Do you agree with this? (House Positions = Sign Placements)

conspiracy theorist

They are said to
be in their own "chariots" and "thrones" and the like when they happen to
have familiarity in two or more of the aforesaid ways with the places in
which they are found; for then their power is most increased in
effectiveness by the similarity and co-operation of the kindred property of
the signs which contain them.

This section speaks to the other chapters that you conveniently leapt over where terms, domiciles etc were mentioned.

conspiracy theorist

They say they "rejoice" when, even though
the containing signs have no familiarity with the stars themselves,
nevertheless they have it with the stars of the same sect; in this case the
sympathy arises less directly. They share, however, in the similarity in the
same way; just as, on the contrary, when they are found in alien regions
belonging to the opposite sect, a great part of their proper power is
paralysed, because the temperament which arises from the dissimilarity of
the signs produces a different and adulterated nature."
22-23 book 1, Tetrabiblos

Interdasting... I didn't know you used sect. Maybe you have more in common with the dirty traditionalists than you think, eh?

Cupid Arrow

Waybread, can you see the difference between "CONFLATING" Signs and Houses, and "CONNECTING" them? To be clear regarding what "connection" involves: If for example, there's a Stellium in H11 in a Sign other than Aquarius, that DOESN'T impart "Aquarian qualities" to those indicators. It just shows the Area of Life they affect, and the effectiveness with which they do so, based on the Sign(s) each one rules relative to Aquarius as the Fixed, Air-sign. I'm not asking agreement concerning the method, just about the distinction between "conflate" and "connect". "Conflation" would mean H11 and the Sign Aquarius are the same thing, in which case Aquarian qualities WOULD accrue to the Chart just by the Stellium BEING in H11 (and I wouldn't agree that's the case).

I have an 11H stellium by whole signs, according to Donna Cunningham, or planets in the 11 makes you Uranian. My friendships hopes and dreams have gone through rehab several times. Meaning friendships have been disruptive, brought back to life then changed again. My 11H is ruled by Libra BTW...

Cupid Arrow

Goodness this thread has gotten sooooo long since I posted. Can't you all agree that planets in houses take on the original house ruler???? I have a Cancer Moon in the 8H, and a Venus is Scorpio, hell, 8H takes on a Scorpio vibe. I also have Neptune in the 1H, I would say it does take on a Arian vibe, I'm very spiritual but I also have Antares in my 1H, I happen to be very my gossssh, I can't even say: this star I can see in my personality.. Loool oh ****..

david starling

David, as I've mentioned above, repeatedly, there are cases where you find a "connection." Medical astrology. Jupiter, the 9th house, and Sagittarius having connections with long-distance travel and higher education. Another one would be Gemini (twin brothers) ruling siblings, a 3rd house matter.

I just don't think it helps to stretch it too far.

Note that my use of the words "rotation" and "orbit" are how we understand the diurnal and seasonal zodiacs today.

I sometimes wonder whether "convention" isn't a polite way of saying that something is arbitrary, but let's agree to it so that we can try to make systematic sense out of disparate phenomena.

I think "conventional" just means a lot of Astrologers are in agreement about it. And, for better or worse, it appears conflating Signs and Houses IS becoming conventional among Modern-astrologers. That doesn't mean those who disagree have to go along with it if it doesn't work for them. Just ATD [Agree To Disagree]! :biggrin: Obviously, that includes Tropical/Sidereal, Traditional/Modern, and internal disputes within each category.

Last edited:

waybread

Goodness this thread has gotten sooooo long since I posted. Can't you all agree that planets in houses take on the original house ruler???? I have a Cancer Moon in the 8H, and a Venus is Scorpio, hell, 8H takes on a Scorpio vibe. I also have Neptune in the 1H, I would say it does take on a Arian vibe, I'm very spiritual but I also have Antares in my 1H, I happen to be very my gossssh, I can't even say: this star I can see in my personality.. Loool oh ****..

There are no original house rulers. There are original sign rulers.

The traditional 7 planets "joyed" in particular houses, but Jupiter was the planet who had its joy in the 11th house. These planets were not understood as house rulers, but as having particular strength in their house. 5 houses had no planets who joyed in them.

I could certainly comment on your 11th house, but not without a legible horoscope. We'd want to look at aspects to the planet ruling the sign on the cusp of your 11th house, as well as any planets in your 11th house to understand your friendships.

waybread

I think "conventional" just means a lot of Astrologers are in agreement about it. And, for better or worse, it appears conflating Signs and Houses IS becoming conventional among Modern-astrologers. That doesn't mean those who disagree have to go along with it if it doesn't work for them. Just ATD [Agree To Disagree]! :biggrin:

David, I personally think this is a fad from the 1980s and 1990s. In the early 1990s the traditional astrology revival got many modern astrologers thinking about house cusp rulers. I think this was partly in response to a revival of interest in horary astrology, which follows more traditional rules. A few other modern astrologers went off into an "evolutionary astrology" LaLa Land. You cannot judge the entire field of modern astrology today from a few people posting on this thread.

Last edited:

david starling

Here's how I see it, comments welcome: When a Planet is a "bad fit" for the Sign it's in, that weakens its effect on the Chart. However (connecting the Signs to the Houses by numbers), if that same Planet in that same Sign is placed in the "House of the Sign" it rules, that would strengthen its effect on the Chart, but it would still have the Sign-QUALITIES of the Sign it's actually in. The House wouldn't confer any Sign-qualities, it would simply strengthen the effect of the Planet in that Area of Life. Not asking for agreement, just explaining the method, no agreement necessary!
Here's a (somewhat unrelated) question, very fundamental: Houses aside, if a Planet is a bad fit for a Sign, in addition to having its effect weakened, does it ALSO do a poor job of expressing those Sign-qualities? Sun in Aquarius seems to express itself quite well! :biggrin: But what about, say, Neptune in Virgo? Maybe the Sun does have difficulty expressing Aquarian-qualities, but it just happens to end up with a good result [IMO].

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Here's how I see it, comments welcome:

When a Planet is a "bad fit" for the Sign it's in,
that weakens its effect on the Chart.

However (connecting the Signs to the Houses by numbers),
if that same Planet in that same Sign is placed in the "House of the Sign" it rules,
that would strengthen its effect on the Chart,
but it would still have the Sign-QUALITIES of the Sign it's actually in.
The House wouldn't confer any Sign-qualities,
it would simply strengthen the effect of the Planet in that Area of Life.
Not asking for agreement, just explaining the method, no agreement necessary!
The imperative is that a VEHICLE suits the TERRAIN
for example
when driving in a war zone a tank seems an optimum vehicle
HOWEVER
switch to a
2008-2016 Toyota Land Cruiser for desert regions
and then
when crossing seas or oceans a boat/ocean going liner is imperative

HOWEVER
neither a tank
nor an ocean-going liner
are appropriate transport for New York City streets :smile:

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Here's a (somewhat unrelated) question, very fundamental:
Houses aside,
if a Planet is a bad fit for a Sign,
in addition to having its effect weakened,
does it ALSO do a poor job of expressing those Sign-qualities?
Sun in Aquarius seems to express itself quite well! :biggrin:
When a VEHICLE is unfit/unsuitable for the TERRAIN
then
that vehicle is unlikely to progress either easily or far

SATURN ruler of AQUARIUS may be placed in any of twelve signs
and

as well as consideration of the chart as a whole
that makes the difference
:smile:
But what about, say, Neptune in Virgo?

Maybe the Sun does have difficulty expressing Aquarian-qualities,
but it just happens to end up with a good result [IMO].
Maybe not

i.e.

AQUARIUS is traditionally ruled by SATURN
and since Saturn may be placed in any of twelve signs

obviously Saturn influence requires consideration
unless one follows a methodology that states
"No explanation - it just happens to end up with a good result"

JUPITERASC

Ptolemy was the great astronomer and astrologer who revolutionized a good part of our recorded history with his ideas, he wrote the Tetrabiblos, the book I had fun quoting. What is the Tetrabiblos about?, why is it so important?
It is a masterpiece for us astrologers because for the first time an astrologer collected all the previous knowledges about the stars, and put order into them. We in here know that Ptolemy's Tetrabiblos is his mathematical, Hipparchian, interpretation of the older Chaldean and Egyptian traditions. He didn't write anything new, but revisited many things. Ptolemy pushes himself, in his selections, to the point of omitting and even criticize many back then traditionally accepted astrological theories, both Egyptian and babylonian; because to him astrology had to follow scientific, mathematical rules. If you couldn't apply those rules then such theories had no reason to exist. He even pushes himself to the point of accusing false astrologers and magic practitioners, who'd just put in a bad light the scientific astrological practice.

Now, I hope that with this brief introduction you came to notice the importance of the ptolemaic syncretism of the previous traditions. Syncretism is a word that means "putting together", and it's a concept really important that I've been trying to underline from the beginning. Syncretism= Ptolemy condensed different traditions.
Ptolemy doesn't talk very much about people of his own time :smile:
instead he talks about observations made centuries earlier by Hipparchus
another great astronomer
- Observations used by Ptolemy are largely Babylonian via Hipparchus

HIPPARCHUS - a century after Apollonius began applying the Apollonian geometry
in the first attempt to describe the movements of the heavenly spheres geometrically.
Hipparchus took the first steps in attempting to make the Apollonian geometry
fit the appearances of the heavens
- particularly in relation to the moon and the sun
- by developing those moving circles as a technique
for dealing with the confusing appearances of the heavens

Ptolemy then expanded on the original ideas of both his predecessors, Apollonius and Hipparchus

i.e.
Ptolemy built on the ORIGINAL work of Apollonius of Perga
who lived approximately four centuries earlier than Ptolemy
and developed a form of geometric particular methods within the geometrical practice
that are to do with circular motion - as well as motions of circles moving on circles and so on

Ptolemy then applied APPOLONIUS original work
to discovering the much sought-after geometrical rationale thought to be underlying appearances

Thus Ptolemy described a rationale that 'explained' retrograde motion
- but incorrectly
- because the planets do not move with uniform circular motion in circles http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollonius_of_Perga

Albert Timashev writing an article
"Reconstruction of The Major Egyptian Years"
has this to say of Ptolemy:
"Today it is well known that Greek scientist Claudius Ptolemy
was not a representative of a traditional Greek astrological school
and, most likely, he was never a practicing astrologer at all.
Ptolemy's work Tetrabiblos reflects his personal
and sometimes disputable opinions on many questions." http://www.astrologer.ru/article/mey.html.en

IN CONTRAST Vettius Valens was a practicing astrologer
a somewhat younger CONTEMPORARY OF PTOLEMY
who provided evidence of well over a hundred of his own clients horoscopes.

Ptolemy was a mathematical theorist.:smile:
In fact,
while Ptolemy 'compiled'
Ptolemy also altered techniques according to personal prejudice/whim:
and
Ptolemy, mathematician/astronomer and not a practicing astrologer
had a different rationale/perspective to for example
that of Ptolemys younger contemporary proven working astrologer Vettius Valens.
prestigious academic Professor Mark T Riley of CSU states:
"Vettius Valens' Anthologiae is the longest extant astrological work from antiquity
It is UNIQUE in several respects:
the author was a practicing astrologer
the work includes more than 100 authentic horoscopes of Valens' clients or associates,
including his own which is used as an example many times throughout the work.

Valens unique perspective being that of a practicing astrologer
meant Valens was eager to preserve everything he possibly could intact
for the benefit of future astrologers.
and so
Valens simply compiled without altering what he compiled.
Certainly Valens commented on the various astrological techniques
but crucially, did not alter any
That fact taken in tandem with
Valen's work being 'the longest extant astrological work from antiquity'

obviously makes Valens an important figure.

waybread

The excerpts were saying many things, related to different parts of our exchange. I'm not gonna copy-paste anything, and I won't waste other 30 minutes of my time to answer this thread anymore in the future, although I really enjoy you people, because I'm really tired.
So please, pay attention if you really want to know why I think what, I'll cover it all, or try to.

moonris3, it's not that we don't understand your house=sign conflation. It's pretty simple. We just disagree with it.

Given that we don't really know when the first 12 houses divisions occurred, we know that, shortly after Ptolemy, Porphyry started using them. The Placidus system was initially thought to be the system used by Ptolemy during his times, but this hypothesis has received more disaccord than consent.

Houses were in place at least in the century prior to Ptolemy: see Manilius and Dorotheus. Vettius Valens, Ptolemy's contemporary, used them.

Whole signs was probably the earliest system used, but a quadrant system named for Porphyry was also known in late Antiquity. I haven't seen any good evidence of Placidus being used in Antiquity. This is one system that really depends on an accurate birth time, which was hard to do prior to better time-keeping inventions. There is zero evidence that Ptolemy used Placidus houses-- or any house system, for that matter.

Ptolemy's contribution to all the following astrological practice is indisputable, Porphyry himself wrote the prefaces to Ptolemy's volumes, and we're still using some of his archaic concepts in the XXI century. For this, I see nothing so weird about quoting Ptolemy in an astrology forum.

I don't think it's weird whatsoever. I'm delighted that you're exploring Ptolemy's work.

Ptolemy was the great astronomer and astrologer who revolutionized a good part of our recorded history with his ideas, he wrote the Tetrabiblos, the book I had fun quoting. What is the Tetrabiblos about?, why is it so important?
It is a masterpiece for us astrologers because for the first time an astrologer collected all the previous knowledges about the stars, and put order into them. We in here know that Ptolemy's Tetrabiblos is his mathematical, Hipparchian, interpretation of the older Chaldean and Egyptian traditions. He didn't write anything new, but revisited many things. Ptolemy pushes himself, in his selections, to the point of omitting and even criticize many back then traditionally accepted astrological theories, both Egyptian and babylonian; because to him astrology had to follow scientific, mathematical rules. If you couldn't apply those rules then such theories had no reason to exist. He even pushes himself to the point of accusing false astrologers and magic practitioners, who'd just put in a bad light the scientific astrological practice.

Ptolemy was the great systematizer, but he did not collate all of the astrological information available at his time. He was pretty choosey, in deleting the parts he considered magical or unfounded. Valens was more of a compiler.

In taking your main points about Ptolemy, however, I can't see where this leads to any sort of house-sign match-up by the numbers. You won't find this in Ptolemy.

Now, I hope that with this brief introduction you came to notice the importance of the ptolemaic syncretism of the previous traditions. Syncretism is a word that means "putting together", and it's a concept really important that I've been trying to underline from the beginning. Syncretism= Ptolemy condensed different traditions.

Alright, let's move further and let's se what all the excerpts I quoted have to say about the houses, planets and signs.

1)There are no houses. There are angles. Angles are not houses, the angles are the 4 spots drawn from the 2 axis, that correspond to the 4 cardinal points, which Ptolemy calculated (sorry for calling them houses, I was trying to make things easier, obviously it didn't work).

As I mentioned above, there is a problem in some translations, where the ancient Greek probably does translate more concisely into our English word "houses," but if you follow the astrology, the ancient authors did not mean houses in our contemporary sense, they meant signs. I also discussed angles recently-- not sure if you read my posts. Did you?

2)The 4 angles, that are specific places inside the wheel, have a stronger quality to them, so that when a planet falls in them, they'll be stronger. There are even succedent places and signs, that are not strong like the angular, but it depends on other factors too.

You'll find this discussion in my recent posts. Did you read them?

3)The precession of the equinoxes, given arbitrarily we don't know by who and when, as neither did Ptolemy, was nevertheless considered fundamental to set the zodiacal wheel to start with Aries. It was Hipparcus to trace the first official date for when the Aries precession occurred, he even gave the dispositions to calculate it, and we know that Ptolemy adopted it and tried to calculate it as well, but he calculated it wrong.

What is your source, here? The point being, that with the use of 30-degree pie-slices of the heavens that only loosely correspond to the constellations for which they were named, you can put the Aries Point about anywhere in the sign. The Babylonians had some older measurements that put the equinox at 8 and 5 degrees, but they do not seem to have understood precession.

In the passages I posted here it was shown the importance he attributes to it: Aries happens to have spring-like, moist features that very much fit its nature, he even states that if the precession had to start with another sign then the whole wheel would be "alien", i.e. it wouldn't make sense.

5) In the very first excerpts I pasted, Ptolemy makes the 4 angles correspond to the seasonal cycle, explaining them with their qualities: cold, dry etc.
The seasonal cycle is as well associated to the signs.

6) Every sign is the "house" of a planet, and every angle, is more or less attuned with the qualities both of the planets and those of the signs, Ptolemy then recommends One to take into account all these corresponding factors, to obtain the most accurate reading. (first excerpt)

This didn't work the way your modern house=sign system does. Ptolemy indicates a system of planetary domiciles (moon-Cancer, Saturn-Capricorn) based upon the planets' distance from the sun and earth both temporally and spatially (geocentric orbits.) His system further relates to the Aristotelian qualities of cold/warm/wet/dry, not to a group of modern personality traits.

We have to consider the Tetrabiblos is one of the oldest treatise we have on astrology. Most of its rules and theories have been proved wrong. This is not a bible, although for us astrologers, it could be considered like it.

No, it's not a Bible. But hardly any of its rules and theories have been "proved wrong." Some have been simply ignored, refined, or replaced.

Considering this: that Aries starts our wheel, and it is associated to spring; that spring is associated to the moist, and that moist is associated to strength; that angular spots are stronger, and they are just places... to me it's like making 2+2= 4.

This logic entirely escapes me. In Aristotelian proto-science, warmth and moisture promoted plant growth, whereas cold and dry conditions were inimicable to growth. But a planet like Mars could be excessively hot. This didn't really relate to "strength." Aries is no "stronger" than any other sign unless it happens to fall on a chart angle in a particular horoscope.

The Babylonian calendar did start with Aries, as it corresponded with the lambing season. They didn't use houses, however.

I don't know if you're familiar with the idealized thema mundi chart https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thema_Mundi of ancient astrology, which gives Cancer rising, and shows the planets in their domiciles. The rationale for Cancer rising apparently was to start the chart with the signs at the warmest part of the year.

Ptolemy didn't really say houses=signs. He just said that the spots in the wheel called angular or succedent, that we call houses, have a given quality to them.
Then he says these qualities of the angles are associate to spring and winter etc., just like signs.

Ptolemy here deals with seasons, which are, well, seasonal. Houses are diurnal. Note, too, that the order of rising signs is the reverse of the order of sun-signs.

I wasn't trying to let you see Ptolemy confirming the houses= signs theory. He's "our astrological father", and he himself made the rules that brought us to create such a theory.
If you actually connect those pieces: seasons/signs/planets/angles, you'll see every part is connected to the other. That's what Ptolemy said in all the excerpts I pasted anyway.

ps, none in here wants to take away the importance of house-cusps. this has nothing to do with house cusps.

Now, I'm really mystified. Nowhere in either your excerpt or this overview have you explained that Ptolemy confirmed houses=signs. He didn't like to divide quadrants into discrete houses, for one thing, so that is a leap of logic. You can hardly pin on him a theory that had no currency until the early 20th century.

waybread

In traditional astrology, houses, not signs, have strength or weakness; as modified by their ruling planets. Valens has perfectly awful things to say about Aquarius and Capricorn, apparently due to their Saturn rulership. Then a strong Venus in a man's chart was believed to make him "effeminate"-- not good in their day

JUPITERASC

Houses cannot be strong or weak, but the planets in the houses are ?:)
HOUSES are either:
angular = 1st, 4th, 7th & 10th
succeedent = 2nd, 5th, 8th, & 11th
or
cadent = 3rd, 6th, 9th & 12th

houses are not all equal in strength and power :smile:

i.e.
If a planet is located in an angular house it is much more forceful in its effects
than it would be in a cadent house.

in CHRISTIAN ASTROLOGY William Lilly writes:

The angles are most powerful
the succeedents are next in virtue
the cadents poor, and of little efficacy:
the succeedent houses follow the angles
the cadents come next after the succeedents.

In force and virtue they stand so in order
:

1 10 7 4 11 5 9 3 2 8 6 12

The meaning whereof is this
that two planets equally dignified
the one in the Ascendant
the other in the tenth house
you shall judge the planet in the Ascendant somewhat of more power
to effect what he is significator of
than he that is in the tenth:
do so in the rest as they stand in order
remembering that planets in angles do more forcibly show their effects.

david starling

In traditional astrology, houses, not signs, have strength or weakness; as modified by their ruling planets. Valens has perfectly awful things to say about Aquarius and Capricorn, apparently due to their Saturn rulership. Then a strong Venus in a man's chart was believed to make him "effeminate"-- not good in their day

This Thread has become very educational concerning the differences between Modern and Traditional views of the Planet/Sign/House relationships. Additionally, waybread has a good overview of the differences within Modern-astrology concerning the Sign/House relationships. I just want to add, that in the late 1960's, I thought it was taken for granted that the Signs themselves were numbered, beginning with Aries. Of course, I now know that it's apparently a "minority-view". Answering the Thread's question, "Do you agree with this? (House Positions = Sign Placements"), for me, the answer is a qualified "No"--because "=" implies SAMENESS in both nature and function. Houses CAN determine which Sign-qualities are MOST ADVANTAGEOUS in a particular area of life, but don't confer qualities themselves. [IMO]

Last edited:
moonrise, I actually paraphrased some of your latest long excerpt in a couple of previous posts.

Ptolemy definitely looked at aspects between planetary pairs, although he seemed to do this by sign, rather than by degree. For example, if you had a domiciled moon in Cancer rising, that was a strong position-- both by domicile and by angularity. If you had Venus in Scorpio, then that Venus wasn't so strong (today we'd say it was in detriment) but the relationship with the moon would be harmonious due to the trine aspect.

Ptolemy may have said that Venus in Scorpio and Moon in Cancer being trine is positive but I have heard some say (in other online discussions) that it would be better far better to receive the trine from Venus in Pisces, not just because Venus is exalted there but because it stops the Moon from being received in her fall (aspected by a planet in the Moon's sign of fall) The idea would be that since Venus is not only in detriment but in the Moon's fall, it would be better she doesn't aspect the Moon at all, even by trine which is usually a positive aspect.

It's something I've considered recently. Not sure how I feel about it.

JUPITERASC

Here's how I see it, comments welcome:

When a Planet is a "bad fit" for the Sign it's in,
that weakens its effect on the Chart.
Not necessarily "weakens it's EFFECT on the chart" :smile:

because
traditionally
as I just mentioned not all houses are equal in strength

and so
if a planet that's a "bad fit" for the Sign it's in
is located in an angular house
and
houses 1, 4, 7, 10 are angular

then
that planet
"is much more forceful in its EFFECTS
than it would be in a cadent house"

david starling

Not necessarily "weakens it's EFFECT on the chart" :smile:

because
traditionally
as I just mentioned not all houses are equal in strength

and so
if a planet that's a "bad fit" for the Sign it's in
is located in an angular house
and
houses 1, 4, 7, 10 are angular

then
that planet
"is much more forceful in its EFFECTS
than it would be in a cadent house"

Good--I was pondering the difference between the strength of the effect of a Planet which is in its Fall in a Sign, but located in an Angular-house, compared to that Planet in its Exaltation in a Sign, but located in a Cadent-house. :unsure:

tripleooo

Ptolemy may have said that Venus in Scorpio and Moon in Cancer being trine is positive but I have heard some say (in other online discussions) that it would be better far better to receive the trine from Venus in Pisces, not just because Venus is exalted there but because it stops the Moon from being received in her fall (aspected by a planet in the Moon's sign of fall) The idea would be that since Venus is not only in detriment but in the Moon's fall, it would be better she doesn't aspect the Moon at all, even by trine which is usually a positive aspect.

It's something I've considered recently. Not sure how I feel about it.

So you're new to the concept of reception? http://www.skyscript.co.uk/dig6.html

Being received means that a planet is attended to. It is also less likely to be damaged by a malefic planet when it is received by it. This is the reason why many traditional authors have warned that aspects may be unable to produce a positive result if there is no form of reception between the planets.

P.S. I also found out about it very recently so no problem here. :smile: