What is a yod?

Kuntuzangmo

I've just discovered I have one and don't know what they mean.
I did a search in this forum and didn't find anything.
Thanks.

katydid

That question---'what is a yod?'---is something I still wonder, after studying astrology for many decades already. :sideways:

It is a configuration built upon a conundrum, in my opinion. You have the base, which is solid enough, being built upon a sextile. So at it's foundation you have an 'opportunity.' Starts out well enough, we see that there should be some kind of opportunity arising.

But the apex, or trigger, is built upon two 'inconjuncts.' Inconjunctions are aspects in which the 2 planets involved have no connections, similarities in mode or elements. They are dissimilar, incongruent, DISCONNECTED, dispassionate.

Thus we are to somehow base an opportunity[sextile] upon two interconnected inconjunctions, which are essentially pairing of planets which are incongruent and disconnected from each other by element and mode? :andy:

I know someone with Saturn, in Capricorn in the 10th. Pretty strong image. It is the apex of a Yod, or a Finger Of Fate. There is an in conjunction from the Sun in Gemini in the 3rd and Mars in Leo in the 5th.

The Sun/Mars sextile is a nice connection between his active intelligence and his physical prowess. He is a leader at heart.

Sun in Gemini forms a connection to the Saturn in Capricorn by in conjunction. Mutable Air has no similarity/sympathy/connection with Cardinal Earth. The energies are disparate. Sun in Gemini wants to be an individual with his own voice, his own ideas and do his own research before making decisions. Saturn in Cap is a company man all of the way. He will comply with directives and work as a team leader to get EVERYONE on the same page. How do you integrate those two stances cohesively?

Then you throw in another disparate urge from Mars in Leo/5th. [Ruler of the Aries ASc] This is the proud athlete with stamina and a strong competitive zeal. He considers himself a true champion because of his own individual efforts and hard work. He likes a bit of publicity and notoriety. He earned it.

That Mars finishes off the Yod to the 10th house Saturn. Somehow that 5th house 'celebrity status' needs to be contained and reigned in by Saturn, which requires some decorum and self restraint. There is no room for the glowing enthusiastic accolades of fixed Fire when it meets up with cardinal Earth, as it smothers those embers and takes control of unbridled energy.

In this man's case, he ended up being marrying into a vey wealthy, well respected family and becoming a 'suit' as he calls it, even though he had no higher education or experience. His opportunity to become a well paid executive,[ Saturn in the 10th/in Cap], came after his love interest noticed his Mars in Leo in the 5th, his zest for life and love, and married him. That gave him the opportunity [sextile Sun in Gemini in 3rd] to be around and speak with important people who recognized his potential and strength.

So he had a 'Finger of Fate' or a Yod to his executive position, Saturn in Cap in the 10th.

dowhanawi

Katydid what do you think happens when someone blows the opportunity if the yod. That's it? Fate handed you a big chance and you ******* it? Can a person later eotk their *** off towards the eventual fate if they choose. (Not me, I dong have one). Think that's unlikely? I'm torn cuz I see our charts as a guide, not fate and yet I do think fate sometimes intervenes in our lives, but obviously we need to grab that chance. I'm mostly torn on a personal level cuz its my husband (well ex but that's to recent for me to not feel strongly tied, and it's ex by what's best for the family not by lack of love, anyways... ) I feel his yod chance happened and he blew it.

katydid

Yes, I think people can mess up some of the opportunities handed to them with a yod. But they will continue to get the opportunities, in my opinion.

Things come out of nowhere with a yod. If you are too blind or inept at that moment, it will come around again.:wink:

R4VEN

dowhanawi, people do blow their YOD opportunities, as some people just want to take the easy way out. YODs - both natal and temporary - tend to slow things down, creating a long period of discomfort, and people generally try to push this along by controlling the situation, and this is not the correct approach. Everything has it's time, and time is often needed for the purpose of the delay to be accessed.

A `for instance' -
A number of years ago a retired High Court judge in this country was sent a speeding ticket. The fine was something like $72. He tried to avoid paying the fine by stating that while it was his car which the speed camera picked up, he was not driving it at the time. The case went to court, where it was found that the person whom he swore was driving his car had died prior to the speeding incident. Given the expectation that this man would be a proponent of the law, he had to do gaol time. At the time this occurred I checked his astro. He had a temporary YOD involving both Uranus and Mercury. I think his Neptune was involved also.
As a High Court judge he had been an advocate for the underdog. Had he paid his $72 fine he would not have had to go to court or end up in gaol. I think the reason he tried to avoid paying the fine was that he had had a number of speeding fines, and with one more he would lose his drivers license for a time. In the long run he would have been better off losing his license than going to gaol. It wasn't as though he couldn't afford taxis.

Last edited:

Kuntuzangmo

Thanks for your responses, but I still don't thoroughly understand.
The apex of mine is the MC (taurus), with nn and mars on the other end, 3/4th houses (libra/scorp).
So are you saying some opportunity comes when those points are activated by transit or lifelong
qualities?

Last edited:

katydid

Thanks for your responses, but I still don't thoroughly understand.
The apex of mine is the MC (taurus), with venus and mars on the other end, 3/4th houses (virgo/scorp), straddling the IC.
So are you saying some opportunity comes when those points are activated by transit?

Ok, so you have a sextile [opportunity aspect] between your Venus in Virgo and Mars in Scorpio then? and in a nice easy aspect, so you would have a nice sexual/emotional energy, a nice balance between yin/yang and an alluring demeanor perhaps?

Because they straddle the IC, they would be funneling their energy onto that angle and one would expect that you would feel drawn to 'inner' disciplines, and doing deep inner meditative type work to help quell demons/desires/flaws etc. The urge for inner balance would be quite strong, compared to the average person who might never even contemplate the need or the option to do so. That sextile often gives one an deep internal sense of personal ethics, in my experience.

That same sense of balance and solid down to earth energy would probably give you a solid base for your career/work ethic. One would expect that you would be successful and productive in the career area as the sextile in the 3rd/4th would have probably given you some prime work opportunities over the years. These opportunities would arise from friends/neighbors/family members who appreciated your balanced emotional life and solid down to earth communication skills and decided to give you a chance/job/internship. Or something along those lines?

ETA: OOPS. i see you changed it from Virgo to Libra? Are the Venus/Mars sextile each other but in Libra/Scorpio? And NOT Venus but NN?

If the yod is between NN and Mc and Mars then it has less power as a yod, in my experience, because only one of the three is a planet. It still 'works' but I am unsure of how tight it is if it is Libra sextile scorpio to a Taurus MC. Are you certain it is a yod?

Last edited:

R4VEN

Kuntuzangmo, a YOD is not something which can necessarily be `understood'. It is not like a Mars-Sun conjunct. or a Moon-Neptune square, each of which have distinct characteristics. You can read about each of the quincunxes in your YOD, and the sextile, but to put them together in a way which will satisfy your intellect may be a step too far.

However, what you do need to be aware of is that whenever any of the 3 planets in your YOD are brought into a temporary transit by a transiting or progressed planet(s) you are likely to face a challenge which will require you to do what is right - as opposed to what you may want to do in order to make the pain/discomfort go away.

The presence of a YOD on your natal chart requires more of you than ever before, but you will have difficulty in knowing what that even means until your YOD planets are activated by either transiting or progressed planets. What I'm saying is that your soul may have tests/challenged for you to go through for the purpose of soul-strengthening, and it is almost impossible to pre-empt what these challenges may be. It varies from individual to individual.

katydid

Sorry, I made a mistake about the venus/mars. It's northnode and mars. Thanks katydid.

So the North Node makes a quincunx to the MC and the Mars makes a quincunx to the MC?

I am trying to figure out the math if the MC is in Taurus and the Mars is in Scorpio.

Kitchy

Banned
Hello -

I appreciate Raven's notion 'make it go away' - in a nutshell, that is how the apex planet tends to operate. The base of the sextiled planets in any yod -they have a comfortable relationship with each other - they don't 'sweat' one another. The quincunx of those planets to the apex - is uncomfortable - it is something that has to be reasoned to be resolved, some kind of solution of how to manage the energies is always the goal.

I have a yod myself - venus 9th/saturn 6th are sextile and both quincunx uranus in 1st. I always did well in college and I have a very strong and reliable work ethic in jobs and projects. I have been given opportunities over the years to work with high ranking academics and business leaders on various projects - and always received their respect and encouragement and offers for jobs or positions with them.

The Uranus apex has created problems, that other areas and aspects in my chart do not support - and since I know pretty well how uranus operates - I know that it is the Uranus influence that made me walk away from those jobs and opportunities when I got disgusted with what I deemed to be the BS of 'politics' : the rubbing up, the giving in, the 'going the flow' with things that didn't fit with my paradigm ~ independent thinking and doing what I believed to be "just" or egalitarian in the scheme of things.

The 'make it go away' notion is strong. In my instance - Uranus is the one that walks away to make it 'go away' - Uranus leaves it flat cold- doesn't look back with regret. My assumptions are strong - that I would never find fulfillment in just solely getting rave reviews for my work, especially within the structural context of academic & business institutions. The apex Uranus also trines MC closely - and that is the ultimate buzzkill for taking orders, playing the 'game', etc. - Uranus apex and MC require me to take and have full control and charge of my work, my projects and goals in the jobs - which of course, very few employers or academics really appreciate in the long run - where credit due is meant to be credit shared.

Kuntuzangmo

Kitchy, your explanation makes sense. I do think my northnode and mars have an effective relationship. The apex is the MC, and I very much am aware of a tendency to walk away from situations where success is a high probability, and then 'suffer the consequences' later. :andy:
So I'm trying to reconcile these energies, and understanding what the walking away habit means.
Thanks to all of you.
Very interesting.http://www.astrologyweekly.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Last edited:

Kitchy

Banned
Hello again -

Traditional astrologers refer to the quincunx as 'the razors edge' - and the yod apex essentially has two quincux relationships to resolve - with both aligned parties of the sextile base.

The fortunate thing about the YOD is that it is never really catastrophic - because the sextile base will always keep the tower standing through their cooperative and easy relationship.

katydid

I did a chart on a free site and it said it was a yod.

nn is at 1.24 libra in 3rd
mars at 28.5 scorpio in 4th
mc is 0.47 taurus

So the Mars and Dragon's Head sextile might represent the opportunity to succeed in partnerships by learning to speak up and express oneself clearly.

Ebertin says Mars/Dragonshead is:

"the attainment of joint or shared successes...the stage of entering into a union with others. "

So that opportunity, of entering into a successful union/partnership, is sometimes delayed/debilitated, tested, by the inconjunctions to MC in Taurus.

Ebertin says:

" the cropping up of difficulties in the pursuit of joint and common interests between people,"

...and perhaps their career goals/objectives, may be in conflict with your own, because of the Taurus/Scorpio/Libra in conjunctions.

So your personal progress and spiritual growth [ North Node] can come from learning to communicate with partners [Libra in 3rd] but that is sometimes difficult when the outer world has disparate goals or objectives which are in conflict with your own deeply held values and principles. [Mars, Scorpio in the 4th]

So finding a job/'career path /goal in which you can fully join others in a true partnership can be a very emotionally productive assignment, perhaps?

katydid

Oh OOPs, here is the reply I wrote last night, but fell asleep before posting it. :tongue:

To make progress in my relationships [North Node in Libra] I need to better communicate [3rd house] my personal needs/desires [Mars in Scorpio]--perhaps in a more open, trusting manner? [4th house] I will never get what I need if I don't ask for it clearly and calmly.

The IC being the midpoint of the yod may indicate the need to go inward, to make peace with the internal struggle. Learning to find balance from w/in the base chakra.

The Libran North Node in the 3rd inconjunct the MC shows the battle between wanting to be in charge[Taurus on the MC] versus allowing oneself to be a team player ---an equal partner within a group that stresses equality and group dynamics. [NN in 3rd in Libra]

The Mars/MC inconjunct is a similar dynamic. But it is not quite the same as an inconjunct because it is 'out of sign'---it is a Scorpio to Taurus aspect, so it works more like an opposition. Mars/MC is the struggle between 'self ' and 'authority figures.' It seems that you might prefer being your own boss whenever possible but your greatest progress may actually come from working with a group/cooperative/partnership if possible.

Kuntuzangmo

Oh OOPs, here is the reply I wrote last night, but fell asleep before posting it. :tongue:

To make progress in my relationships [North Node in Libra] I need to better communicate [3rd house] my personal needs/desires [Mars in Scorpio]--perhaps in a more open, trusting manner? [4th house] I will never get what I need if I don't ask for it clearly and calmly.

The IC being the midpoint of the yod may indicate the need to go inward, to make peace with the internal struggle. Learning to find balance from w/in the base chakra.

The Libran North Node in the 3rd inconjunct the MC shows the battle between wanting to be in charge[Taurus on the MC] versus allowing oneself to be a team player ---an equal partner within a group that stresses equality and group dynamics. [NN in 3rd in Libra]

The Mars/MC inconjunct is a similar dynamic. But it is not quite the same as an inconjunct because it is 'out of sign'---it is a Scorpio to Taurus aspect, so it works more like an opposition. Mars/MC is the struggle between 'self ' and 'authority figures.' It seems that you might prefer being your own boss whenever possible but your greatest progress may actually come from working with a group/cooperative/partnership if possible.

SO right on. Thanks Katydid!

http://www.astrologyweekly.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/