L4 or L10 which on is the ruler of the mother?

knowledge

I have a chart, querent questioning about her mother. which is the exact ruler of mother? The L4 or the L10?

blackbery

According to traditional astrology, H4 Cancer rules the mother, H10 Capricorn rules the father.

I find them interchangeable. A single mother could be represented by H10 for instance. Additionally, H4 rules ancestors, the ROOTS of the family so both the mother & father could be applicable.

I've never found a perfect answer to this.:andy::andy::andy:

I have a chart, querent questioning about her mother. which is the exact ruler of mother? The L4 or the L10?

tikana

H4 is the father
H10 is a mother

You can look up on skyscript.co.uk. Deb Houlding explains it why it is like that on her site. or ping her on fb (she lurks there)

waybread

According to traditional western astrology, the 4th house is the father. The modern connection with one's home is because in past centuries property passed from father to son through the paternal line.

Yes, it was sexist, but then the mother is the 7th house from the 4th, or the wife (7th) of the father (4th) or radix 10th house.

Modern astrologers often conflate signs and houses, such that they equate the 4th sign to the 4th house. With Cancer ruled by the moon, the 4th began to seem more like Mom than Dad. Similarly, with the 10th sign Capricorn ruled by Saturn, the 10th began to seem more like Dad.

But this isn't the traditional system.

waybread

In reading a natal chart, I would definitely say that the IC/MC (4th/10th) axis depends upon the nature of the parents. I think my natal MC better matches with my dad; and my IC, with my mother.

Horary goes by very different rules than natal chart reading. We seldom know anything about the personalities of the parents unless the querent provides additional information.

I do a simplified form of traditional horary astrology, where Tikana's answer is correct.

I can't speak for people who do modern horary.

waybread

Hi passiflora--

I haven't seen horary parental questions come up often, but they do come up occasionally.

There are problems because dad/step dad, mom/step mom would have the same significators. (Ditto with spouse/ex spouse.)

We just have to hope that the querents find out how their question plays out or concludes, and then they get back to us on what happened.

BTW-- I *just love* your signature quote at the end of your post. I think it's so true about the divisive angry politics in the USA, which (as you know) plays out on the chat threads of this forum.

waybread

Waybread, agreed. Have you tried skyscript? It could be fun to use a "practice horary" forum for feedback from the more astrologically inclined than the average querent, but I don't want to join another forum.

About the quote -- thanks! I like yours too. My feeling is that for attention, media and media personalities make unforgivable sins out of things we'd maybe compassionately tuck under the rug, given the chance in person. Hate as anodyne and for ratings.

Hi passiflora-- I am a member of the Skyscript forum but it doesn't get much traffic these days.

We could certainly have horary threads on this forum that are more discussion or learning-oriented than simply responding to "read my chart" types of questions.