Ascendant and Appearance - do they match up?

Do your Appearance match your Ascendant?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aquarius7000

Hi all,

The purpose of this thread is to gather some data and see whether the question in question actually works: Ascendant and Appearance - do they match up? How is it in your case?

So, the two points I am considering here are:

1) Do you look like your Asc. ?
2) Do you come across to others like your Asc.?

For instance, if you are a Leo Asc., do you have a thick mane, perhaps even wavy? Are you quite concerned about how your hair look, how you look, perhaps are even a bit vain?

Do people say that, at least initially, you come across as a bit arrogant, but also confident. Do you feel your pride gets bruised easily? Are you a bit childlike to childish sometimes?

Now, of course, not all points are going to match, so a Leo Asc. might not be all of the above, but most of it might (should) fit (if my observation works). Also, in case your Asc. does not really match your appearance, please check if you have planets in the first house and please mention that. Or, if you have recently done something to change it - perhaps because of a transit. For instance, perhaps with a Sag. Asc. you might have been normally on the bigger side, but perhaps due to a Saturn transit, you may have lost weight.

So, please make sure you look at what planets are around your Asc., especially those in the same sign as your Asc., and what planets aspect the ruler of your Asc. That is quite important

My point here is to see how far my observation goes in terms of actually manifesting itself with the majority at least (because there will always be exceptions).

In a separate post, I might a bit later give some brief pointers in regards to how I perceive the different signs on the Ascendant.

Last edited:

petosiris

Banned
''Yes, it does somewhat.'' I have come across it a lot of times, but I am still sceptical. I have seen some astrologers suggest this:

Let changeable signs generally indicate Mesomorph, fixed - Endomorph, double-bodied - Ectomorph.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ab/Bodytypes.jpg

https://www.britannica.com/science/somatotype

Keep in mind, those somatotypes are absolutely rejected in science today, as are all physiognomical methods. Also generally, the square signs differ a lot, at least in traditional astrology, the quadruplicity is not that strong of an influence, personality wise. But appearance wise it is quite ambiguous, so I am just giving this as an idea.

Other astrologers say (iirc Jyotish), short signs indicate short people, long - tall people, and there is also difference between the sign heights themselves. Works quite well in my experience. We need someone with data, I am lazy. The height of many famous people can be googled.

Last edited:

aquarius7000

Interesting.

In my case, I have a Leo Asc. with nothing in my first house or on the Asc. My Sun is almost unaspected except by Merc. (which is the case with most Suns).

I am of average height (under 5'5"), have thick and wavy hair, walk proud, have an open oval-to-round face, have been told to initially (unless people get to know me well) come across as sort of arrogant and over-confident, have a presence that fills the room. I can be quite childish, or child-like, and, yes, I don't like being ignored (hurts my pride).

waybread

I checked "no". I have Virgo rising, but look like anything but the neat & tidy type. Why? Uranus squares my ascendant. Planets squaring or opposing the ascendant or in the first house can seriously modify the rising sign's appearance.

I think, nonetheless, I do "come across to others" like my ascendant, because this also includes one's outward personality, mannerisms, and quirks. I'll let others decide whether I come across as a picky perfectionist.

Whoam1

I'm avg hieght and weight. Dark brown eyes and dark brown hair, kind of boney but I've put on more muscle, sharp teeth and a beak like nose. I look like a cap rising sometimes which is right. A Scorpio rising other times however, and I act more like the Scorpio rising. Venus rules the MC in my chart and Venus is in Scorpio, Venus and the MC/AC midpoint both are actually. Those are conjunct to Pluto through stellium. My sun/moon is in Scorpio oppose my AC ruler, and trine the AC. So Pluto and Scorpio slip into the MC and AC through the spiritual rising sign and the MC/AC midpoint (along with the MC ruler in Scorpio conj to Pluto). I think everyone should see if there spiritual rising matches there personality better as it is the place where ego and emotion meet (Sun/Moon mp) and for appearance look at the center angle (MC/AC mp) and see if they match better than the traditional AC.

aquarius7000

I checked "no". I have Virgo rising, but look like anything but the neat & tidy type. Why? Uranus squares my ascendant. Planets squaring or opposing the ascendant or in the first house can seriously modify the rising sign's appearance.

I think, nonetheless, I do "come across to others" like my ascendant, because this also includes one's outward personality, mannerisms, and quirks. I'll let others decide whether I come across as a picky perfectionist.
Would you care to define your appearance, which is a big part of how one's Asc. defines one, besides how others may perceive you. Also, where is your Merc. placed and how is it affected. Is it just Uranus aspecting your Asc.?

aquarius7000

Leo rising, long thick curly hair. I am 5’7 with big bone structure. I am very strong yet out of shape now. Still very strong physically. My face is oval because I am fat now. At a normal weight it is heart shaped and have been told I have cat like eyes. People always tell me my hair is beautiful which makes me wonder about the rest of me :( but still nice. I do not use hair products besides shampoo and condition and I usually buy expensive kinds and “all natural” kinds. I am probably mentally a child yes. My laugh is terrifyingly loud like an old man and have been told my laziness is almost at a resourceful level. So I guess that match’s but I am not very vain since I gained weight. I have giant facial features and giant hands and feet but my torso is a lot longer than my legs. I also have a very loud voice.
Very interesting, Love. That all sounds very Leo like, and I can relate to it very closely. The hair part, the oval face (although mine is mediocre, not heavy). Actually, I also have a loud voice, if I don't check it. I laugh wholeheartedly and loudly. I am not fat (yet) lol. I have a more prominent face and head, especially because of my abundant hair. Until a couple of years back, I had such a thick mane on my head that I needed the biggest band available in order to make a ponytail, and then usually they would loosen up so much after just one wear due to the weight of the hair that I could hardly use it anymore.:biggrin:

Love2Know

Very interesting, Love. That all sounds very Leo like, and I can relate to it very closely. The hair part, the oval face (although mine is mediocre, not heavy). Actually, I also have a loud voice, if I don't check it. I laugh wholeheartedly and loudly. I am not fat (yet) lol. I have a more prominent face and head, especially because of my abundant hair. Until a couple of years back, I had such a thick mane on my head that I needed the biggest band available in order to make a ponytail, and then usually they would loosen up so much after just one wear due to the weight of the hair that I could hardly use it anymore.:biggrin:

Lol yes!!! Me too my hair eats bands and destroys them. Leo rising power!
The child thing is the fact I can say “inappropriate” jokes. I try to lighten things up a lot in formal situations. Do you do that too?

Last edited:

GentlyJohnny

Pisces Rising with Mars sextile AC (within 3°) and Neptune square AC (around 4°) here. I voted somewhat.

I am of average height and average built, however my body (and face) is pretty adaptable compared to many, it's easy for me to gain weight, lose weight, gain muscle, lose muscle. It seems I look quite younger than my age. My hands are smaller than most (according to Google it's because fish have fins...:unsure:). Oval face with small forehead and thick hair. I tend to stare at the other person during conversation even though in reality I see nothing (I am oblivious in nature).
Long time ago an acquaintance told me that when she first saw me from afar (I was daydreaming), she thought I looked aggressive. Once I was carrying out a mental illness survey, the professor pulled me aside to tell me that she felt that I was interrogating the patients instead of filling the questionnaire; to this day I am still not sure what she meant by that except that the sentence "intense friendliness with nothing behind the eyes" crossed my mind.

Last edited:

Love2Know

Pisces Rising with Mars sextile AC (within 3°) and Neptune square AC (around 4°) here. I voted somewhat.

I am of average height and average built, however my body (and face) is pretty adaptable compared to many, it's easy for me to gain weight, lose weight, gain muscle, lose muscle. It seems I look quite younger than my age. My hands are smaller than most (according to Google it's because fish have fins...:unsure:). Oval face with small forehead and thick hair. I tend to stare at the other person during conversation even though in reality I see nothing (I am oblivious in nature).
Long time ago an acquaintance told me that when she first saw me from afar (I was daydreaming), she thought I looked aggressive. Once I was carrying out a mental illness survey, the professor pulled me aside to tell me that she felt that I was interrogating the patients instead of filling the questionnaire; to this day I am still not sure what she meant by that except that the sentence "intense friendliness with nothing behind the eyes" crossed my mind.

No idea what she meant but I daydream a lot too And sometimes I take long processing rules for example. This can frustrate people but I think for me it has to do with my elevatuation on restrictions people give me and it’s pretty obvious to them. Some people talk and engage in an intense manner even if it is pleasant it can come off as overly forced or intrusive. It also seems as though you were in a situation that can be stressful for others and they have their a guard up already. So any kind of perceived intruption can be viewed as disruptive.
This also really speaks to mercury and it’s aspects.

Last edited:

aquarius7000

Lol yes!!! Me too my hair eats bands and destroys them. Leo rising power!
The child thing is the fact I can say “inappropriate” jokes. I try to lighten things up a lot in formal situations. Do you do that too?
Yes, Love, I do too try to lighten up a serious or stifling atmosphere by throwing in sarcasm and often also a silly, childish joke. Of course, other factors start playing in as time progresses, like the Moon then starts to act up if the atmosphere does not change.

So, your Asc. is ruled by Jupiter (I follow the trad. school), and, with Jup. ruling your Asc., is is normal to have a tendency to put on weight. Look at the placement of your Jup. and how it is aspected. Any other aspects to your Asc., or any planets in the first house?

GentlyJohnny

No idea what she meant but I daydream a lot too And sometimes I take long processing rules for example. This can frustrate people but I think for me it has to do with my elevatuation on restrictions people give me and it’s pretty obvious to them. Some people talk and engage in an intense manner even if it is pleasant it can come off as overly forced or intrusive. It also seems as though you were in a situation that can be stressful for others and they have their a guard up already. So any kind of perceived intruption can be viewed as disruptive.
This also really speaks to mercury and it’s aspects.

It could be that; the energy I gave out was too much since I was really concentrating. I tend to "forget" blinking when I focus and now come to think about it maybe she felt that I was staring a hole through them. Also I have Mercury Libra square Mars Capricorn so maybe the way I explained the survey did come off as intrusive :unsure:

GentlyJohnny

So, your Asc. is ruled by Jupiter (I follow the trad. school), and, with Jup. ruling your Asc., is is normal to have a tendency to put on weight. Look at the placement of your Jup. and how it is aspected. Any other aspects to your Asc., or any planets in the first house?

I got Jupiter sextile Venus (about 1°), Jupiter square Uranus (about 3°). BTW what makes X sextile/opposite/conjunct Y instead of Y sextile X, e.g. is it Jupiter sextile Venus or Venus sextile Jupiter?

No other aspects to AC nor planets.

Love2Know

Yes, Love, I do too try to lighten up a serious or stifling atmosphere by throwing in sarcasm and often also a silly, childish joke. Of course, other factors start playing in as time progresses, like the Moon then starts to act up if the atmosphere does not change.

Yeah my moon and Venus is conjunct asc so that doesn’t change much for me lol jk I am pretty much how I appear though.

Love2Know

It could be that; the energy I gave out was too much since I was really concentrating. I tend to "forget" blinking when I focus and now come to think about it maybe she felt that I was staring a hole through them. Also I have Mercury Libra square Mars Capricorn so maybe the way I explained the survey did come off as intrusive :unsure:

Yeah I would be upset too if someone kept staring at me.

aquarius7000

Yeah my moon and Venus is conjunct asc so that doesn’t change much for me lol jk I am pretty much how I appear though.
Actually, planets in the first house, especially personal planets, if close to the Asc. and in the same sign as the Asc. (because the first house can be split into two signs, too), will almost always show up in your appearance some how.

For instance, if your Moon and Venus are conjunct the Asc. and also in Leo, it could increase your tendency to put on wait and to lethargy (another Leo trait). If you have your lights in Leo, you will almost always have a big face, unless your Asc. is in a sign like Cap, Gem or Virgo. If your Moon say was in Cancer, you might even have a heavy chest (these people have a tendency to put on weight on the upper half of their body before their lower half starts filling up). If Saturn aspects your lights or the Asc., it could reduce your tendency to put on weight. If Jupiter aspects your lights or the Asc., on the other hand, it will increase your tendency to gain weight easily.

Therefore, it is very important to see what is there in your first house and what aspects your Asc., especially via conjunction and opposition. It is also important to see what aspects the ruler of your Asc.

If you have Venus on your Asc., Love, I am sure you are quite a sweet person.

I marked "yes, it does" when this thread was created but didn't leave a reply. OK, now I will (since I like talking about myself lol). I'm Libra ascendant and I think the usual descriptions of Libra ascendant match me very well. My ascendant is right on Spica btw. Even though I can be a jerk on the Internet sometimes (on this forum too), in real life I'm usually a nice guy. :) I do come across as being very polite and speak softly, I smile quite a lot in public, I can be playful but never to an extent so I make people around me uncomfortable. Overall the impression of people who meet me is that I am polite, nice, friendly, non-aggressive (my Mars is not that far away from my ascendant though, so it's not always like that) and also a bit awkward, but that is not because of my Libra ascendant. On the other hand, quite often I can seem shy and sometimes I'm just scared of approaching people I don't know (or know, but not closely) because I'm afraid of giving the wrong impression. If I see that the other person doesn't enjoy my company or if I find out that someone doesn't like me, it's a real tragedy for me. I can't take such things easily unlike some other people. And it's not that my ego is hurt, it's more like me beginning to doubt myself and being disappointed with myself.

Regarding my appearance, I think I'm quite attractive (did I tell you that I am very modest too? :)). I have brown hair (facial hair noticeably darker), hazel eyes (they can look very green sometimes; in fact they're a combination of light brown, green and bluish grey), very gentle (perhaps too gentle for a guy) and somewhat fleshy nose and full lips (ascendant ruler Venus in Taurus speaking, hello) and a prominent jawline. I'm very slim naturally (I did gain some unnecessary weight recently, but that's completely my fault), have thin long hands and fingers and I've been complimented on my legs a couple of times (they are like this naturally). ;)

I think I may delete this reply soon because I can already see myself rereading it a couple of months later and being very embarrassed that I decided to post this... :lol:

Last edited:

Love2Know

I marked "yes, it does" when this thread was created but didn't leave a reply. OK, now I will (since I like talking about myself lol). I'm Libra ascendant and I think the usual descriptions of Libra ascendant match me very well. My ascendant is right on Spica btw. Even though I can be a jerk on the Internet sometimes (on this forum too), in real life I'm usually a nice guy. :) I do come across as being very polite and speak softly, I smile quite a lot in public, I can be playful but never to an extent so I make people around me uncomfortable. Overall the impression of people who meet me is that I am polite, nice, friendly, non-aggressive (my Mars is not that far away from my ascendant though, so it's not always like that) and also a bit awkward, but that is not because of my Libra ascendant. On the other hand, quite often I can seem shy and sometimes I'm just scared of approaching people I don't know (or know, but not closely) because I'm afraid of giving the wrong impression. If I see that the other person doesn't enjoy my company or if I find out that someone doesn't like me, it's a real tragedy for me. I can't take such things easily unlike some other people. And it's not that my ego is hurt, it's more like me beginning to doubt myself and being disappointed with myself.

Regarding my appearance, I think I'm quite attractive (did I tell you that I am very modest too? :)). I have brown hair (facial hair noticeably darker), hazel eyes (they can look very green sometimes; in fact they're a combination of light brown, green and bluish grey), very gentle (perhaps too gentle for a guy) and somewhat fleshy nose and full lips (ascendant ruler Venus in Taurus speaking, hello) and a prominent jawline. I'm very slim naturally (I did gain some unnecessary weight recently, but that's completely my fault), have thin long hands and fingers and I've been complimented on my legs a couple of times (they are like this naturally). ;)

I think I may delete this reply soon because I can already see myself rereading it a couple of months later and being very embarrassed that I decided to post this... :lol:

I’m really into this description.

Love2Know

Actually, planets in the first house, especially personal planets, if close to the Asc. and in the same sign as the Asc. (because the first house can be split into two signs, too), will almost always show up in your appearance some how.

For instance, if your Moon and Venus are conjunct the Asc. and also in Leo, it could increase your tendency to put on wait and to lethargy (another Leo trait). If you have your lights in Leo, you will almost always have a big face, unless your Asc. is in a sign like Cap, Gem or Virgo. If your Moon say was in Cancer, you might even have a heavy chest (these people have a tendency to put on weight on the upper half of their body before their lower half starts filling up). If Saturn aspects your lights or the Asc., it could reduce your tendency to put on weight. If Jupiter aspects your lights or the Asc., on the other hand, it will increase your tendency to gain weight easily.

Therefore, it is very important to see what is there in your first house and what aspects your Asc., especially via conjunction and opposition. It is also important to see what aspects the ruler of your Asc.

If you have Venus on your Asc., Love, I am sure you are quite a sweet person.

Hey, thank you 😊 My friends tell me I am very supportive. I really believe in others a lot. It is funny because I found out a few of the people I am instantly close with in person have Venus 1st house conjunct Ascendant. My soul sister has this in Taurus and everyone thinks we are sisters.

Anyways, some people really instantly hate. I have a lot on my ascendant I think. Ascendant Sextile Chiron and ascendant trine North
node. Ascendant trine Uranus and a few more obscure aspects to my ascendant.
Now I’m not sure this affects my appearance per say.
Now my ascendant quincunx Jupiter really affects my appearance and not in a good way.
So there is this viral video out now of an old woman saying “I’m just going to eat bread and desserts and get all fat and sassy.” That sums me up well.

Last edited: