Addiction in Natal Chart

chillertheater

Hello friends, new here.

I am curious as to your opinions about what in a natal chart could point to a problem with alcoholism and substance abuse.

I know I shouldn't cherrypick elements without considering the chart as a whole, but I have heard that Neptune's placement and aspects have something to do with addictive tendencies. I have Neptune in the sixth house of health so have to be careful about the substances I put into my body, and have been sober since 2001. My favorite singer and celebrity addict Joe Cocker had the same placement. His chart also says he was a huge introvert; all the planets are below the horizon. Interesting for a performer, but his loaded first house and Aries ascendant probably helped make him comfortable before an audience.

The other pattern I noticed in a lot of famous addicts was Neptune in Libra or Scorpio.

I have attached my chart. And Joe's, what the heck. I'd love to read an interpretation of his chart!

Thank you,

Cate

[Moved this post from someone else's Read My Chart thread. Read My Chart threads are only for the OP's chart. For a question about your own chart, start your own thread. - Moderator]

Attachments

• Astrology birth chart for Joe Cocker.pdf
    72.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Chillertheater natal chart.pdf
    111.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited by a moderator:

Osamenor

Staff member
The other pattern I noticed in a lot of famous addicts was Neptune in Libra or Scorpio.

That just reflects the generations those famous addicts belong to. Neptune was in those signs from 1942 to 1970. If you're looking through a database of late twentieth to early twenty-first century celebrities' charts, you will see Neptune in Libra or Scorpio a lot, because the majority of people listed there were born during those years.

Neptune's sign placement isn't indicative of addiction. If it were, everyone born in the same 14 year period would be an addict. But Neptune aspects to personal planets could be one risk factor for addiction.

My favorite singer and celebrity addict Joe Cocker had the same placement. His chart also says he was a huge introvert; all the planets are below the horizon.

Having the majority of planets below the horizon does not make the native an introvert. All that means is that they don't feel any particularly strong need to have their accomplishments and milestones recognized by others. This is the person who, if they get married, they'll be fine with just slipping down to the courthouse and not having a "real" wedding. Or, when they decide they're done with their studies, they don't care about completing an actual degree, unless they really need the degree to get a job.

In contrast, someone with the majority of planets above the horizon would tend to want milestones, like marriage or completion of school, recognized in some way. Not necessarily a big showy way, but it wouldn't just be a private accomplishment to them, they would want a tangible marker that others recognize. They're not necessarily an extrovert, though.

How comfortable a person is in the spotlight depends more on the signs they have emphasized. A lot of Aries in the chart suggests they're willing to do whatever it takes to get what they want, and if that means being visible, that means being visible. However, if a lot of Aries goes along with a lot of Pisces or Taurus, there will also be a more private side to that person, and their sense of privacy might make them not want the spotlight at all.

Last edited:

Lin

A strong Neptune, NOT otherwise engaged, or aspecting Moon or possibly other personal planets, can show a person is not using their Neptune constructively.

However, the worst part about Neptune is it's tendency to BLUR reality or desire to blur reality as reality is too difficult.
Also: When Neptune sits on the 4th house cusp....and sometimes other angles, the person has only a vague sense of ''identity'' or ''authentic self.''

Neptune rules deception, fantasy, escape. We can all do these things in a more positive way...but if we don't we will use or BE USED in a negative or addictive way....whether that addiction is a substance or a behavior. Often an addict will have several addictions, mixed behavioral and substance (alcohol included).

There are other clues. Heavy debilitated personal planets....squares, opps or inconjuncts to personal planets. Not enough aspects to personal planets.

It's never ONE thing....but the person's environment, luck and support or LACK of support can be the difference between being addicted and overcoming major issues in one's life.

Early traumas are often covered up (later) with addictive behaviors. Not getting the help they need leads to self destructive behaviors.

It's a BIG subject.
LIN

Cassiopeia

I wonder if it could also be the case with a Pluto signature/ strong Pluto - or Pluto on the angle? Pluto leads to obsession and addiction could be translated as "cannot let go of..." = addictive behaviour. Though I think obsession can be shorter lived and dropped for something else... while addiction can't.

As someone undergoing therapy for a long time for various issues, I was told that addiction covers trauma/ pain... so behind any addictive behaviour is something that needs relief. You can google Gabor Mate, he has excellent works on this topic, not astrology related, but worth exploring...

Last edited:

Cary2

Banned
I use midpoints and midpoint pictures in my work.

Contacts between Mars-Neptune and Saturn-Neptune are common in substance abuse. That may be aspects, or it may be midpoint pictures.

Joe Cocker has Sun square the Mars/Neptune midpoint, and that is a typical formation in many alcoholics are addicts. This also makes him a dramatic and exciting person with charisma.

You have Mars-Saturn square situated at the Sun/Neptune midpoint. When a significant aspect cuts across a midpoint, we allow a wider orb for the midpoint. Saturn is closer to square the mp, but the square from Saturn to Mars has impact on the Sun/Neptune midpoint.

Sun, Moon, Asc, Desc, Mc, Ic are the significators. With addicts one usually finds Mars/Neptune or Saturn/Neptune with these. Of course, a T-square of Mars-Neptune-Saturn also works. A Mars-Neptune conjunction or square will work too.

As with other astrology indications, it is merely tendencies.

Hi Cate,
When I am looking at addiction, I do look at Neptune, but I also look closely at Pisces. Pisces (ruled by Neptune) generally can indicate a high level of sensitivity and a deep need for spirituality. This combination often indicates a need to go "higher" sometimes in a literal sense to numb or take the faster track to spiritual oneness. I can see you have Pisces in your Moon and Chiron. These both indicate potential for addiction and also the deep healing emotionally that can come from overcoming addiction. I don't think of addiction as negative, it is simply "a path" to healing if transformed.

Cary2

Banned
Hunter Biden, https://www.astro.com/cgi/chart.cgi...BRwouGmJdpYqD6tH_o4JKdNysrFVZdczVHz7vYF0-s-YQ
Birthname Robert Hunter Biden
born on 4 February 1970 Place Wilmington, Delaware, 39n45, 75w33

In the Hunter Biden example, Saturn squares the Mars/Neptune midpoint. So, we find both Mars/Neptune and Saturn/Neptune. Among other things, he is a crack addict.

While I agree that Pisces has some tendencies, there is so much addiction, that the occurrence of Pisces is simply not wide enough to be a main indicator.