Vedic vs. Western

tammyt

Hi. I am really confused. I don't understand what's the difference between Vedic and Western astrology.

Last edited:

Moog

Hi. I am really confused. I don't understand what's the difference between Vedic and Western astrology.
In Vedic, my Sun & Moon are different. North Node is located in a different house. Uranus, Neptune and Pluto doesn't even show in the chart.
Chiron, Part of Fortune or Juno is not there as well.

Thank you :)

Well you've listed some of the differences.

One major difference is that most followers of the Indian tradition construct charts with the sidereal zodiac, rather than the tropical zodiac.

It is also seems true that most jyotishis do not use the outer planets, though some do.

Which one is more accurate? Vedic or Western?

The answer depends on who you address the question to.

I find the Indian system is giving me excellent results. But maybe I was just reading all the wrong authors when I was studying modern western materials?

The only way to know which is better is to become utterly proficient in both (though there are a multitude of variant 'strains' that tend to get lumped under the broad umbrellas of 'Western' and 'Vedic'), and compare.

Moog

Thanks for you response. I have one more question. Do you know any website like astro.com where I could get accurate Vedic chart?
because I tried several websites and all of them give me different degrees or ascendants.
which one can I trust?

Your Tropical chart says mid scorpio, so your Vedic chart should give a Libra rising. Check that you've used the correct time.

Slight variations in degree could be due to different ayanamshas in use.

For the majority of what I do, I don't worry about the exact degree much.

Unless you know how to read the navamsa chart, I wouldn't worry about it, and simply cast a sidereal chart through astro.com

The software Jaganattha Hora is free to download and very good.

Why do you want a Vedic chart? If it's for someone here to read, Vedic astrologers prefer raw data over charts.

Moog

Omg yes! that's exactly what I get. Libra rising. But I relate to Scorpio more and it doesn't make sense, like what am I?
I want a Vedic chart because I've been watching the videos of this guy on youtube (KRSchannel) and he has very good explanations that is easy to understand and accurate at the same time. but he pracitces Vedic astrology so I thought I would need to have my Vedic chart done.

Yes, I've watched his videos too. There's some good stuff in there.

I highly recommend Barbara Pijan's Omg%20yes%21%20that%27s%20exactly%20what%20I%20get.%20Libra%20rising.%20But%20I%20relate%20to%20Scorpio%20more%20and%20it%20doesn%27t%20make%20sense,%20like%20what%20am%20I?%20I%20want%20a%20Vedic%20chart%20because%20I%27ve%20been%20watching%20the%20videos%20of%20this%20guy%20on%20youtube%20%28KRSchannel%29%20and%20he%20has%20very%20good%20explanations%20that%20is%20easy%20to%20understand%20and%20accurate%20at%20the%20same%20time.%20but%20he%20pracitces%20Vedic%20astrology%20so%20I%20thought%20I%20would%20need%20to%20have%20my%20Vedic%20chart%20done.[/QUOTE]%20%20Yes,%20I%27ve%20watched%20his%20videos%20too.%20There%27s%20some%20good%20stuff%20in%20there.%20%20I%20highly%20reccomend%20Barbara%20Pijan%27s%20site%20to%20you."]site to you.

In what ways do you relate to Scorpio?

Bina

tammy,

from what i understand a vedic chart is looked at in a different way than a western chart, there is more emphasis on the strength of the planets and their relationship to each other.. looking at your vedic chart and then applying western interpretations of Asc, Sun and Moon signs to it may not make sense. Let someone with knowledge about the vedic system have a look, this may give you some ideas how to understand it. :smile:

Last edited:

Moog

Scorpio rising - Emotional, very intuitive, verrry passionate, obsessive, secretive, quiet, stubborn, aggressive (I hate that about myself), when people first meet me they have a very strong reaction and I don't do anything irritating. I try to be as nice as I can. Like if i walk into a room wearing sweats and hair undone and you know looking all normal, I get this attention from people. They just stare at me. I even have very thick eyebrows that scorpio risings tend to have. and I am not that social even though deep down inside I really want to be like that. Love of occult and anything that is mysterious.

We have to get beyond those general descriptions. We have to look at more specifics. We cannot say that all Libra rising people are the same. We have to look at what function every planet is fulfilling.

For example, looking sidereally, we'd find Venus in the 6th which I think of as the house of conflicts, to put it very simply. Which is an opposite thing to how people think about the Libra stereotype (they are so balanced and harmonious and love people etc.)

Sidereally, Saturn seems to be in the 5th, which has an impact on the social activity represented by the 5th, 11th and the 7th. I've noticed that people with Saturn 5 have problems in all those areas, especially during a Saturn dasha.

Moon in Cancer in the 10th, aspect from Rahu = highly emotional

I wasn't really interested in such things as the occult until my Rahu dasha kicked off. I really am a Scorpio rising, both tropically and sidereally. :biggrin:

Hope that helps somewhat.

Moog

You're effectively asking us to do a birth time rectification.

Birth time rectification requires a lot of skill, a lot of time, and a lot of information about the person who belongs to the chart.

It is not something that can be done casually over an internet forum by people who have only a few lines of information about you to go on.

Rajarshi

okay well I am just going to look at both Vedic and Western and then compare and see which one fits me better. Another thing is that there are few Vedic birth chart calculators and all of them give me different results. one of them is astro.com

http://www.mykundali.com/
http://www.galacticcenter.org/wrapper/90.html
http://www.prokerala.com/astrology/birth-chart/

which one is the most accurate?

You may compare astro.com & mykundali.com. Both of these should give same result.

Regards

anoop.indirapuramghazibad

You can see your bhav Kundali and chalit Kundali.
You prepare your chart on 10th house cusp (Mid cusp based) and Ascendant cusp based chart, that will be western astrology chart.
Western chart is based on cusp basis, which is like Chalit, and Vedic has full sign based (0-30 degree).

rajat-astrologer

In Vedic, my Sun & Moon are different. North Node is located in a different house. Uranus, Neptune and Pluto doesn't even show in the chart.

Dear tammyt,
Namaste
There is one huge misconception about astrology and that is that predictions are to be made through astrology. I have seen lots of people adjudging the astrologers on the basis of their accuracy in predicting events but trust me more or less no one is competent to predict the events. People talk of 90-100% accuracy. I clearly bet that one can't even have 60% accuracy. Also astrology is a tool to understand your karma and act according to that.
Let's take an example:
As per my birth chart (Vedic Astrology), I am Pisces Ascendant with Venus in Lagna (exalted), Jupiter+Sun+Ketu+Mercury in 2nd house. Now my 10th lord is Jupiter and is in conjunction with Sun (exalted), Mercury (gets exalted in Navamsa) and Ketu. This is all in all a very nice combination for Jyotish as career. But i choose the line of finance (Jupiter indicates finance too). Completed my Chartered Financial Analyst Degree and worked with DSP Blackrock. That time certain conspiracies happened against me by relatives (Mercury - Relatives - Badhaka).
When i entered into astrology as my career everything is going awesome!!
So what i wanted to explain is that look in your chart whether you can excel into Western or Vedic or Jaimini or Naadi and then choose ur area of working into astro.

rajat-astrologer

Most important is to understand the principles. You can't have generalised approach on any planet.
Like there is a huge misconception that an exalted planet is very good. But thats the worst phenomena we all have about planets. Think once how the planet got exalted. Exalted planet means the planet possess more energy. How the planet will have extra energy than other planets. The answer is it will take some specific houses.

Like If Jupiter is exalted in Cancer it takes energy from Aquarius. So whenever Jupiter is exalted in chart, Aquarius will have no strength. Now according to which house is ruled by Aquarius, the area of life will be destroyed.
For example, if Leo ascendant has Jupiter exalted, marriage or 7th house is going to be a major setback in the life of the native. Either person will not get married or have a terrible married life. Like this it is for every planet.
I am teaching all this in my course

http://www.varahamihirajyotishcourse.com

rajat-astrologer

Hi. Thanks for your response. What I don't get is if Jupiter is exalted in Cancer how does Aquarius get damaged? Like how is it related to Jupiter and Cancer?
Dear Tammyt,
Namaste,
Before i answer this question, can you tell what you understand with the term "planet in exaltation"?

rajat-astrologer

Well from what I understand when a planet is exalted, let's say Venus in Pisces, Venus is given extra strength. Is it correct?
Dear Tammy,
Namaste,
Yes extra strength or if we get more precise it is that the exalted planet has extra energy to perform. Now the point is if one planet is getting extra energy, from where he is taking that energy?
Answer to that is the 8th house from the sign where it is exalted. So Jupiter gets exalted in Cancer. 8th sign from Cancer is Aquarius. Hence Aquarius is the sign from which Jupiter takes energy if exalted.
This can be implemented for other planets too:

Venus if exalted weakens/destroys Libra (8th house from Pisces).

Mercury if exalted weakens Aries.

Sun if exalted weakens Scorpio.

Same way when a planet is debilitated it transfers the energy to 8th house from that sign.

Like Jupiter if debilitated will strengthen Leo.

I am running a course on Vedic Astrology which is as following:

I will be teaching many such principles and theories which are normally unknown to the astrology fraternity.

preeshuu

Dear Tammy,
Namaste,
Yes extra strength or if we get more precise it is that the exalted planet has extra energy to perform. Now the point is if one planet is getting extra energy, from where he is taking that energy?
Answer to that is the 8th house from the sign where it is exalted. So Jupiter gets exalted in Cancer. 8th sign from Cancer is Aquarius. Hence Aquarius is the sign from which Jupiter takes energy if exalted.
This can be implemented for other planets too:

Same way when a planet is debilitated it transfers the energy to 8th house from that sign.

Like Jupiter if debilitated will strengthen Leo.

I am running a course on Vedic Astrology which is as following:

I will be teaching many such principles and theories which are normally unknown to the astrology fraternity.
rajat ...

this is excellent ....i have a question ...

what if the exalated planet is retro as well?

rgds

Moog

Do you mean that the matters of the house are weakened? Does it affect the ruler?

It's an interesting idea.

I have Mercury exalted and Venus debilitated in Virgo. Would you say then that the energy loss was balanced or cancelled out?