Mars transit in same sign, house and degree as in natal chart

julesss

Hi everyone,

my name is Julia and I am new to this forum! :)
I don't even know what to type into Google to find an answer to my question, so maybe you can help me:

I have Mars in Capricorn (at 26° 27') in the eight house in my natal chart. At the same time, Mars is currently going through Capricorn in the eight house and will soon reach the degree it has in my natal chart.

1) What does this transit mean for me? 2) And what is the name of this type of transit, i.e. when a certain planet is in the same sign AND the same house as in your natal chart? As I understand it, it is more than just a regular conjunction, right?

Thanks a lot for your help! I'm really looking forward to your replys! :)

Julia

spock

If a planet is conjoining its natal position of course it's going to be in the same sign and house. It could hardly be otherwise. But that's irrelevant. What's relevant is the conjunction itself, which lasts about three weeks. This is an age transit, because planets transit conjunct, square, or opposite their natal places at determinate ages, the same for everybody. Mars age transits can coincide with changes in your daily routine. This can include such things as changing the route you take to work, the place you bank, stores you shop at regularly. It can indicate the beginning of a new activity, such as a diet or a workout regimen, or something as mundane as rearranging the furniture. You might feel an urge to change jobs, or to move to a different house or apartment. It can indicate a new relationship and/or the end of one. Marriage proposals or separations can occur. Love affairs begin or end. Mars age transits sometimes coincide with decisions or commitments that manifest changes timed by other planets' transits. For instance when an astrologer turns professional during certain Saturn transits, that is, experiences a shift in identity, one or more Mars transits within the longer period of the Saturn transit will coincide with decisions that express that shift. That person might, during one of those Mars transits, put an ad in the telephone yellow pages for astrological services, or arrange to teach astrology classes. If a Mars transit coincides with a Jupiter transit indicating a new interest or enthusiasm (astrology!), a person might decide to take an astrology class or join a forum.

Mars transits don't actually predict any of these events per se, and during most of them nothing of note will occur. The actual effect of the transits is that during them latent dissatisfactions with our daily routine tend to come to the forefront and intensify, sometimes to the point that we feel we have to do something. But many times the only noticeable effect is a period of restlessness. One way to get a feel for the effects of these transits is to note what if anything happened during previous ones.

Last edited:

david starling

Spock, if you don't mind, I'd like you to comment on this idea I have, that a Transit of any Planet is possibly useable in a way somewhat similar to a Solar-return. An event-chart could be used to understand how you recessively relate to that Planet until it returns again (although the Natal-chart configuration would still be dominant). I'm going to try it with Jupiter, which plays a major role in my Natal-chart. In this case, it very likely would change Houses. Is this a known technique, in your experience? :unsure: (Btw, agreement with this technique not necessary!) :biggrin:

Last edited:

spock

Spock, if you don't mind, I'd like you to comment on this idea I have, that a Transit of any Planet is possibly useable in a way somewhat similar to a Solar-return. An event-chart could be used to understand how you recessively relate to that Planet until it returns again (although the Natal-chart configuration would still be dominant). I'm going to try it with Jupiter, which plays a major role in my Natal-chart. In this case, it very likely would change Houses. Is this a known technique, in your experience? :unsure: (Btw, agreement with this technique not necessary!) :biggrin:
It's a known technique but not one that's widely used. Over the last forty years or so I've seen it suggested or asked about a number of times. A typical instance from the reader written quarterly The Mercury Hour: "Since we have Solar and Lunar returns, are there such things as Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn returns?" Years later I used that question as the basis for an article titled Returns vs Returns, which subsequently appeared on the website A Place In Space under the title The Astrology of Childhood: Transits and Turning Points. Clicking on that link will give you my answer to the question whether any transiting planet conjoining its natal place can be treated as a chart to be interpreted similar to a Solar return. The short answer is no it can't, because Solar and Lunar returns are not themselves, in my opinion, valid. Astrologers have overgeneralized the idea of the chart — natal charts, event charts, ingress charts, return charts — as a basis for interpretation, rather than simply observing that certain kinds of developments tend to coincide with or closely follow a given recurring transit, and inferring from that the effects of the transit. (The developmental psychology material in that article is updated in my article After Symbolism linked below.)

Last edited:

david starling

It's a known technique but not one that's widely used. Over the last forty years or so I've seen it suggested or asked about a number of times. A typical instance from the reader written quarterly The Mercury Hour: "Since we have Solar and Lunar returns, are there such things as Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn returns?" Years later I used that question as the basis for an article titled Returns vs Returns, which subsequently appeared on the website A Place In Space under the title The Astrology of Childhood: Transits and Turning Points. Clicking on that link will give you my answer to the question whether any transiting planet conjoining its natal place can be treated as a chart to be interpreted similar to a Solar return. The short answer is no it can't, because Solar and Lunar returns are not themselves, in my opinion, valid. Astrologers have overgeneralized the idea of the chart — natal charts, event charts, ingress charts, return charts — as a basis for interpretation, rather than simply observing that certain kinds of developments tend to coincide with or closely follow a given recurring transit, and inferring from that the effects of the transit. (The developmental psychology material in that article is updated in my article After Symbolism linked below.)

Over the past 50 years, I've found the SR Moon location to be very accurate, even in retrospect when I wasn't subjectively validating it. "Year-Moons" as I used to call them (meaning SR Moon-sign), seem to work for others, also. Thanks for the link--I'll read your article. Since you seem to be extremely logical, here's another question, if you don't mind: Why consider Retrograde-movement in a Natal-chart, since the Planets don't objectively reverse direction, and a snapshot Chart is, by definition, devoid of movement?

david starling

Spock, read your well-considered article, and although I still believe the Return-charts have merit, I'm now thinking in terms of Square locations as imprints, instead of Conjunct-only Charts. I was amused to find that something I thought was a new idea of my own (i.e. Planetary-return Charts), was already an Astrological theory.:smile: Thanks for the information!

Last edited:

katydid

It is called a MARS RETURN and it happens about every 2 years. It is like a 'RESET' upon your goals/ambitions.

http://www.lynnkoiner.com/astrology-articles/transiting-mars
Mars Return— According to John Townley, “The individual often finds (the Mars Return) this a time of new projects and commitments, often accompanied by higher pay status and the increased responsibility and time/expenditure that such change of status often requires. Naturally, it is a good time to start a new job or project and, conversely, new jobs and projects just seem to turn up at this time.” I personally relate this to the fact that the energy level is higher and this energy or charisma is attractive to others— you project yourself with greater confidence, your aura is stronger and there is a radiance that is attractive to others. This explains why it is easier to get a job during the Mars Return.

Healthwise, recuperative abilities are enhanced at this time as well.

spock

Why consider Retrograde-movement in a Natal-chart, since the Planets don't objectively reverse direction, and a snapshot Chart is, by definition, devoid of movement?
A planet's “position” is its direction from the earth in the plane of the ecliptic, and over time that direction changes, moving in a counter clockwise manner (as seen from above the ecliptic) that describes a circle in which the planet eventually returns to the same direction/position. But sometimes that direction change moves in a clockwise direction, aka retrograde motion, and that is an objective fact.

A snapshot of the solar system — a chart — shows where the planets were at a given instant, but the fact that we can specify a distinct location at that instant doesn't mean they weren't moving. Many astrologers think that the direction in which a planet was moving at that moment makes a difference in interpreting its effect in the house or sign it's in, or the effect of any aspect it's a part of. You can disagree with that, as I do, and for that reason refrain from noting whether planets in the chart are retrograde or in direct motion, but the reasons you give are in my opinion flawed.

david starling

A planet's “position” is its direction from the earth in the plane of the ecliptic, and over time that direction changes, moving in a counter clockwise manner (as seen from above the ecliptic) that describes a circle in which the planet eventually returns to the same direction/position. But sometimes that direction change moves in a clockwise direction, aka retrograde motion, and that is an objective fact.

A snapshot of the solar system — a chart — shows where the planets were at a given instant, but the fact that we can specify a distinct location at that instant doesn't mean they weren't moving. Many astrologers think that the direction in which a planet was moving at that moment makes a difference in interpreting its effect in the house or sign it's in, or the effect of any aspect it's a part of. You can disagree with that, as I do, and for that reason refrain from noting whether planets in the chart are retrograde or in direct motion, but the reasons you give are in my opinion flawed.

Not seeing the flaw. A still picture simply doesn't SHOW movement. Period. That's even from the Subjective point of view. Knowing there IS movement doesn't change that. I do use direction for Transits, even though from the Objective point of view, they really don't change the direction of their orbit; and it's ABSOLUTELY necessary for Horary divination, even though that's a snapshot as well. Those "distinct" locations are my sole basis for Natal-chart interpretation and have nothing to do with past and future movement, whereas "Transit" MEANS "movement".
Uh, nice to meet a fellow heretic btw! :lol: Thanks for your answer, even though you don't agree with my reasoning. You do realize, I'm sure, how important Direct/Retrograde is to nearly all Astrologers. I played with it myself, until I realized there's no way to really tell if it works. [IMO] As far as I know, there's no Inquisition for Astrological heresy! :alien:

Last edited: