the Evangelical Right is a Politcal Creation.

rahu

Banned
http://www.rawstory.com/2018/01/tru...t-but-he-can-still-help-criminalize-abortion/

Trump evangelicals tell MSNBC: His racism is ‘contrary to Christ’ but he can still help ‘criminalize abortion’
..........................................................................................................
the evangelical right appeared out of nowhere in the 1950's. they have been used by rightwing political groups every since.
the most blatant use has been by the Bush during the2000 Iraq war and by Netanyahu's call for a divine monarchy in Israel.this is because the messiah mustcome first before Israel can become a country again. there are religious factions that maintain Israel is a rogue state because the messiah has not come back. but netanyahu uses the evangelical credo that jesus Christ is god and therefore Israel does have the religious right to exist. the ignorance and political undercurrents of the evangelical right are obvious when one realized messaiah means"a man anointed by god". if one reads the synoptic gospels, you will notice that Jesus is always referred to as Jesus the messiah. by definition the messiah cannot be god but must be a man.

the facts become apparent when one realizes that all religions have had prohibition of death of infants. but in all of recorded history ,not one religions ever placed the value of a unborn child over the mother.

whenever child it was recognized a pregnancy was endangering the mother's life, the mother's life was more important.

the only "religion" that challenged this ancient precept were the evangelicals, beginnning in the1950's. there is no religious belief of heritage prior to the 1950's that placed the unborn child's life over the mothers life and safety.

as history has show the 1950's were the beginning of the fascist takeover of the united sates by the intelligence agencies such as the cia. the"red scare" was intuited by a heroin addict named joseph McCarthy and supported by the cia ,fbi and the bureau of narcotics. these same agencies that now have gained total control over the mainstream media ad the government.

and now we have evangelicals saying ridiculous things such as above,
His racism is ‘contrary to Christ’ but he can still help ‘criminalize abortion’
rahu

rahu

Banned
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/01/ap...ccused-of-rape-shows-why-sorry-is-not-enough/

Apology from evangelical pastor accused of rape shows why sorry is not enough

as the #metoo movement shines a necessary, long overdue light on men in the workplace who have abused their power by sexually harassing and assaulting women, #churchtoo has entered this discussion while focusing on sexual violence waged, and often covered up by, men who serve as pastors and church leaders. One woman who felt emboldened to publicize her story recently, Jules Woodson, first gave her assailant, Andy Savage—then a youth minster at Woodlands Parkway Baptist Church in Texas and now a teaching pastor at Highpoint Church in Memphis—a chance to apologize to her personally. On December 1, 2017, Woodson wrote him an email with the subject heading “Do you remember me?”

Do you remember that night that you were supposed to drive me home from church and instead drove me to a deserted back road and sexually assaulted me? Do you remember how you acted like you loved me and cared about me in order for me to cooperate in such acts, only to run out of the vehicle later and fall to your knees begging for forgiveness and for me not to tell anyone what had just happened? Well, I REMEMBER.
Savage never replied to Woodson’s message. Instead, he took to the stage of his megachurch pulpit to repeat “I’m sorry” into a camera. 2017 was a year of apologies in the wake of the Harvey Weinstein allegations that sparked the #metoo movement. Savage’s performance managed to omit key details, merely calling it a “sexual incident,” as he repeatedly assured listeners that it took place “over 20 years ago.”
This article is reprinted with permission from Religion Dispatches. Follow RD on Facebook or Twitter for daily updates.
Lead pastor Chris Conlee set the scene for Savage’s public confession after the worship band finished rocking out in praise to God’s love. The atmosphere suddenly shifted from raucous gospel music to the somber ambient tones and minor chords of an electric organ as Conlee intoned, “Highpoint Church, in all of our locations, everybody watching online, I want you to know that we love you in an incredible way, and we are sincerely sorry.” Conlee adds that he is sorry to all the guests who may be visiting or viewing a service for the first time, but prays that “what you witness today will give you incredible confidence in what love is all about,” as he begins to sob.

Report Advertisement

Steadying his voice quickly, he concludes, “any person here is not choosing any side but God’s side, and God’s side is that he is for Miss Woodson one thousand percent. We want, Andy wants, Chris Conlee wants, Highpoint Church wants, every church in existence wants, healing for Miss Woodson, and for anyone who has suffered in any way…this church exists for the sole purpose of healing brokenness in every person’s life. Here’s what we say, and it’s because it’s what Jesus says, only love covers a multitude of sins, only love never fails, only love works.”
Before Conlee gives Andy Savage the spotlight he audibly whispers, “love you” while throwing an arm loosely over his shoulder. Savage begins his confession by stating in no uncertain terms that he has “never wanted to minimize anything about what’s taken place.”
His story continues, “As a college student on staff at a church in Texas over 20 years ago, I regrettably had a sexual incident with a female high school senior in the church. I apologized and sought forgiveness from her, her parents, her discipleship group, the church staff, and the church leadership, who informed the congregation. In agreement with wise counsel, I took every step to respond in a biblical way. I resigned from ministry and moved back home to Memphis. I accepted full responsibility for my actions. I was and remain remorseful for the incident, and deeply regret the pain that I caused her and her family, as well as the pain I caused the church and God’s kingdom…this incident was dealt with in Texas twenty years ago, but in the last few days it has been presented to a wider audience. I was wrong and accepted responsibility for my actions. I was sorry then and remain so today.”
“Again, I ask for forgiveness from her and everyone involved. When this happened twenty plus years ago, I did everything I knew to do under the counsel I was given to cooperate with those involved, repent of my sins, take responsibility for my actions and seek forgiveness. I never sought to cover this up…in hindsight I see that more could have been done for Jules. I am truly sorry that more was not done. Until now, I did not know there was unfinished business with Jules. So today I say, Jules I am deeply sorry for my actions toward you, twenty years ago…my repentance over this sin twenty years ago was done believing that God’s forgiveness is greater than any sin [looks directly into the camera], and I still believe that. Since then, I have tried to live my life in keeping with that original act of repentance, for any painful memories or fresh wounds this created for anyone [again, looks directly into the camera], I am sorry, and I humbly ask for your forgiveness. I love you all very much

News reports have noted that Savage received a standing ovation from congregants that lasted twenty seconds.
Jules Woodson’s account of the same “incident” in the spring of 1998 when she was seventeen is far more detailed.
He turned onto a dirt road and continued to drive. There were trees all around. I could not see the main road anymore…I asked what was back here. He told me they were building a church. I thought, maybe that’s what this was about, maybe he has some secret to tell me, like perhaps he was moving to another church. We reached a dead end and he turned the truck around before putting it in park. We were stopped, and he turned the headlights off. Suddenly, Andy unzipped his jeans and pulled out his penis. He asked me to suck it. I was scared and embarrassed, but I did it. I remember feeling that this must mean that Andy loved me. He then asked me to unbutton my shirt. I did. He started touching me over my bra and then lifted my bra up and began touching my breasts. After what I believe to have been about 5 minutes of this going on, he suddenly stopped, got out of the truck and ran around the back and to my side before falling to his knees. I quickly buttoned my shirt back up and got out of the truck. Now I was terrified and ashamed. I remember him pleading, while he was on his knees with his hands up on his head, ‘Oh my god, oh my god. What have I done? Oh my god, I’m so sorry. You can’t tell anyone Jules, please. You have to take this to the grave with you.’ He said that several times. My fear and shame quickly turned to anger. I had just been manipulated and used. I swore to him I wouldn’t tell anyone just to get him to stop. We both got back in the truck. As he drove me home, I don’t remember there being any conversation. I was in shock.
The next day, Woodson courageously reached out to Larry Cotton, the associate pastor of Woodlands Parkway Baptist Church, and told her story. After she finished, Cotton immediately asked for clarification that implied she must have been a willing participant in her own assault, “So you’re telling me you participated?” Woodson describes being overcome with shame and guilt. In effect, she had to endure yet another form of abuse, in this case spiritual rather than sexual, as she reached out to church leadership for protection and help in a moment of extreme vulnerability.
In return, Woodson was put on the defensive and re-traumatized as the violence done to her was trivialized and her story silenced in the name of protecting her abuser and the image of the church. Woodson was told to never speak of the assault to anyone, including her mother or legal authorities. In addition, she was told that Savage would never speak to her again. Woodson describes her feelings in the aftermath of this treatment:
As days passed I remember feeling more and more hopeless. I was confused as it seemed that Andy got to go about his day to day life, within the church and outside of it, as though nothing had ever happened. In fact, he led a 2-day event at the church, known as True Love Waits, promoting sexual purity not only in abstinence from intercourse before marriage, but also abstinence in any physical contact, actions and thoughts which might lead to sexual arousal. The irony had not been lost on me. Yet, here I was sinking deeper and deeper into this pit of depression. I had nowhere to go, no one to talk to. After all, I was given one job by the person I had sought help from (Larry,) and that was to keep my mouth shut.
Eventually, in a fit of tears, Woodson broke down during a women’s discipleship meeting and shared some of what had happened with Savage. Rumors began to circulate among church members that there had been an “innocent kiss” exchanged between them, nothing more. It’s at that point that Savage resigned his position as youth minister and moved back to Memphis.
As leaders rush to defend themselves and deflect blame for the overwhelming support shown by white evangelicals for the likes of Donald Trump and Roy Moore, they distinguish the “true” from the false evangelicals via “theological criteria,” which they use as a shield and weapon. However, the public performance by pastors Savage and Conlee serves as a stark, ugly example of the self-serving limitations of the generalized, 4-point theological criteria. Such a list of characteristics does not suffice for determining or actualizing sound theological praxis.
While Savage uses the word “repentance” in his confession, it has no weight or credence as he tells his story. If Savage had truly repented, this story would not have resurfaced. Woodson wouldn’t have had to bear the burden of reminding Savage of the “incident” later, only to be dismissed then humiliated from a pulpit in front of thousands. No matter how many times Savage and Conlee repeat the words, “sorry,” “love,” and “healing,” their apologetic countenance only exemplifies worldly sorrow as discussed in 2 Corinthians 7:10, “Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death.”
“I’m sorry” as public display is not the lexicon of repentance; it’s the language of worldly sorrow. Repentance isn’t publicly and vaguely articulated in the tenor of grief, it’s shared privately and in specific detail with the intent to enact change; it’s an ongoing process inspired by the desire and capacity to embody a theological praxis that bears the fruit of transformation and salvation, for both the sinner and the person sinned against.
If any theological criteria should be honored during this publicly debated crisis of identity among white evangelicals, it’s the gospel of repentance, not the “Biblicism” that contends that men such as Savage are qualified to preach from the pulpit simply because they are men. If, as it has been argued, repentance is the first word of the gospel, should it notbe a biblical principle and theological practice put to worldly use more often and purposefully than it is? Rather than the worldly sorrow inflected in their shameful apologies and blame shifting, white evangelical leaders might consider repentance their instrument and aim.
As the applause dies down, Conlee puts his hand on Savage’s shoulder and tells the congregation, “I know when you support Andy in that way, you are also supporting Miss Woodson. You are supporting her healing. You are praying for her, and we are willing, as individuals and as a church, to do whatever we can within the scope of what it means to offer spiritual healing, to do that, for Miss Woodson.” However, in the prayer that follows, Conlee demonstrates that his notion of spiritual healing has nothing to do with Woodson’s trauma and everything to do with upholding the work of, and his position in, the church.
“Holy Spirit would you take this prayer, and now, as thousands of people are praying, in agreement, in unison, would you touch Miss Woodson’s heart in a way that only you can, and heal her of the pain that was caused from this sin twenty years ago. God, would you also heal Andy, Amanda [his wife], and their family, from the lingering effects of this sin twenty years ago. And God, would you give every single one of us the ability to be more committed to what it means to love you, and to love other people and to live in such a way that we honor all people, and that we prove love works. We pray that in Jesus’ name, amen.”
Ms. Woodson watched this performance in disbelief and tearfully shared that she found it “disgusting.” She added that the violence against her had not been “dealt with,” because it had never been reported to legal authorities by the church. The statute of limitations has passed so the case can never be resolved in a court of law.
Meanwhile, Savage is taking a leave of absence from the pulpit. His public apology has called what happened with Woodson consensual, contradicting his pleas for forgiveness just days prior. During a radio interview, he dismissed his predatory behavior as the result of a “flirtatious environment” and called what transpired a “mutual organic moment.” In addition, the publication of his book The Ridiculously Good Marriage has been put on hold, as congregants wonder how Savage was granted the authority to teach a class on healthy relationships and sex within Christian marriage when the church knew of his history.
Until repentance is taken up by white evangelical leaders as vital theological praxis—an ongoing process of collective transformation that leads to practical, relational change with regard to sins of the past and present, including sexualized, racialized, and gendered violence and spiritual abuse shrouded in the lexicon of apology, love, and healing—expressions of worldly sorrow will only yield death.

rahu

Banned
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-address-u-anti-abortion-march-cementing-u-110623707.html

(as explained in previous post, the evangelical right is played off when political realties move against the right. here dumpf changes is view so that he has some one to cheer his failure as a politician and a human being, rahu)

Trump decries 'permissive' U.S. abortion laws at rally

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump criticized U.S. abortion laws as among the most permissive in the world in a speech to anti-abortion activists at the annual March for Life on Friday, and pledged his administration would always defend "the right to life."
The Republican president's speech, relayed via video link from the White House Rose Garden to thousands gathered on Washington's National Mall, highlighted his shift in recent years from a supporter of women's access to abortion to a powerful opponent.
"As you all know, Roe v. Wade has resulted in some of the most permissive abortion laws anywhere in the world," he said, criticizing the 1973 Supreme Court decision that affirmed a woman's right to an abortion at most stages of a pregnancy.
Trump said the United States "is one of only seven countries to allow elective late-term abortions," mentioning China and North Korea. "It is wrong. It has to change."
The other countries that allow elective abortions after 20 weeks are Canada, the Netherlands, Singapore and Vietnam, according to the Charlotte Lozier Institute, an anti-abortion research group.
Trump listed some anti-abortion measures his administration had taken, including an announcement earlier in the day by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The agency said it was revoking Obama administration legal guidance that had sought to discourage states from trying to defund organizations that provide abortion services, such as Planned Parenthood.
Roe v. Wade effectively legalized abortion nationwide. In the 45 years since the decision was issued on Jan. 22, 1973, the March for Life has been staged near the ruling's anniversary in protest.
"Because of you, tens of thousands of Americans have been born and reached their full, God-given potential," Trump, a Christian( really, drumpf said he was a Presbyterian, but then showed he did not even know what presbyteries believe in rahu) , told the marchers, who included many groups of students from Roman Catholic schools.
Trump has pledged to appoint more federal judges who oppose abortion with the hope that the ruling might eventually be overturned.
Trump is the third sitting president to address the march: Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush both made supportive remarks to the march at least twice each during their presidencies, speaking via telephone broadcast by loudspeakers.
Trump sent Vice President Mike Pence, a vocal abortion opponent, to speak at last year's march, a few days after the presidential inauguration. This year, Pence introduced Trump, saying the president would "restore the sanctity of life to the center of American law."
Many marchers, carrying signs with slogans such as "Pray to end abortion," said they were excited to hear from a president they see as an ally, but hesitated to point to any specific advancements in their agenda from Trump's first year in office.
"It's so refreshing to have a standing president who supports pro-life," Tim Curran, a 66-year-old grocer who had traveled to the march from Kentucky, said before the remarks and the march to the steps of the Supreme Court for a rally. "He seems to be moving us back in the direction of traditional families and morality."
The event came a day before the first anniversary of Trump's inauguration, a milestone to be marked by the second Women's March in cities across the United States, including Washington. Organizers hope to recreate last year's huge anti-Trump protests by hundreds of thousands of people who saw Trump as a foe of women's rights and reproductive freedom.
Trump previously supported women's access to abortion, saying in an interview in 1999, when he was still a celebrity real-estate tycoon in New York City, that while he "hated the concept of abortion," he was "very pro-choice."
As a candidate for the presidency in 2016, Trump said his position had "evolved," describing himself as "pro-life with exceptions," such as in cases of rape or incest.
Trump has said he hopes Roe v. Wade will eventually be overturned and that each state will instead be allowed to decide whether to ban it.
Americans tend to split roughly down the middle on abortion access, with 49 percent saying they supported it and 46 percent saying they opposed it in a 2017 Gallup poll.

rahu

Banned
one of the main problems with the evangelicia perspective is that when they accept Christ as their savior, very often they subconsciously idenitify as being god.
the most obvious example of this criticism is the cottage industry based around the phrase What Would Jesus Do,WWJD. since when can a individual know what jesus would do? is this not acting as if your are jesus?

I bring this up because of the following article .

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/01/te...ell-jury-that-god-wants-a-not-guilty-verdict/

Texas judge intervened in trial to tell jury that God wants a not guilty verdict

Last edited:

rahu

Banned
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/01/he...-trump-affair-with-adult-star-stormy-daniels/

He’s not President Perfect’: Watch Evangelist Franklin Graham blow off Trump affair with adult star Stormy Daniels

William Franklin Graham III, the son of evangelical televangelist Billy Graham, denied any hypocrisy from Christians supporting President Donald Trump.

Report Advertisement

Graham, the president and CEO of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, was questioned by MSNBC “Live” anchor Alex Witt on Saturday.
Witt asked Graham how he could support President Trump after his sh*thole comments.
“He said he didn’t say it,” Graham said. “I don’t think any of those senators, if he did use that language, have heard that word for the first time. I’m sure that’s a word they’ve used before, I think there’s a little hypocrisy here.”
“He said he didn’t say it, so I have to go along with the president in that he didn’t say it,” Graham claimed.

rahu

Banned
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/01/wa...ish-actress-god-pointed-trump-told-thats-man/
ctress Miriam Margolyes has been touring the United States for the past several months trying to talk with Trump voters to get a sense of why they voted the way they did.

Part of her travels took her to rural Tennessee, where she met a group of voters who claimed they didn’t trust anything about the federal government — but insisted that they had full trust in President Donald Trump, who now leads the federal government.
When asked to resolve this seeming paradox, one man explained that he saw Trump as being different from other politicians, as “Trump is trying to stop what they’ve started.”
Another voter then chimed in to offer a more supernatural explanation for his support of the president.
“We trust honorable people,” he said. “That’s why we love Donald Trump. A year and a half ago — this may sound odd — but, uh, I was sitting one day and God spoke to me and said [of Trump], ‘That’s my man.'”

Margolyes seemed taken aback by this answer and asked if there was anything that could convince him that Trump was actually not good for America — and she quickly understood based on his body language that there was not.
Watch the video below.

Last edited:

rahu

Banned
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/watch-senators-gasp-horror-evangelical-leader-asks-wish-aborted/
no religion in history ever placed the well being of the unborn child before the health of the mother before the evangelicals adopted this view point the 1950's. there wasn't such a unbending attitude toward abortion in any protestant religion leading up to the evangelical movement in the 1950s
Chuck Hurley, vice president and chief council of the evangelical group The Family Leader, on Thursday stunned lawmakers in Iowa when he asked them if they wish they had been aborted.

At a state Senate Judiciary subcommittee hearing on Thursday, lawmakers discussed Senate Study Bill 3143, which would ban most abortions by making it a felony for doctors to terminate pregnancies if a fetal heartbeat can be detected

rahu

Banned

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/co...nia-trump-fighting-voodoo-demons-white-house/

When the president allowed 40 pastors to come in to the White House and anoint him with oil and lay their hands and pray on him—seven times he’s done this—that is unheard of,” Begley said on his “Coming Apocalypse” program, according to Right Wing Watch.
“At least he is humble enough and recognizing that he needs God enough that he keeps bringing them in for the prayer. And I’ve got to say this, it might have started with the first lady.”

rahu

Banned
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/devil-delighted-see-evangelicals-defending-trump-gop-costs-christian-writer/
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/devil-delighted-see-evangelicals-defending-trump-gop-costs-christianUS

Donald Trump in Cleveland prayer huddle -- (YouTube screen grab)
An evangelical Christian writer finds herself increasingly wary of fellow Christians who see it as their duty to defend President Donald Trump and the Republican Party at all costs.
Writing at AL.com, evangelical Dana Hall McCain says that too many Christian leaders have become infatuated with maintaining power within the federal government, which is corrupting their duty to serve God and Christ above all else.
“When we believe that government — rather than our own submission to Christ and evangelism — is the whole ballgame, or even the most important facet of it, we become vulnerable to all sorts of compromises needed to win and maintain power,” she writes. “Truth is no longer what we pursue at all costs–power is, because we believe we can’t live without it.

McCain then calls out evangelicals for not being more compassionate on helping out undocumented immigrants who came to the United States as children, and she believes Christian teaching would mandate trying to find a solution that would let these people stay in the United States without fear of deportation.
She also says that she can’t stay silent when Trump says things that are baldly dishonest, even if she appreciates some of the policy wins that he’s given to evangelical Christians.
“We’ve lost the guts needed to take our own people to the woodshed, because we’ve believed that our primary job is to beat Democrats instead of the Devil,” she writes. “The Devil is delighted by this misunderstanding.”
Read the whole column at this link.

rahu

Banned
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/watch-christian-author-wrote-book-trumps-newfound-love-jesus-believes-presidents-spiritual-voyage-genuine/
(letting evangelical pastor rub oil into his hair 7 times does not make trump Christian, it makes him a hypocritical narcissist .trump has said he is Presbyterian but does not know the slightest thing that Presbyterians believe in .rahu)
WATCH: Christian author who wrote book on Trump’s newfound love of Jesus believes the president’s ‘spiritual voyage’ is genuine
25 Feb 2018 at 17:33 ET The author of a controversial new book which claims Donald Trump’s newfound Christian beliefs are sincere stopped by MSNBC to talk about Trump’s religionDavid Brody’s just-published The Faith of Donald J. Trump: A Spiritual Biography, from Harper Collins, claims that the president’s newfound Christian beliefs are sincere. He interviewed Trump in the oval office. Trump identified himself as “a believer.”
Brody stepped onto MSNBC to discuss the president’s “spiritual voyage” which has happened when Trump sought office.
Brody branded the newly pious man as “the grandfather Donald Trump” and said he has not been involved in any “escapades” over the last two years.
“This is a deeply researched book. I’m a journalist so I’m not coming out necessarily and saying all this, I’m putting it all out there from people who are close to him who have talked to him about his spiritual walk.” Brody said.
Brody is a journalist, of sorts: He works for Pat Robertson’s Christian Broadcasting Network.
“It doesn’t matter of you’ve sinned one time, 30 times, a million times, God’s there for you, even if you’re 71 years old and you’re president of the United States, until you breath your last breath Jesus wants you in heaven and so here we go,” he said. “Donald Trump has had an interesting life, a rough life—when I say rough I mean he’s had a lot of moral failings, for sure.”
Brody did allow that Trump “is not Mike Pence.”
esbyterian church

rahu

Banned
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/03/ev...on-trump-backing-christians-used-care-morals/

One evangelical leader is absolutely fed up with fellow Christians who go out of their way to make excuses for President Donald Trump’s behavior.
Collin Hansen, the Alabama-based editorial director of the Gospel Coalition, tells ABC News that he has watched with increasing alarm the way that top American evangelicals such as Jerry Falwell Jr. have continued to back Trump no matter what he says or does.
“You used to think morality is important,” Hansen said. “Now, morality is not important. You used to think repentance is important. President Trump says that he’s never had anything to ask forgiveness for. I mean it is very confusing.”
Hansen went on to say that evangelicals’ embrace of Trump was symbolic of a greater moral rot within their movement. In particular, he said that some evangelicals were so concerned about blocking advances of LGBT rights or stopping Muslim immigrants from entering the country that they’ve embraced a man whose morals are the exact opposite of what a Christian’s should be.
“We’re ignoring the corruption inside the church — the moral corruption, the theological corruption, because we’re trying to protect the church against what we see as these outside threats, whether it be the gay rights lobby or abortion rights or Muslim refugees or illegal immigrants,” he said. “Meanwhile the compromises being made on the inside have the possibility of truly destroying the credibility of American Christian witness.”

rahu

Banned
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/03/tr...nsylvania-republican-threatens-rule-fear-god/
Trump throws support behind Pennsylvania Republican who threatens to ‘rule with the fear of God’

Christian nationalist pseudo-historian David Barton and Sam Rohrer, a former Pennsylvania state representative who now heads the American Pastors Network, led an opening prayer for Saccone’s senatorial campaign.
Afterward, reported Right Wing Watch, Saccone appeared on Rohrer’s radio program, where he said that he is running for Congress because God wants “people who will rule with the fear of God in them to rule over us.”

Those comments, and Saccone’s close association with Barton and Rohrer, illustrate his view of government as the political arm of the church.
Saccone credits divine intervention for Trump’s election win and warns God will judge the United States for placing women in positions of political leadership, and he blamed the mass shooting at an Orlando gay nightclub on LGBT rights.
“For two generations, our children have not been taught the virtue of the founding and the founders,” Saccone said during a 2015 prayer rally. “Secularists have disparaged our past and erased any trace of our godly heritage. They deny American exceptionalism and they condemn patriotism. And I tell you this, if we don’t teach our children to honor God and love their country, the secularists will teach them not to.”

rahu

Banned
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/03/em...women-fleeing-trump-praying-alternative-2020/
‘We are all embarrassed’: Evangelical women are fleeing Trump and praying for an alternative before 2020
According to a deep dive into President Donald Trump’s Christian base, white women who identify themselves as “evangelicals” are having a hard time stomaching the president they voted for in 2016 because they believed he shared their values.
Responding to inquiries from the New York Times, the demographic that went solidly for Trump are having a form of buyers remorse, loving what Trump stands for, while loathing how he has conducted himself in the White House. Added to that, the continuing scandals that have now grown to include a reported sexual relationship with a **** star soon after his third wife gave birth to their son.

As one woman put it: “We are embarrassed.”
According to the Pew Research Center, support for Trump among white evangelical women in recent surveys has dropped from about 13 percentage points down to 60 percent, compared with about a year ago. That downward spiral is appreciably larger than the 8-point Trump approval drop among all women.
Carol Rains, a white evangelical Christian who hails from Dallas, said she still supports Trump’s agenda, but wishes it was championed by someone a bit more palatable.
“I would like for someone to challenge him, but it needs to be somebody that’s strong enough to go against the Democrats,,” Rains explained as one of her friends, Linda Leonhart added, “I will definitely take a look to see who has the courage to take on a job like this and do what needs to be done.”

Like many evangelicals, the women indicated that the question of where the candidate stands on abortion is paramount when it comes to support, but admitted that Trump’s “pettiness, impulsiveness, profanity and name calling” is cringeworthy.
“Certainly we are all embarrassed, but for the most part he represents what we stand for,” explained Leonhart.
According to Christian radio host Carmen Fowler LaBerge, “I don’t know any evangelical woman who is going to defend the character of the president. Many things the president says and does are things that many evangelicals use as examples with our kids of what they should not do.”
Karen Swallow Prior, a professor at staunchly Christian Liberty University who claimed she didn’t vote for Trump, explained that his conduct since being elected has opened many eyes, and she is pleased that some of her fellow Christians are finally seeing the light.
“Now that Trump is in office and we are evaluating his performance then, I am glad to see that people are less in lockstep and thinking critically about him as a leader, and it doesn’t surprise me that his overall support would decline from 80 percent,” she explained.
“I was one of those culture war evangelicals in the ’80s and ’90s,” she continued. “I was appalled by the candidacy and presidency of Bill Clinton. It was hammered into my mind that character mattered, and that did change when Trump came along. In some ways, I felt betrayed by my evangelical peers who taught me and cemented in me the idea that character matters. I didn’t abandon that belief. I feel like some evangelicals did.”
According to William Martin, author of “With God on Our Side,” evangelical Christians may have reached the end of their patience with Trump no matter how closely his ideology aligns with theirs.
“It may simply be that there’s not a single breaking point as much as a tipping point, the ‘Oh Lord, I can’t stand another one of these,’” he pronounced.
You can read the whole report here.

Last edited:

rahu

Banned
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/03/tr...ol-board-raging-racial-mixing-white-genocide/

Trump-loving pastor resigns from school board after raging about racial mixing and ‘white genocide’
The Bangor Daily News reported Monday that Robert “Bob” Celeste, a member of the RSU 17 school board in Western Maine, claims his resignation “had nothing to do with the fools that say, ‘That’s racist.’”

“They can’t even define ‘racist,'” the board member who once posted a meme that depicted a white mother warning her daughter to not “betray her race” said.
After the Islamic State took credit for a terrorist attack in Paris, France in 2015, Celeste shared a post that appeared to threaten Muslims.
“To all Muslims,” the post read. “The USA has the highest concentration of Armed Christians in the world, just in case you forget.”
When speaking to the Daily News about his resignation, the erstwhile school board member said that “born-again Christians should not be putting their kids in a public school,” and that students in Maine schools are taught “lies,” including that “that racism is anyone that disagrees with Islam.”

Along with serving on the Western Maine school board, Celeste is also the “senior pastor” at ChristianPatriot.com. A perusal of his Facebook page reveals a number of posts made in admiration of President Donald Trump. He also regularly shares posts from fringe right-wing sites including Breitbart, and appears to be a proponent of the Pizzagate conspiracy

rahu

Banned
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/03/bl...riter-rakes-evangelicals-coals-trump-support/
Michael Gerson, a former speechwriter for George W. Bush, has written a lengthy piece in The Atlantic raking evangelical Christians who back President Donald Trump over the coals.
In particular, Gerson notes that the values that Trump espouses on a regular basis are values that have in the past been antithetical to Christian morals.

“Trump’s unapologetic materialism — his equation of financial and social success with human achievement and worth — is a negation of Christian teaching,” he writes. “His tribalism and hatred for ‘the other’ stand in direct opposition to Jesus’s radical ethic of neighbor love. Trump’s strength-worship and contempt for ‘losers’ smack more of Nietzsche than of Christ. Blessed are the proud. Blessed are the ruthless. Blessed are the shameless. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after fame.”
Gerson also says that there are no good excuses for evangelicals’ embrace of Trump, which he believes is a cynical calculation made to get them policy wins.
“This is not mere gullibility; it is utter corruption,” he writes. “Blinded by political tribalism and hatred for their political opponents, these leaders can’t see how they are undermining the causes to which they once dedicated their lives.”
Gerson, who was raised as an evangelical Christian, says that watching evangelical leaders prostrate themselves before Trump has been particularly painful on a personal level, as he sees these leaders debasing their entire faith in the name of political power.

The corruption of a political party is regrettable,” he writes. “The corruption of a religious tradition by politics is tragic, shaming those who participate in it.”

Last edited:

rahu

Banned
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/03/wh...s-really-care-one-thing-everything-else-sham/
White evangelical Christians really only care about one thing — and everything else is a sham
abortion is murder.
That refrain played in my head as I closed the curtain in the polling booth, the sounds of the social hall echoing around me. The same refrain played every time I convinced myself I’d vote for John Kerry instead of George W. Bush—what would amount to blasphemy in my evangelical world. As a youth pastor at a Southern California megachurch, voting Democrat was not unlikely; it was unthinkable. The few times I garnered the courage to admit my uncertainty to other ministers they looked at me in disbelief. Despite my reasoning that the war in Afghanistan was leading to the deaths of innocent people and that more support for the poor, for single parents, and for education all seemed to align with Jesus’ message, my spiritual elders always repeated the refrain back to me: abortion is murder.
Alone in the booth, the billowing voices and squeaky sneakers on the wood floor and exasperated sighs from nearby voters fell silent. There was only one voice, that of “the unborn,” reminding me over and over: Abortion is murder. Despite being convinced that Bush was a liar and foolhardy leader, when I went to check the box all I could think about was having blood on my hands. It didn’t matter, I told myself, if hundreds or even thousands died in Afghanistan, or if tax cuts would hurt the most vulnerable, or if stem cell research could save lives. There was always the trump card: How could I vote for someone who would allow millions of “unborn babies” to die?
Bush’s second term coincided with my deconversion from evangelicalism. By 2004 I began openly questioning my church elders on matters related to biblical interpretation, church norms, and moral priorities. When I left the church in 2005 to pursue a master’s degree in the UK, the senior pastor’s last words were more of a warning than a farewell: “Don’t go crazy liberal on us so you can come back to visit someday.”
Fast forward a decade and a half: As a professor at a predominantly secular liberal arts college in the northeast, it isn’t fashionable to admit to my colleagues and friends that I voted for George W. Bush twice. My actions came down to a simple logic that absolved me from losing sleep over the fate of babies and bodies under the Bush regime. When concern about the fate of Iraqi innocents crept into my consciousness, I thought about all the angels who would die if we didn’t work to overturn Roe vs. Wade. When immigration debates raged in California, there was no imperative to think hard about how my faith would inform my vote. Whoever and whatever was against abortion would get my support. Problem solved.

A decade later, that zero-sum logic still drives evangelical politics. Many friends and colleagues have asked me when evangelicals will stop supporting Trump. My answer: when he reverts back to being pro-choice. The abortion trump card is the evangelical Trump card. The affairs with **** stars, the stunning lack of empathy and leadership (golfing instead of spending time with families of Parkland victims), the dog-whistle racism, childish tweets, the petty character of revenge. None of this matters because the politics can be reduced to simple refrain: abortion is murder. A vote for the anti-abortion candidate is thus always morally good. Even if it’s Donald Trump.
I don’t want to unpack the details of why evangelical approaches to abortion simplify (and often outright ignore) complex biological, cultural, and philosophical issues. I don’t even want to get into the well-documented fact that race, more than Roe vs. Wade created the current iteration of white evangelical politics. In the wake of the Parkland shooting, my focus is on how such tragedies bring back the dissonance I felt, but couldn’t articulate or act upon as my faith wavered in that voting booth in 2003. When evangelicals fail to wail, cry, mourn, scream, and protest when children are murdered at school like they do when it comes to abortion, the logic of the zero-sum game unravels. Even if one granted the false position that every abortion is equivalent to murder, tragedies such as school shootings reveal that the evangelical Trump card, like many of Trump’s promises and businesses, is built on a house of sand.
Evangelicals carry their guns with them more often than other Americans, and most don’t think gun-control measures are constitutional or biblical. When I measure these components against the willingness to stake political support for Trump (or any other politician), I’m reminded that there’s another component to evangelical care for “the unborn,” one I know firsthand. It provides an escape from the messy responsibility of being embodied.
Defending rights to a handheld killing machine and claiming compassion for “the unborn,” all while flittering past the blood of the born and the bodied, brings to words something I intuited but couldn’t say in 2003: the abstract compassion for “the unborn” is easier than the fleshy, bodily, messy love for those annihilated at the hands of an AR-15 (or a drone). Evangelical love for the innocent is ad hoc; it doesn’t apply to everyone. It’s selective outrage masked as holy indignation.
But it serves a key function. First, you get to deny the messy stakes of loving the born and bodied—those with melanin in their skin, different kinds of hair, genderqueer expressions, immigrant parents, and non-Christian faiths. Second, you get to deny the messiness of the social contract—of the political realm and all its irreducible details and multiple voices. You are absolved of responsibility for the brown skin of Dreamers, the unwashed hair of refugees, the cry of bullied trans teenagers, the mourning songs from families of black men and women killed by police. Myopic and unwavering focus on abortion is the way to avoid the carnality of living, breathing beings. The way to get away from bodies. Away from the bodies of murdered children. Away from the body politic. It’s a way to render love for angels, while pretending you are one.
In retrospect, I am ashamed of my evangelical quietism. While I will always admire the moral determination of my ex-brothers and sisters, I now mourn their unwillingness to engage the complexities of material and political life, and the destruction thereof at the hands of gunmen in our schools.
When I go to sleep at night images of Trump and Wayne LaPierre and dozens of evangelical friends float through my head as a new refrain plays.

Last edited:

rahu

Banned

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/03/go...n-trump-forced-stormy-abortion-none-business/

Amy Kremer, a former tea party leader and failed GOP congressional candidate, on Sunday insisted that the news media had “no business” talking about President Donald Trump’s alleged affair with adult film star Stormy Daniels — even if he had tried to force her to have an abortion.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/03/di...-kremer-start-spinning-stormy-daniels-affair/

“It certainly destroys the credibility of the rightwing Evangelical Christian-based party that spend decades talking about family values and how moral they were and how holier-than-thou they were, and then they support Donald Trump,” he said. “The hypocrisy is stunning.”
Kremer was nonplussed.
“People did not elect him because he is a preacher,” she said. “They didn’t elect him to be a pastor.”

Last edited:

rahu

Banned

http://luckovich.blog.ajc.com/2018/03/30/03-30-mike-luckovich-give-me-a-t/

lk033018_color.jpg

rahu

Banned
(this article is a bit disingenuous because extremist religious groups whether Hassidic, Islamic or Amish all relegate women to subservient roles rahu)
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/04/co...ingness-use-violence-prevent-womens-autonomy/

What connects the religious right to Trump? The willingness to use violence to prevent women’s autonomy
t’s been a week since Kevin Williamson, a conservative columnist who had recently been hired by the Atlantic, lost his job after it became clear that he sincerely believed that women who get abortions should be executed by hanging. Still, fury in conservative media has not abated, as evidenced by the constant stream of articles defending Williamson, who had argued that abortion is “worse than your typical murder.”

Report Advertisement
Few of Williamson’s defenders will come right out and say what it is, exactly, that Williamson believes (which is that nearly a million women — roughly 20 percent of all women who become pregnant — should be put to death in gruesome fashion). Still, the rabid defenses of Williamson may give us some insight into why so many conservatives were ready to vote for Donald Trump, even after the infamous “Access Hollywood” tape where he was caught bragging about kissing and groping women against their will.
What connects the religious right to Trump’s sexual objectification of women is not just misogyny. It’s the willingness to use violence against women to dominate them and deprive them of sexual autonomy.
Anti-choice activists, it should be noted, understand that the public at large is squeamish at the idea of using overt violence against women to dissuade displays of sexual autonomy. That’s why so many people on the religious right insist that they are not in favor of punishing women who have abortions. Instead, they go with “for their own good”-style arguments, portraying women as soft-headed children who are incapable of making health care decisions for themselves and need the state to gently but insistently force childbirth on them.
But the impulse to violently punish women for sexual autonomy is never that far from the surface. Instead of pulling a Williamson and outright calling for painful deaths for all wayward women, anti-choice activists wallow in fantasies where women are brought to violent ends (which they clearly deserve) through their errant insistence on making their own sexual and reproductive choices.

Last edited:

rahu

Banned
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/04/white-evangelical-support-trump-grows/

White evangelical support for Trump grows
A new poll suggests that President Donald Trump’s base of white evangelical support was not hurt at all by his lawyer’s hush money to Stormy Daniels, nor by revelations that the married President had a year-long affair with an adult film actress after First Lady Melania gave birth to their son Barron. On the contrary, as reports of Trump’s infidelities and shady business deals have piled up, white evangelical Protestants — among the nation’s most socially conservative, law-and-order voters — have only come to hold more favorable attitudes about Trump.
Social conservatives’ support of the man Evangelical candidate Ted Cruz once decried as possessing “New York values” looks counterintuitive. And it once was.

During the 2016 primary season, white evangelicals were largely divided in their opinion of Trump, with roughly equal numbers holding favorable and unfavorable views, according to Robert Jones, whose Public Religion Research Institute regularly polls Americans about politics and religion.

But once Republicans nominated him, his favorability among white evangelicals jumped to 61 percent in September 2016. Once elected, Trump packed his cabinet with members of the political God squad, and made items on their agenda — anti-gay and anti-choice — a priority.

White evangelical Protestants have only grown more Trump-drunk since the election. In October 2017, 73 percent of white evangelicals supported Trump.

Now, according to a poll conducted in late March, after the Stormy Daniels story was widely discussed, support has risen to a record 75 percent. The new poll, to be released today by PRRI, also shows Trump has the lowest unfavorable ratings — 22 percent — among Evangelicals in any survey since PRRI first asked the Trump question in 2015.

Solid support for the President, however, comes as white evangelicals find themselves on the decline.

Large-scale polls conducted over the last ten years by PRRI indicate that white evangelicals as a percentage of Americans have been on a downward trend for at least a decade, as they steadily decline as a percent of the population. In 2006, they accounted for 23 percent of those surveyed, but as of 2017, they represented just 15.3 percent of the population.

Evangelicals’ fervent support of Trump is not universally shared by a crucial, and rapidly evaporating subset of the white Evangelicals — their children — who are leaving the faith in droves over its anti-LGBT and anti-science positions.

Only 35 percent of white evangelicals are under the age of 50, compared to 54 percent of the population, according to the PRRI. And they are bleeding youth: Only 8 percent of white evangelicals are under the age of 30, compared to 21 percent of the American population.