Dream symbol help please

R4VEN

This dream was only last night. It was a `journey dream', in that I was passing along a series of roads in England (I don't live there, but my heritage is English) on my way to `somewhere else'.

Just before I reached a crossroads at the top of the hill (and from which I took the path ahead) I saw a strange thing by the side of the road. Between the footpath and the sealed section of road was a large boat made from large curved wooden planks - actually it looked like drawings I have seen of Noah's Ark - and the bottom part of the hull was cemented into the gound, so that it sat upright and steady. It had been converted into a home, and there were windows with curtains along the sides. It looked very warm and homey, and I could not stop thinking about it for the remainder of the dream. Mostly I was thinking about how much I would like to live in that boat, but also womdering why they put it so close to the road and the passing traffic, when there were empty fields either side of the road.

Any ideas?

fushiafairy

Crossroads have been traditional places of power. I have lived at cross streets for 28 years with the exception of one year. That has been 5 houses now. I plan on being in this one for many years. Crossroads attract people attuned to energy and thoses seeking it.
would you like to live on a houseboat or near the ocean. Do you long for more space around your home?
Maybe the boat seems cozy and you long for a smaller more intimate home.
It could not be your physical home at all, but spiritual practices or connections.
The journey isn't over yet.

Mark

Another thing worth noting is that a boat embedded into the ground with cement will not float. It seems like a symbol of an ended journey, turned into a monument to itself. You're on a new journey now, passing by and remembering an old journey. It could be a literalistic symbol of a past life experience, a symbol of your own personal development, or a symbol of the development of mankind as a whole. The first two worlds were destroyed by earth (eruptions and movments) and ice, respectively. The third world was destroyed with water and the escape from it was in an ark. The fourth, present world will be destroyed with fire. So, it seems that the grounded boat might represent a previous stage of development, either of yours or the world.

R4VEN

Thanks to you both - fushiafairy and Mark - for your replies.

I had tended to get stuck on the idea of the boat looking like the ark - so what you wrote resonates for me, Mark. I am definitely at the cusp of a new stage in my life. I'm still allowing the symbols of that dream to `talk' to me.

Skillcoil

It might have been close to the road so that your spiritual journey has a path to move, and the traffic is external influences which inevitably exists along the way. The ark itself is nice and comforting, but if it was moved to the empty fields, it wouldn't have the external discomforts (traffic) as motivation. The ark might be a symbol for inner spirituality, a realm that is always there and is solid. It could withstand the external conflicts, it's a safe area that has the strength to exist and protect in the midst of traffic.

R4VEN

Thanks, Skill.......

That does make sense to me.

I also recognise that the `familiarity' and attraction of the ark itself also symbolises how I have tended to live out my emotional life - stuck in something safe and `nice', but just outside the flow (eg traffic) I have a need to enter the flow of things, and this is a bit confronting.

dr. farr

Roads, arks, crossroads-certainly all strongly symbolic of Mercury; I would look at where your progressed Mercury is at, and where its about to go; also at the natal house Mercury is transiting at this time, and the sign/house it will be transiting next. Also check into what's transiting your 3rd and 9th natal houses (and also what might have progressed into them), as these relate to roads, travels, journeys (9th including also spiritual journeys)...Mercury, symbolically, is the key to this dream...

R4VEN

Thanks for that post, dr farr. Mercury progr is certainly at an interesting place.

Strangely, I had not even considered looking at my own astrology.

R4VEN

(I'm sure I replied to your post yesterday, EJ. Perhaps I only dreamed that I replied to it!)

Thanks for that.

The words, "remain true to yourself" are very timely at present. Recently I have been deluged with memories of the times when I was forced (usually by a parent) to be someone other than who I am, resulting in the blurring between me/not me.

waybread

There is a big relationship between astrological transits and dreams. I kept a dream journal for several years at the time I was teaching myself astrology. I found that transits from planets during the night of a dream, or transits involving natal positions of a planet were relevant. It helps if you have a book of astrological rulerships (like Rex E. Bils, The Rulership Book) because then you can look up more esoteric dream images.

I found the moon, Pluto, and Neptune to figure prominently in astrological dream analysis--unsurprisingly, since these are planets of the subconscious.

I agree with Dr. Farr that your travel and crossroads imagery is highly Mercurial. In ancient Greece and Rome, apparently statues or "herms" [=Hermes] were located at crossroads. Crossroads were also ruled by the goddess Hekate, a figure superceded by Pluto.

Just possibly Pisces or Cancer would be prominent on the night of your dream, as well.

Your dream seems so lovely! Noah's ark was a place of shelter and survival of all the animals. Its landing heralded a new covenant with God and humanity, signified by the rainbow. In your dream, it would seem to signify a wandering soul ready to set down comfort and roots.

Maybe see how much of this imagery you can incorporate into your waking world.

R4VEN

Your dream seems so lovely! Noah's ark was a place of shelter and survival of all the animals. Its landing heralded a new covenant with God and humanity, signified by the rainbow. In your dream, it would seem to signify a wandering soul ready to set down comfort and roots.

Maybe see how much of this imagery you can incorporate into your waking world.
That sounds pretty spot-on, waybread. I have spent my life until now in `survival mode', and am ready to be more grounded in the here & now in my life. `Surviving' day to day, year to year is fine when young, which I am no longer.

waybread, I can remember a thread I began (with some trepidation) around 18-20 months ago in which I stripped bare my relationship with my mother. Your `advice' at the time was that the answer was in my MNN in Taurus in the 4th. I can now see that this dream is essentially saying the same thing.

Thanks to all posters for your wisdom. Every little bit of information has helped. :love:

[And it's ironic that the full moon in just over 12 hours is to be in Taurus. I really struggle with integrating Taurus energy; in fact, I actively resist it.]

waybread

Wow, thanks, R4ven.

I might just add that your concern about this wonderful ark-house being so close to the road would seem to deepen the desire to distance yourself from your rootlessness.

I started my dream journal back-when as an assignment for a weekly dream interpretation workshop that I joined. Most people think they cannot remember their dreams, but actually, we can train ourselves to remember multiple dreams per night with persistence and practice. I gave up the dream journal after several years, but I remember some basic interpretive guidelines from the workshop leader, who had a diploma in Jungian psychology.

1. We are all of the symbols and people in our dreams.
2. Rather than look to dream symbolism books for answers as to what a particular dream element means, ask, "What does this particular theme or element mean to me?"
3. When people appear in dreams, a known individual shows that you have brought to consciousness what that person symbolizes to you. With strangers in a dream, their meaning is more obscured.

Interestingly, I just had a dream very early this morning, with symbolism similar to yours! I dreamed that my husband and I were traveling on some country roads--probably on foot. We passed some people who were Roma (Gypsies): some on foot and some traveling with carts, although they were very fair-complexioned, with blue eyes and grey-blonde hair. Then my husband and I were hunting for an apartment or condo to buy [for some unknown reason!] We looked through several very quickly, then spent a fair bit of time in one that was in an apartment block in a city, and overlooking a river. This apartment consisted of a linear series of white rooms, and the wall surfaces had a bit of a sheen to them. There were many bedrooms, and most the beds were unmade or there were even people sleeping in them. The family was at home, an older woman was cooking a meal, and apparently they were entertaining relatives. Despite the general untidiness, I liked the place a lot, and it had a kind of sleek modern look; but we found that the asking price was in the $500,000 range, but our top price was in the $400,000 range. Once we were outside, the building had changed to a small single-family home, and I could see that it was surrounded by old warehouses with no other residences in sight; and that the riverbank was muddy, with old pick-up trucks parked by it. I suddenly doubted that I would feel safe coming home alone at night to this house.

It is hard to know the precise time of a dream, but I cast a chart with an approximation. I note that the traveling and Roma components very Mercurial, whereas a home with luminescent white walls is very lunar, especially with the images of a mature woman cooking and and other people sleeping. The "white" Roma seem also lunar. Like you, I knew that this house did not belong to me, although I had a strong interest initially in buying it. I would read this dream as indicating some tension about whether I can really feel at home in a place, no matter how much I might wish to. Natally I have moon closely opposite Mercury.

Rivers are ruled by the moon or Neptune. An image of decaying old warehouses and slum-like settings, as well as fears of lurking violence, seems Plutonian. I often have similar images of decaying or slum-like settings in my dreams--places I find very distasteful, yet redolent of a neglected history.

My transits for this dream are: moon square sun and mars, Pluto trine Saturn (rules architecture and buildings), Neptune conjunct sun and Mars, and Mercury/Mars trine Pluto. I also did a midpoint composite chart for this dream, and found a close sun-Mercury conjunction, as part of a wide stellium involving Chiron, Mars, and Hekate; with a Cancer moon as the most elevated planet and widely conjunct the MC.

Last edited:

Feature

Raven I am wondering, do you have control of your dreams or do you merely "watch" them as you would a movie?

I have a few ideas, suggestions and possibly questions. Since I was about 5-6 I realized I have strong strength and influence on my dreams, so much so that I've developed different techniques to approach different things.