Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology

Natal Astrology A place to discuss yours and others' birth charts (after you post your own birth chart interpretation). Includes psychological and relocation astrology, houses, aspects, and planetary dignity and debility.


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 07-11-2017, 10:53 AM
yellowsapphire yellowsapphire is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 16
Why should i believe astrology? can you give some reason?

Why should i believe astrology? can you give some reason?

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 07-11-2017, 11:39 AM
katydid katydid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,862
Re: Why should i believe astrology? can you give some reason?

No reason. It doesn't really matter if you 'believe' in it or not. It's still here, either way.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to katydid For This Useful Post:
aleth3ia (07-12-2017), Bunraku (07-11-2017), CancerEvolve (07-11-2017), catowm (07-26-2017), Culpeper (07-11-2017)
  #3  
Unread 07-11-2017, 03:01 PM
wilsontc's Avatar
wilsontc wilsontc is offline
Senior Member, Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 6,719
astrology is not a belief, to sapphire

sapphire,

Astrology is not a belief, it's an observation. Many years ago people noticed a similar effect between what happened in the sky and what happened to people on the ground. You, too, can notice this effect, if you study astrology and follow the astrological rules. Whether or not you "believe" in the effect doesn't matter: as katydid mentions, the effect is still there regardless of belief. It's sort of like deciding on whether or not you "believe" in the weather: whether or not you "believe" in rain, you're still going to get wet if you walk out in a blowing rainstorm.

About astrology,

Tim
__________________
To learn basic astrological chart interpretation for your chart see:
http://learnaboutyourastrochart.jimdo.com/
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wilsontc For This Useful Post:
CancerEvolve (07-11-2017)
  #4  
Unread 07-11-2017, 03:03 PM
Bunraku's Avatar
Bunraku Bunraku is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 4,367
Re: astrology is not a belief, to sapphire

You can peer into the future
You can discern the past
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bunraku For This Useful Post:
CancerEvolve (07-11-2017)
  #5  
Unread 07-11-2017, 03:54 PM
miquar's Avatar
miquar miquar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North West England
Posts: 3,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsapphire View Post
Why should i believe astrology? can you give some reason?
Hi. I assume that you use the expression 'believe in astrology' as shorthand for 'agree that astrological lore is a valid - that there are correlations between the terrestrial and the celestial'. I would say that you can rightfully experience neither belief nor disbelief in astrology until you test it out. I could share my experience, but what would that mean for you?

Best wishes

Miquar
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to miquar For This Useful Post:
CancerEvolve (07-11-2017)
  #6  
Unread 07-11-2017, 06:38 PM
CancerEvolve CancerEvolve is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,679
Re: Why should i believe astrology? can you give some reason?

Astrology is what it is, not a belief.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 07-12-2017, 12:07 AM
aleth3ia aleth3ia is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 156
Re: Why should i believe astrology? can you give some reason?

You really shouldn't "believe" in it, you should test it instead, then you'll see it very magically works.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 07-14-2017, 10:07 AM
SaturnineExplorer SaturnineExplorer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 13
Re: Why should i believe astrology? can you give some reason?

I don't believe in astrology any more than I believe in religious descriptions of God. We are creators of our own being and circumstances of birth is merely the naturally explainable starting point. Astrology isn't about belief, but ability to relate to something in your chart and understanding quirks of other people who may or may not relate. Sometimes you can also draw creative inspiration out of it. Nothing should be followed blindly nor against your will however. Your choice!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 07-14-2017, 10:59 AM
obsidianmineral's Avatar
obsidianmineral obsidianmineral is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 474
Re: Why should i believe astrology? can you give some reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnineExplorer View Post
I don't believe in astrology any more than I believe in religious descriptions of God. We are creators of our own being and circumstances of birth is merely the naturally explainable starting point. Astrology isn't about belief, but ability to relate to something in your chart and understanding quirks of other people who may or may not relate. Sometimes you can also draw creative inspiration out of it. Nothing should be followed blindly nor against your will however. Your choice!
I find your standpoint to be confusing. You put everything in this grey line where you say astrology works since you can relate and can associate astrological placements with your own life experience but at the same time you're saying it's a belief and therefore it's bad since beliefs shouldn't change who you are cause you are the one who shapes your destiny. It's as if you're placing astrology in this awkward classification of pseudo-sciences that can be used (implying they work) but could also vary in trustability depending on the person (implying they do not work). It's like saying astrology is a way of telling how your life is using abstract symbols and generalized descriptions, that do work since they're generalized, and in that way it works and it's a valid method of knowing yourself, but at the same time it shouldn't be followed as a belief only as a method. Astrology is about belief, it cannot be only a tool. If it's a method that is based on prediction and fortunetelling then it must also be a belief. Using a tool successfully and then saying it's not a belief but a tool sounds logical, yes, but it's like not mentally agreeing with the outcome of something that can only result in success or failure. If it works then you have no other choice but to completely believe in it or completely disagree with it, there are no in-betweens. When you said "quirks of other people who may or may not relate" it really gave it third dimension of complexity where you're telling us that

A) Astrology is a prediction system that can be used to solve problems

B) This, however, doesn't mean it works.

C) In the given scenarios where it is used successfully as a tool (by understanding quirks of others who may or may not relate or by understanding yourself), it may still not actually work depending on the person who considers it.

If you actually understand others with astrology then they must relate, they can't disassociate themselves from something that's supposedly intrinsically valid. If physics works through formulas and laws, then it can only be a tool and never a belief? Can people actually do physics without believing in them? Or was it that you said "belief" as in "trust"? Do you mean astrology may vary in accuracy due to it being something subjective and therefore you should only quietly contemplate what it tells you but not believe or doubt it?

Last edited by obsidianmineral; 07-14-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 07-14-2017, 11:44 AM
Taurus9's Avatar
Taurus9 Taurus9 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 166
Re: Why should i believe astrology? can you give some reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsapphire View Post
Why should i believe astrology? can you give some reason?
It is up to you. I don't believe in astrology because it doesn't require belief. There are certain astrological patterns that I know through experience. There are many that I don't. Sometimes it is interesting to learn more. That said, sometimes the macrocosm is complex and overwhelming and not worth attention, especially when the answers are less resistant to you in the microcosm. If you know yourself more than you know astrology, it is a good thing. You may know yourself enough to not be interested in astrology.

Last edited by Taurus9; 07-14-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Taurus9 For This Useful Post:
david starling (07-18-2017)
  #11  
Unread 07-15-2017, 08:56 AM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 52,774
Re: Why should i believe astrology? can you give some reason?


Astrologer Judith Hill matched biographies and natal charts successfully when tested

Here is a quote from her website, and a link:
“......Judith Hill is an internationally recognized Astrologer, researcher
and award winning author of many books
with a lifetime of experience in all fields of the art.
She accepted a 1986 NCGR sponsored skeptic’s challenge and WON!
by SUCCESSFULLY MATCHING FIVE ANONYMOUS BIOGRAPHIES to FIVE NATAL CHARTS.
Her scientific research projects in astro-genetics and astro-seismology
have received international attention.......”
http://www.judithhillastrology.com/l...sed/88-welcome


Judith Hill did a very good study on MARS IN THE CHARTS OF RED HEADS
She did this study twice, both with significant results.

These links are informative and well worth reading
whichever side of the fence you find yourself on
http://www.astrologer.com/tests/basisofastrology.htm
http://www.theoryofastrology.com/eva...evaluation.htm
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JUPITERASC For This Useful Post:
HoldOrFold (07-25-2017)
  #12  
Unread 07-18-2017, 10:02 AM
darkmonkey87 darkmonkey87 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 25
Re: Why should i believe astrology? can you give some reason?

Astrology works because the planets have an immense amount of spiritual energy which effects us on earth
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Unread 07-18-2017, 10:08 AM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 52,774
Re: Why should i believe astrology? can you give some reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsapphire View Post

Why should i believe astrology?
can you give some reason?

Study astrology, read astrology, vigilantly practice astrology
that is the best way
and then
you can discover those reasons for yourself
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Unread 07-18-2017, 11:31 AM
david starling david starling is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Yes
Posts: 20,502
Smile Re: Why should i believe astrology? can you give some reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsapphire View Post
Why should i believe astrology? can you give some reason?
Perhaps you shouldn't. Any reason why you shouldn't?

Last edited by david starling; 07-18-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Unread 07-18-2017, 02:58 PM
conspiracy theorist's Avatar
conspiracy theorist conspiracy theorist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: clearing
Posts: 14,600
Re: Why should i believe astrology? can you give some reason?

I'm with Starling, no reason why should believe in it at all. Astrology takes a fair bit of investment to make any real progress in. Better to apply yourself to something that you think is worth your while.
__________________
Epoche
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Unread 07-18-2017, 03:26 PM
Chillaxer's Avatar
Chillaxer Chillaxer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 263
Re: Why should i believe astrology? can you give some reason?

Quantum mechanics and the ambiguities in the world. Filling in the gaps that rationalism can't explain, plus getting guidance.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Unread 07-23-2017, 11:40 AM
AllSeeingEyes AllSeeingEyes is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 24
Re: Why should i believe astrology? can you give some reason?

regular mundane happenings are not coincidental to me.. astrology proves this by adding a deeper meaning to interactions. Ever meet someone you "just didnt like." If you were to study astrology and get familar with your energy and others.. sometimes peoples energies just clash.. this is power of astrology at its best in the real world.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Unread 07-25-2017, 05:46 PM
obsidianmineral's Avatar
obsidianmineral obsidianmineral is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 474
Re: Why should i believe astrology? can you give some reason?

So, basically, when astrologers get asked why someone should believe in astrology, a lot of them say you don't have to. Really? That's like simply saying you've got 0 proof to back it up. We need more people who are devoted to this pseudo-science. Someone should start using statistics or something to atleast have something to back it up.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Unread 07-25-2017, 07:12 PM
david starling david starling is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Yes
Posts: 20,502
Smile Re: Why should i believe astrology? can you give some reason?

You either see Astrology working or you don't.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Unread 07-25-2017, 07:51 PM
david starling david starling is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Yes
Posts: 20,502
Smile Re: Why should i believe astrology? can you give some reason?

Once you get into the field of Theoretical Physics, very few can see it working. Lots of disagreements in the field.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Unread 07-25-2017, 08:18 PM
obsidianmineral's Avatar
obsidianmineral obsidianmineral is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 474
Re: Why should i believe astrology? can you give some reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
Once you get into the field of Theoretical Physics, very few can see it working. Lots of disagreements in the field.
So once you get to the field of "probably but not proven (theoretical)" physics, then there is a lot of disagreement, because it's probable but not proven. That didn't really add any kind of context nor information to the discussion related to astrology. The analogy doesn't work, you see. Just because something like string theory hasn't been proved yet it is likely that it could be proven at some point, it does not mean that applies to every other theory or pseudo-science is the same. If you truly want astrology to be more accepted, you'll need more than mere anecdotical evidence. Not only is anecdotical evidence scientifically useless, it's also based on subjective perception, so therefore it is subject to variations.


I think many astrologers are really easy to fool and manipulable. From my observation, I've seen that most people in this forum just think the pseudo-science works as a result of casual observation. They also tend to stretch the meanings and interpretations of everything included in a chart; I get it, astrology is more of an art than a science and somewhat subjective, but you simply can't use the "close-enough" thing everytime. There's so many misinformation and stupidity these days that I would advise many of the people here (and this isn't any personal attack to you; I'm speaking of the people here in general) to reconsider astrology as a whole.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Unread 07-25-2017, 08:43 PM
tikana's Avatar
tikana tikana is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
Posts: 12,826
Re: Why should i believe astrology? can you give some reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsapphire View Post
Why should i believe astrology? can you give some reason?
no one puts a gun to your head and says believe in astrology
there are some people who believe that earth is flat
__________________
I only read horary charts. Include your own interpretation. I don't care how desperate you are. I am not IKEA tech support or I will bill you $99.99 per minute
Christian astrology pdf
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Unread 07-25-2017, 10:22 PM
Culpeper's Avatar
Culpeper Culpeper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,183
Re: Why should i believe astrology? can you give some reason?

I see that this thread is just an attack on astrology and astrologers. You say that astrology is worthless and astrologers are all fools. Can you prove this? It appears as if you have the scientific method backwards.

Now to the original loaded question. No, you should not believe in astrology: it is not a religion, church, cult or method of divination such as watching birds or casting lots. Astrology is a science like chemistry; it is something we do for very practical purposes not some deity to believe in.
__________________
The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln

And the wild regrets and the bloody sweats, None knew so well as I. For he who lives more lives than one, More deaths than one must die. -- Oscar Wilde
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Unread 07-25-2017, 11:31 PM
david starling david starling is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Yes
Posts: 20,502
Smile Re: Why should i believe astrology? can you give some reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidianmineral View Post
So once you get to the field of "probably but not proven (theoretical)" physics, then there is a lot of disagreement, because it's probable but not proven. That didn't really add any kind of context nor information to the discussion related to astrology. The analogy doesn't work, you see. Just because something like string theory hasn't been proved yet it is likely that it could be proven at some point, it does not mean that applies to every other theory or pseudo-science is the same. If you truly want astrology to be more accepted, you'll need more than mere anecdotical evidence. Not only is anecdotical evidence scientifically useless, it's also based on subjective perception, so therefore it is subject to variations.


I think many astrologers are really easy to fool and manipulable. From my observation, I've seen that most people in this forum just think the pseudo-science works as a result of casual observation. They also tend to stretch the meanings and interpretations of everything included in a chart; I get it, astrology is more of an art than a science and somewhat subjective, but you simply can't use the "close-enough" thing everytime. There's so many misinformation and stupidity these days that I would advise many of the people here (and this isn't any personal attack to you; I'm speaking of the people here in general) to reconsider astrology as a whole.
I would say Theoretical Physics will eventually get around to proving Astrology works, and explaining how and why. Meanwhile, those who practice Astrology can do without the theoretical explanation. Astrology is already widely accepted.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Unread 07-26-2017, 04:20 AM
AppLeo's Avatar
AppLeo AppLeo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 11,565
Re: Why should i believe astrology? can you give some reason?

You should believe in astrology because people's birth charts match their personality's so accurately it cannot simply be a correlation.

That's why I believe in astrology.

A big "disconnect" I see between non-believers and believers it that the non-believers think that astrology only deals with the sun sign (aka star sign) and that the daily horoscopes are the only astrological predictions that take place. And they're right to believe that general descriptions of star signs and daily horoscopes are for fools... but they're wrong to assume that that's astrology is.

It's one thing to know that someone could have their Sun in Capricorn. But when you look at their birth chart, their Sun could be very from another person who has their Sun in Capricorn. Because you have to look at what house the Sun is in, what aspects are aspecting it, what decan the sun is in, the current transits... On top of that, you have to take into account the person's planet placements in the chart and the asteroids, and the ascendant, and the rulers of the houses, and the aspects between the planets... all of these different components in a birth chart narrow and pinpoint parts of a person's personality that a basic horoscope can't. And these narrow interpretations are super accurate and don't "just happen to work" or appear to be correct by the Forer affect.

And if you don't believe me, just look at your own chart and read it.

But no scientist or non-believer does because it takes a lot of work and time, and an open-mind.

And the non-believers that do read their chart end up becoming believers for life. I don't think I've ever met anyone on here or someone who has gone so deep into astrology only to end up rejecting it... they usually end up diving deeper because they learn more about themselves and everyone else. And because astrology is real (true, accurate, factual...)

---

And I noticed that people say that you don't "believe" in astrology. You either use it or you don't. I kind of feel like astrology is like math. You can use math or not use it. If you mess up a problem or can't find an answer to a problem, math isn't wrong, you just did the math wrong. And I feel like that's the same for astrology. When a prediction doesn't work, it doesn't mean astrology is wrong, it just means you fail to predict or read the chart correctly.
__________________
Reality will be the final judge of our virtues and vices

Last edited by AppLeo; 07-26-2017 at 04:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
astrology, give, reason

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005-2018, AstrologyWeekly.com. Boards' structure and all posts are property of AstrologyWeekly.com and their respective creators. No part of the messages sent on these boards may be copied without their owners' explicit consent.