Western Astrology vs Vedic Astrology

The Piscean

Would I be wrong to think that Vedic puts more emphasis on predictions, Karma and so on, whereas Western is generally based on personality traits???

david starling

Western horary makes specific predictions, but not from the Natal-chart. Western synastry predicts likely compatibility from Natal-Charts. Western Progressions predict life-changes, and the likelihood of both good and bad events. And Vedic does speak to personality as well as Destiny. But, I agree, Tropical is more about identity than Vedic in emphasis.

muchacho

The usual (simplified) vedic procedure for predictions is to determine 1) strength and nature of planets and houses 2) current and future Dasha sequences 3) current and future transits. Western usually skips step 1) and step 2) and jumps straight to step 3).

First we have to see what the birth chart promises.
Secondly we have to see if the Dasha sequences in the native's life time will activate that promise.
Thirdly we have to see if there are transits that can actually deliver the activated promise in a real life event.

I've read an analogy somewhere, the promise of your chart is like a big bucket of ice cream in the fridge, the activation by Dashas is like taking it out of the fridge and the transit is like putting it into a cup so that you can actually eat it. So just having your cup ready when nothing is in the fridge or when nothing is taken out of the fridge won't result in any successful ice cream eating. :cool:

All 3 steps have to fall in line.

Last edited:

AppLeo

The usual (simplified) vedic procedure for predictions is to determine 1) strength and nature of planets and houses 2) current and future Dasha sequences 3) current and future transits. Western usually skips step 1) and step 2) and jumps straight to step 3).

First we have to see what the birth chart promises.
Secondly we have to see if the Dasha sequences in the native's life time will activate that promise.
Thirdly we have to see if there are transits that can actually deliver the activated promise in a real life event.

I've read an analogy somewhere, the promise of your chart is like a big bucket of ice cream in the fridge, the activation by Dashas is like taking it out of the fridge and the transit is like putting it into a cup so that you can actually eat it. So just having your cup ready when nothing is in the fridge or when nothing is taken out of the fridge won't result in any successful ice cream eating. :cool:

All 3 steps have to fall in line.

I really like the ice cream concept. I will look into Vedic Astrology more...