I'm a Libra and I don't care about social conventions.

craft94

I made this post because in theory, Libras should care about social conventions. That's because Libra represents the values that supposedly hold the fabric of society together: fairness, truth, justice, love, peace. But the sad reality is that these things are considered unconventional. Our society is driven by war, lies, hate, greed, oppression, selfishness and the will to power.
I want to care about social conventions because I want the things I stand for to be conventional. I want love and peace to become universally accepted - but until then, I'll remain unconventional.

Last edited:

theV

Whereas the Aries energy had always represented the wilderness and the basic primitive nature of human beings ie going back the forest and living the peasant way of live, Libra had always been the opposite of what nature had called for. The Libra energy divorces from nature and it creates an artificial way of living. And as you mentioned, Libra energy somehow represents the social norms and traditions maintaining the human interaction. A shift happens from individualistic and natural way of living to an artificial way of living when the man has to contact with other man and the contact must respect the Libra norms. Libra attempts to bring human beings together under social code in which selfish aries energy would prevail and harmony would exists.

I see the Scorpio energy as a way to break down the Libra energy. Since corruption, violence and wars occupies the scorpion nature, the social norms built by libras appeals to them not and there is an urge to destroy the superficiality.

That's why I see many Aries having hard time being nice and sociable.

theV

Many would assign ERIS to libra because it represents the shadow side of libra. Whenever the society no longer respects the Social norms of the libra energy, the dark energy of libra would appear as Eris godess of choas to bring about changes.

iauiugu

i feel like libra (and venus by extension) are less about holding up social conventions as they happen to be (which seems more saturnian to me) but is more like what you're saying -- desiring to see the values of harmony and mutual respect to be the convention

when it comes to the day to day and not the Big Picture, do you try to make people feel comfortable in social situations, apply these values within your environment with others? because that seems pretty libran

craft94

i feel like libra (and venus by extension) are less about holding up social conventions as they happen to be (which seems more saturnian to me) but is more like what you're saying -- desiring to see the values of harmony and mutual respect to be the convention

when it comes to the day to day and not the Big Picture, do you try to make people feel comfortable in social situations, apply these values within your environment with others? because that seems pretty libran

Yes, exactly. Lets say someone is considered 'unconventional' and is ostacized by everyone else, I wll go out of my way to make that person feel comfortable and accepted.

waybread

craft, surely you know that we have to look at the entire chart. You've moved beyond simplistic sun-sign astrology,....right?

craft94

craft, surely you know that we have to look at the entire chart. You've moved beyond simplistic sun-sign astrology,....right?

Did you even read my post? My argument was that social conventions more often than not conflict with the idea of justice and fairness. Looking at my entire chart does not make that argument any less valid.

CapAquaPis

If Eris rules (or influences) Libra (and theoretically, Aquarius), then it explains the two signs' less compliance with social conventions or norms. Be yourself is the ethos of Aquarius, already ruled by weird eccentric Uranus on a 98* tilt axis. You're not an egocentric person, you believe people are unique in their own ways, and it's not a bad thing.

iauiugu

If Eris rules (or influences) Libra (and theoretically, Aquarius), then it explains the two signs' less compliance with social conventions or norms. Be yourself is the ethos of Aquarius, already ruled by weird eccentric Uranus on a 98* tilt axis. You're not an egocentric person, you believe people are unique in their own ways, and it's not a bad thing.

I find Venus far more libran than tauran, and likely the true ruler of libra. outside of Grice's book on Eris, i don't know many who argue Eris is libran

It's also good to note that your sun sign isn't all of you; there's no consensus that the sun or it's sign is most important; you could live through your moon more, or have an impactful aspect in your chart that makes you more an idealist than the stereotypical libran

craft94

I find Venus far more libran than tauran, and likely the true ruler of libra. outside of Grice's book on Eris, i don't know many who argue Eris is libran

It's also good to note that your sun sign isn't all of you; there's no consensus that the sun or it's sign is most important; you could live through your moon more, or have an impactful aspect in your chart that makes you more an idealist than the stereotypical libran

My thread has nothing to do with Sun-sign astrology.
Ignore the title.
That was just a way to catch people's attention.
My argument wasn't, "is it weird that I'm a Libra who doesn't fit the typical description?" My argument was: this particular description of Libra (this would apply to Libra Moon or Libra Venus too, not just Libra Sun!!!!!) makes no sense. In fact, it clashes with other descriptions and that was my point.
Not every Libra Sun cares about justice or peace either. I am talking about the archetype of the sign. The sign of Libra is idealistic. That's why so many people get frustrated with it. Like, literally. It literally represents an ideal: balance. You can interpret that how you want.
If you want to interpret Libra as a romantic sign rather than a political one, what I said still stands: love, romance - in the age of Tinder, those things are unconventional. These days, if you say you want a serious relationship, it doesn't make you look too cool. It's trendy to hate everything and be cynical.
By the way, I am not annoyed w/ you. I agreed with your other comments. Just at waybread for even mentioning the whole sun sign thing (and being condescending about it) I almost feel like she's trolling my thread...like me being "unlike other Libras" was not the point of this post.

Last edited:

craft94

Eris doesn't rule Libra. This idea was fabricated by some esoteric, evolutionary astrologers.

I don't think theV was saying that Eris rules Libra. I think he was just explaining why those esoteric, evolutionary astrologers came to that conclusion. Eris isn't a planet so it doesn't rule anything imo but what he said about social norms is correct

craft94

Whereas the Aries energy had always represented the wilderness and the basic primitive nature of human beings ie going back the forest and living the peasant way of live, Libra had always been the opposite of what nature had called for. The Libra energy divorces from nature and it creates an artificial way of living. And as you mentioned, Libra energy somehow represents the social norms and traditions maintaining the human interaction. A shift happens from individualistic and natural way of living to an artificial way of living when the man has to contact with other man and the contact must respect the Libra norms. Libra attempts to bring human beings together under social code in which selfish aries energy would prevail and harmony would exists.

I see the Scorpio energy as a way to break down the Libra energy. Since corruption, violence and wars occupies the scorpion nature, the social norms built by libras appeals to them not and there is an urge to destroy the superficiality.

That's why I see many Aries having hard time being nice and sociable.

Much of what you said about the Aries/Libra axis is correct. Except I wouldn't necesarily describe those Libra values as 'artificial' and definitely not 'superficial'. I guess it is artificial to some degree but artificial carries the connotation of being fake, and I would hope that when people treat each other with kindness, they aren't being fake. I would hope they'd be doing it out of a greater awareness and well-developed intelligence. Selfishness may be what's natural on the material plane but definitely not on the spiritual plane and human beings are supposed to naturally be social animals anyway.

As for superficiality, I do agree that Scorpio is about destroying superficiality, yes. But are Libran values superficial? Not at all. They only become superficial when "liberty and justice for all" is merely used as a slogan to describe a society whose actions are the very opposite. I read soooo much on the internet about how great Scorpios are, "I am proud to have Scorpio in my chart," and sooo much about how horrible Librans are, "I'm not really a Libra, can someone please point out another planet or aspect in my chart that contradicts this?" and I think it's a great reflection of who we are as a society: people value power more than they do other people. 'Sexiness' and 'intensity' are more important to us than kindness or integrity. I strongly disagree with the idea that hating others and living strictly for your own ego is somehow 'deep' and 'real' while treating others with kindness and respect is somehow 'fake' and 'shallow' but this is an idea that many people these days subscribe to. Many people use kindness to mask evil but that doesn't make kindness in itself evil. The higher vibration of Scorpio is about exposing evil, not revelling in it, but there are many people these days who do and they used evolutionary theories like you'vejust described and the idea that humans are naturally selfishh as a justification for it. Social darwinism it is called.

Last edited: