Astrology Book Recommendations

dr. farr

Also check out Robert Hand's "Whole Sign Houses"-the book that first talked about the original whole sign house format, and which led me into experiments which demonstrated (to me) the superiority (accuracy wise) of the whole sign house format over all other house system models...

Senecar

Also check out Robert Hand's "Whole Sign Houses"-the book that first talked about the original whole sign house format, and which led me into experiments which demonstrated (to me) the superiority (accuracy wise) of the whole sign house format over all other house system models...

Thank you for your recommendation. I will check them out soon.
Do you use the Whole Sign Houses for every type of charts? - even Horary?

Zaphod

I'm reading Planets in Composite by Hand and I hate it lol

I worked with Planets in Composite back in the early '80s and went from there into the work of John Addey, doing a whole range of harmonic charts, but I eventually went back to synastry. Interestingly, my favorite book of Hand's from the psychological astrology period is Planets in Youth since it isn't just applicable to childhood, but has quite a bit of "meat" in it for general chart delineation. I haven't caught up to his traditional stuff yet.

Senecar

Yes indeed, he's highly recommended. I just didn't fit into the composite approach,

Arroyo, Greene, Hand, Sasportas, Rudhyar, Addey... they're all the ENGLISH modern fundamentals, aha. There are many other schools.

I still have not read single thing about relational astrology or synastry or composite chart stuff. As far as these topics are concerned, my mind is literally "tabula rasa".

I was planning to start with Steven Forrest's Skymates books, then move up to Rob Hand or Arroyo.

Senecar

Yes, for every type of chart.

I see. I use the Whole House system a lot recently, but if the planets are in not favorable houses, then I also try the other house systems trying to shift them about. Some makes difference, others don't. I suppose importance is the accuracy.

I have placed an order for the book you recommended "
Introduction to Traditional Natal Astrology: A Complete Working Guide for Modern Astrologers by Charles Obert.

Thank you.

Senecar

"Introduction to Traditional Natal Astrology" by Obert is a good place to start, in learning the basics of the traditionalist approach.

This book has arrived today, and it looks a very nice book indeed. I just learned the difference between the Traditional and Modern Astrology in terms of definition and methodology from its chapter 1. It looks a great book to learn the foundation of Natal Astrology.

Thank you for the recommendation.

The Cat astrologer

I would also recommend: Deborah Houlding "The houses: temples of the sky".
A book that examines very well the houses, their origin and their meanings, well written and helps to understand the fundations of a fundamental component of Astrology.

rojochispa

By far, the most important book that that I have read that tells you what astrology is all about is Noel Tyl's, Holistic Astrology, The Analysis if Inner and Outer Environments. Long out of print but well worth the search in the internet used book stores.
I think I mentioned this before here

Alchem

Economics. Louise McWhirter astrology and stock market forecasting.

George Bayer. Expert Stock and Grain.

Any books on WD Gann.

Meteorology. Kris Riske. Predicting the weather.

George McCormack. Some weather fundamentals.

C Zain. Weather prediction. A Hermetic Science.

Probability Theory. (Gambling.) Any books by Jack Gillen. Articles by Jack Gillen are easier to find. Joyce Wehrman.

Medicine. Astrological Timing of critical illness. Noel Tyl.

Traditional Medical Astrology. Lee Lehman.

Psychology. Planets in Therapy. Greg Bogart.

Missang333

What do you all think of Linda Goodman's astrology books? I looked through her sun signs book a few times and had a bit of a hard time relating to it because it was published so long ago. At the same time, though, there were some reasonably good points- especially since I am a novice and looking for good 101 books. It's just that, I don't know how seriously I could take her books and wonder if anyone has looked through more of them (or looked in a more in-depth way) and has an opinion on them.

She is...or was...in my opinion...the best astrologer! I highly recommend her thick book called Love Signs for anyone who wants to learn of compatibility readings. It helps to know your exact birth time to truly interpret your chart.

wassed

I've been reading The Inner Sky by Steven Forrest for a while. I think it's the best book for a beginner since it's both fun and entertaining.