Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > Anything Else... > Chat

Chat For posts that don't have to do with astrological chart interpretation, but they're still important to you. Gossip, show off, hot topic, spiritual thoughts, Sun sign astrological discussions, chit chat: come in and share!

Unread 07-06-2020, 11:29 PM
Senior Member, Moderator

Aunt on Facebook

I have lots of extended family who I'm not that close to but keep in touch with on Facebook. Mostly, it's just a post here and there about what people are up to, an occasional hi-how-are-you message, things like that. One of my aunts likes to post viral political-religious memes, of the right wing variety. Which is the polar opposite of most of my views, but whatever, I mostly just ignore it.

Just recently, though, she gave me a perfect opportunity to step in, when she posted the rumor that Facebook has banned the Lord's Prayer. Her son, my cousin, said no, it's a hoax, while I obliged her request to post the Lord's Prayer by posting this translation.

My aunt didn't respond to that, but the next meme she posted was... pretty racist, and I'm not sure how to respond to that. You never win arguments on Facebook. You never win arguments with family, least of all distant family. But I feel a bit of moral obligation to not let stuff like this go. Unlike the Lord's Prayer hoax, I can't think of a good humored way to clap back.

What would you all do?
Private messages welcome if they're moderation-related matters or personal messages for me, but please do not send me astrological questions or chart reading requests. I only answer those on the forum, in my practice, and on my blog at https://www.thebearsnose.com/, a separate site from this one.

Not receiving an answer to your natal chart-based question? You are welcome to submit it to the Ask the Astrologer feature on my blog, provided that it follows the feature's ground rules.
Unread 07-07-2020, 04:03 AM

Re: Aunt on Facebook

You've given a good example of why I let my Facebook account lapse.

If you've got your aunt's horoscope, you might be in a good position to sleuth out the best way to communicate.

Maybe thank your cousin, point out that social media are full of hoaxes, and post something inspiring by a member of the visible minority that most upsets your aunt.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.
The Following User Says Thank You to waybread For This Useful Post:
Osamenor (07-07-2020)
Unread 07-07-2020, 06:14 PM
Senior Member, Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post

If you've got your aunt's horoscope, you might be in a good position to sleuth out the best way to communicate.
I don't. I'm not even sure of her birthdate. She's an aunt by marriage, and technically not even that anymore, she and my uncle have been divorced a long time. But she's my cousins' mom and I grew up knowing her (though not closely) as an aunt, so I still think of her that way.

Quote:
Maybe thank your cousin, point out that social media are full of hoaxes, and post something inspiring by a member of the visible minority that most upsets your aunt.
I hit the like button on my cousin's post, all right. I am thinking of putting something on my own feed about what Black Lives Matter does and doesn't mean.
Private messages welcome if they're moderation-related matters or personal messages for me, but please do not send me astrological questions or chart reading requests. I only answer those on the forum, in my practice, and on my blog at https://www.thebearsnose.com/, a separate site from this one.

Not receiving an answer to your natal chart-based question? You are welcome to submit it to the Ask the Astrologer feature on my blog, provided that it follows the feature's ground rules.
The Following User Says Thank You to Osamenor For This Useful Post:
waybread (07-07-2020)
Unread 07-07-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamenor View Post
I have lots of extended family who I'm not that close to but keep in touch with on Facebook. Mostly, it's just a post here and there about what people are up to, an occasional hi-how-are-you message, things like that. One of my aunts likes to post viral political-religious memes, of the right wing variety. Which is the polar opposite of most of my views, but whatever, I mostly just ignore it.

Just recently, though, she gave me a perfect opportunity to step in, when she posted the rumor that Facebook has banned the Lord's Prayer. Her son, my cousin, said no, it's a hoax, while I obliged her request to post the Lord's Prayer by posting this translation.

My aunt didn't respond to that, but the next meme she posted was... pretty racist, and I'm not sure how to respond to that. You never win arguments on Facebook. You never win arguments with family, least of all distant family. But I feel a bit of moral obligation to not let stuff like this go. Unlike the Lord's Prayer hoax, I can't think of a good humored way to clap back.

What would you all do?

What was the meme? I ask because everything can be considered "racist" nowdays.

https://antiqueastrology.wordpress.com/

You'll also find some tips for horary practice!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dirius For This Useful Post:
JUPITERASC (07-07-2020), katydid (07-07-2020), Osamenor (07-07-2020)
Unread 07-07-2020, 06:10 PM
Senior Member, Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirius View Post
What was the meme? I ask because everything can be considered "racist" nowdays.
I won't pass it on because it's racist enough to be against this site's rules. I'll just say it starts with a response to Black Lives Matter that says, essentially, no they don't.

For perspective, my aunt lives in a very white area, and pretty conservative, too. Think Bible Belt. I don't think she's consciously racist so much as falling for the ideology when she hears it. But, that's really how racism usually works. And to put it in perspective even more, I've heard some casually racist statements coming from left coast liberals closer to home. They just go about it in a different way. But that's not who I'm connected to on Facebook.

Unread 07-07-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I won't pass it on because it's racist enough to be against this site's rules. I'll just say it starts with a response to Black Lives Matter that says, essentially, no they don't.

For perspective, my aunt lives in a very white area, and pretty conservative, too. Think Bible Belt. I don't think she's consciously racist so much as falling for the ideology when she hears it. But, that's really how racism usually works. And to put it in perspective even more, I've heard some casually racist statements coming from left coast liberals closer to home. They just go about it in a different way. But that's not who I'm connected to on Facebook.

I wouldn't do anything then. I presume she is from an older generation. Its not like you are going to change her mind.

Unread 07-07-2020, 07:57 PM
Senior Member, Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirius View Post
I wouldn't do anything then. I presume she is from an older generation. Its not like you are going to change her mind.
You're right, I won't change her mind. That's part of the dilemma. But I also feel that putting up another perspective could be useful, if not for my aunt personally, then for the others who see it. At the very least, it wouldn't be complicit silence on my part.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Osamenor For This Useful Post:
leomoon (07-09-2020), waybread (07-07-2020)
Unread 07-07-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
At the very least, it wouldn't be complicit silence on my part.
I don't get that expression "complicit silence". Why would you be responsible for someone elses opinion or action?

I think you are trying to convince yourself to go ahead and post something, even if you feel unsure if you should. The question you should ask, is why you think you have to say something to begin with.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dirius For This Useful Post:
Osamenor (07-08-2020)
Unread 07-11-2020, 02:50 AM

https://youtu.be/0DcN6wNKxZA
Unread 07-11-2020, 08:22 PM

I can't help it.

13% looks like Sangers project worked

Fatherless homes

First step act
Unread 07-11-2020, 09:39 PM

Smile Re: Aunt on Facebook

Quote:
The term "the criminal population" is preposterous.

Somehow white collar crime by white people is neglected, with racialized stereotypes perpetuated by right-wingers. Somehow the high level of exoneration of African Americans for crimes they didn't commit fails to register with the right-wingers. Somehow the frequency with which minorities are shot and killed while minding their own business doesn't enter into right-wing thinking.

But I suppose it's easy to insist on one's personal views when one refuses to read up on the evidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eekndyn View Post
I can't help it.

13% looks like Sangers project worked

Fatherless homes

First step act
Question not answered: Why have black women opted to have smaller families, either by using abortion or contraceptives?
Unread 07-11-2020, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
Question not answered: Why have black women opted to have smaller families, either by using abortion or contraceptives?
Both. As times have progressed as abortion is means of birth control.
Unread 07-11-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Both. As times have progressed as abortion is means of birth control.
It is in Sweden. Sanger was adamant about her belief that abortion should not be considered as an acceptable means of birth control--only as a last resort if a pregnant woman's life were in danger.

Planned Parenthood began betraying that belief a few years after her death.
Unread 07-12-2020, 12:37 AM

Yes sir, I cant answer for sweden we already had this discussion. I was just stating facts how black Americans were disportionately outnumbered in terms of population.
Unread 07-13-2020, 12:04 AM

It was the 2nd murder this week.
I suggest BLM change their slogan to All lives matter.
Unread 07-13-2020, 12:50 AM

Quote:
It was the 2nd murder this week.
I suggest BLM change their slogan to All lives matter.
That wouldn't work, because the perception is too strong that black lives don't matter as much to the police as white lives. And there are stats and personal experiences to support that perception, unless one absolutely refuses to admit it.

It would have to be the unwieldy slogan, "All Lives Matter including Black Lives".
Unread 07-13-2020, 06:01 AM

David, as you know, Blue Lives Matter is another movement, which draws attention to police officers who die in the line of duty. I wouldn't trivialize it with Smurfs.

Eekndyn, as some of us have previously explained, of course, "all lives matter." Unfortunately that statement is too often used to distract and detract from the real import of Black Lives Matter. Too often, the surviving family members of African Americans killed by police are left feeling that Black lives do not matter to the larger white American public. The import of Black Lives Matter is that Black Lives Also Matter. Black Lives Matter Just As Much As White Lives Matter.

Then if some of you are so worried about Black Marxists taking over the country:

Dylann Roof: a young white supremicist who opened fire in a Black church, killing 9. He stated that he hoped his killings would inspire a race war.

Timothy McVeigh: the Oklahoma City federal building bomber killed 168 and injured 680.

Stephen Paddock fired over 1000 rounds of amunition from his Las Vegas hotel room into an outdoor concert audience, killing 58 and wounding 413.

Adam Lanza killed his mother, then opened fire in the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut, killing 20 children and 6 staff members.

Unabomber Ted Kaczynski mailed 16 bombs, ultimately killing 3 and injuring 20 people.

Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold walked into Columbine High School in Colorado heavily armed, ultimately murdering 13 and injuring 20 prior to committing suicide.

Not an African American or Democratic party donor among them.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.
Unread 07-13-2020, 06:20 AM

Making it even more prevalent why all life's matter. Bad people on both side good people on both sides but we are talking about police brutality. Correct?
Trayvon Martin 2012
Mike brown 2014
Eric gardner 2014
Tamir rice 2014
Freddy gray 2015
Sandra bland 2015
All happened during democratic ran cities under obama/biden
Even george Kirby and the Wendy's guys
Maybe its those who are in the seat that need to be revised.
Unread 07-13-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Making it even more prevalent why all life's matter. Bad people on both side good people on both sides but we are talking about police brutality. Correct?
Trayvon Martin 2012
Mike brown 2014
Eric gardner 2014
Tamir rice 2014
Freddy gray 2015
Sandra bland 2015
It's much worse now, with Trump in office.
The Following User Says Thank You to david starling For This Useful Post:
waybread (07-13-2020)
Unread 07-13-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
It's much worse now, with Trump in office.
Really? long time leftists explains why he'll vot efor Trump, and how the democrats are bought by China:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2X-ICtStRI

Unread 07-13-2020, 06:14 PM

Maybe every country should maintain public (as opposed to museum) statues of unsavory historical figures. I would be in favor of a large, well-sculpted statue of Donald Trump prominently displayed in Washington D.C., to remind us of past mistakes, and to help avoid repeating them.

How about a statue of him holding up a bible right after tear-gassing and shooting rubber bullets at peaceful protesters when he emerged from his bunker?

Last edited by david starling; 07-13-2020 at 06:24 PM.
Unread 07-13-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Maybe every country should maintain public (as opposed to museum) statues of unsavory historical figures. I would be in favor of a large, well-sculpted statue of Donald Trump prominently displayed in Washington D.C., to remind us of past mistakes, and to help avoid repeating them.

How about a statue of him holding up a bible right after tear-gassing and shooting rubber bullets at peaceful protesters when he emerged from his bunker?
I agree like this one
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg trump-rushmore.jpeg (51.1 KB, 4 views)
Unread 07-13-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Trayvon Martin 2012
Mike brown 2014
Eric gardner 2014
Tamir rice 2014
Freddy gray 2015
Sandra bland 2015
Black Lives Matter does not mean that some lives do not matter. It draws attention to a specific cause.

I don't know how much you understand about the American system of government but there is a real separation of powers principle, as set up in the Constitution. Basically cities are run by mayors and city councils, not at the federal level.

Yes, there are issues with Democratic mayors and city councils. There are issues with Republican-controlled cities. Poor areas tend not to have the sales and property tax bases of wealthier communities. By analogy, if your house were in disrepair, your ability to fix it would depend upon the size of your bank account.

The Democrats have more of a reputation for caring about poor people. Republicans tend to get elected in white suburbs. If you Google major American cities the websites don't necessarily give the council members' political party affiliations-- if any.

C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Unread 07-13-2020, 09:33 PM

I'm concluding that it is really difficult for foreign nationals to understand the United States, especially when they do not bother to inform themselves with facts, vs. right-wing opinion. I've posted a number of links to informative articles, here and at the parallel thread on Black Lives Matter.

Please read them.

I think some uninformed people like Trump because he comes across as an alpha male who supports his conservative base. Unfortunately, running a country of the size and complexity of the United States demands more than a big personality, a background as a reality TV star, and as a real estate mogul who declared corporate bankruptcy four times. (Some would say six times.)

Some of us have ethical problems with Trump's manifest level of corruption.

C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Unread 07-13-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
I'm concluding that it is really difficult for foreign nationals to understand the United States, especially when they do not bother to inform themselves with facts, vs. right-wing opinion. I've posted a number of links to informative articles, here and at the parallel thread on Black Lives Matter.

Please read them.

I think some uninformed people like Trump because he comes across as an alpha male who supports his conservative base. Unfortunately, running a country of the size and complexity of the United States demands more than a big personality, a background as a reality TV star, and as a real estate mogul who declared corporate bankruptcy four times. (Some would say six times.)

Some of us have ethical problems with Trump's manifest level of corruption.
Trump's well-known for cheating at golf. Sounds like a minor character-flaw, but it reveals his low ethical standards.