Retrograde, don't do this!

Osamenor

Staff member
Does turning retrograde prevents Mars doing other things in your chart? Depending on what house system you use, etc, it could be interesting to have a look at whether Mars crosses the house boundary and comes back from there, or he chooses not to enter the second house by turning rx.

In Placidus, my second house cusp is at 11* Aquarius. Mars will turn retrograde at 9* Aquarius, a couple degrees short of H2. In whole sign and equal house, Mars crosses my second house cusp during and after the retrograde.

Mars will also stop a couple degrees short of making an exact opposition to my natal Saturn before turning direct, and a couple more degrees short of making an exact square to natal Jupiter and my MC/IC axis (Jupiter is on my IC; Uranus making a somewhat wider conjunction with my MC). But, since it does hit the exact square to Uranus more than once, it seems to me that brings in the planets and points involved in the t-square with Uranus--an angular, cardinal t-square.

Therese

In Placidus, my second house cusp is at 11* Aquarius. Mars will turn retrograde at 9* Aquarius, a couple degrees short of H2. In whole sign and equal house, Mars crosses my second house cusp during and after the retrograde.

Mars will also stop a couple degrees short of making an exact opposition to my natal Saturn before turning direct, and a couple more degrees short of making an exact square to natal Jupiter and my MC/IC axis (Jupiter is on my IC; Uranus making a somewhat wider conjunction with my MC). But, since it does hit the exact square to Uranus more than once, it seems to me that brings in the planets and points involved in the t-square with Uranus--an angular, cardinal t-square.
Well, sounds like it will be an interesting occasion to observe the difference between a direct and a retrograde tr Mars making a grand cross out of your natal t-square, no?

Personally, I use placidus, so I'd find it meaningful that Mars turns back before crossing into the 2nd house, especially if other factors during this transit also point towards questions of self-perception, identity, etc - for example if Mars, Jupiter or Saturn rules any of your angles natally.

That brings up again the inner or intimate aspects of what it means to you to create this website.

muchacho

So, in case of a transiting retrograde (I'm not talking about natal retrogrades here), what would be some examples of it being desirable? Or not desirable? For an electional chart, that is. When would essential dignity be more important? When would accidental dignity be more important?
Accidental dignity is an advantage where temporary action/performance matters. Essential dignity is an advantage where competence/suitability matters.

Osamenor

Staff member
Accidental dignity is an advantage where temporary action/performance matters. Essential dignity is an advantage where competence/suitability matters.

Okay... so would you want more essential dignities, then, in a wedding chart? It's important that the couple be compatible with each other. But, in a case like my friends who are getting married this August, when they've already been living together for some time, compatibility would already be established.

muchacho

Okay... so would you want more essential dignities, then, in a wedding chart? It's important that the couple be compatible with each other. But, in a case like my friends who are getting married this August, when they've already been living together for some time, compatibility would already be established.
Right, that's already established. But I wouldn't totally ignore it either because it plays a role in determining functional benefics/malefics.

Chrysalis

I was thinking this same question today. As I'm now back into the dating world, I was thinking i should maybe wait to start putting myself out there to meet someone new, until the Venus retrograde is over. This takes me towards the end of June, but when it ends, mercury will also be retrograde at this point [well and Saturn....and Pluto....and Jupiter].

Osamenor

Staff member
I don't remember if I've mentioned it in this thread, but I took a relationship astrology course about a year, year and a half ago, and one thing that struck me from the sample charts (there were three examples we studied for transits that were happening when the native met the person they ended up marrying), was that every single one of those first meets happened with Venus or Mars or both retrograde. In at least one of those cases, Mercury was also retrograde.

I also met a longterm partner with Venus stationing retrograde--in opposition to my natal Venus. We were together 10 years.

Right now, the hindrance to going out and dating is quarantine, not retrogrades.

Chrysalis

I don't remember if I've mentioned it in this thread, but I took a relationship astrology course about a year, year and a half ago, and one thing that struck me from the sample charts (there were three examples we studied for transits that were happening when the native met the person they ended up marrying), was that every single one of those first meets happened with Venus or Mars or both retrograde. In at least one of those cases, Mercury was also retrograde.

I also met a longterm partner with Venus stationing retrograde--in opposition to my natal Venus. We were together 10 years.

Right now, the hindrance to going out and dating is quarantine, not retrogrades.

Hmm, that's interesting. That kind of contradicts what Venus RX represents.

They must have had Venus Rx aspecting an important point or planet in their chart(s) just like in your case.

So i suppose we could say then that if venus is retrograde, but is at the same time making an important aspect in your chart, that it doesn't necessarily mean it's not going to work out.

P.S When you say "first meets" were these totally new first meets and they had never ever met before? Not been old school friends from the past or anything like that?

Osamenor

Staff member
P.S When you say "first meets" were these totally new first meets and they had never ever met before? Not been old school friends from the past or anything like that?

Totally new first meets. At least, that's how I remember it. They definitely were not old school friends reconnecting or anything like that.

My own first meet that took place during a Venus station was a new first meet. I'd seen this person in passing, briefly, before, but not really noticed him. That party was when we officially met and first had a conversation. We didn't know each other before then.