Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology > Dignities & debilities

Dignities & debilities Board for discussing planets in dignities and debilities in natal charts.

Unread 08-22-2013, 06:34 AM

Re: Most elevated planet, how does yours directly benefit you?

Since dr farr suggested that my moon is Out of Bounds. I did further research in case if other members also are having Out of Bounds as the most elevated planet. Interesting to know that Victor Hugo, Stephen King, Albert Einstein have out of bound Moon also. Obviously they have other harmonic aspects to back up their out of ordinary creativity.

http://www.astronumerologywisdom.com...s-planets.html

http://www.astrologykings.com/advanc...ounds-planets/

http://www.forrestastrology.com/Gene...of-bounds-moon

The extremeness of the Out of Bound Moon, totally match with my reading on my Chinese astrology chart. I can choose to be real evil b*tch or totally inspirational.

“I believe there is something of the divine mystery in everything that exists. We can see it sparkle in a sunflower or a poppy. We sense more of the unfathomable mystery in a butterfly that flutters from a twig--or in a goldfish swimming in a bowl. But we are closest to God in our own soul. Only there can we become one with the greatest mystery of life. In truth, at very rare moments we can experience that we ourselves are that divine mystery.” --Jostein Gaarder, Sophie's World

Last edited by poyi; 08-22-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Unread 08-22-2013, 03:26 PM

In assessing planetary strengths in a chart, I have for years used 17 degrees or more of decliination, N or S, ("high declination") as a factor in weighting, in a way similar to a planet being in its own term.

I have limited my own use of the term "elevation" to "proximity to the MC"...that is, in a somewhat similar way to "rising," both terms then referring to mundane position.

In the case of Hiroshima, Uranus was "elevated" by this measure, in Gemini....the bomb exploded 2000 feet above the surface. When Tenseng Norgay and Edmund Hillary reached the peak of Everest, Jupiter smiled down on the them from on high.

The equator (measured by Right Ascension) is symbolically the center, or belt, of the Earth. It represents "normalcy" in a sense, what is common to all. High declination, then, indicates a "leaning out and away" from the common perspective, a particularly individualized manner of seeing and dealing with things. The higher the declination, the more exaggerated the lean. By holding declination higher than the obliquity of the ecliptic, a planet might be seen as beyond what is normally accepted, permitted, condoned, expected.... it may indicate genius of a sort, or extreme deviation. Dr. Farr uses the term "elevation" in reference to declination, as well as "out of bounds." I certainly agree that these conditions are significant and deserve attention in interpretation, provided we don't give them disproportionate importance.

Pluto, with its highly inclined orbital plane (17 degrees) can, when in or near solsticial signs, exhibit extremely high declination for long periods of time due to its very slow ecliptical motion when its nodes are at right angles to the solsticial points (when Pluto is at its own bending). During World War II it held its highest declination for this cycle at 23N22, very nearly as high as the obliquity of the ecliptic at that time. In the latter half of the 10th century its declination was 26N23...."out of bounds" to an extreme. In 28BC, when the Roman Empire was expanding its power and dominating the world, Pluto held a declinaton of over 30 degrees. In 1009BC Pluto's declination reached 33 degrees....so we see that the relationship of Pluto's nodes with the solsticial points can bring it to extremes of declination for long periods of time, and so it would be "the most elevated planet" during dozens of years. In 4013BC Pluto's declination reached very nearly 40 degrees...near the maximum possible. Too bad we don't have historical records for these ancient times to show us what effects might correlate to these extremes of declination.

Last edited by greybeard; 08-22-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:49 PM

In regard to most elevated Planet in one's chart. With Yuri Gagarin, a Russian man who was one of the first men in Space.

The most elevated planet in his chart was Out of Bound Moon in Sagittarius which was also the closest to his MC.

VERY Interesting reading of his chart here:
http://livingmoonastrology.com/tag/out-of-bound-moon/

He has been described by people who knew him personally as ‘full of good spirit” and “beaming like the sun”; keywords that would sound very appropriate in an astrological description of the Sagittarius Moon.

Surely, OOB Moon also in his 10th house, he became known by the world and his Moon surely had brought the world a lot of hope and joy of the long journey/bounced off earth (lol) he took.
“I believe there is something of the divine mystery in everything that exists. We can see it sparkle in a sunflower or a poppy. We sense more of the unfathomable mystery in a butterfly that flutters from a twig--or in a goldfish swimming in a bowl. But we are closest to God in our own soul. Only there can we become one with the greatest mystery of life. In truth, at very rare moments we can experience that we ourselves are that divine mystery.” --Jostein Gaarder, Sophie's World
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:59 PM

Is the elevated planet always *above* the Asc?

I have pluto in 11th (scorpio), but feel that my nep/uranus/sat in the 1st of cappy has more influence on my life. I do feel and suffer from drastic setbacks, passions, transformations from the pluto opposition sun aspect, but I am very dreamy and my personality is more influenced by the 1st house.. I also suffer internally from emotional/mood problems, which aggravate themselves in the cancer mars opposition my stellium in the 1st cappy. This aspect seems to wreak havoc on my life, and always stemming from some kind of relationship drama.
Unread 08-22-2013, 11:27 PM

Where the elevated planet is with regard to the horizon depends on the definition of elevated.

I define it as a planet in the 9th or 10th house, proximate the MC....so by this definition the elevated planet is not only above the horizon but in one of those two houses. The full and strict definition is actually even more limiting, but this looser definition will suffice. A planet in the 11th House does not qualify as "elevated," although such a planet may be referred to by that term in certain contexts...for example, in comparing the two ends of an opposition, the upper planet might be referred to as elevated over the opposing planet.

Dr. Farr uses the term "most elevated planet" for the planet holding the highest declination, without regard to its mundane position (that is, without regard to its location relative to the horizon.) This definition allows the planet to occupy any house of the horoscope.

There is no conflict between the two definitions. They are two completely different measures. We are talking about apples and oranges. Both are valid and useful.

For a comparison of the two in a single event chart, use Hiroshima (6 August 1945, 0815, Hiroshima, Japan.)
In that chart you will find Uranus precisely on the MC....and Pluto holds the highest declination of any planet at that moment, 23 deg. 29 min. north of the equator. Another interesting (and pertinent) feature of that chart is that Pluto stands within a few degrees of the midpoint of Mars/Neptune, the two planets that bind the "bundle" planetary pattern, and in fact is exactly on the midpoint of Uranus/Neptune. We also see that Mercury, lord of the horoscope, is stationary retrograde in the 12th House of Suffering, Sorrow, Mourning......

Last edited by greybeard; 08-23-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Unread 08-23-2013, 05:01 AM

Pluto also holds the highest elevation (by declination) at the time of the first man-made atomic chain reaction (the University of Chicago Pile activation, December 2, 1942, 3:35 PM)-this, with the Pluto elevation (and declinational Parallels) in the Hiroshima chart, and several other significant connections of Pluto in the Chicago Pile first man-made atomic chain reaction chart, symbolically point to an affinity of Pluto with atomic fission. Note too that in the Hirsohima disaster chart, Uranus is most elevated relative to ecliptic points (conjunct the MC)-and uranium (U238) was the substance of the atomic bomb used-there are also several important Uranus connections (actually combined Uranus/Pluto connections) in the Hiroshima chart (and remember, the atomic disaster at Hiroshima is the "birth chart" for the era of nuclear weapons)

Last edited by dr. farr; 08-23-2013 at 05:09 AM.
Unread 08-23-2013, 05:04 AM

I will add (although its off topic) that Lilith was atmakaraka in the Hiroshima (birth of the nuclear weapons era) chart...
Unread 08-23-2013, 05:05 AM

I wonder if any powerful men or women also have elevated pluto and Uranus while the pope might have either jupiter or Neptune I assumed or perhaps Sun also. The extraordinary people might have OOB at the same time close to MC.
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:35 AM

I would like to suggest, for purposes of this thread only, in order to avoid confusion...

That we use "elevated" to indicate a planet located at the MC
And "highest declination" to indicate that condition.
Or some other terminology that distinguishes between these forms of "elevation" without ambiguity.

And now, off topic for just a moment:
Pluto rules not only nuclear fission (and fusion)...
but such things as the union of sperm and ovum, resulting in the "death" of the two and their transformation into the one.
And supernovae where through the death of stars, the heavy elements -- the stuff of life -- are created.

There is a currently active thread dealing with Pluto, but because the thread has turned into a circus I decided not to post to it...
Pluto is very little understood and deserves a thoughtful thread.
From many points of view, Pluto is the most powerful planet in the heavens.
To answer the question in that other thread...Yes, it matters, very much.

The Hiroshima chart could be the subject of a thread from which we could learn much. The comments on that chart offered so far only begin to scratch the surface.

Last edited by greybeard; 08-23-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:55 AM

I like the the clarity of using "elevated" for the MC and "highest declination" to refer to highest relative to the equator-I'll follow that!

The "What does Pluto do?" thread in the Predictive Forum, offers a place for open and positive discussion of Pluto (hope that thread doesn't get trolled!!)

I agree, PLUTO MATTERS
The Following User Says Thank You to dr. farr For This Useful Post:
greybeard (08-24-2013)
Unread 08-26-2013, 01:59 PM

Location: fully tired of dry facts. Also, I live in a cupboard

I don't know for sure which is my most elevated planet, but i am 100% sure Saturn is in the top 3, as a capricorn with capricorn ASC, and the 8 aspects my Saturn makes with other planets/asc/MC, and it's position in the second House of Pisces

Then I think Mars is a big part of myself, as it's not only in exaltation in Capricorn but also in the First House, conjucting ASC, Mercury, Neptune and sextile Saturn. (and semi-square Pluto)

And after that I definetly feel like mentioning Jupiter, in domicile in Sagittarius and in the 12th House (so accidental dignity) and sitting right on the Galactic Centre too (28 degrees Saggi), in conjunction with my Sun. It really does feel like i have a guardian angel on my shoulder to help me pass through all the mess and confusion that i create sometimes! And I relied purely on luck and faith in the outcome of a situation many times without thinking too much (though here may be the influence of Venus too, or the sensitivity of the Moon..). But I have to mention, last time it didn't really work that well and i haven't yet regained my stability/balance after moving...

I also tried that wonderful free color horoscope from astro.com, and it said that Uranus is actually my biggest influence. I wouldn't have thought that, although i can definetly say that i feel acting like a total rebel in certain situations, i like things my own way, i do set trends sometimes (like i do/buy/say a thing, and this information goes through friend to friend and the next day, BAM, people doing or trying the same thing) i like being a little out of the ordinary with my ideas (i can quite an idealist, and a perfectionist, and a philosopher, lol ) with myself more than with others) i have sudden bursts of inspiration and i can be quite "electric" in the way i speak/react/in relationships & co.

I'm jealous of those active Jupiter-ruled charts/people

edit: ok, if elevated only refers to the planet that's closest to the MidHaven, then that surely is Pluto in my 10th House, in sextile with Moon, Venus and Uranus, in semi-sextile with sun and semi-square with Mars (first house)

Last edited by Andrea_; 08-27-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Unread 08-28-2019, 10:44 PM

What is special about your elevated Planet? What does it do and mean for you?
So reading through this it has to be in 9th or 10th to be elevated. To be in the category of MOST elevated it can be in any?

If that's the case my MOST is Moon Leo in 11th House. Sun (leo) is in Cap IC 4th House.....11th House Ruler Saturn is in First and Aquarius in 5th. So What does the elevation mean?
Unread 08-29-2019, 08:25 AM

I use "elevation" to mean "highest in the sky at time and place of birth". In 9th or 10th house, and nearest the MC.

The condition is more a measure of strength than quality. An elevated Pluto is a strong Pluto, but still Pluto. (Luis Donaldo Colosio, assassinated candidate to the presidency of Mexico.) Here elevated Pluto might be read as "powerful secret enemies [Pluto] in high
places [elevated]".

The powers of an elevated planet are "exalted", "stand above all else". They "come to prominence".

They are strong. They are not necessarily "beneficial".

I use high declination ("out of bounds") as a measure of deviation from accepted conventional norms, or "individualization". The equator represents the center of the bell curve; high declination the fringes. Planets in high declination "think for themselves", have a "different perspective".

Last edited by greybeard; 08-29-2019 at 09:15 AM.
Unread 08-29-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
I use "elevation" to mean "highest in the sky at time and place of birth". In 9th or 10th house, and nearest the MC.

The condition is more a measure of strength than quality. An elevated Pluto is a strong Pluto, but still Pluto. (Luis Donaldo Colosio, assassinated candidate to the presidency of Mexico.) Here elevated Pluto might be read as "powerful secret enemies [Pluto] in high
places [elevated]".

The powers of an elevated planet are "exalted", "stand above all else". They "come to prominence".

They are strong. They are not necessarily "beneficial".

I use high declination ("out of bounds") as a measure of deviation from accepted conventional norms, or "individualization". The equator represents the center of the bell curve; high declination the fringes. Planets in high declination "think for themselves", have a "different perspective".
Aaaaah i get u greybeard. You always seem to make sense to me. Must be the way you explain it all! Have you got cap/Saturn placements strong? Anyway so 11th doesn’t count 🤷🏻*♀️. Shame as I would’ve liked to use Leo ♌️

Last edited by Hkk; 08-29-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Unread 08-29-2019, 02:26 PM

I have Mercury biquintile Neptune, 8th to 4th, Air to Earth.
Unread 08-29-2019, 06:44 PM

Interesting resurrection!

My most elevated is Mars, just one degree from my Midheaven, in Cancer. Mercury is just a couple degrees further away though and is the highest by declination. Both Mercury and Mars are Out of Bounds. I treat them together as a most elevated conjunction, because they really are inseparable, never acting alone. Mercury rules 9th and 12th house, Mars rules descendant. Sun is in Gemini 9th, Moon in Virgo 12th (mutual reception with Mercury) and Jupiter in Aries 7th. Mercury/Mars are sextile Moon, square Ascendant, trine Pluto and opposite Neptune. Mercury and Mars are also parallel, with Mars contraparallel Uranus (Sagittarius 3rd house, also OOB).

Overall I'm very Mercury dominant with Mars playing second fiddle. Mercury ruling both Sun and Moon, while Mars is in its fall... Dominant Mercury certainly brings me lots of good Mercury gifts... I have a way with words and a gift for clear communication, good organisation skills and an boundless curiosity. Mars adds a certain boldness, fearlessness... I'm not very aggressive or driven, but I'll always stand up for myself and my ideals. I'm alert, blunt, and sometimes sharp tongued. I didn't use to see myself as very Cancerian, but yeah I've come to realize that my mind works very intuitively... The Mercury-Moon mutual reception also benefits me there I guess. I gather large amounts of info, but I don't analyze, I intuit. Unsually with good success. Any subject I really know becomes intuition rather than knowledge. I'm not always good at remembering details, but I tend to see the big picture very clearly.

Last edited by Domna; 08-29-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Unread 08-29-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domna View Post
Interesting resurrection!

My most elevated is Mars, just one degree from my Midheaven, in Cancer. Mercury is just a couple degrees further away though and is the highest by declination. Both Mercury and Mars are Out of Bounds. I treat them together as a most elevated conjunction, because they really are inseparable, never acting alone. Mercury rules 9th and 12th house, Mars rules descendant. Sun is in Gemini 9th, Moon in Virgo 12th (mutual reception with Mercury) and Jupiter in Aries 7th. Mercury/Mars are sextile Moon, square Ascendant, trine Pluto and opposite Neptune. Mercury and Mars are also parallel, with Mars contraparallel Uranus (Sagittarius 3rd house, also OOB).

Overall I'm very Mercury dominant with Mars playing second fiddle. Mercury ruling both Sun and Moon, while Mars is in its fall... Dominant Mercury certainly brings me lots of good Mercury gifts... I have a way with words and a gift for clear communication, good organisation skills and an boundless curiosity. Mars adds a certain boldness, fearlessness... I'm not very aggressive or driven, but I'll always stand up for myself and my ideals. I'm alert, blunt, and sometimes sharp tongued. I didn't use to see myself as very Cancerian, but yeah I've come to realize that my mind works very intuitively... The Mercury-Moon mutual reception also benefits me there I guess. I gather large amounts of info, but I don't analyze, I intuit. Unsually with good success. Any subject I really know becomes intuition rather than knowledge. I'm not always good at remembering details, but I tend to see the big picture very clearly.
Nicely done.

Tags
benefit, directly, elevated, foes, planet