Ascendant Sign Descriptions

dr. farr

As usual for me, my opinion both agrees and at the same time is at variance with, the excellent material presented above by Kannon: I fully accept the descriptions given (and related descriptions in the books on this subject) but it is my belief that they do not apply unconditionally to everyone born with that sign rising, but do apply if that zodiacal influence "takes" in the particular case; also, that the "taking on" of the zodiacal influence, with resultant characteristic appearance, is not relative only to the 1st house (ascendant) but MIGHT apply from anywhere in the wheel of the chart, where that zodiacal influence has "taken"; I have been led, over the years, to these rather unusual ideas, from consideration of the "3 sealings" (pre-natal) concept I have described in another thread, and also the ramifications of the "swara" (breath) susceptibility at birth, which I have also described (somewhat) in another thread.

eviltwin

Kannon,

I'm curious... where/which books did you find this information in? Like someone else noted in this thread, this could be a great way to verify someone's birth time.

Also, I'm certain planets closely aspecting the Asc would modify a person's appearance, so I'd like to look into the subject more. Any leads (in terms of books, websites, etc) would be very helpful!

dr. farr

eviltwin;2181Also said:
I also am of the opinion that the decanate in which the ascendant degree is posited (or whatever the degree which "takes", as mentioned in my post above, is posited) will have perhaps an even more specific modifying influence than that of the full sign, and possibly (as Jaimini vedic astrologers believe) even the duodenary (dwadashama) might contribute a further modifying influence.

Mentally I think Im Gemini rising, cause as I said Im always curious, have been studying my whole life, could speak at a much earlier age than all my siblings and easily learn foreign languages. Not sure about the taurus thing....Arent they heavier built? More compact than gemini? And thicker neck? My neck is long and thin, so they say:)

Physical trait of Gemini rising, is not only feel like square peg in round hole, but a gap in top front teeth, the singer 'Dana' had this and quite often also, the tip of the nose, if you were to put your little finger tip on the end of your nose would fit a little indentation? So couple more things I've picked up that may help

Aries rising more often than not will have scars on the head from childhood accidents and being boisterous...

Kannon do you have any female expamples for us to research??

Kannon

Kannon,

I'm curious... where/which books did you find this information in? Like someone else noted in this thread, this could be a great way to verify someone's birth time.

Also, I'm certain planets closely aspecting the Asc would modify a person's appearance, so I'd like to look into the subject more. Any leads (in terms of books, websites, etc) would be very helpful!

The Rising Sign Problem - by John Willner is the best overall. He does have some mentions of planets modifying the Asc, but not regards to appearance. *Actually this is not true, just that there is very basic, skimpy information in an appendix in the back of the book.

Last edited:

Kannon

astrologer50,

Sorry my examples were so heavy on the men. It was just harder to find good examples among females. I'll see if I can come up with some.

Originally Posted by astrologer50
Physical trait of Gemini rising, ... and quite often also, the tip of the nose, if you were to put your little finger tip on the end of your nose would fit a little indentation?
I have this indentation on the tip of the nose ... but I am Libra rising :biggrin:

There will always be contradictions with astrology, after all it's a science and art combined. We can only go off generalities here, if you have a planet conj Asc or in first house I would expect the 'presentation' to be modified

Kannon, do you use the decanates with Asc & MC? like Dr.Farr
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=218732&postcount=17

His methods are rather unconventional though. My idea/use of decanates is for exampel:-
Asc say 19' Aquarius would be Aqu/gemini then 3rd decan Aqu/libra
whereas Dr. Farr goes chronologically I think around the signs...

Another member posting this recently, it's a keeper for Asc -- let me know what your think?
http://www.astrofaces.com/astrofaces/index.html

http://www.forrestastrology.com/Audio-and-Video/The-Ascendant-Workshop-MP3
You can listen to author Jodie Forrest here describe Ascendants and planets in first house, even buy her audio on the subject

Last edited:

Kannon

Kannon, do you use the decanates with Asc & MC? like Dr.Farr
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=218732&postcount=17

His methods are rather unconventional though. My idea/use of decanates is for exampel:-
Asc say 19' Aquarius would be Aqu/gemini then 3rd decan Aqu/libra
whereas Dr. Farr goes chronologically I think around the signs...

Another member posting this recently, it's a keeper for Asc -- let me know what your think?
http://www.astrofaces.com/astrofaces/index.html

http://www.forrestastrology.com/Audio-and-Video/The-Ascendant-Workshop-MP3
You can listen to author Jodie Forrest here describe Ascendants and planets in first house, even buy her audio on the subject

I don't use decanates. They fragment the idea of holism to me. Each sign contains the order of the whole, not just its other element buddies. So no, I don't use decanates.

I do pay attention to dwads, but not necessarily for rectification purposes. I think you'd have to be an astrologer really knowing yourself well for it to work. Its too subtle. For example, my Asc is adjusted to 17VIR14 (from 15°) and I know that my Asc should not be in the dwad of Aries [17VIR30 - 19VIR59], but in the dwad of Pisces [15VIR00 - 17VIR29]. My sensitivity and subtlety ensures that.

I have known about the astrofaces site for a while. Its a great idea and a very well done site. If you look carefully, you can match things up and pick out the faces that don't belong with their rising sign category and fit them into the correct one. You can play a game with this by making folders on your computer for each category as they have and reshuffling the face pics to go into the correct Asc sign. You'll see "Virgo rising" faces that are clearly bold and blocky Leo rising types. About 40-50% of them need re-identification. If you look carefully, you'll see a pattern: that most of the ones that don't match with half of their rising sign mates will look more like the previous Asc sign, using the patterns/descriptions at the top of this thread. Its simple enough. Cardinal signs are more rounded. Fixed signs are rectangular or blocky. Mutable signs are longish or narrow.

Kannon

do I look more like Cap or Aqua...what do you think?....:unsure::smile:

Not seeing your chart and based on only this pic, I'd say neither. Sagittarius rising would be my guess.

Post a link to your chart, so I can answer more intelligently.

dr. farr

I myself do not use the elemental affinity decans; I use either the Manilius decans, or the traditional "faces" connected with the Chaldean order of the planets.
In my approach I first fractionalize and segment and use reductionist analyses to get down to all the numerous pieces and parts; then, the task of bringing it all into an accurate, synthesized, unified and meaningful whole is undertaken. Basically I try to follow the hermetic motto, Solve et Coagula.

cocoloco

Not seeing your chart and based on only this pic, I'd say neither. Sagittarius rising would be my guess.

Post a link to your chart, so I can answer more intelligently.

What would you guess my ascendant to be? LIbra or Scorpio?

ba69e620-6c80-44a5-b409-c11b8bb187de
3b2c6311-b842-43f8-9278-4725cdb543c8

Last edited:

asteroid

:sun: Asc virgo

the personality stuff is much closer to me than the appearance description and compering to other virgo risings i know they are far from this description too.

Doesn't mars and venus play any part to appearance too?