Help me with Marriage chart pretty please?

Devoted

I have been researching this online and can find almost no info, looked up books on the subject and found nothing. Help!

What I am trying to do is interpret my marriage chart. The closest thing I have found online is some elective marriage chart info, but of course we are already married! Lol. I am surprised this isn't a bigger field, as it covers a different ground than synastry, the marriage being it's own entity . . .

Anyway . . . so I am a beginning student of astrology and I have a bunch of questions, if anyone wanted to take the time to help me out some . . .

I was married in Bedford, NH, at 11:30 am on Oct. 25th 2003. We are coming up on our fifth anniversary. We are very happy and committed and in-love but there has definitely been stress. We got married young (20) and started a family immediately (now pregnant with our third and last!) and money is tight, dh often must work long hours and he's still in school and so on. It was pointed out to me that our True Node is in the fifth house, which makes sense to me. Saturn is in our seventh house, which I THINK is a good thing, right? Indicates a committed, traditional marriage, no?

So there's some background, I had other questions, too ~

I noticed that we have a sun-moon-mercury conjunction (in Scorpio in the 10th house) and I don't know what the implication of that is, in regards to the context of a marriage chart, but it seems important. ?

Also Pluto, almost on the ASC, but in the 12th house kinda worries me . . . maybe . . . should it?

What planet is the ruler for our marriage? Jupiter? Or Pluto? I'm a little confused about the whole ruler-thing. :p

Then, Neptune seems to be poorly aspected but again, what is the implication of this in a marriage chart?

Is there anything else specifically I should be looking for in a marriage chart? Are their any books on this particular subject (interpreting marriage charts?)

Thank you so much to anyone who takes the time to help me out here! :D

I have a chart picture available but can't post it yet . . .

Last edited by a moderator:

Devoted

here si the data, don't know if it helps or not . . .

October 25th 2003 approx. 11:30 am, Bedford, NH

ASC Sagittarius 21:48

Sun Scorpio 1:48 in H10
Moon Scorpio 3:21 in H10
Mercury Scorpio 1:57 in H10
Venus Scorpio 19:43 in H11
Mars Pisces 5:04 in H2
Jupiter in Virgo 12:09 in H9
Saturn Cancer 13:14 in H7 Stationary/R
Uranus Aquarius 28:58 in H2 Retro
Neptune Aquarius 10:24 in H2 Stationary/D
Pluto Sagittarius 18:06 in H12
True Node in Taurus 20:28 in H5 Retro

aquarius7000

Hello Devoted,

There is no such thing as a 'marriage chart' in Astrology as such, as the title of your thread suggests. Probably what you mean though is either a 'synastry' chart (for compatibility analysis) or a 'composite' chart (studying the relationship as an individual identity).

I have a chart picture available but can't post it yet . . .
You should be able to post a chart after your third post. Here are some guidelines which might be of some help. Incidentally, I would also like to make you aware that we stress on exchange of astrological information on this forum, and for the querent to give others a brief astrological lead as regards their question - no matter how elementary their skills - by interpreting their chart on their own first.

Also, I shall move your thread to the 'Relational Astrology' forum as that is the real topic here.

:)aquarius7000

Devoted

aquarius7000 said:
Hello Devoted,

There is no such thing as a 'marriage chart' in Astrology as such, as the title of your thread suggests. Probably what you mean though is either a 'synastry' chart (for compatibility analysis) or a 'composite' chart (studying the relationship as an individual identity).

This is not correct, it is an event chart like Gesso said.

aquarius7000 said:
You should be able to post a chart after your third post.

Yes, I know, thank you. I started experiencing preterm labor about an hour or so ago and so was not able to proceed with posting the image I have. :)

I'm feeling better now.

aquarius700 said:
Incidentally, I would also like to make you aware that we stress on exchange of astrological information on this forum, and for the querent to give others a brief astrological lead as regards their question - no matter how elementary their skills - by interpreting their chart on their own first.

I am aware, I have been reading the forum, including the relevant sticky. I think my post is in harmony with that principle of exchange and mutual growth.

aquarius7000 said:
Also, I shall move your thread to the 'Relational Astrology' forum as that is the real topic here.

I wouldn't, because it's not a chart which compares two different natal times. It's the chart examining a SINGLE point in time for the conception of the event of my husband's and my marriage relationship.

Devoted

Wow, Gesso I just saw that we both have that Pluto on the ASC and Sag Rising in our wedding charts. Ours was a very religious wedding ceremony too! That's so interesting, still don't know exactly what the sigificance of the Pluto means . . . I have been doing some reseacrh though and it seems to be an extremely powerful energy for better or worse . . .

I am very tired now so I will return to this tomorrow. Thanks again!

BobZemco

Devoted said:
This is not correct, it is an event chart like Gesso said.

For a marriage? That's an interesting concept. Astrologically, I don't see why you couldn't do one (I've never done or seen one).

I do event charts for air disasters (take-off time not crash time). I know others have done event charts for the space shuttles, and through progressions/transits, um, some obvious problems have cropped up.

Okay, I had just had to look at one of mine. I would say that Solar Arc Uranus coming to the Ascendant is not good and leave it at that.

Devoted

gesso said:
thats scary ...when are you due? (was it just those braxton hix?) I only went through pregnancy/childbirth once...never again! lol Too much stress on this panicky brain of mine :p

I'm due in February so definitely not ready to go yet! I'm supposed to take it easy today, which stinks because dh and I had to cancel a daytrip we had planned . . . but on the plus side we are now saving money on gas (lol!) and we will do something fun at home instead. *shrug*

gesso said:
Any chance on uploading a chart with transits? :eek:
There are some similarities between our charts i notice (pluto 12th..saturn 7th..) I havent actually met many people around here that marry in the fall like we did ....we basically had a shotgun wedding, and i love autumn....:p

I love autumn, too, especially in New England! I haven't worked with transits yet-- read about them a bit, but never worked with them myself. I wanted to get into that next, but I wanted to understand the basic chart first. I still have to figure how to DO a transit chart. :p

Devoted

BobZemco said:
For a marriage? That's an interesting concept. Astrologically, I don't see why you couldn't do one (I've never done or seen one).

I got the idea from a book on synastry by I want to say Robert Hand? I can't remember now because it was 6 years ago that I read it. Anyway, he was refering to electional astrology and pointing out that choosing the day (and time!) of the marriage was of crucial importance. At the time I was plannign my marriage, however, it felt more important to follow my intuition in choosing a date (I am a Pisces, lol!) I remember I couldn't help looking at the moon phases though, haha, and I chose the day of the new moon. ;) But if choosing the time of the wedding is important, then the chart must bear significance afte the fact, how could it not?

BobZemco said:
I do event charts for air disasters (take-off time not crash time). I know others have done event charts for the space shuttles, and through progressions/transits, um, some obvious problems have cropped up.

Okay, I had just had to look at one of mine. I would say that Solar Arc Uranus coming to the Ascendant is not good and leave it at that.

Okay, I had never heard of Solar Arcs before! Thank you for the tip. I am looking it up online real quick, and so far this is what I found on one http://www.donmc.com/Comparing%20Transits%20and%20Solar%20Arcs%20II.htm:

A Transit of Uranus to the Ascendant would signal a freedom to be oneself, perhaps in a radical departure from how we've seen or presented ourselves previously. We give ourselves permission to be ourselves. As discussed above, we'd likely see multiple hits or occurrences of this transit because of the retrograde phenomenon.
A Solar Arc of Uranus to the Ascendant would represent similar energies, but would be a full year, uninterrupted, in its influence.

That doesn't seem too bad, but I'm still looking . . . I'm still trying to figure out exactly what a solar arc is! ;)

Devoted

OH! I found this great explanation of Solar Arcs here:

To put it simply, a Solar Arc is the angular distance between the natal Sun and the secondary progressed Sun. The secondary progressed Sun is simply taking the position of the Sun at birth and symbolically counting forward one day in the ephemeris for each year of life, then taking the new position of the Sun for the desired year as the progressed Sun.

In Solar Arc Directions, the Sun is first progressed as in a secondary progression, then the position of the natal Sun is subtracted from it. This number or arc is then added to all of the bodies and sensitive points of the natal chart, and the arced placements are compared to the natal placements and exact aspects are noted.

With Solar Arc Directions, the movement of all the planets and points is approximately 1 degree per year, with slight variations depending on the season of the year in which the subject is born. This is what makes them so easy to use.

If you want to see where a particular point is arcing to in your natal chart, you can just take your age, add that number of degrees to the natal placement, and that is where, approximately, the point has arced to. For example, if you have Mars at 0 degrees Aries in your natal chart at age 25, Mars would be, by Solar Arc Direction, at 25 degrees Aries.

Using this method, you can also look at a chart quickly and see what years were important in a client's life. To do this, simply look for planets in the 12th, 3rd, 6th, and 9th houses, count how many degrees those planets are from the next angle, and that is an important age.

Devoted

Sorry I'm hogging my own thread, I like talking through things I'm learning about. :p

So the Solar Arcs was making me a little cross-eyed so I switched over to somethign easy for the moment. I was looking at which of our marriage planets are in detriment. I got, Venus, Jupiter, and Saturn. :(

Venus: Detriment in Scorpio

Venus in Scorpio worries about finding some much-needed stability in the emotional turmoil, so it pursues the deepest, most primal emotional connections it can find. Venus in Scorpio wants to cut through the illusions and connect at a Soul level, because when we connect on this deep of a level, we experience peace and stability.

Jupiter: Detriment in Virgo

Jupiter in Virgo is the planet of faith in the sign that demands proof. In Virgo, Jupiter begins to question its faith in the unseen and the unknown, looking for proof that the Universal forces are indeed manifesting in even the smallest details of life.

Saturn: Detriment in Cancer

Saturn in Cancer worries that it’s not expressing emotions correctly, or responsibly. It tries very hard, because Saturn always tries hard, but Saturn in Cancer is in completely unfamiliar territory. Try as it might, Saturn just isn’t terribly warm.

BobZemco

Devoted said:
I got the idea from a book on synastry by I want to say Robert Hand?

Probably.

The problem with event and natal charts (including electional and horary charts) is their use is limited.

Some astrologers spend their time reading natal charts to explain the strengths and weakenesses of others so those people have an edge up on life.

Other people dabble in reading natal charts so they can lay blame for all their problems on everyone and anything except themselves.

The rest of us are looking to see what lies in the future so we have an advantage, and that requires the use of other techniques.

You should be able to progress/direct an event chart like marriage chart to see everything from moving to buying a new house, promotions, demotions, lay-offs terminations, inheritances, IRS tax problems, violence, crime, punishment, living with parents, having parents move in, child-birth, adoption, step-children, infidelity, separation, reconciliation, death and divorce.

A Transit of Uranus to the Ascendant would signal a freedom to be oneself, perhaps in a radical departure from how we've seen or presented ourselves previously. We give ourselves permission to be ourselves.

That is a cookie-cutter pop-internet psycho-babble astrawlogee sound-bite. It's a little more complicated than that, but Uranus dignified in Aquarius is more about casting off the shackles that restrict and having the freedom of illusion, instead of the illusion of freedom.

Devoted

Sorry, didn't mean to disappear, just life happens. :p Studying this marriage chart will be a long-term project for me-- and an ongoing learning process-- as I fit it into my down time.

BobZemco said:
The problem with event and natal charts (including electional and horary charts) is their use is limited.

Any charts use is limited. I would say that the marriage chart's use is not so much limited, as highly specific. But specific, to my mind, is good.

BobZemco said:
You should be able to progress/direct an event chart like marriage chart to see everything from moving to buying a new house, promotions, demotions, lay-offs terminations, inheritances, IRS tax problems, violence, crime, punishment, living with parents, having parents move in, child-birth, adoption, step-children, infidelity, separation, reconciliation, death and divorce.

Bingo. This is the kind of thing I am interested in. If I was mainly interested in my relationship with my husband or looking to better understand how we relate/could communicate better/ or whatever, I would look to synastry between our natal charts. That's not my focus here. My focus here is looking specifically to what may energies are at play and may lay ahead in our life together as a married couple and as a family unit. (Since the wedding is also our recognized conception as a new family unit.)

Thank you for your insights.

If anyone could point me to some good books on learning more about event astrology (specifically any that might be helpful in deciphering a marriage chart specifically) or, also, to good books that teach about doing transits, that would be great. I am still really trying to figure this stuff out on a beginner level. Thank you!

Last edited:
Marriage charts, event charts to resonate like natal chart to Solar returns, progressions and Solar arcs and transits.....

I have quite bit info but dont know author so will PM you. Hope it helps.
Dont forget to look at composite chart and transits to composite either....

Devoted

Again, I was gone a long time, but that was because I had the baby and then got pretty sick. I am feeling better now. :)

astrologer50 said:
Marriage charts, event charts to resonate like natal chart to Solar returns, progressions and Solar arcs and transits.....

I have quite bit info but dont know author so will PM you. Hope it helps.
Dont forget to look at composite chart and transits to composite either....

Thank you for that info, it was very helpful.

Solar arcs are entirely beyond me right now, I gave up on that. I also don't know how to do a composite chart or transits. :eek:

But I still was able to understand a lot from the chart. I will make the next post a summary of what I have figured out so far.

Devoted

Okay, so here goes. Please, if you feel like it, tell me what I have done wrong, since I am still learning and am likely to make some mistakes.

This might be a little out of order.

First off, our Uranus is in Aquarius 2nd House -- reflects that part of the reason for the timing of our wedding was my need for DH‘s financial support. :eek:

Uranus being the "divorce planet", it worried me that it was Aquarius, however, it is well-aspected-- however, it is also retrograde and on the anaretic degree (I think.) Thoughts on Uranus?

The first house represents the husband and what he brings into the marriage (Sagittarius-- adventure, honesty, lifelong learning/college education, religion) and the seventh house represents the wife and what she brings into the marriage (Gemini-- charm, good communicator, teacher, multitasking). Our planets-- Brian is represented by Jupiter (Virgo 9th), ruler of the first house. I am represented by Mercury (Scorpio 10th). (Did I get that right? :lol)

Mercury is very well-aspected-- in conjunction with the Sun and the Moon and trine Mars and Uranus. No negative aspects. So does that mean that this marriage is just good for me?

Jupiter is sextile Saturn and quincunx Neptune. Sextile saturn-- means it's good for him as far as his position in society? Quincunx neptune-- learning/challenging hopes/dreams/down time? Hmmm. Not sure here.

The husband's financial support is shown by the second house of the chart (Capricorn-- hard worker, traditional structures) and the eighth house the WIFE'S contribution (Cancer-- mother, nurturer, domestic Goddess, frugal, both are careful with money). Saturn retrograde in Cancer means my contribution to the family as a mother/homemaker will be fraught with hardship and possibly illness.

Communications-- 3rd and 9th houses of the chart-- Virgo and Pisces-- he is sensible and critical, can be cold; she is very sensitive, loving, picks up on his energy-- she can be overly sensitive or wishy-washy in her wording, to a fault-- both are forgiving.

Religious philosophy of the family is shown by the ninth house (Virgo-- strict, pure, self-control, serving others, hard work, giving to charity-- can be critical or cold-- this fitting since we are Mormon.) The third shows the personal philosophy of the wife (Pisces-- universal love and compassion, selflessness, humility and tolerance, in touch with spiritual realms and more esoteric arts-- can lack strength, sense, or conviction).

10th house-- Libra-- a large, beautiful and pleasing wedding-- also indicates the creation of a family in which beauty, peace, balance, equality, justice, and the law are important. (Yes, no?)

The fourth house describes any hidden problems associated with the children resulting from the union, being the twelfth from the fifth 4th house in Aries would indicate possibly immature, ADD, patience problems, self-centered, thoughtless/impulsive, attracted to speed, aggressive or too competitive. The fourth is the tenth from the seventh, consequently tells of the wife's public image created by the marriage-- I may be seen as young/immature, inexperienced, confident, possibly self-centered/impatient/competitive.

The twelfth house (Sagittarius) gives light to the hidden thoughts, secrets and potential confinements of the HUSBAND (college? religion??) and the sixth house describes the health and work of the husband (Gemini-- no idea how to interpret that).

Reverse for wife-- (six house describes hidden thoughts, secrets and potential confinements of the wife (Gemini) and the twelfth house describes the health and WORK of the wife (Sagittarius).

Sun in the chart shows the ego of the marriage, depending upon the sign and house of its location. A wedding locating the Sun in the tenth house, the family will be prominent in some area. (Scorpio, 10th house-- power-seeking, looking to build a legacy, within traditional structures of society-- points to becoming influential/important people in some way in society. Politics or big business come to mind.)

Retrogrades- Saturn, Uranus and the True Node were retrograde-- well, Saturn was retrograde/direct, whatever that means. :p Uranus rules divorce (our Uranus is in Aquarius!-- on the cusp, in house 2-- well-aspected with trines to the Sun, moon, and mercury). Again, I don't know how to interpret this, but the trines give me a sense of peace about this-- I think!

The fifth house is the first child, (Our son G-- the True Node in Taurus is retrograde in this house and he did/does have health problems-- colic, allergies, and a developmental disorder) the seventh house is the second child ("Rebekah"-- Saturn was retrograde in this house, in the critical degree 13-- and we had a late miscarriage) and the third child is the ninth house (our second son T-- Jupiter (direct) is in this house, in Virgo-- good fortune-- he was born happy and healthy, my easiest baby). 11th house, Scorpio-- our third child, a daughter-- Venus, direct-- beautiful, charming, feminine. However, this Venus is on the malefic fixed star Serpentis-- this scares me!

And of course, Venus rules the love and romance of the relationship-- so Serpentis would affect that-- the accursed degree bringing sorrow. Things are not as they seem. (in house 11). I wish I knew more about Serpentis but all I could deduce is that it is "evil" and brings bad, horrible things. :rolleyes: Oh, and it should absolutely be avoided in marriage charts. Oops! Seriously, could something like this fit with the death of one of the partners? That is something that scares me. :(

Okay, so the anaretic degree of any sign is said to be the degree of tears. Does 28:58 count as the anaretic degree? We have Uranus on the anaretic degree (well, 28:58) and also on that degree are the 2nd and 8th houses. What does this mean?

Ascendant (Sagittarius) conjunct Pluto. This union acts as an agent of change, evolution, and personal transformation in its environment. This aspect is supposedly potentially destructive, but also with potential for great success in life-- wealth and/or spiritual transformation. Life together is filled with drastic endings and sudden new beginnings. Your marriage puts each of you under a constant pressure to surrender and be reborn as something better. If this process is blocked or avoided, tremendous pressure is built up within you that must be released at all cost.

Married on a New Moon (within a few hours-- new moon was at 8:50 that morning.) This is good-- new pursuits and projects begun on the new moon tend to go well.

Moon is in the Via Combusta (15° Libra - 15° Scorpio, except for the safe degrees of 22-24° Libra-- ours is at 3 Scorpio) this is said to bring misfortune and illness. Well we have certainly been quite ill, me and firstborn especially. I became ill within days of marrying (morning sickness ;)) and it has been one thing after another for me since then. :( All of our children were born with allergies and a weak detox system and other health issues. Sigh. I am finally starting to figure out how to deal with all of it, though, to the point that we are all feeling much healthier and happier. (Knock on wood!!!)

Any thoughts on any of that? :)

fensi88

As I said in one of post in these section, if we want marriage to last than we must stick to these rules regarding wedding chart:

1)fixed ASC
2)Moon must not be in SCo
3)Ve nad Ma must be in easy applaying aspect
4)Su or Moon must not have applaying aspect with Ur
5)Ve must be direct
6)Sa, Ma, Ur, Pl must not be in angular house
7)ruler of ASC and ruler of DSC must be in easy applaying aspect
8)Ruler of ASC must not be in conjunction with Sa

In your chart we have:

1)no
2)no, problem is that Moon is also combust
3)no
4)Boot Moon and Su have but after so long years 25 or 27 years!
5)yes
6)problem with Sa
7)yes
8)yes

Main problem here is that Moon, your cosignificator is combust, while his ruler Me is cazimi. So, while you are powerless, he is king. Good thing that you have POF right on ASC.

Devoted

Hey guys, 12 years later I'm here to update.

That marriage ended in domestic violence and I fled with the kids to a women's shelter in 2012. My ex-husband attended parenting classes and therapy and he and I now share custody of our 3 kids. I remarried in 2015 and chose the wedding date and time much more carefully.

So now when I look at a marriage chart, as a very experienced astrologer, I always look at the chart ruler first. Aspects to the chart ruler will describe the marriage, it's basic quality and longevity. I also marked the exact minute I met my now-husband, the first meeting event chart. It is EXTREMELY interesting.