The Moon's Speed - an indicator of intelligence

Lissa

Hi KayBug,could you please just tell me what time and day were you born?I'll try to calculate it for you,using the tables Unukalhai attached;).

Best wishes,
Lissa

Lissa

OK,after much mental stretching all I could come up with is that the Moon was traveling at 14º36' 1 hour after your birth...I guess your Moon's speed should be something like that...:confused:

Arian Maverick

A really easy way to calculate the Moon's speed, if anyone is still interested in doing so, is to use the astro.com chart facility.

Enter your birth date, as you would to normally get your chart, but instead of your time and location, enter in midnight (GMT) and put Greenwhich England as your birth place.

When the chart comes up, note the position of the Moon. Do this again but use 11:59 pm as the birth time. Note the position of the Moon.

Now subtract the first from the second, being careful to convert degrees and minutes, to degrees and decimal places, and then back again.

That final number is the result. Done!

This is brilliant, holly! I'm completely in awe of your ingenuity...

My Moon's speed is at 14' 53 Do I win for fastest Moon on the forum. Or can someone beat it.

I apologize for this, Shining Ray, I really do--but I think you were looking for a challenger! :D

If I did my calculations correctly in my previous post, my moon speed is 15 11/30, or 15 degrees, 22 minutes (15'22). I'm not convinced this is the sole predictor of intelligence, though...

Arian Maverick,

From what I understand, he is referring to the position of Mercury relative to the Sun at the time of birth and is using Sunrise to explain his point.

If Mercury is at 10 degrees of a sign, and the Sun is at 20 degrees of the same sign, then Mercury is earlier than the Sun in the zodiac, and would therefore rise earlier.

So if Mercury occupied a later degree than the Sun, it would rise after the Sun.

Does that make sense?

Yes, that's what I assumed but I wanted to double-check it with someone else. Thank you :)

EDIT: I was finally able to open the attachments moon speed chart, but the numbers there differ slightly from my calculation. Which number do we use--the one for 0:00 GMT on our date of birth or the one for 12:00 GMT on our date of birth? Or doesn't it matter?

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

unukalhai

Which number do we use--the one for 0:00 GMT on our date of birth or the one for 12:00 GMT on our date of birth? Or doesn't it matter?

Which is closer to your actual birth time? :)

Say you were born at 3AM Eastern Standard Time in the USA, which is 5 hours behind GMT (-5:00 time zone) -- That'd make 8AM GMT, so you'd go with the 12:00p (aka noon) speed since there are only 4 hours between 8AM and Noon, vs 8 hours between 8AM and midnight.

The possible point of confusion is... say if you were born at 10PM GMT on a day, say the 23rd... the most accurate entry then would actually be midnight of the NEXT day, which would only be two hours away, so you'd go for midnight of the 24th.

Darn time!

If you look at your astro.com chart, there's a field "Universal Time" which shows the "GMT" time... GMT is sometimes called UTC, universal time, London time, and others I'm sure. Why I use GMT I don't know, I think it's a habit leftover from my radio days where everyone seemed to call it GMT.

The tables were generated from data calculated by Solar Fire's ephemeris generator, which has an option for computing daily motion, and set for GMT since I assume people from many time zones are here.

StarNur

Thanks for the tables! Another fast mooner here - 14 deg 51. Although I think I would have benefited from a slower (deliberate) moon with my chart (Gem rising, Mercury in Aqua (ahead of Sun/Mars) aspecting Mars/Jupiter/Asc. The Aquas born two days before me have their moons 15 deg 17 so I'm probably not that forward! :p

Arian Maverick

It seems I was born closer to noon GMT than midnight GMT, although I was born at six in the morning in my time zone--so my moon speed would be slightly less than +15deg14'08'.

Thanks for the explanation, unukalhai! :)

EDIT: Looking at these charts, it appears that the moon speed increases up to a certain point before decreasing again. I wonder what this would look like on a graph, and if the pattern has any astrological/numerological significance?

Do you suppose there is a simple way to calculate the average number of days between two "crests" and two "troughs" of the pattern form by the graph, similar to how sound waves are measured? Would this number have any astrological/numerological significance? Do you suppose the golden mean or some other special ration would be involved somehow?

Just musing, as always...

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

unukalhai

Here's a graph from Excel:

msgraph.png

The speed variations seem to line up with the lunar month (it's orbit around the earth)

Lots of interesting questions! :) Good question on the significances and numerology.

gaer

KayBug said:
March 7, 1950 11:00 PM EST

Thank You Lissa :D
KayBug, without checking with anyone else, I got a quick figure of 14 degrees 35.

A bit fast. I'll double check that. :)

Arian Maverick said:
It seems I was born closer to noon GMT than midnight GMT, although I was born at six in the morning in my time zone--so my moon speed would be slightly less than +15deg14'08'.
I got the same result: 15deg14', using a quick calculation without an ephermeris, setting your time to noon GMT.

If you were born later, it will be a bit slower. If earlier, a bit faster.

+15deg23'06'' is the fastest daily movement shown, on Mar. 8 1993, so you have about as fast a movement as possible. :)

Gaer

Last edited:

Arian Maverick

Thanks for the chart, unukalhai; I tried to create one myself using Excel but received a bunch of weird errors.

I wish there was a way to imput all of the data into a single database or program and receive averages; I'm curious what factors influence the apparent speeding up and slowing down of the Moon. Does the peak of speed always occur while the Moon is in a certain phase, or located in a certain sign? If this is so, why doesn't the Moon reach the same peak speed each time?

Also, as far as "intelligence" or the "assimilation of information" is concerned, what factors in a natal chart would make these characteristics more or less pronounced? Do you suppose if the Moon appeared particularly large in the sky or was particularly close to the earth--the two are not necessarily related--its influence would be greater? What if the Moon was conjunct one of the four major angles in a chart?

Here's another thought that just occurred to me: if the Moon receives a difficult aspect from Saturn, would this mitigate its "speedy" effect (i.e. would the native be slower and more deliberate in thought)? What if the Moon is traveling quickly in the sign of Capricorn?

It's hard to tell for sure since the chart only has room for a limited amount of data, but assuming the first peak is the proper starting point, each successive peak seems to build steadily in speed, with the fifth peak being the highest, before steadily declining to begin the pattern again. I'll have to analyze the data in the spreadsheet to be certain, though...

EDIT: I could probably devote the next two years of my life going through every date on the database and highlighting the "peak" dates, but for now, I'll begin with the end of 1994, not including December 31 due to the uncertainty that the Moon may have been moving even faster on January 1, 1995. I'll also try to include the date of the slowest Moon speed.

10/22/1994 12:00 GMT - Low (+11deg46'46'') - Moon in Gemini
11/4/1994 0:00GMT - High (+15deg12'17'') - Moon in Scorpio
11/18/1994 0:00GMT - Low (+11deg47'42'') - Moon in Taurus
12/2/1994 12:00GMT - High (+15deg13'01'') - Moon in Sagittarius
12/15/1994 0:00GMT - Low (+11deg46'33'') - Moon in Taurus

It seems that the Moon signs themselves have very little to do with the speed of the Moon at a particular time, but what really confuses me is that the pattern does not seem to coincide exactly with the New and Full Moons, although it's usually close--particularly with the New Moons having the fastest Moon speed. Yet sometimes the Moon is a full sign "off" from the opposite sign the Sun is located in, forming something closer than a quincunx aspect than an opposition, unless I've gotten my dates mixed up.

Arian Maverick

Last edited:
Hi Arian,

Do you always have to win everything :D . I least I had my title for a little while, :) . I am not sure myself how this relates to intelligence as it's not something we can test like a character trait is - If someone is bad tempered we can look at Mars in the chart for example because this planet relates to anger, assertiveness. But the speed of the Moon I am not too sure it is too reliable to go with this for an indicator of intelligence. It could have some significance but only very small in my opinion. :)

Lissa

From what I could understand from this thread,the Moon's speed doesn't have to do with intelligence in the sense of being a genius but with a single component of intelligence,which is being aware of what goes on around us and being able to pick information from one's immediate environment.It's basicly about awareness to the world we live in.

Lunar Pisces

Lissa - you are correct. The reference to intelligence is misleading, as the article doesn't really clarify that. I was annoyed by that myself. It is an indicator of mental perception (i.e., intuiting), but not mental acuity (i.e., reasoning), even though the article seems to suggest that. People can have very intense intuition, but if they lack the reason and common sense to go with it, they generally draw erroneous conclusions from their own intuitive perceptions.

Myself, I have Pisces moon at speed of 14 degree, 8 minutes, so yes, I'm highly, highly intuitive and have very quick perceptions of many things. For example, if I meet someone for the first time and they say "I'm a psychologist" and then we talk about the weather for 5 minutes, and I can by then discern intuitively why that person choose to be a psychologist, just from observing them for a few minutes. And I'm usually dead on too - and it's not ESP or anything, just very fast intuitive deduction of the hundreds of little bits of data my mind absorbs in that time while talking to and observing that person. (It's helps, however, that my Mercury is in the 10th and in Gemini, and trining my 6th house Aqua Mars, so translating my intuitive perceptions into rational, "graspable" thought is easier and faster for me than other "highly intuitive" people.)

EVERYONE - the EASIEST way to get the speed of your moon or any other planet is to go to www.astro.com, open up a natal chart, look for a link at the top left hand corner above the chart that say "View the additional tables (PDF) " and click on that to pull up the PDF file that lists the speed of all the planets.

Arian Maverick

EVERYONE - the EASIEST way to get the speed of your moon or any other planet is to go to www.astro.com, open up a natal chart, look for a link at the top left hand corner above the chart that say "View the additional tables (PDF) " and click on that to pull up the PDF file that lists the speed of all the planets.

Brilliant! :D

Myself, I have Pisces moon at speed of 14 degree, 8 minutes, so yes, I'm highly, highly intuitive and have very quick perceptions of many things. For example, if I meet someone for the first time and they say "I'm a psychologist" and then we talk about the weather for 5 minutes, and I can by then discern intuitively why that person choose to be a psychologist, just from observing them for a few minutes. And I'm usually dead on too - and it's not ESP or anything, just very fast intuitive deduction of the hundreds of little bits of data my mind absorbs in that time while talking to and observing that person. (It's helps, however, that my Mercury is in the 10th and in Gemini, and trining my 6th house Aqua Mars, so translating my intuitive perceptions into rational, "graspable" thought is easier and faster for me than other "highly intuitive" people.)

The moon is a very intuitive planet and Pisces is a very intuitive sign, so it makes sense to me that the additional factor of a fast moon speed would increase the speed of one's non-physical perceptions. Yet what if the Moon was placed in a more physically-oriented sign? Do you suppose that the moon speed would increase the native's ability to assimilate things in their physical environment more quickly?

EDIT: I imagine there are just as many advantages/disadvantages of having a slow moon as having a fast moon, so I'd also like to explore this a bit further if possible. No one should feel ashamed or embarrassed if they do not have a fast moon; I think this discussion will benefit enormously from having as many diverse moon-speed members participate as possible.

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

gaer

Arian Maverick said:
EDIT: I imagine there are just as many advantages/disadvantages of having a slow moon as having a fast moon, so I'd also like to explore this a bit further if possible. No one should feel ashamed or embarrassed if they do not have a fast moon; I think this discussion will benefit enormously from having as many diverse moon-speed members participate as possible.

Arian Maverick
The Dalai Lama has close to the slowest possible moon, somewhere around 11 deg 50' (approximately). ;)

Gaer

smilingsteph

My moon is 11 degrees and 48 minutes....mmm....blow to my ego..not that I have one...but not very happy about that...but
I do have a gemini sun and mercury in gemini, with a virgo moon
(june 2 1979, portland oregon 01:18 daylight savings)
Still feel a little inadequate...guess like I told Holly if my mind is constantly going anyhow...then my moon was fast...then I just might lose my mind...too much mental activity...maybe a way the universe evens out the mind???
Any comments...on my slooooooooow moon???

respectively,
slow steph :)

Arian Maverick

Is your Mercury ahead or behind your Sun in the zodiac?

I was a bit disappointed when I first read that I didn't have an "eager" Mercury (Mercury Rises before the Sun and is earlier in the zodiac), in addition to a fast Moon because my natal chart has an emphasis upon Aries energy, and the descriptions I read of a fast Moon speed and an "eager" Mercury seemed to similar to how I interpret my Aries stellium.

So I think I can understand a bit why you may feel disappointed--even moreso since Mercury is clearly an important planet in your chart, and a fast Moon speed would seem to "fit" a particular perception you may have of yourself, most likely with being quick-thinking and intelligent. I am by no means implying that you are not these things; I am simply referring to the natural human tendency to look for evidence, in one's natal chart or elsewhere, that supports rather than contradicts how an individual thinks about him or herself.

But the good news is that you are not ignoring another dimension of your complex personality; otherwise, you would not have posted here.

I think a slow moon may actually be a blessing, a wonderful anchor to your Gemini Sun, Mercury in Gemini, and Virgo Moon, allowing you to make smart decisions that you have thought about carefully. While someone like me with an usually fast Aries Moon will surely succumb to impulses and make decisions she may regret. Who seems smarter, now? :rolleyes:

So cheer up and smile, Steph! :)

Arian Maverick

smilingsteph

Well I feel much better!! My mercury is after my sun, I must throw in there by only a bit!! ha ha..My...sun is 11 degrees and my mercury is 15 degrees...they are practically right next to each other on my chart (if I am reading it right)...the IC runs right between the two..
You are right about the natural tendency to think one way about yourself but then when something comes in and alters that you see a new perception...I like new perceptions so I will relish in the new information!!
Interesting though maybe taking a look at those with slow moons and those with fast moons we can on this forum make some deductions, as we are all smart, "fast" thinkers that are friends here!!
Link to my chart......
http://www.astro.com/cgi/chart.cgi?cid=mn8filey6pOkk-u1186845283&lang=e&gm=a1&nhor=1&nho2=2&btyp=2&mth=gw&sday=20&smon=8&syr=2007&hsy=-1&zod=&orbp=&rs=3&add=22&add=12&add=13&add=14&add=15&ast=

Last edited: