Gender of planets

graay ghost

There is no creation without reception; and, there is no reception without creation. They happen simultaneously. Captured any wild peeves lately?:biggrin:

No. I did meet a frog today, though. Or was it a toad? He hopped right on my foot! I feel as if I have been chosen. Not sure for what, though.

Last edited:

david starling

Reading a chart (or tea leaves or chicken entrails or whathaveyou) is a very different act than reading a book. When someone reads a book, the author had a particular intent that the reader is supposed to pick up on. The main message you get from reading stars is "neener neener" because otherwise they would have made themselves easier to read.

Read any James Joyce lately?:biggrin:

conspiracy theorist

This rather comes from the idea in STEM fields that there are generally two types of people: a type that, when you see something happen, is it a "problem to be solved" or a "phenomena to be studied"? If you wanted to I guess you could break them down into "creative" versus "receptive", though another perhaps more accurate way is "adversarial" vs. "curious". Everyone does both of these things to some degree but the idea is that one type of person is usually going to end up making more money than the other (guess which).

Are you on your way to financial freedom?

I can actually see a similar divide in the astrological community and might go a long way to explain the type of people who gravitate towards traditional and modern. Even in the issues that people have -- traditionals are too doom and gloom and "close-minded" and care about the concrete whilst the moderns are accused of being too theoretical in their focus. Even the way trads are seen as adversarial seems to be an off-shoot from this dichotomy.

So my question to you is, what is the goal of finding the gender of these new planets? Do you think that they'll add a new dimension to chart reading? Will they work?

JUPITERASC

According to Merriam-Webster, the word "planet" is "derived from 'planasthai,' a Greek verb which means 'to wander'.
The ancient application of the term clearly did not equate the Moon with an "aster", a star.
Instead, the Moon was simply a celestial object that moved relative to the fixed stars and was considered Astrologically significant
--like the smaller planets are considered to be by many Astrologers today.
Therefore, they may be considered Astrological planets.
The word "planet" originally evolved from the Greek "planetes aster"
or "wandering star" :smile:
and
specifically referred to the Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Jupiter, Mars, and Saturn

whose motion
WITHOUT ARTIFICIAL AIDS TO VISION
could be detected against the backdrop of fixed stars
that are stable in their relative distance from one another
but all move together as one large group.

david starling

I can actually see a similar divide in the astrological community and might go a long way to explain the type of people who gravitate towards traditional and modern. Even in the issues that people have -- traditionals are too doom and gloom and "close-minded" and care about the concrete whilst the moderns are accused of being too theoretical in their focus. Even the way trads are seen as adversarial seems to be an off-shoot from this dichotomy.

So my question to you is, what is the goal of finding the gender of these new planets? Do you think that they'll add a new dimension to chart reading? Will they work?

I thought it was about the application of gender to all of the Planets, not just the telescopically augmented ones.:unsure:

Last edited:

graay ghost

It might? I don't know. Admittedly a part of it is an urge to make them tidy. I don't like that the modern planets have single rulerships and no exaltation. It's not... symmetrical? And if someone did figure out second rulerships and exaltations of the newbies it seems like it would, obviously, add some new dimension. By declaring that masculine/feminine have a wet/dry nature whatever would mean that figuring out the wet/dry hot/cold nature of the newbies would be important too -- although it may be as tsmall said, they're all just really, really cold and dry (but that would be really boring!).

I mean, again, I led this discussion with the question of is this even important. It might not be important.

david starling

I've personally changed the gender of modern Aquarian Rulership to female, and identify her as Urania, goddess of the heavens and muse of Astrology. Works for me. You can see her without a telescope if you know right where to look.

Last edited:

david starling

The word "planet" originally evolved from the Greek "planetes aster"
or "wandering star" :smile:
and
specifically referred to the Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Jupiter, Mars, and Saturn[/U][/I]
whose motion
WITHOUT ARTIFICIAL AIDS TO VISION
could be detected against the backdrop of fixed stars
that are stable in their relative distance from one another
but all move together as one large group.

That's only one evolutionary line. Clearly, the one you subscribe to, which is fine with me.:happy:

JUPITERASC

That's only one evolutionary line.

Clearly, the one you subscribe to, which is fine with me
.:happy:
CounterEvolution.jpg

CapAquaPis

The male planets: Mercury, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto (including the Sun, treated like a male in astrology).

The female planets: The Moon and Venus. What about Ceres and Eris? Lilith too can be consider feminine. Only the Moon and Venus are traditional astrological planets with a feminine gender.

The farthest "planetary" body in our solar system, Sedna, is named for an Inuit goddess. Can we mention Chiron and the True Node as something feminine?

And I can mention the two halves of the astrological zodiac. Masculine signs: Aries, Gemini, Leo, Libra, Sagittarius and Aquarius. And feminine signs: Taurus, Cancer, Virgo, Scorpio, Capricorn and Pisces. And where does Ophiuchus fit in this gender identity astrologers can give them on the list?

The Sun (male) rules Leo (masculine) and the Moon (female) rules Cancer (feminine). However, planets Mercury (male) rules Virgo (feminine) and Venus (female) rules Libra (masculine). 4 male planets rule feminine signs.

Osamenor

Staff member
No. I did meet a frog today, though. Or was it a toad? He hopped right on my foot! I feel as if I have been chosen. Not sure for what, though.
Obviously, your foot was chosen by an amphibian as its landing pad. Maybe Mr./Ms. Frog/Toad liked you... or maybe it was just that your foot was there.

graay ghost

Obviously, your foot was chosen by an amphibian as its landing pad. Maybe Mr./Ms. Frog/Toad liked you... or maybe it was just that your foot was there.

That the toad (yes it was a toad, I've learned) had deigned to set its feets upon me is an honor of the highest order, still.

Claire19

I know that if you're looking at traditional astrology techniques, planet gender is pretty set in stone. The moon and Venus are feminine, the rest are masculine (though Mercury does as it pleases). You've got to admit, it's kind of a sausagefest. But when you're looking at newer techniques I'm questioning more (please move this if it's not right for this board).

I remember Waybread associating Ceres with the stuff of Ceres in mythology because, well, that's the way it's done. Newcomers Pluto, Uranus, and Neptune were all guys, Ceres a girl, though she's not been figured out or even deemed relevant yet. But does following the mythology necessarily work in this case? A lot of people associate Neptune with Venus. Is Neptune a feminine planet, despite it being named after a dude? You could also look at Pluto or even Saturn in some modern techniques. Pluto rules only the feminine sign Scorpio, and if you kick Saturn out of Aquarius as some people do, it's only ruling a feminine sign, Capricorn. If Waybread does more of her research and decides that Ceres should be associated with Libra and not Virgo, we've got a similar situation there. The very word "Uranian" was used refer to a "third sex", encompassing a whole slew of ideas before conceptualization of modern LGBT identities, and Uranus is associated with Mercury, which has its own fluidity.

Is this worth thinking about? Does it even matter?

I prefer to say the energies are yin and yang. Masculine and feminine is not quite right. Pisces yin sign despite being ruled the male figure Neptune.. Scorpio is yin ruled by Pluto yet again a male figure. Capricorn is a yin sign ruled by the male figure Saturn. Libra is a yang sign and not sure what rules that anymore. Certainly not Venus. Ceres is the goddess of cereal and harvesting of wheat etc and certainly belongs more to Virgo's stereotype.

david starling

I prefer to say the energies are yin and yang. Masculine and feminine is not quite right. Pisces yin sign despite being ruled the male figure Neptune.. Scorpio is yin ruled by Pluto yet again a male figure. Capricorn is a yin sign ruled by the male figure Saturn. Libra is a yang sign and not sure what rules that anymore. Certainly not Venus. Ceres is the goddess of cereal and harvesting of wheat etc and certainly belongs more to Virgo's stereotype.

I'm surprised that you're so sure Venus doesn't "rule" Libra, because I'm so sure it does. Although, I do have my own version of what "rulership" means. I'm very interested in the reason for your opinion.:unsure: