Western vs. Vedic Astrology

Michael

Western

Strenghts.
1. Hellenistic astrology seems to have a deep
influence in Vedic astrology. In special the use
of the zodiac.
2. Psychological astrology is very useful.

Limitations.
1. No use of lunar masions, except in medieval
astrology. Even then, it's not an original concept
since lunar mansions seem to have been copied
from Vedic astrology nakshatras.

Vedic

Strenghts.
1. Oldest astrology system still in use. Hellenistic
could be older, however it is seldom used.

Limitations.
2. Fatalistic, tend to superstitions, materialistic.

Last edited:

wilsontc

Staff member
Western astrology and Hellenistic astrology, to Michael

Michael,

You said:
Western [Astrology] Hellenistic astrology seems to have a deep influence in Vedic astrology

"Western astrology" is different from "Hellenistic" or "mediaeval" astrology. If you are going to group astrology, a natural grouping is Western astrology (modern, non-predictive) and ancient/medieval/Vedic astrology (old, predictive). This also suggests a more natural grouping of "non-predictive" astrology and "predictive" astrology and "modern" and "old" astrology. There are very few people who use Western astrology for detailed, precise predictive uses. People interested in absolute predictions frequently move toward the older, traditional astrologies.

Suggesting a different way to organize,

Tim

Pallas-trine-Mars

The worst of Vedic & Hellenistic is how inflexible they are, they refuse to recognize Uranus, Neptune & the others, which is sad, I don't realy study Vedic astrology because it's so complex, thousands of years of philosophy & borrowed methods and interpretations went into it, but most modern Vedic astrologers want to pretend they know it all already.

You don't have to limit yourself to one model of astrology.

Last edited:

sskohli

is how inflexible they are, they refuse to recognize Uranus, Neptune & the others, which is sad,
i would like to put it another way..."If it ain't broken...why fix it"
Vedic astrologers are traditionalists..and more of umm purists..when things are working for them...why woul dthey want to include other aspects...
PLus like you said there are soooo many combinations that they've experienced and documented..who has the time for "Mass affecting Outer Planets"

sandeep

ekhazeni

I tested Ayanamsa in vedic and i findout that ayanamsa will returns a more powerful interpertation more than western astrology. I also processed the western transit methods with ayanamsa and it was great

Michael

Yes, that is a strong point of vedic too,
it's use of the sidereal zodiac. Western
astrology is old fashioned in that sense.
However there is something called western
sidereal astrology that was introduced by
the Irish astrologer Cyril Fagan.