Which aspects matter the most with an eclipse ?

Chrysalis

We've got two upcoming eclipses in July, one lunar and one solar, im just taking a look at my own chart and a couple of people i know, as to how this may/may not affect us.

Just a little question, is it ONLY the hard aspects that count, or would the trines/sextiles have an effect too ?

Last edited:

Chrysalis

Also can the effects of an eclipse be felt before the eclipse takes place, if so how long, what would the approaching orb need to be ?

IleneK

Premium Member
My experience is that the effects of an eclipse are felt especially by conjunction and opposition, because those are contacts that form the eclipses themselves: solar [Sun/Moon conjunction] and lunar [Sun/Moon opposition]. So a solar eclipse conjunct a natal planet would be most dramatic, with both Sun and Moon on the natal planet. Lunar eclipses can also be dramatic, with either Sun or Moon conjoining the natal planet. You can begin to see the variations in interpretation of the Full Moon lunar eclipse depending upon which transiting planet [Sun or Moon] conjoins or aspects natal planet. My experience is also that when an eclipse squares a natal point, it can also be felt quite strongly.
I think the orb of an eclipse is within a few degrees, say not more than 2-3. The closer the more dramatic.
And it is said that effects of the eclipse are both before and after contact. Some say, from approximately 3-6 months before and continuing also 3-6 months after. So in a way it acts in two waves or time frames, one the actual orb and then a general long term effect both before and after.

Eclipses will be felt especially strongly if they are on the luminaries. But also other personal planets, or sensitive points in the chart, like the Asc, MC or special chart signatures.

Last edited:

Chrysalis

My experience is that the effects of an eclipse are felt especially by conjunction and opposition, because those are contacts that form the eclipses themselves: solar [Sun/Moon conjunction] and lunar [Sun/Moon opposition]. So a solar eclipse conjunct a natal planet would be most dramatic, with both Sun and Moon on the natal planet. Lunar eclipses can also be dramatic, with either Sun or Moon conjoining the natal planet. You can begin to see the variations in interpretation of the Full Moon lunar eclipse depending upon which transiting planet [Sun or Moon] conjoins or aspects natal planet. My experience is also that when an eclipse squares a natal point, it can also be felt quite strongly.
I think the orb of an eclipse is within a few degrees, say not more than 2-3. The closer the more dramatic.
And it is said that effects of the eclipse are both before and after contact. Some say, from approximately 3-6 months before and continuing also 3-6 months after. So in a way it acts in two waves or time frames, one the actual orb and then a general long term effect both before and after.

Eclipses will be felt especially strongly if they are on the luminaries. But also other personal planets, or sensitive points in the chart, like the Asc, MC or special chart signatures.

Yes this makes sense with regards to the opposition and conjunction being the strongest.

"My experience is also that when an eclipse squares a natal point, it can also be felt quite strongly."

When you say natal point, do you mean a planet ?

Regarding my own chart, ive got the solar eclipse happening in my 7th house square my venus in my 9th, venus ruling my 5th, if the actual eclipse happens at 20 degrees cancer then its a 2 degree orb, i suppose ill have to see if anything what this brings. Straight after the eclipse ive got my mercury return too.

My sisters got her solar eclipse exactly on her dsc, but trine her sun...so im sure being on the dsc should bring something, regardless of the trine (if trines don't count).

Oh and my friends solar eclipse exactly opposes her venus/saturn conjunction in her 1st, venus ruling her 4th. Not sure if this is bad or good.

From what ive learnt so far solar eclipses are supposed to bring something as its the NN, and the Lunar eclipse takes away.

Yes i have learnt it carries on for 3-6 mths an eclipse, i just wasn't sure about the before part, so also 3-6mths before makes sense. Nothings really been happening for me this year though, so the 3-6mths before im not sure what it could be.

Last edited:

IleneK

Premium Member
Yes, I meant natal planet when I said natal point.
Being born when and where you were, such that houses are so skewed, I would urge you just to take a peek at your natal chart from a whole sign perspective. It really makes it interesting, changes it up.
It puts the eclipse in the 8th house/sign, so the results of relationship, rather than focusing on relationship itself. And Venus is in the 11th, the house of trust and friendships.

So at the time of the eclipse, Sun will have moved to the 20th degree of Cancer over the last two or so days. Moon comes along the day of the perfection of the eclipse to square Mars, Pluto, then Venus. Then, through Venus' sextile to Mercury and at the actual degree of the eclipse, Moon activates Mercury.

And you know me: I don't place a lot of weight on the outers, since none of us can actually grasp transpersonal influences, and, secondly, there is still debate as to whether Pluto even possesses the substance of a planet. [And I say this with a natal Pluto-Saturn-Moon-Mars conjunction; I don't say it lightly.] So I would take Pluto out of the flow, out of the equation for a while.

And when I do, what I see here is an important opportunity based in the richness and support of your friendship community. If we see your Venus in the 11th, with the 11th ruled by Venus in her dignity, and also ruling and conjoining Mars in Libra, this looks like an important opportunity for you to reconsider and reshape friendship [11th] and relationship [Venus conjoining Mars], all as an outcome or product of relationships [8th] that you have experienced heretofore. And then Mercury is activated, and you get it!

So that through friendship and the wisdom and experience that you have gained from past relationships, you have the opportunity to gain some clarity [if you are paying attention :)] and things may become more grounded and supporting in your life....?

I will say that you may need to be watching for the flow of events [in a relaxed and joyful way, not being paranoid], since this is a square. And in accord with the nature of the square, the relevant events/realizations may come out of nowhere. But in my experience, eclipses may be highly transformational, with the solar/new moon eclipse accompanying new beginnings and energy to shape or reshape matters. And the lunar/full moon eclipse accompanying illumination followed by movement toward release.

This one is a new moon, so full of energy to create and sustain new beginnings surrounding friendship and trust, and supported with the personal strength of Venus in Libra.

And don't just wait for this to happen to you. With the elements discussed here, you may want to look creatively at your life and use the eclipse energies to help you begin to reshape and sustain your friendship/relational life in a new way.

Perhaps this is just the perfect time? :)

Last edited:

IleneK

Premium Member
PS

From what ive learnt so far solar eclipses are supposed to bring something as its the NN, and the Lunar eclipse takes away.

Just as an FYI, I am not sure that this is entirely true?
Respected modern astrologer, Celeste Teal writes:

Most years we have only two Solar Eclipses, as the Sun moves into the zodiac sign occupied by either the North or South Node; some years, however, there are more.

and

Also, each eclipse can be one of four types. We have the North Node Solar Eclipse, the South Node Solar Eclipse, the North Node Lunar Eclipse, and the South Node Lunar Eclipse.

at

http://llewellyn.com/journal/article/1357

Last edited:

Chrysalis

Yes, I meant natal planet when I said natal point.
Being born when and where you were, such that houses are so skewed, I would urge you just to take a peek at your natal chart from a whole sign perspective. It really makes it interesting, changes it up.
It puts the eclipse in the 8th house/sign, so the results of relationship, rather than focusing on relationship itself. And Venus is in the 11th, the house of trust and friendships.
I'll be testing the house system out with this upcoming eclipse. I have looked at my chart with wholesigns, but it doesn't make sense to me, this would put my 8th house planets in the 10th, and this is not me. My sun really does belong in the 8th house, i have all the 8th house qualities good/bad....so im not too sure on using wholesigns, which is why ive always stuck with placidus.
So at the time of the eclipse, Sun will have moved to the 20th degree of Cancer over the last two or so days. Moon comes along the day of the perfection of the eclipse to square Mars, Pluto, then Venus. Then, through Venus' sextile to Mercury and at the actual degree of the eclipse, Moon activates Mercury.
How can moon activate mercury, when at the degree of the eclipse moons in cancer and mercurys in Leo ? This would be a semi sextile. Or do you mean when moon then goes into Leo and heads to activate mercury ?
And you know me: I don't place a lot of weight on the outers, since none of us can actually grasp transpersonal influences, and, secondly, there is still debate as to whether Pluto even possesses the substance of a planet. [And I say this with a natal Pluto-Saturn-Moon-Mars conjunction; I don't say it lightly.] So I would take Pluto out of the flow, out of the equation for a while.
Plutos got to have some effect though, right ? Maybe your saturn is overpowering pluto within the conjunction. Im sure i can feel my pluto.
And when I do, what I see here is an important opportunity based in the richness and support of your friendship community. If we see your Venus in the 11th, with the 11th ruled by Venus in her dignity, and also ruling and conjoining Mars in Libra, this looks like an important opportunity for you to reconsider and reshape friendship [11th] and relationship [Venus conjoining Mars], all as an outcome or product of relationships [8th] that you have experienced heretofore. And then Mercury is activated, and you get it!

So that through friendship and the wisdom and experience that you have gained from past relationships, you have the opportunity to gain some clarity [if you are paying attention :)] and things may become more grounded and supporting in your life....?

I will say that you may need to be watching for the flow of events [in a relaxed and joyful way, not being paranoid], since this is a square. And in accord with the nature of the square, the relevant events/realizations may come out of nowhere. But in my experience, eclipses may be highly transformational, with the solar/new moon eclipse accompanying new beginnings and energy to shape or reshape matters. And the lunar/full moon eclipse accompanying illumination followed by movement toward release.

This one is a new moon, so full of energy to create and sustain new beginnings surrounding friendship and trust, and supported with the personal strength of Venus in Libra.

And don't just wait for this to happen to you. With the elements discussed here, you may want to look creatively at your life and use the eclipse energies to help you begin to reshape and sustain your friendship/relational life in a new way.

Perhaps this is just the perfect time? :)

Thanks illene, when something happens i'll update this thread and let you know, my lifes kind of quiet at present and has been for the past couple of weeks...i don't like quietness though, to me its like the calm before the storm, im always expecting something to happen.

IleneK

Premium Member
.How can moon activate mercury, when at the degree of the eclipse moons in cancer and mercurys in Leo ?

Moon activates Mercury through Venus' natal sextile with Mercury. The effect flows through Venus to its natal contacts of which Merc is one, by sextile.

Last edited:

Chrysalis

.How can moon activate mercury, when at the degree of the eclipse moons in cancer and mercurys in Leo ?

Moon activates Mercury through Venus' natal sextile with Mercury. The effect flows through Venus to its natal contacts of which Merc is one, by sextile.

Oh right, i get you now.

Thankyou :tongue:

Chrysalis

The eclipse didn't cause anything in my life really, unless there's still time :unsure:

Im saying "unless there's still time" as the solar eclipse happened on the 12th, so 8 days ago, my friend had the eclipse happening in her 7th house exactly opposing her venus/saturn (20/21 degrees) conjunction in capricorn, in her 1st house.

When i seen this when i looked at her chart, i did think "oh no another break up for her" but as its an eclipse that's caused this, this could be permanent, i didn't tell her though incase i was wrong.

About an hr ago she's just knocked on my door, eyes all red, saying he's left her for good this time, he's told her he doesn't love her anymore etc...all out of the blue :(

So i'm just writing this, to show that the event the eclipse causes doesn't need to be exact on the day of the eclipse, it could happen before or after the eclipse.

IleneK

Premium Member
The eclipse didn't cause anything in my life really, unless there's still time :unsure:

So i'm just writing this, to show that the event the eclipse causes doesn't need to be exact on the day of the eclipse, it could happen before or after the eclipse.

There's time.

As we discussed earlier in this thread, the effects of an eclipse in your chart can extend both before and after the aspect it makes. As much as 6 months before through 6 months after.