Aunt on Facebook

Osamenor

Staff member
How is changing the racial attitudes of white Americans an improvement? Yes it would improve the circumstances for black people but what do white people have to gain from it?

Not segregating themselves. Being more open minded. Being more equal to others. Not having to hold onto white privilege. Just for starters.

Statistics show that white children who attend racially mixed schools--that means very racially mixed schools, not mostly white with a few token kids of color--develop much greater flexibility of thinking than white children who attend all or mostly white schools, while doing just as well academically.

And then there's the simple fact that if one group of people is being treated as less-than, no one is safe. The more their lot improves, the safer everyone is.

david starling

I feel that you are trying to change my thought process. Why? Why is it a concern to you that one person (such as me) entertains thoughts that could be construed as racist?

I don't have a problem with people who want to be tolerant and non-racist. But I draw the line when they try to thought-police to make sure everybody thinks the same thoughts and feels the same feelings as they do. Just leave people like me alone, OK?

If one doesn't tolerate the intolerant, does that make one an intolerant as well?

wan

Not segregating themselves.

No offence but this actually sounds like a bad thing.

Being more open minded. Being more equal to others. Not having to hold onto white privilege. Just for starters.
All of these "benefits" that you are touting are dubious at best.

Statistics show that white children who attend racially mixed schools--that means very racially mixed schools, not mostly white with a few token kids of color--develop much greater flexibility of thinking than white children who attend all or mostly white schools, while doing just as well academically.

I dont care how many benefits mixing with black people purportedly brings to white people. The way I see it, it has to be a voluntary decision. White people should be given the choice to decide for themselves whether they want to mix or not. But they don't have that choice. They are forced to integrate. I have a huge problem with this.

Dirius

Dirius, I know exactly what sort I would "discriminate" against. There are examples of such 'personalities' right here on this forum. :lol:
I choose not to discuss my dating preferences on this site. Please respect that.

Thats fair - but you are judging wan on her personal preference. If neither of you are willing to put your cards on the table, what moral highground do you have to feel you can berate her on the issue?

aquarius7000

I used your own words to say what you yourself said. And as to trying to change your thought process, a no. of us, like myself and Osamenor - are trying to when you are asked to not "other" a community, to not make racist slurs...

Btw, since you are so into America, any idea about the American constitution? Do you realise how you disrespect it through a no. of things you have said?

Also, why don't you leave alone the community you don't like - why are you persecuting them here? Why are you "whining" about them? Why don't you practise what you preach.

If people should take to condemning something, it is racists and their racism. They should not be tolerated. Full stop. Racism makes the world an "ugly" place. That is why changing your thought process is so important. And, if one does harbor "ugly" thoughts because that is how one likes to be, those should be kept to oneself.

I feel that you are trying to change my thought process. Why? Why is it a concern to you that one person (such as me) entertains thoughts that could be construed as racist?

I don't have a problem with people who want to be tolerant and non-racist. But I draw the line when they try to thought-police to make sure everybody thinks the same thoughts and feels the same feelings as they do. Just leave people like me alone, OK?

Osamenor

Staff member
Thats fair - but you are judging wan on her personal preference. If neither of you are willing to put your cards on the table, what moral highground do you have to feel you can berate her on the issue?

Wan is welcome to her dating preferences, whatever they are. What none of you are welcome to do is make disparaging comments about whole categories of people. "I prefer to date white guys" is fine. "[Non-white] guys are unattractive" is a slippery slope, especially in the context of this discussion, and I question the necessity of saying that, when the point could be made just as well by saying who you do prefer to date instead of who you don't.

david starling

I dont care how many benefits mixing with black people purportedly brings to white people. The way I see it, it has to be a voluntary decision. White people should be given the choice to decide for themselves whether they want to mix or not. But they don't have that choice. They are forced to integrate. I have a huge problem with this.

Segregation means forbidding mixing by race, religion, or gender.
It's not about choice.

Osamenor

Staff member

Do you have the option of not mixing with anyone who isn't Asian?

If not, you're being forced to integrate. Do you have a problem with not having a choice?

And every benefit I mentioned is a benefit I personally have experienced, thanks to my parents' decision to raise me in a racially mixed and pretty well integrated city. They both grew up with Jim Crow segregation--which they, both being white, could be said to have benefitted from--but did NOT want that for their kids. And I understand why. But I do not understand why some white people think it's a travesty to have to breathe the same air as brown skinned folks.

Dirius

Wan is welcome to her dating preferences, whatever they are. What none of you are welcome to do is make disparaging comments about whole categories of people. "I prefer to date white guys" is fine. "[Non-white] guys are unattractive" is a slippery slope, especially in the context of this discussion, and I question the necessity of saying that, when the point could be made just as well by saying who you do prefer to date instead of who you don't.

I understand it is a sensitive area ... but whats wrong with her honesty?

Just like people have sexual preferences, it is only logical that they also have sexual distate for certain attributes people posses.

Why would it be ok to say:"I really like to date (insert X ethnicity) girls, find them really attractive".
But wouldn't it be ok to say:"I really dislike dating (insert X ethnicity) girls, don't find them attractive at all"

I mean if it is the race component, why would it be ok for someone to have a fetish for a specific ethnicity, but not the opposite?

(edited post so my words aren't taken out of context)*

Last edited:

aquarius7000

Dirius, we all know that you like to fan the flames with provocative comments by trying to put words in people's mouths. Your intentions and this part of your "personality" are very clear to a no. of us. Many threads on this forum have many examples of it.

What "moral highground" do you have to question me?

And I have not been judging Wan on her "personal preference" in any way different than what the forum rules forbid.

What I AND some others have been saying, and it seems you choose to ignore it, is that certain comments are racist and should not be tolerated on this forum as they go against the rules. And they have therefore also been removed, which prove just what I and others have been saying. So no need to question. Be concerned about your own moral high ground...

wan

No offence to you Osa but I am not going to refrain from saying what I want to say just because you "question the necessity" of it. I also do not care whether my point could be better made this way or that way. I have very distinct, rigidly held preferences and I am shameless about vocalizing them out loud.

I find all non-white races to be unattractive. Heck, I don't even like to talk to white girls. I just want to throw myself at the crotch of the nearest good-looking white man.

Segregation means forbidding mixing by race, religion, or gender.
It's not about choice.

Yes forced segregation is bad. And so is forced integration. Do you agree that currently we have forced integration?

Dirius

Dirius, we all know that you like to fan the flames with provocative comments by trying to put words in people's mouths. Your intentions and this part of your "personality" are very clear to a no. of us. Many threads on this forum have many examples of it.

Hey I said it, this thread is a powder keg :lol: .. don't blame me when it goes boom!