Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > Anything Else... > Chat

Chat For posts that don't have to do with astrological chart interpretation, but they're still important to you. Gossip, show off, hot topic, spiritual thoughts, Sun sign astrological discussions, chit chat: come in and share!

Unread 07-21-2007, 06:31 AM

Re: How did you get into astrology?

I had just started graduate school in psychology when I was introduced to astrology. A friend made an appointment with an astrologer and asked if I wanted one too. I had never thought about the subject--all I knew was my sun sign and the newspaper horoscopes that I never read. But I decided to go along, why not. But by the end of my appointment I was hooked. I couldn't believe the accuracy of the reading. For weeks afterward, I pestered the astrologer with phone calls, asking if he taught classes, books I should read, etc. (brazen behavior for my usual Sun, Mercury, Mars Pisces shyness).

One day when I called he said his assistant had just quit so I should come by with my chart for an interview. It was the easiest job interview I ever had. I didn't have to say a word, just handed him my chart. I was hired! My duties consisted of manually calculating all his charts (this was before computers and software programs) but I also had the opportunity to sit in on his readings and learn firsthand. It was a incredible education. When I look back, I can't believe how lucky I was.

As far as aspects when this occurred: Transiting Saturn conjunct, and transiting Uranus trine my 1st house Uranus, which sits almost on my Ascendant and rules my MC.

And now, many many years later, I'm still as enthused and awed by the subject. It's given me so much insight about myself and others. And
hints about the interconnectedness between us all...

Oh, forgot to add, that I eventually dropped out of graduate school and focused totally on astrology. I had been unhappy with my psychology studies anyway--thought the major theories were too subjective, basically reflections of each theorist's idiosyncrasies. Astrology seemed much more unbiased, a system of knowledge amassed over thousands of years.

Unread 07-22-2007, 07:22 PM

I've been interested in astrology since around the age of 15, I got into tarot then too, and yoga. I carried on these interests ever since. My interst in astrology grew through meeting a friend, she had much more knowledge than me which inspired me to learn. The more I studied my chart and other's, the more fascinated I grew. Then I found this forum. Since joining I've learned how to do horary, which has broadened my knowledge of the natal chart, house rulers and where they are located and what they mean.

NR

chart: http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk27/Jo75Tiger/mewithstarsasteroids.gif
Unread 08-03-2007, 05:52 AM

JUST CURIOUS, I GUESS.
Unread 09-12-2007, 06:11 AM

I was born My grandmother studied astrology, did charts for friends and family, and wrote horoscopes for a local newspaper. Whenever I talked about one of my friends she would ask me when their birthday was. I was always tickled when she could tell me things about my friends and she had never even met them.
Unread 10-03-2007, 06:01 PM

My older sister was into astrology and my mum always read her horoscope so from an early age i was introduced to astrology and when i was about 10 my interest suddenely flew sky high and i tried to learn everything i could and i guess i still haven't syopped :-)
Unread 10-10-2007, 01:02 AM

Location: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales

well after i murderd someone.. i was sentenced to 15 years in prison.. i was bored out of my mind and so had my mom ship me astrology books cause i wanted to fnd out why i murdered a person..

LOL j/k

i went to an astrologer, who seriously ******* up my chart. Since no one knows what time it is, she predicted "fabulous" future for me including either a murder or being murdered i forgot whch one.. basically, i said to myself "this woman is out of her mind!" and i decided to figure out on my own what the HECK is going on.. 1st thing i learned was creating a chart by hand since we had no computers no astrology relliable books.. so there you have it

TIk
Unread 10-10-2007, 02:40 AM

TIK-I had to laugh at the first sentence!

I have had the same thought in the past!
I thought it would be excellent theraphy for some inmates that we could see through a chart study to be redemable to use the art as a sellf theraphy which is basicly why I got into Astrology.
Unread 01-15-2008, 10:43 AM

I'm not that into it, but I became interested in it because I like the guidance aspect, and it's interesting because a lot of the traits of the signs seem accurate for people I know.
Unread 01-15-2008, 11:18 AM

Thru my Auntie - she got into astrology in the early nineties and I used to be over there often. So When I started uni I went & studied astrology in my spare time thruout my degree.
Unread 01-15-2008, 11:24 AM

I used to read my mums Womens Weekly magazines when it was deleivered and I think it was Rod Sterlings Star signs that captivated my interest. I was about 14. Later in my early 20's I read a book about Moon Signs and of course the Linda Goodman book. It wasn't until my 6th long term relationship and marriage collapsed that I decided to seriously learn more about astrology and myself. That has led me to my counselling career and the melding of both astrology and psychotherapy.

kingsley
Unread 01-15-2008, 11:36 AM
Banned

Tik your so funny!

I got into astro years ago.(when i was about 14 or 15)...no doubt in an attempt to be different(aqua rising)....lost a bag of astro books on holiday couple of years later when i wanted to learn more and then gave up for years...........had not learnt much, but tried hard to confirm that i wasnt a boring cap.....
Had lots of readings and felt that i knew more than your average person who would get readings( well wanted to belive that anyway).......wanted to understand the language.........had trouble remembering stuff though (the outer planet symbols esp.....).....knew my asc and moon etc.....was really good at reading out of books.....feeling that they were the answers i needed.... but had no personal knowledge to rely on....so knew nothing in reality
been studying it now on forums since late sep 07..............heaps better than beliveing the interps of certain astrologers through books.....i like the debating and difference of opinion.......my learning has multiplied exponentially....
the person who's posts i have learnt the most from i think is scared of me and doesnt attend the forum much these days.................... jumped right in and told them how unreal they are!.......too bold and i stuffed it up!)

would like to actually do a course of some kind now.....that just gives a method of learning.....not so much answers.....but guess it will just be a life long hobby that i perfect over the years.........will stop when i stop learning.

will stop rambling on now!
Unread 01-15-2008, 04:57 PM

It's great reading everyone's stories.

I didn't really give much credence to astrology until about 6 years ago. I'd grown up very intellectual and mental (since that was what pleased my school and parents!), over-achieved at school. After leaving school I dropped out of uni and then went back to a different university to study philosophy. At the same time I was getting very into the Tarot and Qabalah - and quickly found that you don't bring these branches of thought into a mainstream philosophy course, not if you know what's good for you! Still, the philosophy studies were fascinating.

I found Qabalah fascinating but really a bit beyond me. There's a tradition that you shouldn't even start looking at it until you're over 40, and maybe it's right... still, all that trying to think in symbols stayed with me.

What really got me interested in astrology was the influence of women I've had relationships with. I seem to be consistently (sometimes fatally!) attracted to women with a witch-like quality - women who see things I don't, or see things in a way I can't. Hearing them talk astrologically, in a sophisticated, and often uncannily perceptive way, must have impressed me, and driven out the scepticism I had (like most people) towards newspaper-Sun-sign astrology, which is what I thought "astrology" was.

Finally, a few years ago, having some trouble, I bought some of Liz Greene's readings of my own chart from Astrodienst. This convinced me - very very accurate, uncomfortably accurate.

I've no idea how it works, why it works - but it works! I found this forum only a couple of weeks ago, and I must have read most of it by now...
Unread 01-15-2008, 05:09 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Astrocurious

A friend that I met on another forum introduced me to it. After reading JUST the basics of the planets involved in my chart convinced me that astrology is definitely worth investigating. What suprised me most was the mars/ascendant/and moon sign in which fits me so much...and I only touched base on the complexity of my chart...things like sextile/conjunct with other planets etc. ONLY because my mother first told me I was born at 8:20pm, then the second time I asked her she said 8:25 pm...or else I would have delved deeper into it... so this is driving me nuts(not knowing exact moment)...I'm waiting to find out the exact time ...waiting for the release form to come in the mail. But yeah, I was a skeptic before but not anymore...so far.
Unread 01-19-2008, 04:50 PM

I must have been ten. I was reading the detailed weekly astrological forecasts for Sun signs on an expired local newspaper one day and got to realise it fitted very well with what I actually had the previous week, Like the health was marked to be poor for Thursday and I was ill that day!! :rotflmao:
Unread 03-24-2008, 06:50 AM

my mother was an astrologer, it's been a part of my life for a long time, even though i never learned it for myself.
Unread 03-24-2008, 10:25 AM

Send a message via MSN to Nexus7

An early exposeure to Holst's planet suite possibly and esposure to teenage magazines that talkd about astrology types.

Later on, a teenage girl's magazine started publishing the charts of the most popular heartthrobs - well, I was not particularly impressed with the heart throbs, but was fascinated to see how complex a horoscope could be: we have a rising sign too? Wow!

I came acros sentiments about astrology being 'the work of the devil' too - I did have a Christian phase at school.

Later on, I did come across Linda Goodman's book. I found it very entertaining as a read and her chart descriptions appreared to be perceptive - but the real revelation was that from this I recognised my moon sign, rather than my sun sign - yet the book was very black-and-white and absolute on the validity of sun signs.

I started to set up charts at 18 with a Derek and Julia Parker book, which you might remember does not have 'proper' ephemerides at the book, though later on I took a Jeff Mayo course that set that area to rights.

I had difficulties with astrology, though. It did seem to me that a lot of people involved with it could be very prescriptive and dogmatic about who you are supposed to be according to the stars - astro fundamentalists, I would call them now. (I am ot saying that all astrologers I met were like that). I had already suspected that nerdily just looking at people through the framework of the stars might be a limiting exercise, but I also disliked the way one or twoother individuals I met seemed more interested deriving a sense of power from categorising others and not looking beyond that.Neither did I get on with the heavy theosophical/esoteric bias that seemed to be around - there was something there that seemed deeply unbalanced to me somehow.

These factors made me feel the need to steer clear of it all and for the last 10 years, I have worked as a Tesol teacher. However, I do miss the times when I actually did work with astrology at the psychic fairs and would like to be more active in this area again if it could be possible.
Unread 03-24-2008, 01:03 PM

When I was in my early teens reading the daily horoscope in the newspaper.
Unread 04-06-2008, 06:05 PM

I was 13, bored, and had internet access.
I've dabbled in and out of astrology over the past 4 or 5 years. It can be interesting.
Unread 04-13-2008, 10:19 PM

For a long time I thought astrology was nonsense... then I noticed all of the people I got along with really well were born around the same to times of the year... so I looked it up, and sure enough, there was an astrological connection... so I figured I would go get my chart read professionally, to see what was up. By the time the reading was over, I was so paranoid I wanted to know how long she had been tapping my phone and which one of my friends talked about me... (well, the paranoia comes naturally... I am a Capricorn...)

I took the chart and audio tape home, and decided I had to figure out how she did that... and within 18 months I was doing readings professionally... that was in 1985...
Unread 04-19-2008, 10:00 PM

Hi people

I'm new to this board tonight! A good place to start, then, is a thread on how I got into astrology!

It was about 18 years ago, I was getting rather close to an Aquarian penfriend of mine (those were the days when people WROTE to each other, remember that?!!!) and I'd heard that us Geminis were supposed to get on quite well with Aquarians......

Well, I bought myself a copy of Linda Goodman's Love Signs, read all about the marvellous relationship I was gonna have with my Aquarian, and all Linda's references to delving deeper because the Sun isn't all there is to astrology...

To cut a long story short, me and miss Aquarian died a terrible death relationship-wise. Me and astrology could have died a similar death but I was sufficiently intrigued by this time to wonder WHY?!!

The rest, as they say, is history! Incidentally I have since discovered that Miss Aqua was far too emotionally dry for this emotionally un-typical Gemini with Scorpio rising, Moon in Pisces, and Venus and Mars in Cancer!
Unread 05-19-2008, 01:30 AM

Hi everybody..my first posting just signed up..um yeah, when I was about seven an aunt of mine had this astrology book that came free with a normal gossip womans magazine and I was fascinated about it especially with astrological twins and the traits of star signs..my interest just grew from there with eastern astrology, numerology and everthing else I could get on the occult..

I did have a time in which I didnt read or study about it due to other distractions in life..but am now focusing on re learning and learning more about the occult..I just find it fascinating.
Unread 05-19-2008, 02:00 AM

^Welcome!

I stumbled onto Astro.com and I was like "Wow, some things here really do make sense" I've been studying it ever since.
Unread 05-20-2008, 04:23 AM

A student many years ago asked me "Are you a Leo?" I was stunned, and asked her what she'd meant. Her reply was "because you act like one." That got me going. Never lost my fascination with the language of the stars.

Then, a year later (1969), I picked up a sun sign astrology paper back (it was really bad... ) while on a wait-over at an airport. One book lead to another until I began taking classes with John Scott Fischer in 1971. Then in 1980, I traveled to Madras, India, to study Vedic at the Institute for Stellar Astrology.... and here I am... still fascinated.

Last edited by blueheron; 07-16-2008 at 08:28 PM.
Unread 05-24-2008, 08:29 PM

I used to go to a friend of my mom's when I was just into highschool (13). She was a psychotherapist, she died of leukemia a few years ago. Anyways, it was in her book cabinet I found a huge hardcover blue book that described astrology in a different way than the usual magazine kind. I was morbidly fascinated. A few weeks later we got in a mag for home courses, it had astrology! I enlisted as one of the youngest in my country. I still have my homework assignments from back then. It's so cute to see the handwriting. You can still see I'm a child. ^_^;
Unread 07-16-2008, 06:38 PM

I think I was around the age of 17 when I became addicted to mail order purchases...good ol' Double Day ads came in....and for only 1.00 I was entitled to something like 10 books!

One of them was an astrology book!

Though I haven't expaned beyond the basics and still have yet to become REALLY familiar with any one area in particular....I must say I know more than the average joe!

I want to learn so much more..hence why I am here.

Thanks Double Day for the book that has broadened my understanding in people and myself!