Ceres

waybread

Thanks for the link, Flowergirl--hope you get lots of good "strokes." If you are able to keep a cat or dog, apparently this has the same effect on people. There were studies done in the earlier 20th century on babies growing up in orphanages. Those who were not regularly picked up and held by the staff failed to thrive like the ones did with regular body contact. Taurus would be especially sensitive here.

Flowergirl

Thanks for the link, Flowergirl--hope you get lots of good "strokes."

lol thanks :tongue:

If you are able to keep a cat or dog, apparently this has the same effect on people. There were studies done in the earlier 20th century on babies growing up in orphanages. Those who were not regularly picked up and held by the staff failed to thrive like the ones did with regular body contact. Taurus would be especially sensitive here.

My Chiron is also in Taurus (in 3rd house). That would explain where all the pain comes from about this too. It's good to be able to understand your self.

I've got a cat and he L O V E S his attention. Snubbing him when he comes closer for some TLC visibly hurts his feelings. Neglect is bad for anyone but I guess with Taurus in the chart it may be even worse. Guess I can learn from that... Thanks for this thread.

Last edited:

julia

How nice to hear from all you Earth Mothers and Earth Fathers out there!

Julia, a good rule for interpreting chart bytes when there isn't a cookbook to go by, is to follow a kind of protocol:

1. Think through the basic, core meanings of the bodies/points involved. Especially consider any commonalities between them.
2. Think through how these would express themselves by house and sign.
3. Think through the basic meaning of their aspect.
4. Consider aspects from other planets, as oftentimes a difficult aspect means the native will experience the more negative expression of the bodies/points, wheras a trine or sextile suggests they will express the more positive aspects.
5. Look at what is happening with the ruler of the sign on the house cusp.

So in the first house Ceres and Chiron affect your physical body and outward personality. Conjunct, their commonalities (grieving?, cycles of loss and redemption? issues surrounding food, if not eating disorders?) might be relevant.

thank you!

R4VEN

Julia, I'm interested in the sign your Ceres and Chiron is in. This will give some `breadth/depth' to any interpretation. I am very intrigued by this conjunction.

Julia, you may be interested in what is written about both Ceres and Chiron on this page.
http://www.astrologycom.com/aster.html
I think that an understanding of the mythology assigned to each body is helpful in getting to a personal interpretation. My belief also is that you are perhaps the best person to interpret what this conjunction means for you - we can only throw some ideas in your direction.

waybread, I have resisted even reading this thread, but curiosity got the better of me. I am pleased to see that with a new pool of forum members, the contributions reflect the `new blood', and this is really good.

Last edited:

R4VEN

This is a quite useful page describing Ceres through the signs:

http://astrotribe.tribe.net/thread/9f6ef309-ef7c-4c57-b30b-cc805d327951

Interestingly, I have Ceres in Cancer conjunct my Moon. My mother actively denied me food and put me on diets, plus made me take laxatives from as early as age 5.... (she also most likely had a Moon-Ceres conjunction in Virgo.) This has led to a lifetime of not knowing when I am hungry, or full, as well as extreme dieting during my young adult years. I can remember at around the age of 32 considering that food was my enemy!!! Now that is a twisting of Ceres, but it is the self-nurturing requirement of Ceres which is the antidote.

julia

Julia, I'm interested in the sign your Ceres and Chiron is in. This will give some `breadth/depth' to any interpretation. I am very intrigued by this conjunction.

Julia, you may be interested in what is written about both Ceres and Chiron on this page.
http://www.astrologycom.com/aster.html
I think that an understanding of the mythology assigned to each body is helpful in getting to a personal interpretation. My belief also is that you are perhaps the best person to interpret what this conjunction means for you - we can only throw some ideas in your direction.

waybread, I have resisted even reading this thread, but curiosity got the better of me. I am pleased to see that with a new pool of forum members, the contributions reflect the `new blood', and this is really good.

I have this conjunction at the sign of taurus at my first house but the cusp of the first house is aries. thank you for the link.

R4VEN

Julia I am very curious about this placement, and would be interested in your views/experiences with it.

Keep in mind that a first house Chiron is generally a `wound' of self esteem, or your individuality, and how freely you feel about expressing it. I notice that the description of Ceres in Taurus has many similarites with Chiron in Taurus. Ceres in Taurus will personalise your Chiron in Taurus, where the Chiron sign is one you share with those of your own generation. The Chiron in Taurus wound seems to be about value, and how you feel the need to express what it is you value. In other words, there will be Chiron in Taurus people who feel the need to accumulate materially, while there will be just as many who will express this by rejecting material wealth. One of my sons, who was born during Chiron in Taurus, has described the wound of Chiron in Taurus as a `battle' of survival for one's individuality. With your Ceres conjunction, also in taurus, your `survival' in the material world may - or may not - be connected to material possessions.

I am curious as to how you feel this conjunction is expressed in your life.

Nexus7

Interestingly, I have Ceres in Cancer conjunct my Moon. My mother actively denied me food and put me on diets, plus made me take laxatives from as early as age 5.... (she also most likely had a Moon-Ceres conjunction in Virgo.)

That is interesting, from my Moon square Ceres perspective. My mother got more interested in 'food fads' if you like, once recognising the reality of food intolerances, allergies and what-have you. However, she was pretty stern with me when I was small, in making me eat eggs, for example, when I could not stand them (however, someone recently pointed out that if I can tolerate them in meringes etx, then there cannot be a real intolerance). She probably thinks now if she had not made me eat eggs, I might have stayed a whole lot more on the straight and narrow in later life.....

There was also the very Victorian attitude that it was totally selfish not to complete a meal 'when there were starving people in Biafra.'

R4VEN

There was also the very Victorian attitude that it was totally selfish not to complete a meal 'when there were starving people in Biafra.'
Yes, I am familiar with the "starving children in Africa" line, which then meant that I ate the food she did put in front of me along with a whole lot of guilt about having enough food to eat. I'm sure that guilt creates something really twisted inside us.

julia

Julia I am very curious about this placement, and would be interested in your views/experiences with it.

Keep in mind that a first house Chiron is generally a `wound' of self esteem, or your individuality, and how freely you feel about expressing it. I notice that the description of Ceres in Taurus has many similarites with Chiron in Taurus. Ceres in Taurus will personalise your Chiron in Taurus, where the Chiron sign is one you share with those of your own generation. The Chiron in Taurus wound seems to be about value, and how you feel the need to express what it is you value. In other words, there will be Chiron in Taurus people who feel the need to accumulate materially, while there will be just as many who will express this by rejecting material wealth. One of my sons, who was born during Chiron in Taurus, has described the wound of Chiron in Taurus as a `battle' of survival for one's individuality. With your Ceres conjunction, also in taurus, your `survival' in the material world may - or may not - be connected to material possessions.

I am curious as to how you feel this conjunction is expressed in your life.[/QUOTE

I will try to explain how I see this conjunction at my life. I was raised by a traditional way. When I was a kid, I had everything I wanted but this did not mean that I was a greedy kid. I remember myself asking my parents "do you have money to buy this for me??" I was very mature for my age. Ever since I was kid I used to give advice and psychological help to my family and my friends. I liked to have friends, who were older that me. I was told many times that I had a special way of thinking. Now, I am 30 years old and I have developed this capability. I have a special capability to help others by seeing the real nature of their problem. Don't ask me how I can do. It is too complicated to describe this. I think that ceres in my first house means that I want to nurture the others. Conjunction with chiron??? I think that this is my wound. I never get used this. I always say to myself that I do not want this any more. Maybe, because it is painful to me or because I did not find my healer to my personal problems.
Raven, you are right. I think that astrology gives you some basic trends for your personality but you are the only person to adjust these trends to your life. Each person has his own experiences at his life. Thank you for your interest.

waybread

Interestingly, I have Ceres in Cancer conjunct my Moon. My mother actively denied me food and put me on diets, plus made me take laxatives from as early as age 5.... (she also most likely had a Moon-Ceres conjunction in Virgo.) This has led to a lifetime of not knowing when I am hungry, or full, as well as extreme dieting during my young adult years. I can remember at around the age of 32 considering that food was my enemy!!! Now that is a twisting of Ceres, but it is the self-nurturing requirement of Ceres which is the antidote.

Thanks for the link! If people find these descriptions resonate with them, I wouldn't suggest otherwise. But there's a point, with Ceres in "cookbooks", where it seems to replicate functions of other planets or chart themes, notably the moon. These descriptions seem logical, once one associates Ceres with nurturing and then pairs it up with the sign's major descriptors, but she doesn't always appear to act in a nurturing capacity (or its opposite.)

Apparently Ceres is prominent in natural disaster charts. In a Ceres thread on another forum once, a man whose posts I really respected said Ceres in his life seemed associated with periods of enormous grief. This latter possibility is consistent with the major myth about Ceres/Demeter and Prosperpine/Persephone. Mythological Ceres in fact caused a huge drought that threated human existence as a tactic to get her daughter back from the underworld. She relented only when she got her way.

I have Ceres conjunct Pluto, so the meta-narrative of alternating between alienation and wholeness, happy and bereft seems more in keeping, to me.

I have tried to look up Ceres in the charts of domestic divas and professional male chefs, but it is hard to find any with birth times. Here is one: domestic goddess Martha Stewart. She became one of the richest women in the world thanks to her product lines and media, but was jailed for insider trading. So far as I know, she still has her magazine and other lines, but at a much more low-key scale. Any takers for a chart interpretation?

Attachments

• astro_2gw_14_martha_stewart_19890_13387.jpg
    astro_2gw_14_martha_stewart_19890_13387.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 25

Nexus7

Actually I know someone who was a prefessional chef,with Ceres rising in Leo. Shealways said that cooking was for her 'an artistic expression.'

fushiafairy

interesting....my friend has been a chef for 13 years. His Ceres is in leo in the 10th house. Cooking is definately a creative experience for him. When he descibes it he talks about the color, textures, smells in such an artistic way.

Last edited:

juicey J.

Banned

This likely correlates with the moon square to mars/neptune.

juicey J.

Banned
Not necessarily. That placement does not relate to food.

(BIG SIGH):annoyed: The moon (mother) conjuncts ceres (godess of the grain and therefore connected to food) in square to neptune (deception/confusion as well as drugs) and it conjuncts mars planet of agression and violence. :annoyed: