Profections

I am studying astrology profections. Here are my q's:

If you have a birthday in the middle of the year (June or July) can you have two house experiences?

What if there are no planets in your profection house? Do comets and nodes count? Sun or moon?

sworm09

I am studying astrology profections. Here are my q's:

If you have a birthday in the middle of the year (June or July) can you have two house experiences?

What if there are no planets in your profection house? Do comets and nodes count? Sun or moon?

The profection year starts on your birthday, so when in the calendar year the profection starts doesn't matter. If your birthday is on December 31st and your profected Ascendant is ruled by Mars, Mars will remain the ruler of the year until the next December 31st.

Profections are primarily a sign based technique. You CAN do it with houses, but it was meant to be done in a sign based way, one sign per year.

If there are no planets in the profected house then the lord of the sign of the profection takes over. So if your profection lands in Aquarius and nothing is in Aquarius, then Saturn takes over for the year. If something was in Aquarius Saturn would still be the lord of the year, but those other planets would remain relevant.

However that isn't uniform in all texts. Some authors say that if the sign is empty you look at your Solar Return and see if any planets are in that sign. If there any planets there, they become the lord of the year.

To keep it simple I'd stick with seeing who is in the profected sign and interpret those planets. If no one is there focus on the ruler of the sign, who will be important even IF another planet is in their sign.

The profection year starts on your birthday, so when in the calendar year the profection starts doesn't matter. If your birthday is on December 31st and your profected Ascendant is ruled by Mars, Mars will remain the ruler of the year until the next December 31st.

Profections are primarily a sign based technique. You CAN do it with houses, but it was meant to be done in a sign based way, one sign per year.

If there are no planets in the profected house then the lord of the sign of the profection takes over. So if your profection lands in Aquarius and nothing is in Aquarius, then Saturn takes over for the year. If something was in Aquarius Saturn would still be the lord of the year, but those other planets would remain relevant.

However that isn't uniform in all texts. Some authors say that if the sign is empty you look at your Solar Return and see if any planets are in that sign. If there any planets there, they become the lord of the year.

To keep it simple I'd stick with seeing who is in the profected sign and interpret those planets. If no one is there focus on the ruler of the sign, who will be important even IF another planet is in their sign.

Thank you for taking the time to provide an explanation. It makes a lot of sense. Profection charts are so confusing. This helps!

I do have another question! I guess the planets shift during the chart? Using your example.......If Aquarius is the profection for 7th house but Saturn shows up at 12th house for the chart, does that mean 12 house themes apply strongly to the year?

JUPITERASC

Thank you for taking the time to provide an explanation. It makes a lot of sense. Profection charts are so confusing. This helps!
I do have another question! I guess the planets shift during the chart? Using your example.......If Aquarius is the profection for 7th house but Saturn shows up at 12th house for the chart, does that mean 12 house themes apply strongly to the year?
The place where the count starts, ie the first house, can make a difference: the Egyptian method (which ahs always been the dominant one, and is the one followed by Valens) begins the count at 0 (in other words, the year after birth = the 1st house and is counted as 0) Paulus of Alexandria differed, and began the count at 1 (in other words, the year after birth = the 1st house and is counted as 1) I myself have followed the Pauline profection (all of the available authors have chosen to follow the Egyptian method of starting @ 0, including Lehman, Ben Dykes, etc)
In my experience I have found Pauline profection to be the more accurate profection method
difference is that Valens and many Hellenistic Astrologers
time profections as follows :smile:
The ascendant is considered as being time of birth so from birth to the cusp of the 2nd house is considered to relate to the first year of life: from cusp of 2nd to cusp of 3rd encompasses the second year of life (ie from age one to age two) and so on around the natal chart returning to the Ascendant for the twelfth year of life

by the way
check out Omnisphericus thread entitled "Profections (Praxis)
This is the basic technique given by Paulus of Annual Profections of the Ascendant, i.e. profection of the Ascendant from one sign to the next for each year of life. The Ruler of the Sign in which the Ascendant is falling in that particular year is called 'The Lord of the Year".
This technique is quite simple and you do not need to calculate degrees, only signs.
If you are born with Aries rising, on the Solar Return the next year (when you are 1 year old) the Profected Ascendant would be in Taurus and the Lord of the Year would be Venus.

The Ages 0, 12, 24, 36, 48, 60, 72, 84, 96 and etc., are the 'Profection Return' (to invent a title xD), the Ascendant in those years is the same as it was at the birth, so the Lord of the Year is the same too.

Years 1, 13, 25, 37, 49, 61, 73, 85, 97 are given to the 2nd sign from the Ascendant.

Here's a chart:

View attachment 27162

The Lord of the Year is having the same function as the Lord of the Year at nativity. It is most significant planet, ruling the place where the Soul (the Sky) and Body (earth) are merging (at the Ascendant).
Here's what Paulus says about the Lord of the year in profections: http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47191

JUPITERASC

Lol thankyou for your post and I think you are right.
I think the best way to learn more about astrology
is probably a structured formal course so it focusses on the main elements.
I almost did a diploma many years ago
but didn't end up doing it.

Wish I had now.
In fact, now, today is best time to begin learning
because
many previously untranslated ancient texts
are newly available

obviously - for those who are interested
not pushing traditional
simply pointing out the possibilities

for structured learning I recommend BENJAMIN DYKES
https://bendykes.com/

re: SOLAR RETURNS

Abu Ma’shar (d. 886 CE) was one of the most prolific
and influential early Medieval astrologers who wrote in Arabic
living in Baghdad in the middle of the 9th century.
He wrote one of the most famous
and
comprehensive works on solar returns
titled
ON THE REVOLUTIONS OF THE YEARS OF NATIVITIES
Portions of this book were translated from Arabic into Latin
in the 12th century
which then influenced many subsequent generations
of astrologers in the west.
In 2010 Ben translated the Latin version of
Abu Ma’shar’s book on solar returns
and published it as Persian Nativities III.
Now he has gone back
and translated the entirety of the original Arabic text
which not only
contains a lot of material that was missing in the Latin version
but also
the meaning of the text is much richer and more nuanced
because
the translation is from the original language.

The book was released 9 August 2019
and is available on Amazon.
During the course of the interview
we talk about who Abu Ma’shar was
why he thought that calculating solar return charts was important
and
some of the specific things that he recommended looking at
when trying to interpret a solar return.

useful info
Abu Ma'shar on SOLAR RETURNS :smile:
with Benjamin Dykes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU9TF7zeQUo

JUPITERASC

PROFECTION WHEEL :smile:

tma_brennan_3profections.png

socrates

Hi
Im infatuated with a girl but I get confusing info on this. Im in aries 11th profection and today I started the monthly 11th as well. Mars is there now as you know. Natally its with venus in 8th but mars transit is sextile jupiter my 7th ruler. Im in my holiday home which is a bit of a foreign place as people here have no sense of time and are less success driven. So I see it as somehow related to 9th place as I feel better here.
I found out today shes a kickboxer which is in line with mars. But again Im not sure what prevails here, the good jupiter mars aspect or the natal position in 8th. I wish to avoid chatting her up in the street so Ive been trying to find out where she goes in order to meet her in an appropriate place. What do you make of these ?

JUPITERASC

Hi
Im infatuated with a girl but I get confusing info on this. Im in aries 11th profection and today I started the monthly 11th as well. Mars is there now as you know. Natally its with venus in 8th but mars transit is sextile jupiter my 7th ruler. Im in my holiday home which is a bit of a foreign place as people here have no sense of time and are less success driven. So I see it as somehow related to 9th place as I feel better here.
I found out today shes a kickboxer which is in line with mars. But again Im not sure what prevails here, the good jupiter mars aspect or the natal position in 8th. I wish to avoid chatting her up in the street so Ive been trying to find out where she goes in order to meet her in an appropriate place. What do you make of these ?
a natal chart with a reliable time of birth is most important
but natal chart has not been posted on this thread for discussion :smile: