Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Predictive Astrology

Predictive Astrology This is the place to discuss the astrology of the past, present, and future. Includes eclipses, transits, progressions, planetary returns.

Unread 09-18-2019, 06:11 PM

Smile Re: How does Mercury retrograde affect you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamenor View Post
And how do you find transiting Mercury retrograde periods to work for you? This topic is about Mercury retrograde by transit.

The common wisdom is that people born during Mercury retrograde find Mercury retrograde periods to go the best for them. That's when the world is vibing on their plane. Do you find that to be true for you?
I have Merc retro. I think I'm naturally inclined not to expect everything to run smoothly, so I'm not taken by surprise when that's not the case.
I can easily relate to the term "SNAFU"(Situation Normal, All Fouled Up) as a standard description of life on planet Earth.

Here's a joke I found amusing: When everything is going perfectly well, don't be frightened. It does happen occasionally, and doesn't mean the world is coming to an end.

The Following User Says Thank You to david starling For This Useful Post:
Osamenor (10-26-2019)
Unread 09-19-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
And how do you find transiting Mercury retrograde periods to work for you? This topic is about Mercury retrograde by transit.

The common wisdom is that people born during Mercury retrograde find Mercury retrograde periods to go the best for them. That's when the world is vibing on their plane. Do you find that to be true for you?
Thatís a definite yes, when I go to cashier registers during mercury retrograde, I speak clearly, as in I donít stutter often. But transits only tell me that Iím not smart so I donít pay attention to it lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eanahsti For This Useful Post:
Osamenor (10-26-2019)
Unread 09-19-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
I have Merc retro. I think I'm naturally inclined not to expect everything to run smoothly, so I'm not taken by surprise when that's not the case.
I can easily relate to the term "SNAFU"(Situation Normal, All Fouled Up) as a standard description of life on planet Earth.

Here's a joke I found amusing: When everything is going perfectly well, don't be frightened. It does happen occasionally, and doesn't mean the world is coming to an end.
Wow this really helps, thanks for posting! Your outlook on life is so positive hahah
Unread 09-19-2019, 10:06 AM

I was scheduled to do a difficult job I wasn't experienced at. I gathered the materials I knew I'd need at the hardware store, and sounded serious when I asked the clerk, "What aisle do you keep the luck at? I'm going to need it, and I want to buy some."
Without missing a beat, he replied, "It's normally on aisle 6, but we're out of stock. The truck bringing it broke down.".

[The job went well, incidentally.]

Last edited by david starling; 09-19-2019 at 10:09 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to david starling For This Useful Post:
Osamenor (10-26-2019)
Unread 10-26-2019, 11:20 AM

Re: How does Mercury retrograde affect you?

If i may join in - i have RX in birth chart .. I do experience the odd technology fail and mishaps but that's also my life during direct - what is a regular thing for me during RX though ? : Revelations !!! Secrets unearthed , people's true colors come out, it's like a never ending festival of WTF , How the hell and holy mother of God ...

I worry about that specifically - we're only in pre shadow and it's already began .. Obviously Rx in Scorpio .. What else could it be ... I wont lie : i'm dreading it 😱😅
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phoenixia For This Useful Post:
david starling (10-26-2019), Osamenor (10-26-2019)
Unread 10-26-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Or does it?

With the next Mercury retrograde about to start, I thought I'd open a topic for real experiences with Mercury retrograde. Not just fears and superstitions.

Personally, I never notice a significant difference between Mercury retrograde and Mercury direct. Mercury-type things, like communication and going somewhere, don't seem to ***** up for me any more when Mercury is retrograde than when it's direct.

But some people say they always know when Mercury is retrograde because xyz reliably goes wrong for them.

Now, if there's a Mercury retrograde happening along with other strong energies that affect everything, I might be affected just because I'm around. For example, the last Mercury retrograde in Sagittarius involved an out of bounds Mercury, and that one was a retrograde on steroids. My workplace had a sudden crash of the phone and computer systems, which shut down the project we were working on because it was heavily dependent on those systems. (We did finish it later, but there were several days in there of not being able to work.) But that wasn't something happening to me personally so much as it was happening around me.

What about you? Do you find that a certain something always happens to you during Mercury retrograde? Or does it just pass unnoticed, except maybe for having it talked about on astrology sites?
I've traveled during Mercury retrograde because I have family all over the country and sometimes you need to travel on a retrograde unfortunatley. But based off of my experiences I definitely avoid it as much as I can. I always encounter some unforeseen issue, weather delays, overbooked hotels, cars breaking down, etc.
I also don't trust what others say and I myself try to be as transparent and honest as possible. I can't tell you how many times people have gone back on their word or cancelled an agreement with me they made during a retrograde.
I don't sign any contracts or make any major purchases. I personally have seen many people regret the houses, cars, properties etc. they buy during Mercury retrograde. They usually find issues with whatever they purchased and it becomes a huge headache for them in the future.
I also take caution in starting long term projects or even hobbies during a retrograde because I notice I often lose enthusiasm for the project in the future.
The best thing to do is to be honest and do what you've already been doing. Don't take any vacations and if you have to travel triple check everything. Don't trust anyone.
Unread 10-26-2019, 06:07 PM

Every day counts. Practically I can't stop for 3 weeks when certain operations or events are time sensitive. This Mercury period will fall in my 11th house, and there are some significant happenings in that sphere scheduled for November (11th house transits for the majority of Nov). I'll just have to observe how these events are affected by the retrograde and I'll report if this period further vindicates the reputation of the transit.

Last Rx in the summer was insane, but there were other directions happening at the time that explained the events more pertinently than Merc Rx, which I saw as augmenting the times.
Unread 10-26-2019, 08:05 PM
Senior Member, Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmytwothumbs View Post
The best thing to do is to be honest and do what you've already been doing. Don't take any vacations and if you have to travel triple check everything. Don't trust anyone.
One of the best trips I ever took happened during Mercury retrograde, and I only did minimal planning ahead. I went back to where I'd lived years before, I dropped in on some very old friends--a surprise visit--and enjoyed the revisit, the memories, and taking stock of where I was in my life now.

Mercury retrograde is a time for going back. It's also a time for people from the past suddenly reappearing, and so they say. That time, I was the person from the past who suddenly reappeared for some people!

Everything went pretty smoothly. In fact, I lucked out catching one old friend in town--he'd just been away and was about to move away for good.
Private messages welcome if they're either moderation-related matters or personal messages for me, but please do not send me astrological questions or chart reading requests. I answer those on the forum sometimes, and in my practice always, but not in private messaging.

If you would like to read my blog or inquire about my practice, please visit https://www.thebearsnose.com/

I also answer natal chart-based questions in its Ask the Astrologer feature. Submissions very welcome there!
The Following User Says Thank You to Osamenor For This Useful Post:
david starling (10-26-2019)
Unread 10-26-2019, 10:32 PM

I met a girl from this forum during a Mercury retrograde and the August solar eclipse of 2017
Unread 10-27-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
One of the best trips I ever took happened during Mercury retrograde, and I only did minimal planning ahead. I went back to where I'd lived years before, I dropped in on some very old friends--a surprise visit--and enjoyed the revisit, the memories, and taking stock of where I was in my life now.

Mercury retrograde is a time for going back. It's also a time for people from the past suddenly reappearing, and so they say. That time, I was the person from the past who suddenly reappeared for some people!

Everything went pretty smoothly. In fact, I lucked out catching one old friend in town--he'd just been away and was about to move away for good.
It's proven to be a time people will "go back" on their word as well. Or things won't go as people say. I'm in a situation now living with my father in law because he is going blind. About 3 years ago in April 2016 during a Mercury retrograde he told me if we moved here to take care of him he would build us a house next door, and he could find me a good paying job in a week. Neither of those things have happened. He still wants to build a house, but he constantly goes back on his word. Saying things like I'm gonna build a shop to help my friend whose a mechanic so he can start his own business instead. Or I wanna put a mobile home park over there for all the pipeliners in the area. Or we should put an orchard over there. And many more other ideas than building a house. Still none of this has yet to happen. thankfully I have a job and a place to live but without his help and I still need to be here for him. I'm currently re siding and installing new windows and doors on his house for no payment. And this winter he wants me to renovate his kitchen for him. He helps but he can't see very well so he's only so much help. This is an example of what happens when you enter a long term agreement with someone during a Mercury Retrograde.
Unread 10-28-2019, 02:38 AM
Senior Member, Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmytwothumbs View Post
It's proven to be a time people will "go back" on their word as well. Or things won't go as people say. I'm in a situation now living with my father in law because he is going blind. About 3 years ago in April 2016 during a Mercury retrograde he told me if we moved here to take care of him he would build us a house next door, and he could find me a good paying job in a week. Neither of those things have happened. He still wants to build a house, but he constantly goes back on his word. Saying things like I'm gonna build a shop to help my friend whose a mechanic so he can start his own business instead. Or I wanna put a mobile home park over there for all the pipeliners in the area. Or we should put an orchard over there. And many more other ideas than building a house. Still none of this has yet to happen.
That's an issue with your father-in-law, not Mercury. He sounds like someone who's always over promising and not delivering. Has he always done that, or is this a recent development?

Mercury retrograde isn't responsible for him being that way. But it is a time to carefully check details and agreements, and trust your instincts. If he's done things like this before, you would know (or at least your spouse would), and probably have already felt deep down that you couldn't trust his word. If you moved knowing that, you were ignoring your own senses. Unless he used to be a thoroughly reliable person who always kept his word and suddenly changed overnight... but usually, people who repeatedly make promises they don't keep and plans they don't follow through on have always been that way.
Private messages welcome if they're either moderation-related matters or personal messages for me, but please do not send me astrological questions or chart reading requests. I answer those on the forum sometimes, and in my practice always, but not in private messaging.

If you would like to read my blog or inquire about my practice, please visit https://www.thebearsnose.com/

I also answer natal chart-based questions in its Ask the Astrologer feature. Submissions very welcome there!

Last edited by Osamenor; 10-28-2019 at 02:43 AM.
Unread 10-28-2019, 03:23 AM

I don't think it does affect me. I've read if you have a natal retrograde, it won't really do anything since it's your natural element, but I wasn't sure if that's a pop astrology thing or not. Is that true?

In any case, nothing in particular has happened. Not out of the ordinary. Someone told me retrograding planets are closer to the Earth, so perhaps we're all given to a little more analysis, curiosity, and conversation, and thus that could lead to confusion and misunderstanding hmmm
Unread 10-28-2019, 03:42 AM
Senior Member, Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lykanized View Post
I don't think it does affect me. I've read if you have a natal retrograde, it won't really do anything since it's your natural element, but I wasn't sure if that's a pop astrology thing or not. Is that true?
Is it?

The only way to determine if any astrological "fact" is true is to observe and see if you experience it... if the condition for that "fact" (such as having natal Mercury retrograde) applies to you.

Quote:
In any case, nothing in particular has happened. Not out of the ordinary.
Are you talking about Mercury retrograde periods in general, or about a particular Mercury retrograde?

The next one hasn't officially started yet, although it's less than a week away, so the energy might be turning up.
Quote:
Someone told me retrograding planets are closer to the Earth, so perhaps we're all given to a little more analysis, curiosity, and conversation, and thus that could lead to confusion and misunderstanding hmmm
Probably so. And when a planet is closest to Earth, it's brightest in the sky, impossible to miss.

Mercury direct is like a highly competent office manager, who does their job so smoothly and efficiently that everything they provide gets taken for granted. But office management is the kind of job that nobody notices except when it isn't done. Mercury retrograde is when the job gets noticed because it isn't done. If it has any particular effect, that is.

But really, making its job noticeable is also Mercury's job. We can't really afford to be too complacent. We can't really afford to take too much for granted.

So maybe natal Mercury retrograde folks are really more aware of Mercury, all the time.

I don't have natal Mercury retrograde myself, but I have the much rarer Venus retrograde. Which is a whole other subject.

The Following User Says Thank You to Osamenor For This Useful Post:
Lykanized (10-28-2019)
Unread 10-28-2019, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Is it?

The only way to determine if any astrological "fact" is true is to observe and see if you experience it... if the condition for that "fact" (such as having natal Mercury retrograde) applies to you.

Are you talking about Mercury retrograde periods in general, or about a particular Mercury retrograde?
In general. I don't notice anything different. I'd consider myself well attuned to energy, but I never really notice a shift. Then again, maybe I should try keep a journal just for the sake of research

Quote:
The next one hasn't officially started yet, although it's less than a week away, so the energy might be turning up.
Probably so. And when a planet is closest to Earth, it's brightest in the sky, impossible to miss.

Mercury direct is like a highly competent office manager, who does their job so smoothly and efficiently that everything they provide gets taken for granted. But office management is the kind of job that nobody notices except when it isn't done. Mercury retrograde is when the job gets noticed because it isn't done. If it has any particular effect, that is.

But really, making its job noticeable is also Mercury's job. We can't really afford to be too complacent. We can't really afford to take too much for granted.

So maybe natal Mercury retrograde folks are really more aware of Mercury, all the time.

I don't have natal Mercury retrograde myself, but I have the much rarer Venus retrograde. Which is a whole other subject.
I have my own thoughts on how mercury rx functions, although my perspective may be sullied by the fact my chart is Mercury heavy even without the rx and because it has aspects that make it function in a not so conventional fashion

on that note, I have 5 retrogrades myself and all except Saturn act on my Mercury too LMFAO

I suggest Mercury rx I might liken more to the job getting done much more slowly, but ending up with a novel result, perhaps. Conversely, it could be getting the job done in a novel, unexpected fashion

Last edited by Lykanized; 10-28-2019 at 05:02 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lykanized For This Useful Post:
david starling (10-28-2019)
Unread 10-31-2019, 10:04 PM
Senior Member, Moderator

Quote:

I suggest Mercury rx I might liken more to the job getting done much more slowly, but ending up with a novel result, perhaps. Conversely, it could be getting the job done in a novel, unexpected fashion
That sounds more like Mercury out of bounds. Do you know if yours is?

Retrograde and out of bounds would be an extra wild wild card.

Unread 11-01-2019, 09:05 PM
Senior Member, Moderator

First day of this Mercury retrograde: I received a paycheck that had been delayed due to a major miscommunication between employer and their payroll service, and a refund on a service I'd paid for but not received.

Refund time! But it seems that the classic Mercury retrograde stuff actually happened in the preshadow.

Unread 11-01-2019, 09:22 PM

Iíve struggled to sleep all week. At first it wasnít too bad but lastnight I only got 1 hour sleep and itís now 8:23PM and now Iím crying. I know Iíll fell better after a good nights sleep but all week I havenít managed to fall asleep at a decent time. Now Iím crying but itís like a purge.
Unread 11-01-2019, 09:28 PM
Senior Member, Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukpoohbear View Post
Iíve struggled to sleep all week. At first it wasnít too bad but lastnight I only got 1 hour sleep and itís now 8:23PM and now Iím crying. I know Iíll fell better after a good nights sleep but all week I havenít managed to fall asleep at a decent time. Now Iím crying but itís like a purge.
What does that have to do with Mercury retrograde? This is a Mercury retrograde thread, and it's on an astrological board, which means all posts must include the relevant astrology.

Unread 11-01-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
What does that have to do with Mercury retrograde? This is a Mercury retrograde thread, and it's on an astrological board, which means all posts must include the relevant astrology.
I canít sleep and it started when Mercury started to station and has gotten progressively worse.
Unread 11-01-2019, 11:11 PM
Senior Member, Moderator

Quote:
I can’t sleep and it started when Mercury started to station and has gotten progressively worse.
Mercury retrograde doesn't cause insomnia. That comes from either what you've been doing or what's going on around you or in your body, or both. Mercury turning retrograde might signal the moment the cause is activated, but that's it. Has Mercury stationed on a sensitive point in your chart? Activating any planets or points?

If you consume caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, and/or other substances, and especially if you've been consuming them more than usual and/or later in the day, that could cause you insomnia. Or extended screen time, especially at night. Or major stress. Or energy work. You probably won't see that last one listed as a cause of insomnia anywhere, but I've had it happen to me, and it got to the point of not being able to sleep more than an hour or two a night. To this day, I sometimes have trouble sleeping after an evening tai chi class. If that's the cause, passionflower tincture is what settles it for me.

Unread 11-01-2019, 11:27 PM

Yes passiflora can help with sleep and live-wire grounding ;-)

Osamenor, you donít associate rumination, extra emphasis on cognition, mental activity, detailed reviews etc. with Mercury retrograde? I do, but have the retro natally.
Unread 11-01-2019, 11:32 PM

I've always had to be extremely cautious while driving, which I attribute to Mercury Retro in Pisces in my Chart. With this transit, I suggest caution for everyone, and patience regarding traffic jams, detours, and reckless and/or inattentive drivers. Be safe.
Unread 11-01-2019, 11:41 PM
Senior Member, Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by passiflora View Post
Osamenor, you donít associate rumination, extra emphasis on cognition, mental activity, detailed reviews etc. with Mercury retrograde? I do, but have the retro natally.
Not personally. But we're all wired differently. Maybe that is a Mercury retrograde thing for some people.

And rumination can be a cause of insomnia, if it's extreme. I don't know if this is what Ukpoohbear is experiencing, but some people get insomnia because they're thinking too much to sleep. Or manifest insomnia as thoughts. Chicken or egg question.

Unread 11-02-2019, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Mercury retrograde doesn't cause insomnia. That comes from either what you've been doing or what's going on around you or in your body, or both. Mercury turning retrograde might signal the moment the cause is activated, but that's it. Has Mercury stationed on a sensitive point in your chart? Activating any planets or points?

If you consume caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, and/or other substances, and especially if you've been consuming them more than usual and/or later in the day, that could cause you insomnia. Or extended screen time, especially at night. Or major stress. Or energy work. You probably won't see that last one listed as a cause of insomnia anywhere, but I've had it happen to me, and it got to the point of not being able to sleep more than an hour or two a night. To this day, I sometimes have trouble sleeping after an evening tai chi class. If that's the cause, passionflower tincture is what settles it for me.
Iíve had cups of tea earlier in the day but thatís not unusual for me. I hardly smoked at all yesterday but smoking a cigarette just now. Iíve not been smoking weed regularly for a while, last time was last Thursday where I also had alcohol.

I think itís the energies are very intense. It hasnít been bad, itís been productive but meeting a man last Thursday has made me a bit obsessive, he hasnít been on Facebook all day but was on WhatsApp at 18:20. Iíve tried phoning him. I sent him a message saying I think his disappearance is weird. Iím wondering whether a good night sleep will change my negative perception of him.

I did some energy work to try protect me from what I perceive to be intense universe energy. I briefly imagined light in white blue and gold surrounding me but tbh I usually just let things happen to me and only tried it tonight to try sleep.

Iíve had insomnia before where I stayed up all night even when knackered like I am tonight so I hope I sleep. I donít really know what to think anymore.

I donít think Scorpio energy is that important in my chart but it must be. I donít want to discuss my chart. I donít really talk about astrology a lot so I probably shouldnít be on this forum at all but I keep coming back because of mature people to talk to and friends. I donít know whatís wrong with me but Iím just very tired.
Unread 11-02-2019, 12:38 AM
Senior Member, Moderator

Quote:

I did some energy work to try protect me from what I perceive to be intense universe energy. I briefly imagined light in white blue and gold surrounding me but tbh I usually just let things happen to me and only tried it tonight to try sleep.
I wouldn't expect that level of energy work to cause sleep problems. What I did that gave me insomnia was much more intense.

Quote:
Iíve had insomnia before where I stayed up all night even when knackered like I am tonight so I hope I sleep. I donít really know what to think anymore.
Sounds like you tend to get wired tired. Ashwagandha is the herb that comes to mind for that.

Quote:
I donít want to discuss my chart.
Your chart is relevant to how Mercury retrograde affects you, or could be. If you don't discuss it, you're at a disadvantage here. Where in your chart Mercury retrograde takes place, which planets and houses it stimulates, play their parts.

Tags
affect, mercury, retrograde