Random Thoughts, strictly Text

Dirius

Again, a universe that contradicted itself couldn't exist.

It may be a natural question in our minds, but it's a question that sneaks in the wrong answer. It implies that the universe was created by something. The universe wasn't created by anything.

Scientifical data points to the universe having both a beginning and end. So there has to have been some occurance in nature that lead to the creation and expansion of the universe.

It is a punishment. If they were virtuous they would've been rewarded. When you are virtuous, and being virtuous means being honest, just, independent, rational, productive, having integrity and pride you live a much better life than choosing to not live with those virtues. It's not anecdotal.

People who don't live with these virtues are miserable and unhappy people. I think this is self-evident. If you don't believe me, be my guest and live without these virtues and see how far you can get.

You are providing anecdotal evidence again. There is no proof that politicians or corrupted individuals have suffered consequences for certain actions. You are speculating on your perceived notion that people who work hard begett happiness derived from their hard work. But it does not disprove that some lazy people can and will enjoy the fruits of corruptions.

Abortion isn't exactly a straight-forward topic.

But I would say that woman has a right to her life, and an unborn child is a threat to the right of her life, therefore she shouldn't have to deal with it.

You are calling him a child, thus recognising it is a human life with a right of his or her own. And while a woman may have a certain priority in life and death situations where you have to choose one over the other (most anti abortionist agree), there is no logical reason to terminate the life of a living person because you find them unconvinient. This is the reason why in your country they don't, for example, execute illegal immigrants when they are captured. Sure, they are inconvinient for your nation and you guys have a right to deport them, but every action you take is always respecting their right to life

Well if someone broke into my house and threatened my life and family, then I don't see why I shouldn't kill that person.

In that situation you are protecting yours and your family's right to live, from an immediate threat. It is a different situation if you killed a person just because you may believe that in the future, that individual could create an unconvinience for you.

But to kill people who have harmed no one? That only wastes your time and energy, destroys any possibility of that person serving your self-interest by taking part in the free market, and killing people makes people not want to trust you and will probably try to kill you.
Subservience to the state or God are both evil regardless.

If a guy is banging the girl you like, he is not harming you. He is not doing anything to you. But if there is no moral reason, and no meaning to life, and you like that girl and you believe that removing the guy from the picture could lead you to being able to have her, and you find the opportunity to remove the guy without anyone finding out, and even if that possibility existed the odds would still be in your favour: according to your atheistic views, why not kill him?

Humans are subservient either to God or the State. The state is simply a representation of the absolute human condition of ultimate power. Just like when you give yourself the authority to call an unborn child a cancerous growth, its a deminished form of the goverment saying a fetus is not a baby. You grant yourself godlike authority to decide on the life of others.

AppLeo

Scientifical data points to the universe having both a beginning and end. So there has to have been some occurance in nature that lead to the creation and expansion of the universe.

Whatever created the universe, already was the universe. It already existed. It didn't come from nothing. Something can't come from nothing. That's impossible.

You are providing anecdotal evidence again. There is no proof that politicians or corrupted individuals have suffered consequences for certain actions. You are speculating on your perceived notion that people who work hard begett happiness derived from their hard work. But it does not disprove that some lazy people can and will enjoy the fruits of corruptions.

Do you really think that if someone lies more than telling the truth they'll be better off?

Do you really think that if someone steals more instead of building their own wealth they'll come out on top?

Do you really think that if someone is irrational more than rational they'll come out on top?

Cuz I absolutely say no to those questions.

In that situation you are protecting yours and your family's right to live, from an immediate threat. It is a different situation if you killed a person just because you may believe that in the future, that individual could create an unconvinience for you.

Why would I kill someone just because they are inconvenient? Inconvenient in what way?

If a guy is banging the girl you like, he is not harming you. He is not doing anything to you. But if there is no moral reason, and no meaning to life, and you like that girl and you believe that removing the guy from the picture could lead you to being able to have her, and you find the opportunity to remove the guy without anyone finding out, and even if that possibility existed the odds would still be in your favour: according to your atheistic views, why not kill him?

So your premise is basically if there isn't a threat of burning in hell, people can't be moral or good.

I know many atheists who are good people for their own atheistic reasons. They don't need the threat of hell to keep them from murdering people.

As an atheist myself, I don't want to kill anyone. I have my own reasons for why I wouldn't want to kill someone.

Humans are subservient either to God or the State. The state is simply a representation of the absolute human condition of ultimate power. Just like when you give yourself the authority to call an unborn child a cancerous growth, its a deminished form of the goverment saying a fetus is not a baby. You grant yourself godlike authority to decide on the life of others.

It's because I value the woman's life she doesn't have to keep the baby.

Dirius

Whatever created the universe, already was the universe. It already existed. It didn't come from nothing. Something can't come from nothing. That's impossible.

You are against all manner and form of scientific data, and mainstream belief. Are you a big bang denialist? or even worse, a creationist all of the sudden?

Do you really think that if someone lies more than telling the truth they'll be better off?

Do you really think that if someone steals more instead of building their own wealth they'll come out on top?

Do you really think that if someone is irrational more than rational they'll come out on top?

Cuz I absolutely say no to those questions.

I think a lot of people that lie are better off than telling the truth. I know people who have happily spent their lives living off other person's wealth. I think famous irrational feminists would be a good example of them faring of better than many of us.

Again, anecdotal, you are talking abou your personal experience which are subject to your personality. Not everyone has the same scruples as you do. Your line of argument is the equivalent of saying "God exists because I saw his face on a cloud".

In any case you are trying to quantify "happines". There is not a unit of measurement that can do that. Maybe some individuals will find a mix of feelings regarding a wrong action.

Why would I kill someone just because they are inconvenient? Inconvenient in what way?
So your premise is basically if there isn't a threat of burning in hell, people can't be moral or good.

I know many atheists who are good people for their own atheistic reasons. They don't need the threat of hell to keep them from murdering people.

As an atheist myself, I don't want to kill anyone. I have my own reasons for why I wouldn't want to kill someone.

Well you advocate the killing of unborn children- while you may not personally be the one executing them, you clearly have no problem with that happening, have you not?

And while most athiest might not have intentions of killing someone, the idea of a universe that is random and with no meaning eventually leads you into situations where you will inevitably disregard human life, because you do not believe in its sacrosanctity, but rather in that life is of use to you, and a certain degree of empathy might benefit you in the long run.
It's because I value the woman's life she doesn't have to keep the baby.
So you choose to kill an unborn child, so the woman's life can be more comfortable.

AppLeo

You are against all manner and form of scientific data, and mainstream belief. Are you a big bang denialist? or even worse, a creationist all of the sudden?

Nope

I think a lot of people that lie are better off than telling the truth. I know people who have happily spent their lives living off other person's wealth. I think famous irrational feminists would be a good example of them faring of better than many of us.

I don't think feminists are happy at all. But I guess there's no way to know.

So do you choose to lie, be irrational, and live off other people then since you think it would make you better off?

In any case you are trying to quantify "happines". There is not a unit of measurement that can do that. Maybe some individuals will find a mix of feelings regarding a wrong action.

Well, I see happiness as fulfillment. Eudaimonia. It's a feeling that your life has added up to something and you can feel proud of your life. That's how I would describe and measure happiness.

Well you advocate the killing of unborn children- while you may not personally be the one executing them, you clearly have no problem with that happening, have you not?

Because the unborn child is a threat to the mother's life. It's the same as a robber threatening my life and property by breaking into my house.

And while most athiest might not have intentions of killing someone, the idea of a universe that is random and with no meaning eventually leads you into situations where you will inevitably disregard human life, because you do not believe in its sacrosanctity, but rather in that life is of use to you, and a certain degree of empathy might benefit you in the long run.

I still don't understand how Atheism, belief in no God, suddenly means you want to kill people.

That seems pretty anecdotal if you ask me.

david starling

We're trapped in the tropical Age of Capricorn, and the Age-lord is limiting both our cognitive and magical abilities. No equitable solution to life's many problems is possible under these circumstances. But, most of us are doing the best we can. If religion can help with that, fine. If secular humanism can help, that's fine too.

petosiris

Banned
We're trapped in the tropical Age of Capricorn, and the Age-lord is limiting both our cognitive and magical abilities. No equitable solution to life's many problems is possible under these circumstances. But, most of us are doing the best we can. If religion can help with that, fine. If secular humanism can help, that's fine too.

Trapped in the age of drugs. :retrograde:

conspiracy theorist

For one, those who copped to having one on the current Mercury rx thread aren’t in the thick of this conversation.

Do you think there is anything that could be said about the way Merc Rx manifest that would be related? Or maybe its just a coincidence.

Appleo has something at early Leo iirc, the recent Mars/Merc conjunction aspected my Sun/Merc/Pluto and I don't know the degrees of Dirius' Leo ascendant or Sun but they may have taken a hit from the recent transits.

david starling

Well, we've got Sun conj NN opposite Domicled, retro Saturn which is conj retro Pluto. Try to Jupiter is square retro Neptune. Retro Mercury is conjunct Mars in Leo, square :uranus: in Taurus. Everything is peachy keen! :sideways:

david starling

Do you think there is anything that could be said about the way Merc Rx manifest that would be related? Or maybe its just a coincidence.

Appleo has something at early Leo iirc, the recent Mars/Merc conjunction aspected my Sun/Merc/Pluto and I don't know the degrees of Dirius' Leo ascendant or Sun but they may have taken a hit from the recent transits.

Merc is still close orb conj Mars. In a chart, it would definitely be considered conj.