
Neptune: + Elusive - Deceitful
Pluto: + Detached - Underhanded

Excellent contribution CT! Thanks much.

greybeard

Before leaving this very original chart, we should mention that while
Uranus is so emphasized in the bowl...the body of the bowl-- is a very neat bundle pattern.

This is a very special chart. Very different life, independent, exploratory, highly focused, overturns conventions.

This chart provides excellent study for a Blended type, clearly so.

david starling

Based on Robert Jansky's work, the astrologer who developed on the initial insights of Marc Edmund Jones, here are some more keywords for the planets in high focus:

Sun: + Regal - Egotistic
Moon: - Dissociative
Mercury: + Naive - Immature
Venus: + Intensely personal - Lazy
Mars: + Sensuous - Beliigerent, Pugnacious
Jupiter: + Folksy - Fanatic
Saturn: + Persistent - Ruthless
Uranus: + Independent - Intractable
Neptune: + Elusive - Deceitful
Pluto: + Detached - Underhanded

What's + for the Moon?

david starling

Before leaving this very original chart, we should mention that while
Uranus is so emphasized in the bowl...the body of the bowl-- is a very neat bundle pattern.

This is a very special chart. Very different life, independent, exploratory, highly focused, overturns conventions.

This chart provides excellent study for a Blended type, clearly so.

I looked at it because of a discussion with PTV about why time appears to be "speeding up", because McKenna talked about that a lot. Purely coincidental that it also fit the requirements for a Bowl Chart. He definitely spoke truth to Authoity, and put his own mind on the line regarding some very powerful perception-altering shamanic drugs.

conspiracy theorist

So, you can combine the two lists of labels. Do you agree with all of them?

Most are straightforward and plausible based on the planetary energy that they describe. Though the originator encourages astrologers to do research on planets in high focus in order to come up with more keywords for the planets. These weren't supposed to be the final word on the issue. Do you have keywords for the planets? I know you have some for the houses.

I like Pluto's in particular. Transcendence and detachment - the kind of detachment that is summed up well by a poster's signature on this forum - "The Universe doesn't care if it inconveniences you." The Moon gaining the intense label sits right with me for such a personal planet.

david starling

I think of Pluto as "transformative". The Moon is intense in some placements, but less so in others [IMO]. What about "underhanded" for Pluto? Haven't noticed it myself, but I haven't looked for it either.

katydid

That chart is not considered a bowl, if we use the standard definitions. A bowl is all planets within 180 degree rim.

This chart is a wedge or a bundle:

All planets are evenly distributed in one cluster - one third of the horoscope of about 120° (or less).

https://horoscopes.astro-seek.com/astrology-chart-shape/bundle

BOWL:
The Bowl Planetary Pattern (page 315 in You and the Universe) is a chart in which all ten planets are within approximately 180° of each other, or within half of the zodiacal circle. ... The two planets at the lips or rim of the Bowl may or may not be opposed; if they are, their opposition is known as the “rim opposition.”

Bowls are based upon the opposition which forms the rim of the bowl. The chart posted above has no opposition. It is a wedge and is much different than the standard Bowl pattern, in my opinion.

In the wedge pattern the rim is a Trine, not an opposition. So it is a different dynamic, based upon innate talents, ease with communication, and positivity. The Saturn/Mars trine is the rim of the wedge, and would indicate a very self motivated, rebellious pioneer perhaps.

Last edited:

david starling

That chart is not considered a bowl, if we use the standard definitions. A bowl is all planets within 180 degree rim.

This chart is a wedge or a bundle:

All planets are evenly distributed in one cluster - one third of the horoscope of about 120° (or less).

https://horoscopes.astro-seek.com/astrology-chart-shape/bundle

BOWL:
The Bowl Planetary Pattern (page 315 in You and the Universe) is a chart in which all ten planets are within approximately 180° of each other, or within half of the zodiacal circle. ... The two planets at the lips or rim of the Bowl may or may not be opposed; if they are, their opposition is known as the “rim opposition.”

What about :uranus:? That's outside the Cluster.

conspiracy theorist

I think of Pluto as "transformative". The Moon is intense in some placements, but less so in others [IMO]. What about "underhanded" for Pluto? Haven't noticed it myself, but I haven't looked for it either.

I think high focus deals more with the pure planetary energy taken to a superordinate degree such that the planet leaves its mark on the whole chart, based on the positioning of the planet in the pattern. Sign placement has no bearing on the judgement. Although it would be interesting if we could find charts with Air Moons as the planet in high focus to see if the intense keyword would hold true for them.

I do notice subversiveness with Pluto placements - some examples in my experience have been the insidious ways that Sun-Pluto individuals vie for social dominance and the encrypted language that Mercury-Pluto types utilize in different iterations of life.

HarmonE

I think with Uranus this can't be a bundle as it lies outside of the trine. At around 167 degrees from Mars it is short of an opposition but still provides the edge of the rim IMO

greybeard

Check the chart again Katy...look to Uranus who is 48 degrees from Saturn and if I recall about 168 degrees from the trailing planet. Uranus denies the bundle.

greybeard

Sort of a bundle with a tail. But the exceptional conditioning of Uranus impels him to strike out on his own, and he sort of leaves the bundle to mind the store. They complement each other.

katydid

OOPS! You guys are right. I didn't see that unaspected Uranus sitting out there.

[ Must be my Mercury/Jupiter exact opposition. Details, schmetails...:tongue:]

greybeard

One more comment.

McKeenan's chart is a bowl, but with an exemplary bundle included and containing all planets except Uranus. Uranus is "disconnected" in every way but the octile tying him to Saturn (?).

I didn't know who this man was, looked him up on Wikipedia, and was amazed as I watched his life emerge from his horoscope. And his deepest motivations are revealed in Uranus. The leading planet Vivifies...

I would interpret this first and foremost as a bowl with all its personality traits. But always present and effectual is the bundle substrate.

Two traits are shared by bundle and bowl: an intense character and great self-sufficiency. These would seem to be doubly emphasized.

The trine of Mars/Saturn is signaled as highly important in this chart because the trine delimits the included bundle. Also, the trine occurs in Fire.

Last edited:

greybeard

Two of the patterns, the bowl and the bundle, are self-enclosed. The rest are more open to the outer world. The bucket, with its handle signifying "single-mindedness", can be like a horse with blinders...and some examples of the splay are very self-intent.

But in general, or at least in the abstract, the other 5 patterns tend toward more openness than we find in the bundle and bowl.