Lost.

E

eternalautumn

300 gigs of music.

Countless important photos from 3 and 4 years ago.

Half of my astrology notes.

All to Mercury retrograde. I think it's worse because I have Mercury in Taurus natally. Gah. :sad:

E

eternalautumn

As a note, don't trust external hard drives for permanent storage, and definitely don't touch them at all during Mercury retrograde periods. :sad:

flea

I have mercR natally...so it is great for me....yet things happen to people all around me that impact on me. And the universe abhors a vacuum so will be interesting to see what the loss pulls back into your life.

Oh I have mercR in deteriment too......but I just dont seem to lose too much info.....Maybe it is because having too much info is the problem and forget to simply ....breathe.

FleaXX

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
EA: Are you sure the situation's irredeemable?
A similar thing happened to my son but in the end we were able to save his files...just a thought...
Lilly

The_Sundance_Kid

But maybe wait until after the retrograde period to try. Computers tend not to like me. Especially flash media player. Two computers and a lot of money later I still get flash crashes.

"Guarantee" my a**e.

E

eternalautumn

lilly: The device is recognized by the computer, but the actual drive doesn't show up in My Computer. I tried it on a different computer and the same thing happened. I've read that this usually means the drive is corrupted. However, (Sundance), I am going to wait until after May 11 to try again. I might still have a warranty, but if I send it away to be fixed chances are I'll lose all my files as well. So until this is over, I'm just holding my breath, hoping either that on the 12th it suddenly works, or I figure out a way to fix it while saving my files.

DJ, that baseball bat sounds pretty nice right now...

eedwards

This is funny as I am going through the exact same thing right now. Is your external hard drive a USB kit that you bought to use some old IDE drives? My drive is being recognized but is not showing up in My Computer. I assumed the drive had died as it is old but wanted to make sure, (also have hundreds of songs, etc.). I just plugged a different hard drive in and it is displaying the same exact symptoms...so it isn't my hard drive. It must be the electronics in the kit itself. Off to buy another external kit.... and back up my data. :biggrin:

E

eternalautumn

EE: No. I don't even know what you're talking about. Haha. I have a Maxtor OneTouch 500 GB External Hard Drive. And it's not working. Gah. I want to pull all my hair out.

flea

sat opp uranus.....electrical challenges?? This may well be irrelevant but i once spilt a glass of water over a laptop...upside down over night....but i did too some intensive rainbow reiki over it....crazy maybe but it worked in the morning!!!

E

eternalautumn

I forgot something. With some kind of foresight, I moved all my pictures into Google Docs. Thought I had found a "glitch" because Google has its own picture service. But it worked.

So I thought. Checking a few days later, all the pictures I uploaded were gone, and of course I had already deleted them off the hard drive.

Gah.

HeyPlayGirl

this just happened to a friend of mine a couple of days ago, he took his harddrive/comp to a professional and they were able to retrievewhat he needed and he needs to buy a new comp now..i dont know how that works but maybe u can go talk to a pro?

sowy ea :crying:

eedwards

LOL...sorry..I kind of "geek out" at times. I am trying to say that it's most likely not your hard drive...it's the circuitry that converts the drives interface to USB. Your data should be fine and recoverable.

EE: No. I don't even know what you're talking about. Haha. I have a Maxtor OneTouch 500 GB External Hard Drive. And it's not working. Gah. I want to pull all my hair out.

E

eternalautumn

Okay. So if the warranty's up (or I feel like voiding it), I can take it apart and put it in something else? Cool. I'll have to learn how to do that. :smile: