Planets that make no major aspects in a chart

astro11

An unaspected planet is one that makes no major aspects, that is the conjunction, square, trine, opposition or sextile. Orbs for planets should not exceed 8 degrees and orbs for the sun and moon should not exceed 10 degrees generally.

An unaspected planet may still make a minor aspect like a quintile, quincunx, semi sextile, sesquiquadrate, semisquare or biquintile.

Do you have any unaspected planets in your chart, or do you know anyone who does? How does it express itself?

Doodleloo

In that case, my sun in the 10th house in leo is unaspected. But I don't know how it's manifesting in my life, so I can't tell you that.

astro11

Likely has something to do with your career then because the 10th is career. What do you do for a living?

katydid

In that case, my sun in the 10th house in leo is unaspected. But I don't know how it's manifesting in my life, so I can't tell you that.

I can kind of see how it is manifesting in your life. I might be wrong, but it seems that the Sun in Leo in the 10th describes your lofty career ambitions. You have set the bar pretty high for yourself. And that is a good thing.

Aspects to the Sun show how, who and what we can rely upon to help us succeed in our goals and ambitions. You have only the sextile to the Asc. So perhaps you feel that it is ALL up to you. You may feel like you have no deep support network to fall back on? That might feel a bit overwhelming at times.

graay ghost

So you are giving sun and moon wider orbs? I have moon at 3 Capricorn with only aspect Jupiter at 11 Virgo (and NN at 29 Sag, if you count that.) Venus at 29 Cancer with Sun at 21 Cancer.

Doodleloo

I can kind of see how it is manifesting in your life. I might be wrong, but it seems that the Sun in Leo in the 10th describes your lofty career ambitions. You have set the bar pretty high for yourself. And that is a good thing.

Aspects to the Sun show how, who and what we can rely upon to help us succeed in our goals and ambitions. You have only the sextile to the Asc. So perhaps you feel that it is ALL up to you. You may feel like you have no deep support network to fall back on? That might feel a bit overwhelming at times.

*shrug* I think, in this situation, it is very hard to distinguish what resulted from astrological alignments versus the cultural factors of my home environment and also the competitive atmospheres at my schools. I think environment definitely can attribute ambition even if a chart may not overtly show it.

Do I have a deep support network? Would have to think about that to answer that statement

astro11

So you are giving sun and moon wider orbs? I have moon at 3 Capricorn with only aspect Jupiter at 11 Virgo (and NN at 29 Sag, if you count that.) Venus at 29 Cancer with Sun at 21 Cancer.

Yes the luminaries have wider orbs, so you have moon sextile jupiter and Venus oppose sun. The luminaries are more powerful in shaping personality so their influence extends more to other planets. But keep in mind the aspect loses power the wider it becomes, so someone with Saturn oppose sun by 3 degrees will feel it more than someone with the same aspect at 6 degrees.

sibylline

I don't have any unaspected planets in my chart but I know people who do. It seems the planetary energy is either exaggerated or it doesn't show up much at all. For example, one person I know has an unaspected Mercury in Aries in the 9th hse (ruling Virgo Ascendant and Moon) and will talk non-stop. He seems unaware of how weary people can get with his constant barrage of words. He has a hard time focusing on one thing because he's always on to the next discussion or bit of information (I'm sure it being in Aries is part of that). On the other hand, an unaspected Venus in Aries acquaintance seems to shun all associated with Venus -- social graces, friendships, marriage, etc.

astro11

Un-aspected planets seem to rely on the house ruled by the un-aspected planet to pump its stuff.

What do you mean by "pump its stuff"? It will of course express itself like any other planet in the matters governed by the house it rules but what do you think sets it apart from aspected planets?

Kitchy

Banned
Doodledoo -
It means every dog has it's day. The house ruler of the unaspected planet finds it's place to shine.

If you're unaspected planet ruling house has planets in it - they do the talking.

It's not bad - they provide protection or expression of that planet energy.

IleneK

Premium Member
*shrug* I think, in this situation, it is very hard to distinguish what resulted from astrological alignments versus the cultural factors of my home environment and also the competitive atmospheres at my schools. I think environment definitely can attribute ambition even if a chart may not overtly show it.

Since it appears you may be newer to astrology, allow me to share with you that there is no difficulty; there is nothing to distinguish.
Your astrological alignments ARE symbolic and reflective of the cultural factors of your home and the atmosphere of your schools. The environment that you suggest may affect ambition is clearly, overtly shown in the chart's unfolding. That is the whole heart of astrology.

Last edited:

tsmall

Premium Member
Traditionally aspects by sign are counted, making it much more difficult to find an unaspected planet. And though there is a bit of disagreement among the texts (and current astrologers) as to whether it can only ever happen to the Moon, a truly unaspected planet is called feral, or wild. The criteria is that a planet will make no aspect the entire time it is in it's sign.

I actually have a daughter with a feral Sun in Cancer in the 12th, Leo rising. Venus, Saturn, Mercury, Jupiter in Gemini, Moon in Aquarius and Mars in Sag. She is...interesting, lol. Morin said that a feral planet "will act simply in accordance with its own nature...[and] indicates something unsual--good or ill--depending on the nature of the planet." With the caveat that in order to determine the nature of the planet we must consider everything about the planet; it's natural significance, where it is posited, it's phase, etc.

There was actually a very good discussion about this (which rambled on to other things, also terrific information) a couple of years ago here.

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66443

JUPITERASC

Traditionally aspects by sign are counted,
making it much more difficult to find an unaspected planet.

And though there is a bit of disagreement among the texts (and current astrologers)
as to whether it can only ever happen to the Moon,
a truly unaspected planet is called feral, or wild.
The criteria is that a planet will make no aspect the entire time it is in it's sign.

I actually have a daughter with a feral Sun in Cancer in the 12th, Leo rising.
Venus, Saturn, Mercury, Jupiter in Gemini, Moon in Aquarius and Mars in Sag.
She is...interesting, lol.
Morin said that a feral planet "will act simply in accordance with its own nature...
[and] indicates something unsual--good or ill--depending on the nature of the planet."

With the caveat that in order to determine the nature of the planet we must consider everything about the planet;
it's natural significance, where it is posited, it's phase, etc.

There was actually a very good discussion about this
(which rambled on to other things, also terrific information) a couple of years ago here.

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66443
Thanks for reminding of a great discussion

come back Bob_Zemco all is forgiven
:smile:

tsmall

Premium Member
Un-aspected planets seem to rely on the house ruled by the un-aspected planet to pump its stuff.

What I've found, Kitchy, rearing a child with an unaspected Sun, is that the ancients actually had it going on when it came to the ideas of mitigating aversion (which is what we stodgy old trads call planets that aren't in aspect :wink:) Commanding and obeying signs, seeing and hearing signs, signs of equal rising, signs ruled by the same planet. Often these days called antiscia and contra antiscia (though that is ony part of it), there are ways for planets to communicate with one another outside of the Ptolemaic aspects, though they carry their own delineations.

In the case of my feral Cancer Sun Daughter, Cancer "hears" Sag, which Means that while her Sun can't see a dang thing, including the Ascendant it rules, it can "hear" Mars. Unfortunately Mars was retro when she was born and in opposition to Saturn...we dealt with anger issues for most of her early puberty.

General comment to all, astrology is all about work arounds. The signification of needing a work around is important, but there are always work arounds. By and large, planets are concerned with two things; the house(s) they rule, and the house they find themselves in. They work the most immediate energy where they find themselves, but are hugely important in predicting what will happen to the houses they rule. If they can't see the house they rule, they need an aspect (or two, sometimes three) to get "testimony" and relay descisions about the parts of life those houses represent.

If you ever get a truly unaspect planet by sign, or any of the other methods of communication, then you have something rare indeed.

jsmi

I may have an unaspected Venus in the 12th house. I don't really see my Venus in my life at all, besides the way I view love. It's one of the few things in my chart I wish I could change.

ETA: My chart on astro.com does show an aspect. However, if I use any other natal chart calculator (astrolabe, cafeastrology, etc.) there isn't an aspect. So, since all but one say that I don't have an aspect I usually go by that.

Last edited: