Sun conjunction, what gives?

I have a 3 degree mercury sun conjunction and all the free sites and software such as Solarfire and AstroGold say this is one of my most positive and powerful conjunction. Yet, I'm finding some instances were some astrologers are saying this is one of the worst aspects. What gives?

SunnyTerra

I have a 3 degree mercury sun conjunction and all the free sites and software such as Solarfire and AstroGold say this is one of my most positive and powerful conjunction. Yet, I'm finding some instances were some astrologers are saying this is one of the worst aspects. What gives?

I have this also and have heard the same thing, plus my Mercury is combustible.

Harmelia

Many people have a Sun-Mercury conjunction. It is probably the most common conjunction because Mercury is never very far from the Sun. It has more opportunity to conjunct the Sun. And yes, astrologers have different theories about it and say different things, which can be confusing.

I truly believe that it doesn't matter what anyone says about your planets. You have the perfect planetary placements for you. How you experience Mercury conjunct the Sun is the important thing. If you experience it as positive, then yea! If you feel it causes you problems, then it is pushing you to grow. It becomes a life lesson you need to have. As always, it's best to read the whole chart to get the whole picture of how it is functioning in your chart and in your life. To just look at the one conjunction is near meaningless.

If you post your birth data, and ask, how is my Sun-Mercury conjunction functioning in my chart? Then, you might get some interesting answers!

Harmelia

What we're talking about is very controversial. They are very old terms - like from 16th-17th centuries - and I don't think many modern astrologers bother with this concept. I don't. I believe it was used in Horary Decumbitures in regard to health and healing William Lily wrote about it).

I also think that the astrologers back then had a whole different way of looking at astrology. If one of them were here explaining it to us, from their view, maybe it'd make some sense. Mercury in health astrology could mean many things - trouble with nerves, would be one.

They didn't keep birth time records back then, so they had to use horary. We have birth charts now and so we have a different system to use. In modern health astrology, Mercury could point the finger at the nervous system still, but it is so much more complicated than that (in my opinion).

Do any of you have a difficult time thinking or processing information or doing any of Mercury functions with your Sun-Mercury conjunction? If the answer is no - don't worry about it. I have Mercury conjunct Mars which is also suppose to be bad for Mercury. I suppose it might, in the sense that often I want to express something in a short time - get it all out at once - and I do have that feeling. But, it is tempered by other planets. I can sit and write and take my time, even if I have the sense of hurry that Mars brings. Mars also gives me passion. So, you see - it's how you use your conjunctions that matters.

From an internet astrology glossary:

- A planet is combust when it is in conjunction with the Sun and therefore hidden from sight by the light of the Sun. Traditionally this is a serious debility and implies that the planet is weakened or restricted in power. However, if the planet is within 17 minutes of the Sun, it is termed Cazimi - in the heart of the Sun - and considered strengthened by the union.

In his Introduction, William Lilly stated that the combust planet should be in the same sign as the Sun and within 8° 30' - beyond this distance, but within 17 ° of the Sun, the planet is said to be under the Sun's beams. This condition is debilitating, but not as severe as combustion.

Compubst, Cazmini, and under the Suns Beams were established long ago to use in Horary. Lilly - was a health astrologer and wrote of this:

"The significator of the Querent combust, shows him or her in great fear, and overpowered by some great person". (CA., p.113)

However, later, in his horary volume, (p.300): he also writes:

A Planet within 12 degrees of the Sun, is said to be under his Beames, and then hath not fortitude, let it be in what Signe it will; when a Planet is within 16 minutes of the Sun, he is said to be in Cazimi, or heat of the Sun, and then it's an addition of fortune, and he is wonderous strong.

That aphorism was no doubt translated from the work of an older author, but it appears to acknowledge the controversy regarding whether a planet can be combust when in a different sign to the Sun.

Lin

I think the philosophy about this is that Merc conj the Sun can overwhelm the Merc...be taken over by the Sun and makes the Merc vulnerable to impulse and unpredictability.
And Merc -Sun Cazimi theoretically gives the Merc more power.

However: if this conjunction is negatively aspected by the outer planets, this can really be a difficult situation. Not to mention unpredictable. It's probably at it's most difficult in fixed signs.

LIN

SunnyTerra

I think the philosophy about this is that Merc conj the Sun can overwhelm the Merc...be taken over by the Sun and makes the Merc vulnerable to impulse and unpredictability.
And Merc -Sun Cazimi theoretically gives the Merc more power.

However: if this conjunction is negatively aspected by the outer planets, this can really be a difficult situation. Not to mention unpredictable. It's probably at it's most difficult in fixed signs.

LIN

Why is it most difficult in fixed signs?

Lin

Fixed signs are not easily "moved." Cardinal signs often have no problem "beginning again" and mutable signs have "built in changes" built into their psyche.

Mercury rules "ideas" and fixed ideas can be very solidly stuck.

HOwever, other planetary positions can modify such as air signs being represented well in the chart; and happy transits - can move even the most fixed.

However, if Neptune aspects that close conjunction, either combust or cazimi, that can bring on a whole new set of issues.

Which is why I am not a fan of speculative astrology as in this thread.

LIN