Neptune in Capricorn generation entering the workplace

eviltwin

As the Neptune in Capricorn generation starts to enter the workforce, it appears that we are seeing a lot more emphasis on deriving "meaning" at work, and not just earning money.

I don't know if that is an accurate statement to make, but watch this video and tell me what you think. It appears to me that in the coming years, organizations are slowly going to wake up and focus on making life at work more meaningful, as a ways of motivating employees to perform at their best...

RSA Animate - Drive: The surprising truth about what motivates us

What do you think? Is this an emerging trend, or is it too early to tell? Is this an accurate interpretation of Neptune in Capricorn?

Also: do you know anyone with Neptune in Capricorn? How do their views on work reflect this notion, compared to previous generations? How have you seen Neptune in Capricorn in the various houses function?

Arian Maverick

As a member of the Neptune in Capricorn generation who is preparing to enter the workforce, I feel I am "qualified" to answer this question. I've communicated with other members of this generation through the forums, so I can validate that my personal experience is not unusual.

As the Neptune in Capricorn generation starts to enter the workforce, it appears that we are seeing a lot more emphasis on deriving "meaning" at work, and not just earning money.

Absolutely, but I must add the caveat that this trait is more pronounced in some young people than others. I am an Idealist, a Myers-Briggs INFP type, so my work must reflect my values. I believe I am incapable of working in the corporate world, as it currently is constructed--and if I do, I must work for an organization whose mission includes community outreach and/or the promotion of environmental sustainability. This is non-negotiable. As I wrote in a personal message to another Neptune in Capricorn forum member last night, "I tend to be openly defiant of others' expectations for me to 'play the game.' I am ambitious, yes--but I am not inauthentic. I rather would fail in others' eyes than defy my personal values." I am willing to forgo many conveniences and comforts of modern life to achieve personal fulfillment through my career.

Many of my peers are idealistic, yes, but they pursue what they believe will be lucrative career paths. This is fine, but I sense this is the primary consideration for many of them.

I don't know if that is an accurate statement to make, but watch this video and tell me what you think. It appears to me that in the coming years, organizations are slowly going to wake up and focus on making life at work more meaningful, as a ways of motivating employees to perform at their best...

RSA Animate - Drive: The surprising truth about what motivates us

What do you think? Is this an emerging trend, or is it too early to tell? Is this an accurate interpretation of Neptune in Capricorn?

I will watch this video upon the completion of this post, but I do not wish for the information and views expressed within to alter the ideas I express here.

I agree wholly with your assessment that "in the coming years, organizations are slowly going to wake up and focus on making life at work more meaningful, as a ways of motivating employees to perform at their best." I cannot substantiate this claim, but I know it will happen because members of my generation will make it happen.

When I write about Neptune in Capricorn--particularly about the Saturn-Neptune conjunction, the influence under which I was born--I often use the phrase "practical idealism." Make no mistake; for all of the idealism we may express, we are eminently practical. We will institute the business practices you describe because treating employees well and motivating them to perform their best is good for business! You hire and retain the best employees, and these employees are most efficient when they are happy and in good health. They do not simply "clock in" and "clock out." They contribute more to the company when they feel their work matters. It's as simple as that.

Also: do you know anyone with Neptune in Capricorn? How do their views on work reflect this notion, compared to previous generations?

Obviously, I was not alive when my parents' generation came of age, so it is difficult for me to make this comparison. I feel that they paved the way for us to do this work, however.

How have you seen Neptune in Capricorn in the various houses function?

I'm uncertain if my natal Neptune has domain in my tenth house or my eleventh house because in my rectified natal chart, it's on the cusp of the eleventh house in the Placidus house system. Honestly, I feel its influence in both houses. Neptune in the tenth house reflects that my highest aspirations include much of the idealism with which Neptune is associated. Neptune in the eleventh house reflects my desire to work with nonprofit and other charitable organizations. I have a great sense of community and interact with varied groups of people through activism. I'm interested in public service. :smile:

Arian Maverick

eviltwin

Hey Arian,

Yeah I totally get what you're saying. I'm part of the Neptune in Cap gen too, btw (1986 born) :)

It's an issue that I definitely feel pretty strongly in my own life, and my ears perked up when I saw that video, because it seemed to mirror exactly my way of thinking. So I took an educated guess that Neptune in Cap was causing this; which would mean that in fact it is a generational influence that is going to reshape our largest institutions... including big business! It feels reassuring that it's not just something I am going through, because it implies that there will likely be desire to undertake a major effort in restructuring the business world, and reunite making money with making meaning.

I have my singleton Neptune at the end of my first house, so I interpret it as being in the second. I think because of this (second house being an earth house, and singleton planets becoming a salient feature of a chart), the issue is somewhat magnified for me. My baseline feeling is that there needs to be a good why in addition to 'making a good living,' when it comes to work. I get the feeling that when a person has a profound 'why,' they are much more likely to freely release greater amounts of creative energy, and deliver a much higher quality of work.

Anyone have any experience of how Neptune in Capricorn works in the various houses? It'd be interesting to also see what people have found in their experience.

soratothamax

What is the difference between Virgo in Neptune and Capricorn in Neptune? Both of them are very practical. Anyone have a Neptune in Virgo so I can make a comparison?

M

may28gemini

I think Capricorn is more acutely ambitious than Virgo. Cap Neptune is going to be a more dry, cut-throat, and matter-of-fact. Forget about the "feel" of anything that goes with Neptune, esp. the arts. Cap Neptune is more interested in what they can cash in for money and status of the here and now. Remember, Cap isn't about meaning in the philosophical sense, that's Sagittarius. Cap is only interested in "meaning" on the practical/useful level to apply to current situation.

If anyone wants to talk about the philosophical meaning of work and how it translates, talk to people of the Sagittarius Neptune generation or better yet, Libra Neptune generation to see how they've balanced between ideals vs reality.

soratothamax

I think Capricorn is more acutely ambitious than Virgo. Cap Neptune is going to be a more dry, cut-throat, and matter-of-fact. Forget about the "feel" of anything that goes with Neptune, esp. the arts. Cap Neptune is more interested in what they can cash in for money and status of the here and now. Remember, Cap isn't about meaning in the philosophical sense, that's Sagittarius. Cap is only interested in "meaning" on the practical/useful level to apply to current situation.

If anyone wants to talk about the philosophical meaning of work and how it translates, talk to people of the Sagittarius Neptune generation or better yet, Libra Neptune generation to see how they've balanced between ideals vs reality.

So Virgo is more realistic without cashing in. So when it came to art it's realistic, but not with business or industry involved?what would Virgo be like? Pisces being Virgo's opposite, and the new modern ruler, I take it they wouldn't be the most imaginative bunch...

Last edited:
M

may28gemini

Although Virgo and Capricorn are both earth signs, they're very different. For one, Virgo isn't stingy like Capricorn. Virgo also gives into their whims and a bit too OCD over every little thing. Capricorn doesn't care about the little things, Cap only cares about the big structural stuff like money. Virgo cares about how to obtain things on a strategic and academic level.

As for Virgo in Neptune, I think that generation was more interested in adding structure to beauty and the arts. Virgo likes to create a manual for everything. I bet that was when the paint by numbers kits were first introduced. That screams Virgo in Neptune! Whatever was floating around during that time period- the 50s and 60s, look at the kind of art and trends that was happening. See the aesthetics. Beauty was all over, except it was all repetitive (Virgo loves repeating everything), mainstream (Virgo caters to mainstream everything) beauty was widely promoted through vast communication modes (tv, movies, etc.), there was tremendous pressure to "fit in" and be like everyone else (again, the mainstream thing), overly neat, prim and proper in appearances- everyone had to look stoic/statuesque, fashion patterns were detailed and symmetry was very important, everyone was ragging and nagging on each other (Virgo loves being critical), hairstyles (all 3 of them at the time) had to be perfectly coiffed, etc.

Last edited:

segurelha

Exactly. Capricorn Neptune types might have ambitious dreams of their own careers and money making, or alternative be about the dissolution of ambition, due to the economic depression, these types have everything to succeed but they enter the workforce at a time of depression and they never can't get the job they want and strive for. These will push some of them later on, to participate and initiate the dramatic revolutions of the 2020s!

tautomer

I am part of this generation as well. I have its effect in a more significant way because I have the saturn/uranus/neptune in capricorn conjunction. With me my saturn is at an exact conjunction with neptune. I most certainly must be able to derive meaning from work. If I can't I can not motivate myself at all and I do absolutely terrible at it. If I can find meaning though, I usually work harder then anyone else.

kimbermoon

remember that Neptune can be highly elusive in it's workings, and pays special attention to more ethereal and psychological concerns: it can be distracting, debilitating, diffusive, often making people prone to delusions and unrealistic expectations. In Capricorn, this energy does not function well, because of it's vagueness and I believe that it's message in this sign is about the dissipation and dissolution of the establishment due to increasing political, economic and social changes now underway ..it is the separation between spirituality and the hard facts of reality. By nature Neptune is in search of compassion, understanding and meaningful connections with others, and yes, by that virtue it seems to represent that individuals must find more creative ways of 'earning their way through the system'...once the system collapses and breaks down, how does one find jobs in big business, corporations or industry?

Re: My baseline feeling is that there needs to be a good why in addition to 'making a good living,' when it comes to work. I get the feeling that when a person has a profound 'why,' they are much more likely to freely release greater amounts of creative energy, and deliver a much higher quality of work' I would totally agree. :smile:

Inline

I am part of this generation as well. I have its effect in a more significant way because I have the saturn/uranus/neptune in capricorn conjunction.
With me my saturn is at an exact conjunction with neptune.

I most certainly must be able to derive meaning from work.
If I can't I can not motivate myself at all and I do absolutely terrible at it. If I can find meaning though, I usually work harder then anyone else.

My daughter has exactly the same conjunction of saturn/uranus/neptune in her 10th house and your comment sounds so much like her too....

She wandered her way thru school doing just enough to pass the courses she didn't like and excelled at the courses she loved.

She has patience and stamina and an unusually acute imagination...

Flapjacks

I'm reviving this thread.

I have Neptune in Cap, early degrees, in the 8th house.

Neptune in Cap (especially conjunct Uranus) reminds me of rhizobium.

Rhizobium are bacteria that fix nitrogen for legumes. To do this, rhizobium enter into the plant's root system and become established there. The plants send out chemical signals to attract rhizobium. This is the thing: Once rhizobium enter the system, they never leave. They lose all autonomy and become factories of nitrogen for the plant. What they get is security. The are protected within the well-fortified roots from the harsh life in the soil, they never run out of food unless the plant dies. They lose their cell walls, completely exposed, and can no longer move but exist in well-organized "nitrogen cell" root nodule that house them until they die. They lose themselves to become part of the system... but why are they so irresistibly attracted to the plant? Do they know what lies ahead?

Neptune in Capricorn can lose themselves in work, I think. Forget hobbies. You do what you love for your job, but then what you love becomes work, and loses meaning unless we deceive ourselves into thinking it's not work. Our parents told us to be whatever we wanted, to turn what we loved into a job. Then the reality sets in that what we love doesn't always pay the bills or isn't fun anymore, and we can't escape our decisions because we're too far into debt, too specialized, too committed. We're left bereft and betrayed by the system, but we don't break it. It is Neptune in Aquarius that really breaks free, learning from out ideals and failures, before coming back into it's home of Pisces.

Last edited:

Birch Dragon

My two cents:
I'm compelled by kimbermoon's (as ever) penetrating take on what Neptune in Capricorn might mean and flapjack's critical worries about this generation (on this site, I think, nobody has done more to poke and prod at the potential challenges and issues that come with this generation than flapjacks). Much more so than the optimistic read that Neptune in Capricorn essentially signifies a generation that is going to bring meaning back to our work lives.
After all, we ALL want meaning in our work lives desperately... No when we don't get it we either wither in a state of alienation (as Marx would put it) or find some way to circumscribe the influence of our jobs in our lives and give more time and space to those things outside of "Job" that do have meaning for us. There's nothing particular to the Neptune in Cap generation about that.

When we are talking about our work lives we're talking about capitalism - the system in which we produce and distribute stuff, and so the system that determines and shapes our work life today. And you can go all the way back to the 19th century grandfathers of modern sociology - Marx, still the greatest critic of capitalism, or Max Weber and his worry about over-rationalization and bureaucracy - to see the powerful critique that capitalism essentially erodes the human spirit and meaning from our work life, and one of the great crises of the Modern Era is finding meaning after science and industry have ripped the veil away and revealed we live in a purposeless universe.
(to be clear... I don't believe the universe is purposeless. I'm noting it's long been understood that take is a part of the modern condition. Though, interestingly... I think Neptune was in Capricorn when these guys were writing. They're born the last Neptune in Sag generation...)

But if the suggestion is that this generation is a heroic generation that will be the first to actually solve that dilemma and really find ways to combine capitalist work and spiritual meaning, I think that's a delusion. With a pretty prominent Neptune in my own chart, I tend to balk at all the talk that Neptune is simply the planet of "delusion," but I read the starting posts on this thread and think to myself "So, the Neptunian delusion, the temptation, going on in this generation is that they are the ones who will defy one of the Great Problems that capitalism has introduced and merge work and true meaning for all, not just the lucky few..."

In fact, I have to admit... Along the lines of flapjacks's own perceptive worries... I think that if we have a generation that are finding deep meaning in their work, I'm worried that sense of "deep meaning" is a just a blindfold that allows them to feel comfortable in an economic system we really shouldn't be that comfortable with. Really what we need right now is serious reform, even revolution, in how we work, produce ins and distribute wealth and goods. Exactly what we don't need is a complacent generation that finds themselves happy with the market because they've found meaning in their work. Good for them, personally, but bad for humanity and the earth as we turn a bound eye to the worst tendencies of capitalism - exploitation, inequality, ravaging the ecology - that tend to run amok when we don't consciously reign them in.
If this is a generation that gets perfectly comfortable with our modern market society by finding deep spiritual meaning in their work, it strikes me that's exactly what humanity does not need right now.

That said, this is the generation I'm teaching in university right now. My sense of them generally is that the Capricorn colors the Neptune, more than the Neptunian tendencies feeding into the things associated with Capricorn. There're deeply worried about their job prospects and how they're going to manipulate the market to acquire the standard of upper middle class life they all imagine themselves having. Everything comes down to "how will this help me get a good job."
Which is a consideration That doesn't reflect their individual personalities - in another time and place I suspect many of them would be much less utilitarian about it all. Instead it reflects the economic conditions we live in today, post 2008 collapse. Which is perhaps a good way to think about the generational planets. No mater how artistic and dreamy any given individual of this generation might be, the wider environment we all find ourselves in demands that they be very aware of the need to secure a good job in a very competitive and increasingly cruel marketplace.

Last edited:

Flapjacks

My two cents:
I'm compelled by kimbermoon's (as ever) penetrating take on what Neptune in Capricorn might mean and flapjack's critical worries about this generation (on this site, I think, nobody has done more to poke and prod at the potential challenges and issues that come with this generation than flapjacks). Much more so than the optimistic read that Neptune in Capricorn essentially signifies a generation that is going to bring meaning back to our work lives.
After all, we ALL want meaning in our work lives desperately... No when we don't get it we either wither in a state of alienation (as Marx would put it) or find some way to circumscribe the influence of our jobs in our lives and give more time and space to those things outside of "Job" that do have meaning for us. There's nothing particular to the Neptune in Cap generation about that.

I was coming at it from a sort of undercurrent, emotional perspective. That descrpition is how it feels more than how we try to behave or what we want, I think.

And, lol, sorry for ranting about this so much guys!

When we are talking about our work lives we're talking about capitalism - the system in which we produce and distribute stuff, and so the system that determines and shapes our work life today. And you can go all the way back to the 19th century grandfathers of modern sociology - Marx, still the greatest critic of capitalism, or Max Weber and his worry about over-rationalization and bureaucracy - to see the powerful critique that capitalism essentially erodes the human spirit and meaning from our work life, and one of the great crises of the Modern Era is finding meaning after science and industry have ripped the veil away and revealed we live in a purposeless universe.
(to be clear... I don't believe the universe is purposeless. I'm noting it's long been understood that take is a part of the modern condition. Though, interestingly... I think Neptune was in Capricorn when these guys were writing. They're born the last Neptune in Sag generation...)

There is a lot of grumblings about capitalism, but what it's really grumbling about is eroded capitalism in conjunction with increasing state power and a different set of ideals than are compatible with capitalism.

We've often been called the "entitlement" generation, which I think comes from that strong Cap influence. We demand material security and ease and comfort to be "given" to us because we believe everyone deserves these things. I do believe this comes from a large portion of us growing up being told that if we want something we should have it. Capitalism says in order to have things, you must work for them, they don't just appear for you.

Working for things isn't all that bad, and of course we're not opposed to working, obviously! Capitalism would be all well and good if we also didn't rely on insurance, standardized testing, credit scores, high interest rates and other social institutions and policies that make failure not an option. Because capitalism also must allow for failure to actually work.

And that is what I see, a lot, is that we're all afraid to fail to a degree that keeps us from growing and learning, and it's something we're slowly overcoming. It's also reflected in economic policies of when Pluto entered Capricorn, where failure of any institution is staunchly opposed, and we'll throw money at failing systems just to avoid the reality that is now crushing down upon us. Those systems were set up for failure, I think, when Neptune transitioned through Cap, and now Pluto is the time of reckoning.

Another thing about this generation is that we're all slower to mature. 24 is the new 18.

But if the suggestion is that this generation is a heroic generation that will be the first to actually solve that dilemma and really find ways to combine capitalist work and spiritual meaning, I think that's a delusion. With a pretty prominent Neptune in my own chart, I tend to balk at all the talk that Neptune is simply the planet of "delusion," but I read the starting posts on this thread and think to myself "So, the Neptunian delusion, the temptation, going on in this generation is that they are the ones who will defy one of the Great Problems that capitalism has introduced and merge work and true meaning for all, not just the lucky few..."

In fact, I have to admit... Along the lines of flapjacks's own perceptive worries... I think that if we have a generation that are finding deep meaning in their work, I'm worried that sense of "deep meaning" is a just a blindfold that allows them to feel comfortable in an economic system we really shouldn't be that comfortable with. Really what we need right now is serious reform, even revolution, in how we work, produce ins and distribute wealth and goods. Exactly what we don't need is a complacent generation that finds themselves happy with the market because they've found meaning in their work. Good for them, personally, but bad for humanity and the earth as we turn a bound eye to the worst tendencies of capitalism - exploitation, inequality, ravaging the ecology - that tend to run amok when we don't consciously reign them in.
If this is a generation that gets perfectly comfortable with our modern market society by finding deep spiritual meaning in their work, it strikes me that's exactly what humanity does not need right now.

That's an interesting spin! Although, you could say that a drive to find meaning encourages the changes.

That said, this is the generation I'm teaching in university right now. My sense of them generally is that the Capricorn colors the Neptune, more than the Neptunian tendencies feeding into the things associated with Capricorn. There're deeply worried about their job prospects and how they're going to manipulate the market to acquire the standard of upper middle class life they all imagine themselves having. Everything comes down to "how will this help me get a good job."
Which is a consideration That doesn't reflect their individual personalities - in another time and place I suspect many of them would be much less utilitarian about it all. Instead it reflects the economic conditions we live in today, post 2008 collapse. Which is perhaps a good way to think about the generational planets. No mater how artistic and dreamy any given individual of this generation might be, the wider environment we all find ourselves in demands that they be very aware of the need to secure a good job in a very competitive and increasingly cruel marketplace.

When I was at university, a lot of the incoming freshman (so age 18 - 21 now, when Uranus also joined Neptune) were causing my department to completely change their rules for how students can qualify to get into programs because they needed so much remedial education. One of my professors had to hold special classes to teach college students how to use fractions. She also said, not in the years she's been teaching has she met a group of kids that openly don't want to participate in their classes. She was stymied because this was college... they paid a lot of money to be there (or someone did) and they were already in programs for their majors. But she had more than one student openly tell her they were not going to do the reading assignments, and most of her classes were failing and she had to do serious curving just to get half the class to pass. Wonder where all that is coming from...

In my head I hear some astrologer's voice saying "You have Uranus in the 2nd house. Of course you're going to think this..."

I think it... but I have Uranus square Jupiter. :biggrin:

Flapjacks

Here's some more telling info to me about the Cap Neptune/Uranus and for some time Saturn and what they're going through. If we assume 18 - 21 age group, this study would be on people mostly born in 1989 - 1991.

Only 51.9 percent of students reported that their emotional health was in the "highest 10 percent" or "above average," a drop of 3.4 percentage points from 2009 and a significant decline from the 63.6 percent who placed themselves in those categories when self-ratings of emotional health were first measured in 1985.

While students' perceived emotional health took a downturn, their drive to achieve and their academic abilities are trending upward. More students than ever before (71.2 percent) rated their academic abilities as "above average" or in the "highest 10 percent," and 75.8 percent rated their drive to achieve in the same terms.

Often considered positive traits, high levels of drive to achieve and academic ability could also contribute to students' feelings of stress, said John H. Pryor, lead author of the report and director of CIRP.

The survey also revealed that an increasing number of students are focused on the value that a college degree confers. In fact, more students than ever before (72.7 percent) indicated that "the chief benefit of college is that it increases one's earning power." This belief is in line with policymakers' efforts to advocate for pubic investment in higher education as a means to stimulate the economy.

This year, in a new question on the survey, more than three-quarters of entering first-year students expressed support for the legal right for gays and lesbians to adopt children, with 48.0 percent agreeing strongly and 28.5 percent agreeing somewhat.

Economic concerns also seem to have influenced students' political views. An overwhelming 64.0 percent of students agreed that wealthy people should pay more taxes than they do now. This figure has been on the rise since 2002, when it was at 50.1 percent.

http://heri.ucla.edu/pr-display.php?prQry=55

Unfortunately, we don't get this much investigation into the "working world" trends...

Last edited: