Does being an Aquarius mean I have to vote democrat?

david starling

Calm down, folks.

Sarah Palin is a serious Aquarian, and nobody accuses her of being a Democrat.

If I might be permitted the unusual exemption of discussing (cough, ahem) astrology on a chat thread, let's recall that Aquarius is the fixed air sign.

Air: orientation to life is primarily mental, even intellectual. Ideas are very real.

Fixed: Once having fastened upon an idea of note, Aquarians are loathe to change it.
(You know the saying, "There is no one so conservative as an old liberal.")

Saturn as the traditional sign ruler: the critic.

Uranus as the modern sign ruler: Out with the old, in with the new.

Put 'em together and waddaya got?

A Tea Party reactionary who thinks she's "Going Rogue." (title of Palin's autobiography.)

An Abraham Lincoln or Charles Darwin (both b. February 12)

An activist who sees a better future.

As always, you have to look at the entire chart. A sun Aquarian could easily have Mercury and Venus in Capricorn.

Could be a Marixist, an activist, or an armchair theorist

Dick Cheney has has Sun and Merc in Aquarius, and Moon in Pisces! Where's the compassion and understanding?

waybread

Compassion and understanding are watery traits. They are not traits of air signs.

Air signs are mental, not emotional.

david starling

Compassion and understanding are watery traits. They are not traits of air signs.

Air signs are mental, not emotional.

All right, humanitarian then, with a compassionate and understanding Moon. Aquarius is the "humanitarian" Sign. Maybe the difference is between attunement to Uranian OR Saturnian influence. Lincoln, Uranian; Cheney and Palin, Saturnian.

waybread

All right, humanitarian then, with a compassionate and understanding Moon. Aquarius is the "humanitarian" Sign. Maybe the difference is between attunement to Uranian OR Saturnian influence. Lincoln, Uranian; Cheney and Palin, Saturnian.

David, of course you have to look at the whole chart. Again, Aquarius is the fixed air sign. An Aquarian sun might well have Mercury, Venus and perhaps other planets in Pisces. Aquarius might love society in the abstract, but not actually volunteer at the local soup kitchen where he would have to rub shoulders with actual homeless people.

Bunraku asked about Aquarius rising, which is Aquarius pure and simple.

But an Aquarian sun elsewhere in the chart might have either Aquarius or Capricorn on the house cusp in a quadrant house system. In the latter case, Saturn would definitely have an impact on how the Aquarian sun operates.

Neither Saturn nor Uranus is an inherently compassionate, warm, fuzzy planet. Uranus at its best is the great liberator, but then not everyone wants to be liberated personally-- or wants the underclass to be liberated.

aquarius7000

David, of course you have to look at the whole chart. Again, Aquarius is the fixed air sign. An Aquarian sun might well have Mercury, Venus and perhaps other planets in Pisces. Aquarius might love society in the abstract, but not actually volunteer at the local soup kitchen where he would have to rub shoulders with actual homeless people...
Now I do just that and have been doing it for some time now. To add to the quote, Aquarius is rather group and social-service oriented, but translation of all its philanthropic plans, in my opinion, need some earthiness to make it all happen in reality. I think my Sun in the 6th house (serve), Cap Moon (make myself useful) and also Pisces Venus in the 7th (reduce others' suffering)want to make me be out there and do what I can to help.

Even the Aquarius Asc. needs to be looked at more closely because either the Asc. and/or the ruler of the Asc. will have aspects to other planets, so, accordingly, other energies will also be at play here.

CapAquaPis

Reviving the thread for Trump's attempt for reelection as President of the USA. As an Aquarius Sun/Moon and Democratic voter, I always loathed Trump and in the year 2020, I hate him more. Trump's values are not Aquarian at all, this is from a Mars in Leo conjunct Ascendant in 29' Leo (or 1' Virgo), which happens to be my true node, probably the type of personality and character I oppose.

david starling

Reviving the thread for Trump's attempt for reelection as President of the USA. As an Aquarius Sun/Moon and Democratic voter, I always loathed Trump and in the year 2020, I hate him more. Trump's values are not Aquarian at all, this is from a Mars in Leo conjunct Ascendant in 29' Leo (or 1' Virgo), which happens to be my true node, probably the type of personality and character I oppose.

Trump's one-term Presidency has been a GREAT "wake-up call"! His blatant attempt to push this country a whole step backward, will result in moving it two steps forward.

CapAquaPis

Trump's one-term Presidency has been a GREAT "wake-up call"! His blatant attempt to push this country a whole step backward, will result in moving it two steps forward.

I'm a solar eclipse baby...looking at the Aug 21, 2017 TSE with its totality path crossed the USA, I had a feeling the USA is going through a difficult time, esp. when the Charlottesville protests occurred in the same month. The solstice TSE (summer in northern like the USA and winter in southern hemisphere) foretold an end of a corrupt, negligent and divisive presidency in the global superpower. The true node on Aug 21, 2017 was in 28' Leo, close to Trump's exalted Mars placement conjunct Ascendant.

Lykanized

Umm, no, you're a fully autonomous human beings and astrology is a very minute facet of yourself. Besides, the liberality of Aquarius comes from Uranus, but Aquarius is truthfully ruled by Saturn. Regardless, you vote or don't vote however you like. Nothing dictates who you should be but your own self. That's a positive position you should retain from the Aquarius archetype

PS, the liberal, forward thinking Aquarius archetype is just that, an archetype. It's more a symbol or a trope, not necessarily one that will fit Aquarians and can fit anyone of any astrological influence. I fit the archetype myself far, far better than most of the Aquarians I've had dealings with

TLDR; no, be your own damned self

david starling

Saturn is extremely uncomfortable in Aquarius, and extremely comfortable in its Domicle-sign, Capricorn. Saturn demands unquestioned authority, and Aquarius doesn't provide that.

aquarius7000

Saturn is extremely uncomfortable in Aquarius, and extremely comfortable in its Domicle-sign, Capricorn. Saturn demands unquestioned authority, and Aquarius doesn't provide that.

Saturn provides structure and Aquarius tries to find that in groups and also on a mental level. Aquarius energy uses the Saturn quality of structure on a mental plane, unlike Cap, which uses it on the physical/earthy plane.

david starling

Saturn provides structure and Aquarius tries to find that in groups and also on a mental level. Aquarius energy uses the Saturn quality of structure on a mental plane, unlike Cap, which uses it on the physical/earthy plane.

Putting it bluntly, Saturn can't boss Aquarius around the way it does Capricorn. And Saturn needs to be the boss, which is why it's uncomfortable in Aquarius.

I agree with the first part of what you're saying: Aquarius uses Saturn.
But, not the second part. it's the other way around: Saturn uses Capricorn to increase its own authority. Capricorn doesn't use Saturn, it endures it.

aquarius7000

Putting it bluntly, Saturn can't boss Aquarius around the way it does Capricorn. And Saturn needs to be the boss, which is why it's uncomfortable in Aquarius.

I agree with the first part of what you're saying: Aquarius uses Saturn.
But, not the second part. it's the other way around: Saturn uses Capricorn to increase its own authority. Capricorn doesn't use Saturn, it endures it.
OK, then we will have to agree to disagree because it seems your understanding of both the planet and the two signs is different than mine. Saturn does not need to boss around - a verb (boss i.e.) that I would perhaps use for Mars. Saturn structures and disciplines, which is different from 'bossing around', which is more out of ego or to just be a bully.

david starling

OK, then we will have to agree to disagree because it seems your understanding of both the planet and the two signs is different than mine. Saturn does not need to boss around - a verb (boss i.e.) that I would perhaps use for Mars. Saturn structures and disciplines, which is different from 'bossing around', which is more out of ego or to just be a bully.

All right, how about this?

Saturn is the strictest disciplinarian of the Sign-rulers. It rewards obedience, and punishes disobedience. It's dictatorial, and Aquarius is generally anti-dictatorship, and goes its own way, while Capricorn is generally acquiescent in terms of following Saturn's dictates.

Lykanized

Actually, as a Saturn in Aquarius native in a short generation of Aquarius Saturns, Saturn is very comfortable in Aquarius

Most of the modern stereotypes of Aquarius are just that, modern, and much of it is derived from the need for surface level pop culture deliverance that will appeal to masses. An anti-dictatorship, anti-rule, humanitarian trope like "Aquarius" is very easy for the masses to eat up. In actuality and observing Aquarians, quite many of them are a lot more Saturnian in nature than Uranian. In fact I haven't seen all too many Uranian-like Aquarians and usually if they are, it's due to actual Uranus aspects. I tend more toward classic rulers out of pure observation(and because their influence is naturally gonna be a lot stronger than with outer planets unless those planets do form plenty of aspects)

some schools of thought don't even allow for outside planets whatsoever, but I do look at them myself, especially if they form many aspects to inner planets

Last edited:

david starling

Actually, as a Saturn in Aquarius native in a short generation of Aquarius Saturns, Saturn is very comfortable in Aquarius

Most of the modern stereotypes of Aquarius are just that, modern, and much of it is derived from the need for surface level pop culture deliverance that will appeal to masses. An anti-dictatorship, anti-rule, humanitarian trope like "Aquarius" is very easy for the masses to eat up. In actuality and observing Aquarians, quite many of them are a lot more Saturnian in nature than Uranian. In fact I haven't seen all too many Uranian-like Aquarians and usually if they are, it's due to actual Uranus aspects. I tend more toward classic rulers out of pure observation(and because their influence is naturally gonna be a lot stronger than with outer planets unless those planets do form plenty of aspects)

some schools of thought don't even allow for outside planets whatsoever, but I do look at them myself, especially if they form many aspects to inner planets

Okay, no sense in a Trad versus Mod argument! :biggrin:

I'll formally ATD: [Agree To Disagree]

david starling

Actually, it's not really Trad versus Mod. It's a crossover of sorts.

Here's what I mean: Many, if not most, Mods have dropped Saturn as Domicle-ruler of Aquarius, in favor of :uranus: as its sole Domicile-ruler. I include myself in that group. This is, of course, counter to Traditionalistic astrology. However this same group of Mods agrees with Traditionalistic astrology regarding Saturn as the "Greater Malefic".

I, personally, for example, connect Saturn to the images of "the Grim Reaper", carrying Saturn's harvest scythe; to the evil "Prince of this World", Satan, who is connected to the Sign we all agree is Saturn's domicile, Capricorn, by his goat-like appearance; and, to the appellation "Devourer of Children". Also, to fear itself, and, the aging process.

In other words, this group of Mods, myself included, agree with the Traditionalistic view that Saturn is a very bad, very scary Sign-ruler, which means us no good.

In stark contrast, there's a modern-day consensus amtransformsastrologers, that considers Saturn as the wise teacher, the provider of helpful structure and grounding, and the source of strength of resolve, and resilience. So, this particular school of thought, on the one hand, accepts Saturn in the Traditionalistic way as Domicle-ruler of both Capricorn and Aquarius. BUT, on the other hand, it transforms Saturn from Malefic to Benefic, which is not in keeping with Traditionalistic astrology.

Interesting dichotomy!

Last edited: