How do you describe applying and separating aspects?

MoonlightSonata

I've read that separating aspects are supposed to be weaker than applying aspects. So would you say a person with a separating sextile had the potential to do something but doesn't any more, or still has potential since sextiles represent opportunity, but maybe the opportunities are few due to the separation?

Osamenor

Staff member
Think of the Christmas season. Does it feel more like Christmas on December 20th, or December 27th?

The 27th is closer in time to the day itself, but Christmas is separating: the day has come and gone. On the 20th, the anticipation is in the air, holiday parties are happening, Christmas season is in full swing. We are applying to Christmas at that time.

Aspects work like that. The time when they're applying is when the aspect is being anticipated. It's like that Christmas-is-coming energy. The time when they're separating is when we may still be in the holiday period, but we can feel it passing.

Because they work that way, applying aspects will manifest strongly at a wider orb than separating aspects will. Just like the December 20th/December 27th contrast. It feels even less like Christmas on December 29th, doesn't it?

But a close separating aspect is still going to be very strongly felt. If it's within a degree of exact, it's like lunchtime on Christmas Day: the most anticipated part may be over, but the celebration is still going on.

In a natal chart, applying aspects are a gift that's in the process of being given or a problem in the process of being created. They manifest gradually over the native's life.

Separating trines and sextiles are a gift that's already been received and opened. They manifest full blown early in life, like in this case (full disclosure: that's a letter I answered on my blog).

Separating squares and oppositions are challenges that are more likely to become easier over time, because the full challenge has already manifested and started to fade. The applying square or opposition is kind of like, you inherited a forest cabin when there was a fire raging around it. You're in the thick of it. The separating square or opposition is more like inheriting that cabin after the fire, so you get the task of repairing and rebuilding and stewarding the land as it regenerates.

waybread

It also depends upon what type of chart you are reading. They are critical in horary astrology.

In a modern natal chart interpretation, the horoscope is treated more like a snapshot, or still picture frozen in time. Separating aspects still count. But whether applying or separating, the aspect orb really matters. The closer it is, the more the person is likely to feel it.

With the major aspects, I would use an aspect of 10 degrees for the sun and moon, but 5-7 degrees for the other planets. An orb of 1 degree will be felt much more than an orb of 7 degrees.

MoonlightSonata

It also depends upon what type of chart you are reading. They are critical in horary astrology.

In a modern natal chart interpretation, the horoscope is treated more like a snapshot, or still picture frozen in time. Separating aspects still count. But whether applying or separating, the aspect orb really matters. The closer it is, the more the person is likely to feel it.

With the major aspects, I would use an aspect of 10 degrees for the sun and moon, but 5-7 degrees for the other planets. An orb of 1 degree will be felt much more than an orb of 7 degrees.

Thanks. I'm focusing on natal charts right now because I don't really know how to interpret horary charts yet.

MoonlightSonata

Think of the Christmas season. Does it feel more like Christmas on December 20th, or December 27th?

The 27th is closer in time to the day itself, but Christmas is separating: the day has come and gone. On the 20th, the anticipation is in the air, holiday parties are happening, Christmas season is in full swing. We are applying to Christmas at that time.

Aspects work like that. The time when they're applying is when the aspect is being anticipated. It's like that Christmas-is-coming energy. The time when they're separating is when we may still be in the holiday period, but we can feel it passing.

Because they work that way, applying aspects will manifest strongly at a wider orb than separating aspects will. Just like the December 20th/December 27th contrast. It feels even less like Christmas on December 29th, doesn't it?

But a close separating aspect is still going to be very strongly felt. If it's within a degree of exact, it's like lunchtime on Christmas Day: the most anticipated part may be over, but the celebration is still going on.

In a natal chart, applying aspects are a gift that's in the process of being given or a problem in the process of being created. They manifest gradually over the native's life.

Separating trines and sextiles are a gift that's already been received and opened. They manifest full blown early in life, like in this case (full disclosure: that's a letter I answered on my blog).

Separating squares and oppositions are challenges that are more likely to become easier over time, because the full challenge has already manifested and started to fade. The applying square or opposition is kind of like, you inherited a forest cabin when there was a fire raging around it. You're in the thick of it. The separating square or opposition is more like inheriting that cabin after the fire, so you get the task of repairing and rebuilding and stewarding the land as it regenerates.

Great analogy! I'll definitely check out the blog post.

ElenaJ

With a horary the aspects principally show timing and conclusion of events.
The natal shows the exchange of energy, so slightly different.
The Christmas analogy does really give a good picture of it.

Lin

Good explanations but something has been left out????

Retrogrades. An aspect can be separating but NOT over....because of retrogrades.

So I suppose you are talking about the LAST time the two planets aspect and the faster planet separates. Then within 2 degrees.

And LOL...the Christmas example is great except for those who feel Christmas is not over until New Years Day.....or even Epiphany!! Which many people feel is ''the end'' of the Christmas season.

So...if the planet will retrograde back to the orb of influence, the aspect is NOT over even if it has gone well beyond the orb usually used.

Just take retrogrades into consideration.

AND then there is the case of the stellium. If the planet is in a stellium then one must study the entire chart for additional connections.

LIN

MoonlightSonata

Good explanations but something has been left out????

Retrogrades. An aspect can be separating but NOT over....because of retrogrades.

So I suppose you are talking about the LAST time the two planets aspect and the faster planet separates. Then within 2 degrees.

And LOL...the Christmas example is great except for those who feel Christmas is not over until New Years Day.....or even Epiphany!! Which many people feel is ''the end'' of the Christmas season.

So...if the planet will retrograde back to the orb of influence, the aspect is NOT over even if it has gone well beyond the orb usually used.

Just take retrogrades into consideration.

AND then there is the case of the stellium. If the planet is in a stellium then one must study the entire chart for additional connections.

LIN

Thanks. I hadn't considered retrogrades. Now I'm seeing that energy as someone like country singer Gretchen Wilson, who boasted about never taking her Christmas lights down in "Redneck Woman."