Transits - Natal or Progressed?

katydid

Personally, I have seen more accuracy with Transits to Natal placements. [But I know astrologers who swear by Transits to Progressed.]

I see a lot of value in Progressed planets 'transiting' natal planets. For example when a progressed planet makes a natal aspect become 'exact.' If you have Venus square Pluto, with a 6 Degree orb, and Venus finally progesses to an exact square----that is significant. If a transit happens to a placement that is also hitting by progression, then it is more impactful, in my opinion.

Kernowerno

Personally, I have seen more accuracy with Transits to Natal placements. [But I know astrologers who swear by Transits to Progressed.]

I see a lot of value in Progressed planets 'transiting' natal planets. For example when a progressed planet makes a natal aspect become 'exact.' If you have Venus square Pluto, with a 6 Degree orb, and Venus finally progesses to an exact square----that is significant. If a transit happens to a placement that is also hitting by progression, then it is more impactful, in my opinion.

Thanks Katydid, makes good sense, and I've recently begun to wonder exactly what influences such progressions have, especially in childhood, so a timely bit of wisdom.
Also, I wonder what you'd make of synastry with regards to progression and natal. I've recently seen a relationship begin under the auspices of a pretty exact progressed Mars to a progressed Pluto conjunction in synastry, and the relationship was very much reflective of a Mars Pluto type (obsessive, sexual, power struggles etc), albeit with several modifications by virtue of some interesting transits and natal synastry. How much credence should be given to progressed synastry as opposed to natal synastry in your view?

Last edited:

Frisiangal

When looking at transits, is it more effective to use the progressed chart, or the natal chart, and why??

A progressed chart on its own is not truly worthwhile because progressed planets are not always in orb of activation TO EACH OTHER. Consequently, nothing can occur.
Progressed planets are usually placed around the natal chart. When they are applying within 1*30' orb of a natal planet, their influence can become effective, for the duration until approx. 1*30' separation has been reached.
This is generally effective with the planets from Sun to Mars.
The orbits of social planets Jupiter and Saturn are much slower, yet through the course of life can definitely offer 'a progressed' influence.
The outer planets orbits are so slow that they vary little during the course of a progressed position lifetime. Their transits over a long-term period, however, are effective.

Some astrologers say that the progressions are significant of 'internal' changes only, yet they can bring about 'life changing situations'.

In her book 'Predictive Astrology', Bernadette Brady wrote that an exact aspect of progressed to progressed planet that are not aspected in the natal chart, bring about an entirely new situation associated with their functions in the houses in which the progressed aspect occurs. In this manner, a progressed fast moving planet could aspect a progressed outer planet.

A transit to a progressed planet to natal aspect could be seen as 'the necessary push' to bring about what the progression indicates.
E.g. Merely as (real life:wink:) example only.
Secondary progressed Sun could reach natal Venus in the 2nd house. If transiting Uranus joins in, some kind of unexpected, sudden , exciting, extreme event could occur that has an effect upon one's financial situation and personal values. Yet because the Sun is involved, the change will entirely alter the direction of one's life as it was until then, and will be in the future.

You didn't ask about solar arc directions.:w00t::biggrin:

Last edited:

katydid

Solar arc directions are very powerful. Back in the day, before computers, Solar Arc directions were very useful because one could quickly eyeball the chart and figure out important events in a person's life. For example, they have
the Sun in the 4th, 13 degrees behind Pluto, and unaspected. Just by calculating roughly, one can discuss with them what happened at age 13, to bring them a sense of loss or rebirth. I don't use them that often anymore and I should go back and review them.

Erulastiel14

I use both but I rely more on transits to the natal chart. Progressions are more personal since they're determined by your birthdate. Each person has a unique set of progressions at any given time, unlike with transits which can be universal by the generation you're born into.

But while progressions reveal how your potential will unfold based on your natal chart, transits tell you about the energy around you. So if your progressions have you feeling one way, but transits produce a different kind of energy, you might be in for a hard landing. I learned that the hard way. Progressions can complement transits and help you take advantage of the energy a transit is delivering to you. But I'd never look at progressions alone without the transits.

Last edited:

katydid

I use both but I rely more on transits to the natal chart. Progressions are more personal since they're determined by your birthdate. Each person has a unique set of progressions at any given time, unlike with transits which can be universal by the generation you're born into.

But while progressions reveal how your potential will unfold based on your natal chart, transits tell you about the energy around you. So if you're progressions have you feeling one way, but transits produce a different kind of energy, you might be in for a hard landing. I learned that the hard way. Progressions can complement transits and help you take advantage of the energy a transit is delivering to you. But I'd never look at progressions alone without the transits.

I think you said it very well and summed it up. Progressions are often internalized 'changes' but one needs transits to materialize the hopes/wishes/opportunities.

I remember when my friend had progressed Venus finally conjuncting her Jupiter in Libra in the 5th. She was certain that she was going to meet the man of her dreams and she could hardly wait---she was so excited. But I tried to reign her in a bit because she had no 'opportunity' transits to back up that love wish. She was having Saturn transiting her Cap Moon and it also was her Saturn return, with some difficult 7th house aspects.

It ended up being a profound lesson for her about appreciating the love/abundance that was already around her and not having unrealistic expectations flowing from that Jupiter /Neptune conjunction in her 5th. She began to see her long time boyfriend in a new light. :love:

Kernowerno

I like to see data when it is available. So I post this in case it might interest you. http://astrologynewsservice.com/articles/unique-study-links-venus-to-romantic-choices-people-make/

Thanks Arena, a very interesting and apt article. I could offer you several charts but I won't bore you. I've tried approaching several astrologers with the above mentioned specific with very mixed results. Perhaps it's due to the fact that the asteroids seemed to play such a major role (Lilith, Juno, Vesta, BM Lilith and Chiron), as well as key mid-points.., very complex.

Kernowerno

I like to see data when it is available. So I post this in case it might interest you. http://astrologynewsservice.com/articles/unique-study-links-venus-to-romantic-choices-people-make/

The article is brilliant, thank you. I was searching high and low for a Sun/Venus link by all the natal and progressed variables referred to for a recent and powerful relationship and could find none, however, the venus/ascendant links were very accurate. Does that imply a superficial link do you think? Also, progressed sun and natal sun links were spot on, as well as progressed (ruling natal) planets and progressed sun. I am quite amazed at the accuracy, and the article’s reference to title was somewhat apt, was that deliberate? :smile: