South, North or East Indian?

Moog

Hi. I was just fiddling with some web calculator, dialling a Navamsa chart.

I was able to choose three styles: North, South, or East Indian.

Since I am a Vedic newbie, I have no idea what the difference is, but I'm curious.

What are the differences?

serafin5

Hi. I was just fiddling with some web calculator, dialling a Navamsa chart.

I was able to choose three styles: North, South, or East Indian.

Since I am a Vedic newbie, I have no idea what the difference is, but I'm curious.

What are the differences?

Hi Moog:

My immediate response to that would be (?) northern indian would be the Native American, south would be the indians 'across our borders (?), and the east would be like the India indians. Just took a shot at this.

I hope I helped.
Serafin5:unsure:

PS: Is that what you meant? I have this feeling I'm going to be wrong on this. Oh well.

Moog

Serafin, I'm fairly sure we're talking about Asian Subcontinent India and not Native American Indians :smile:

dr. farr

Right, these terms refer to chart drawing styles: they are all "box charts", square (not circular like the style we use), and there are basically 2 major styles (North Indian and South Indian), and a 3rd modification (of the North Indian style) used in eastern India, Bangladesh and southeast Asian countries (among jyotishi in those countries)

Actually these charts (especially the North Indian style) are very close-if not identical-to the style of astrological charts used in Western astrology from Hellenistic times right through around the 1700's, when we went, increasingly, to the circular chart style; interesting, historically, that it was the ancient Chinese who originally used the circular chart style that is the common Western style format over the past couple hundred years!

Personally I dislike the various "box" chart styles, and only use the circular chart style (even for sidereal/Vedic charts!)

Last edited:

Moog

Right, these terms refer to chart drawing styles: they are all "box charts", square (not circular like the style we use), and there are basically 2 major styles (North Indian and South Indian), and a 3rd modification (of the North Indian style) used in eastern India, Bangladesh and southeast Asian countries (among jyotishi in those countries)

Actually these charts (especially the North Indian style) are very close-if not identical-to the style of astrological charts used in Western astrology from Hellenistic times right through around the 1700's, when we went, increasingly, to the circular chart style; interesting, historically, that it was the ancient Chinese who originally used the circular chart style that is the common Western style format over the past couple hundred years!

Personally I dislike the various "box" chart styles, and only use the circular chart style (even for sidereal/Vedic charts!)

Very interesting dr. farr! I prefer the circular charts too, but I'm not sure either of the software I use can cast a Navamsa chart.

selfless

Banned
1.North Indian Chart---here , Horoscope is calculated Anti-clockwise from Ascendant, a circle divided into 12 divisions/houses (30 degree each)(ascendant is drawn on top)....here calculation is from ascendant..Practised in North India in places like, Delhi,Lucknow,etc.

2. East Indian Chart----here, Horoscope is calculated Anti-clockwise from ascendant , here also the same 12 houses/divisions (but generally the outside circle is not drawn), Mesh raashi always stays at top in the kundli drawn..but here also calculation is from ascendant..Practised in East India in places like Kolkata, etc.

3..South Indian Chart---here, calculation is done Clockwise from Ascendant.. it looks like a rectangle (actually not).. it has the same 12 divisions..here calculation is from ascendant, but clockwise..Practised in South India in places like Chennai, Thiruvananthapuram(Kerala), etc.

serafin5

Serafin, I'm fairly sure we're talking about Asian Subcontinent India and not Native American Indians :smile:

Ooops; my bad!:lol:

PS. I had no idea that the basic Vedic was so varied. Thanks for the info guys. Now let me go put my head in the sand.

Last edited:

anoop.indirapuramghazibad

Any type of chart is easy/difficult, it all depends on your working. Basics are important then chart will start talking to the analyst.
Charts are the derived to make it convenient for us or are converted degrees in terms of house/rashis/nakshatras etc.