Rulership

MissScorpio

Can someone tell me what they would class as being rulership of my 6th house. As to me it looks like both Pluto and Jupiter?

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Can someone tell me what they would class as being rulership of my 6th house. As to me it looks like both Pluto and Jupiter?
Skyscript's has a useful study aid to check domicle rulership - as well as dignity in general.
Notice that Pluto is absent from this traditional table.
Not all modern astrologers are agreed but some assign Pluto co-rulership of Scorpio
:smile:

dignities2.gif

JUPITERASC

When using the Study Aid table I just posted, check each sign

Identify the symbol for Scorpio

- next to Scorpio in column headed 'Houses of the Planets' note the symbol for Mars

Since the cusp of your 6th appears to be Scorpio then Mars is the domicile ruler of your 6th

btw interestingly, the house and sign location of natal planets is entirely dependent on the house system used. astro.com's Extended Chart Selection Page offers a choice between fourteen alternative house systems and is useful to use when experimenting with how delineation changes dependent on house location :smile:

'...It seems human nature always veers towards the more complex ideas or notions in any field, ignoring the truer and simpler ones. Originally, the words "houses" and "signs" were interchangeable or meant the same thing. A planet in Aries was also a planet in the house of Aries, so that in effect. there were no real houses as we know them today.

The artificial divisions we now know as houses were attempts by the early Greeks and the Hindus to measure strength "points" in the horoscope, which at some point in time(7th and 8th centuries AD) were construed or confused as means of dividing the birth chart. The ascendant and midheaven degrees and their opposites, for example, were definite power points or areas of intense focus, but not necessarily the beginnings of a house or quadrant...'

'....In fact, there is no real basis for the astrological houses at all. They derive from a misunderstanding of the true nature of the Ascendant and Midheaven factors in astrology, the former representing the Earth or terrestial sphere, and the latter representing the Sky, Heaven, or celestial sphere.

The Ascendant is planet Earth, and the Midheaven MC has as its source, the Earth's inner central sun. The ICImum Coeli and the descendant are merely opposite or reflex points....'
http://www.librarising.com/astrology/misc/wholesignhouses.html

JUPITERASC

I know that, but what I am saying is, Sagittarius is in my sixth house too.
If you experiment with using any of the fourteen different house systems on offer on astro.com's Extended Chart Selection Page
then notice that
when your chart is created using whole sign house system
then because your Ascendant sign is Gemini, then the cusp of your 7th sign is Sagittarius

Placidus distorts the houses, squashing some and expanding others and that confuses the issue for beginners

Whole sign is simple, clear cut and unambiguous

dr. farr

Right, by whole sign house format (which is the only house system format I now use) your 6th house is under Scorpio, the dispositor ("ruler") is Mars, the co-domicile is Pluto (I am an eclectic and so I factor in the outer planets), and the th house is also (much) influenced by the Sun and Mercury which are posited therein-Mercury has a special importance for the 6th house in the reference chart because in addition to Mercury being posited in the 6th house, the dispositor (ruler) of the 6th house (Mars) is itself disposited by Mercury (since in the reference chart Mars is posited in Virgo, ruled by Mercury)...

MissScorpio

Thanks for this... I was rather hoping Jupiter might have some impact , but now this info raises my anxiety levels being as Pluto is unpredictable with health and I am Sun/Uranus in sixth. Eeeek. Personally, I always consider that Pluto is THE ruler of Scorpio.. Everything about Scorpio pertains to transition, intensity, sex, digging deep to find the answer and the general process of elimination.. Which is nothing like Mars, so I never understand why some astrologers decide to boycott Pluto, it's so clearly ruler. Look at any Scorpio to see that. Of course there is the notion that Scorpio is indubitably the most impassioned of the water elements, the fire starter of them all which would give some impact with Mars. but still.................

Marinka

Pluto is the 6th house ruler as Scorpio is on the 6th house cusp. Jupiter is the 7th house ruler as Sagittarius is on the 7th house cusp.

The sign on the cusp of the house determines ruler.

JUPITERASC

Saturn rules my seventh house.. Venus in Capricorn.
Planetary Rulers of the Signs

. source: astro.com http://www.astro.com/mtp/mtp63_e.htm

image073.jpg

The outer planets are relatively recent newcomers and have been added to this model: Pluto as the modern ruler of Scorpio, Uranus as the modern ruler of Aquarius and Neptune as the modern ruler of Pisces.

btw Many astrologers have highlighted the fact that it is impossible to 'crowbar in' or force these modern rulers into the original rulership table because it simply destabilizes the original - so this matter is much in debate currently in astrology and not 'set in stone' by any means

Paul_

Account Closed
The outer planets are relatively recent newcomers and have been added to this model: Pluto as the modern ruler of Scorpio, Uranus as the modern ruler of Aquarius and Neptune as the modern ruler of Pisces.

btw Many astrologers have highlighted the fact that it is impossible to 'crowbar in' or force these modern rulers into the original rulership table because it simply destabilizes the original - so this matter is much in debate currently in astrology and not 'set in stone' by any means

Just as an historical interlude that some people may find interesting, it's note worthy that modern rulerships were assigned not because of some arduous research and investigation - as you often hear from many modern astrologers, but instead by astrologers of the time, cogniscant of the tradition of rulership, basically went ahead and followed Ptolemy's logic, by assigning the next planet out with the next sign out. So flowing from the Sun is the rulership scheme which normally reflects back to the Moon, but breaking this they just carried on projecting out from the sun. So the next out from the Sun is Mercury, then Venus, then Mars, then Jupiter and then Saturn, and then when Uranus was discovered we see astrologers explicitly invent the rulership to Aquarius because Aquarius is the next sign out after Capricorn, then when Neptune comes along it's assigned the next one out which is Pisces.

This is explicitly stated in the very earliest sources we have for modern rulership.

So the outer planetary rulerships came about by trying to stay true to the tradition at large, and absolutely not by channelling or study of numerous charts.

Then Pluto was discovered and by this stage in the history our understanding of astrology, already getting watered down by the time of Uranus' discovery, find itself in a time where astrology is no longer in the hands of the educated as it once was, but in the hands of the masses, during a time when it was already simplified and watered down and projected through a pseudo-religious lens of the Theosophical movement.

Pluto is discovered and the pattern continues. It is assigned to Aries and there is a conference in Germany to discuss the matter more fully. UNANIMOUS agreement dictates that Pluto rules Aries, and the counter idea, that some were positing at the time, that it should rule Scorpio are squashed.

Until someone beats them to print, and writes up the attributions of Pluto and that it rules Scorpio. The author beat them to print and published a successful book and the rest is history. It stuck, and from that day forth Pluto magically started ruling Scorpio.

I point this out because in the context of rulership even the modern rulership scheme bows to the traditional logic as much as it can. It does not reinvent anything, instead it recognises the superiority of the traditional schema and tries to accommodate itself into it as much as it can.

The only exception is that the general lack of understanding of the broader tradition by the time of Pluto amongst the basic astrologer, thanks to a deliberate watering down of astrological technique coupled with the unlucky timing of Pluto coming out when the astrological world was still struggling to emerge from the mini-dark period it underwent meant that one of the outers went to another sign.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

At birth Pluto, Jupiter since December 1995,
in May 2026 Progressed Cusp ruler will be Saturn.

When you was 14/15 years old your 6th house cusp ruler changed from Pluto to Jupiter and conjunct Uranus.
Then something shocking happened in your life.

(The midpoint between Venus and Saturn who are in mutual reception; Venus<>Saturnus, is also at 00degrees Sagittarius conjunct Uranus)
Anyone at 14/15 years old is experiencing early puberty/early teenage years and adolescents are notorious for 'shocking' behavior - that's something common to many and happens with each generation so a more specific delineation would be helpful. For example, 'something shocking' relating to a particular topic of life :smile:

JUPITERASC

That is quite true JUPITERASC, and it does not have to relate to health issues.
My first thoughts was a sudden breakup, whether this concerns the parents or first boyfriend , I do not know...
But because Oriental Jupiter went into Scorpio around the same time it could indeed relate to health and other 6th house related issues even pets.
So the event you surmise of may well be attributable to the action of Jupiter :smile:

IleneK

Premium Member
Anyone at 14/15 years old is experiencing early puberty/early teenage years and adolescents are notorious for 'shocking' behavior - that's something common to many and happens with each generation so a more specific delineation would be helpful. For example, 'something shocking' relating to a particular topic of life :smile:

Agreed. Something happened. Like the transiting Saturn's waxing square from its natal position. This is a developmental square of tension and crisis, and it clearly accompanies that time in life, as JupiterAsc notes.

This then triggerded one of the native's key chart signatures, the mutually receptive Venus Saturn square, which rules her 8th, 9th, 10th and 12th, and also her NN. Activating the 8th and 12th would be enough probably by itself to shake things up.