Moon square Uranus and instability in the mother???

R4VEN

I've tried the Search facility and could not find anything specifically related to Moon square Uranus as a natal placement, although I'm sure there's one buried somewhere.

I seem to remember reading somewhere of those with this natal placement having changeable relationships with their mother, but I am more interested in the mothers of people with this placement.

Both my grandson and his mother have this placement in their natal charts, and the child's mother's mother has Moon conjunct Uranus in her natal chart. Now - at the risk of causing confusion - my grandson's mother is showing signs of `not coping', her mother is heavily medicated for an anxiety disorder, and her mother is (by anecdotal evidence) a `bit barmy' also.

I know that 3 people of the same family hardly constitutes solid research :whistling:, but
have any others noticed this trend?

(I also recognise that the terms `instability' and `a bit barmy' are hugely subjective, and open to judgement. Humour me here.............)

I take it this is your sun's wife family, can you post any charts??

I have this moon square uranus and I do see it as a break with mother, but in the wider context it can be break with women or men. Can you poss say what sign moon is in and any other aspects?

Mine is moon late Aries 3rd conj 4th cusp square Leo Uranus in 7th,but cos I have a stellium planets in taurus (which is very placid, laid back and grounded) I don't beleive I act in emotionally disruptive ways, not without a lot of provacation anyway. Yes I would describe my mother as quite fiery (being Saggi) maybe cos it's 28' Saggi decanate it has more issues to do with freedom, independence (all very important things to aries, saggi and aquarius)

Found this from another thread:-
Uranus/Moon: Usually a cold or broken home goes with this placement, and usually the person, as a child, learned to shut off their emotions. Learning how to feel one's feelings and/or be in the body becomes very important if the individual wants a meaningful, warm relationship.
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13124&highlight=uranus+aspects

It's hard and not very practical to just isolate one aspect within a chart as you know, cos I have very close trine to pluto in 7th and sextile to mars in 5th as well as wide orb conj with sun in taurus. I didn't come from a broken home but thier was lots of high volume rows and not a lot of affection, cuddles (which I knew wasn't normal inanyevent)

Maybe it can describe an on/off relationship with mother as has been my own case, but I don't put this down to this aspect alone. We have our suns exactly quincunxed which means we were never really meant to understand each other anyway.....:crying:

melisa

Hi---
Yes, I have Moon square Uranus. My mother was very irritable, nervous and unreliable. Though she had her own issues and Moon in Gemini contributing to intelligence but also to her fluctuating moods, she was very abusive.
She and I had a cold relationship and I realized that ultimately after tellling her I loved her a few times grwoing up (and her never saying it back until I was in my thirties, which hurt me), I really didn't love her at the end. She was abusive and rejecting. I would say that my own emotions are very strong and take awhile to change, yet my Moon is in Scorpio and my Sun is in Cancer, offsetting the Moon ini 3rd square Uranus in 12th.

Have a nice day
Melisa

waybread

R4ven, I am really reluctant to say that a particular moon placement like moon square Uranus says anything objective about one's mother. There is oftentimes the "sibling problem" in which different sibs w/ the same mother have very different moon placements, and yet Mom is the same woman. I think difficult aspects to one's moon can indicate that one experiences and perceives one's mother in a difficult way. Melisa's post is such an example. If Mum has moon-square Uranus in her own chart, however, then one might think this could cause emotional (moon) instability (Uranus.)

I wish more research were done on generational placements. I think you do see patterns in horoscopes of family members. I am fortunate to have pretty well-worked through family histories (thanks to some relatives who really took an interest in genealogy.) I haven't gotten around to working up horoscopes for all of them, but I once did horoscopes for my maternal line: my daughter, niece, me, sister, mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, great-great grandmother, and great-great-great grandmother: 7 generations of women. Moon-Mercury (even allowing for few birth times) and sun-Pluto contacts were in all of them, although I did use noviles to locate some of the contacts.

Erin Sullivan, The Astrology of Family Dynamics is a good book on this topic.

R4VEN

R4ven, I am really reluctant to say that a particular moon placement like moon square Uranus says anything objective about one's mother. There is oftentimes the "sibling problem" in which different sibs w/ the same mother have very different moon placements, and yet Mom is the same woman. I think difficult aspects to one's moon can indicate that one experiences and perceives one's mother in a difficult way. Melisa's post is such an example. If Mum has moon-square Uranus in her own chart, however, then one might think this could cause emotional (moon) instability (Uranus.)

I wish more research were done on generational placements. I think you do see patterns in horoscopes of family members. I am fortunate to have pretty well-worked through family histories (thanks to some relatives who really took an interest in genealogy.) I haven't gotten around to working up horoscopes for all of them, but I once did horoscopes for my maternal line: my daughter, niece, me, sister, mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, great-great grandmother, and great-great-great grandmother: 7 generations of women. Moon-Mercury (even allowing for few birth times) and sun-Pluto contacts were in all of them, although I did use noviles to locate some of the contacts.

Erin Sullivan, The Astrology of Family Dynamics is a good book on this topic.
Perhaps I did not word my original post very well. I was intending for people to look at this placement purely from a subjective viewpoint. I understand also that one with a difficult moon placement such as this would view their relationship with mother through their own filter - which takes into account their own Moon sign and house, and other aspects to Moon.

For instance, my own mother's mother was somewhat unstable, and was hospitalised on a few occasions for taking to her family members with a knife. My mother's moon is not aspected to her Uranus, but formed an opposition with her natal Chiron in Pisces, indicating an issue with having one's boundaries invaded, which may also be an indication of being open to abuse - but not necessarily from the mother. My mother had very poor personal boundaries, and was very invasive and manipulative along with it.

In my own female line, the issues arise from Mercury not having an `outlet'.

I am interested in the Moon square Uranus placement in my grandson's female line given that the people with the harsh Moon-Uranus placement seem to be in total denial about what I perceive as quite odd behaviour.

I was only after some anecdotal stuff. I'm not writing a book or anything :w00t:
I'm also aware of other threads asking about aspects which indicate depression/mental illness/bipolar, and the concensus seems to be that it can be anything or everything, but Uranus is frequently involved. In the family I mention above, one of the sons has Uranus and Sun conjunct in Sag, and he now has a degree of drug-induced mental illness..... which is probably as a result of his desire to experiment with drugs - the rebellion of Uranus conj Sun - and going overboard, and messing up his head, rather than the placement itself being an indicator of the resultant mental illness.

Arian Maverick

As one who possesses an extremely tight, applying Moon-Uranus square aspect, with the Moon conjunct the Ascendant and Uranus conjunct the Midheaven, I must agree with this assessment. I do not perceive my mother as emotionally unstable, although she has this Moon-Uranus square aspect, as well, if her approximate time of birth is correct. Her Scorpio Moon and other Scorpio placements may incline her to reign in some of these strong emotions, though.

However, I admit she may exhbit an element of "emotional instability" in the matter through which she vents strong emotions. She often likens herself to a volcano; the frustration builds within her until it erupts in a mighty explosion of ash and lava. The explosions occur infrequently, yet they often devastate the landscape. Fortunately, the ash richens the soil so new vegetation may grow.

Arian Maverick

melisa

Hi---
Yes, Maverick I too have Moon in Scorpio squaring Uranus. I identify with the description of feeling like a "volcano" erupting emotions.
Waybread wrote about one's experience and perception of the mother. That is true, perceptions can be influenced by astrological aspects. Yet there is also some objectivity involved---others (with different astrological placements) witnessed and verified the abuse my mother inflicted on me and my siblings. So even with my Moon squaring Uranus influencing my relationship with my mother, she was, sadly, objectively abusive to me and others, regardless of perceptions.
Generational patterns were also mentioined. I wrote a post last week on the Relationships Forum about that issue. I wrote about how my mother's Saturn exactly squared my Saturn and my Venus, creating a Grand Square. My Venus, in turn exactly squared her Neptune, making for a more difficult relationship, and the composite wasn't much better. So I can see how issues can be passed down fromone generation to the next

Bye
Melisa

astropsychologist

Yes, I have Moon square Uranus, my mother has Uranus in the 4th and her mother has Moon conjunct Uranus. There is no history of anxiety disorder in my family, however there is a definite pattern that runs through mother/daughter relationships, none of us get along with each other, each was a mother too young, felt deprived of their freedom and the daughters seemed to pick up on this and it has created a distance and coldness between the females in my family.

R4VEN

there is a definite pattern that runs through mother/daughter relationships, none of us get along with each other, each was a mother too young, felt deprived of their freedom and the daughters seemed to pick up on this and it has created a distance and coldness between the females in my family.
astropsychologist, I think you may have hit upon something there.

astropsychologist

I'd also like to add that neither my mother nor grandmother are emotionally unstable, however they are both cut-off emotionally, my mother often says "im just not an emotional person".

Shadowflash

FWIW...my Moon is at 10 Taurus in the 10th, and Uranus is at 06 Leo on my 10 Leo Ascendant. This extends to a grand cross with Chiron at 07 Aquarius and (a little more loosely) Neptune on my IC at 01 Scorpio.

Some free-form stream-of-consciousness notes here.

My mother became an *extremely high strung* single mother at age 37 in 1956, the youngest of seven siblings coming from a very Victorian-British Christian Fundamentalist home. The eldest sibling was born in 1902; she was born in 1919, and the family mindset seriously felt like it came from the 1800s. She had sex once in her life to someone who'd promised to marry her (my father); he changed his mind and she was left with me. She herself had Moon, Venus and Mars in tight conjunction with Uranus in Pisces, in the eighth house, with surprisingly nonchallenging aspects to it all. She sported an incredibly backward belief system about men, that they were almost like animals and not to be trusted on any level. That Uranian energy inclined her to secretly wish to be different from her family in some ways, on some levels, but she never had the courage to stand up to them and be herself, bless her heart. She lived to *toe the line* as they each defined it to her, on their religious terms, and parroted these same party lines down to me...who refused to allow any bit of it to stick to me. I was a Plutonian/Uranian rebel from my first breath and the receiver of all her unconscious projections of who she really wanted to be; an interesting journey, to be sure. There were never less than three separate nervous tics going off on different spots of her face. She abhorred herself; would say "there's the ugly witch again!" every time she caught herself in the mirror, and every effort on my part to help her love herself beyond this was met with disdain. In fact, she did not *trust Love* in any of its contexts (which was quite understandable given her experience), and so could not fathom *God* or *The Divine* as love either; and since this was my natural orientation, though she always managed to maintain a thread of good feeling and love between she and I...which I always returned...I was never anyone she could genuinely like or trust, or experience as a true *ally* in life.

The one *solid love connection* we had, through which *all of it* had to flow...except for what could be exchanged during her last ten years, in which I cared for her, much to her chagrin...was singing together. Her singing voice was literally, at least to me, *the sound of Love,* and while mine could never match it, as a child she'd taught me all the harmony lines to all the old-fashioned Fundamentalist hymns she knew; and in her last few years that was *the one thing* we could enjoy together...

She passed two years ago, and the fact that we were never able to be friends and had no *true deep* relationship in any authentically-intimate way does not assuage my grief at the loss of her presence in my life...

R4VEN

Shadowflash, thank you for that particularly eloquent tribute to your mother (since that is how I read it to be) and I for one have enjoyed what you wrote.

I was particularly interested in:
"That Uranian energy inclined her to secretly wish to be different from her family in some ways, on some levels, but she never had the courage to stand up to them and be herself, bless her heart. She lived to *toe the line* as they each defined it to her, on their religious terms, and parroted these same party lines down to me...who refused to allow any bit of it to stick to me. I was a Plutonian/Uranian rebel from my first breath and the receiver of all her unconscious projections of who she really wanted to be; an interesting journey, to be sure."

I have witnessed in other women (in particular this seems to be women - why is that?) this dilemma of wanting to be different from the `party line', but at the same time finding it impossible to break away, and so trying to `sell the party line' to the next generation of young women.

Shadowflash

Thank you, R4ven... My post didn't begin with an intention of offering tribute, but you're right, I guess that's what it became! The huge *electrical charge* or static within both our makeups and within our relationship (meaning that as a metaphor for all that naturally prevented us from connecting better) was such that only now, in retrospect, am I finding myself able to properly & completely honor her, and fully understand her context of experience.

Yes, what you note above is a fascinating phenomenon, isn't it? I can offer my personal context of understanding around that...but it is pretty intensely sourced from my personal spiritual beliefs, so I'm not sure whether you or many other folks will find resonance with it...

I believe in reincarnation, and that in each lifetime our moment of birth impresses our psyches with the "mosaic" of qualities and tendencies illustrated within our natal charts...and that this specific, exact design is what we have chosen as being most likely to *generate opportunities* for gaining the angles of soulgrowth we have chosen to focus upon in that lifetime. And while each person's chosen "curriculum" that I'm defining in this way is extremely complex and multifaceted, I've always loved that old movie "Defending Your Life" because to me, its overall bottom-line theme...that soulgrowth always has something to do with *rising beyond Fear* in all its many facets to embrace new horizons and challenges, to *expand the Self* in all positive, benevolent ways the opportunity presents itself...is an excellent metaphor that translates the essence of this in a very simple way that doesn't butcher its underlying complexity.

So, seeing what you've highlighted here, from my post, through that lens...I'll use my own framework to illustrate... My mom's soul chose to, as Eleanor, incarnate within a family whose hugely-restrictive orientation and mindset would put an uncomfortable spotlight upon those realms of herself that have, within her total soul history, *outgrown its britches,* so to speak; the realms of herself within which she sorely needs to break through certain barriers of fear in order to attain a wider energetic field of expression and being in order to truly Be Herself, now. (The families we choose birth into, to me, often hold that as part of their design; to catalyze the realms our souls most ripe for, most needing to *make new, big Reaches Forward* in order to know true fulfillment.) As is often the case, however, either this *cooking process* was not sufficient to inspire her own will or courage (or who knows what else) to actually enact all that would have been required for her to truly do so.

Then what happens, to my understanding, is that whatever issues going on within us that, for whatever reason, we are unable to or can't choose to *own* and consciously grow beyond, in these ways, we unavoidably unconsciously *project* onto others. This gets spoken of in traditional psychology as one generation "passing down" its issues to the next, most often highlighted within more-visible abuse cycles that come down generation to generation, but is also valid for all realms... My mom was unable to break her cycle of dwelling within the parameters of life experience her own fears defined for her; therefore I, as her daughter, *lived them out* for her. To me this is an ingenious, chosen-by-all-parties *cooperative* soulgrowth plan, really; it provides so many moments/angles of opportunity to still choose to rise above them! At any point mom had the opportunity to choose, prompted by her own frustrations and feelings that arose, watching me *be and live* from a wider, larger scope -- the context of expression she truly *wanted* to embrace -- but in all her 88 years, she was not able to choose that. So she just ended up resenting me, unconsciously externalizing/projecting all that upon me as "the enemy."

Actually, the late and very esteemed, enormously-skilled astrologer Barbara Krofel was the one who brought all this to my attention many years ago, back in 1979, looking at my chart. Read my mother *in* my chart, as well as these projections. She was amazing at reading others in one's chart, and first taught me these principles.

So that's how I understand all this... Thanks again very much for your kind words, R4ven! Nice sync there; Raven is one of my major totems... ;->

Shadowflash

(Arrrrrgh; just realizing now that the context of my post above might be riding the boundary of *pure astrology* and might belong elsewhere; but I wouldn't know how to do that without losing the continuity thread of it being in response to the subject at hand...

Oh; and my own correction here, which I'm sure no one would find significant...I have Jupiter in Virgo, can't help it: Barb Krofel's insight began advising my astrological understanding in *1982,* not 1979... *sigh*)

Cheers!

hermetic

I'd also like to add that neither my mother nor grandmother are emotionally unstable, however they are both cut-off emotionally, my mother often says "im just not an emotional person".

I really needed to reply to this thread quoting exactly this.
I'm living this sentence in my life now. My boyfriend has Moon conj Uranus in 6th house(not helpful) and this conjunction is unaspected from other planets.
At first I thought he had an ok relationship with his mother, which he is, in a sense normal communication. But... he never received any emotional response from her, so he is really completely cut off from his emotions.
he can never tell how he feels.
as a teary cancer ascendant, this is devastating for me.
he just can't formulate feeling, he says when he starts thinking about how he is feeling, rationalizing, that he feels utterly confused. it is all a blank. i aks him what he feels about me and he says ' i like when i am with you' and this is most he can say. on the other hand, i know he is just being honest.:crying:
How do you cure this???
he is very succesfull in all other areas of life, but this is so extreme and I have never seen anything like this.

I know now this aspect is fully responsible. As a Aqua Moon myself I know a bit or two about detachment of owns feelings, when necessary, and I have Moon sextile Uranus, mother was changeable, a bit unstable, but also inspiring and creative.
and funny how these aspects run in families - my grandma had Moon square Uranus, my mom has Uranus on Cancer asc inconjunct Moon and both me and my brother have Aqua Moons in aspect to Uranus. pretty cool, me thinks:whistling:

very good thread, thanks everyone for contributing

R4VEN

My mom was unable to break her cycle of dwelling within the parameters of life experience her own fears defined for her; therefore I, as her daughter, *lived them out* for her. To me this is an ingenious, chosen-by-all-parties *cooperative* soulgrowth plan, really; it provides so many moments/angles of opportunity to still choose to rise above them! At any point mom had the opportunity to choose, prompted by her own frustrations and feelings that arose, watching me *be and live* from a wider, larger scope -- the context of expression she truly *wanted* to embrace -- but in all her 88 years, she was not able to choose that. So she just ended up resenting me, unconsciously externalizing/projecting all that upon me as "the enemy."
I want to reply in some way to your whole post, but to do so may take too many words.
In essence, Shadowflash, what you describe above in relation to the `handing down' of opportunities for soul growth is what this thread is about. I just chose the Moon-Uranus relationship because it appears to be so charged, and so difficult to work with.... thus, the parent-child relationship is frequently a noticeable one.

And hermetic, what you describe in your experience of the detachment of the Aquarius/Uranus/Moon influence is equally eloquent. I find it almost mind-blowing that you then find a partner with this same emotional detachment.

In the family of whom I spoke in the opening post of this thread, the mother (of my grandson's mother) would have to be the singularly coldest person I have ever met - and she has Uranus-Moon conjunct in Leo. I find her to be very damaged - but that is something she hides from all but the most intuitive of people. She appears to me to be very `wired' - like she's coiled tightly like a spring - but she smiles through it all, like everything is normal and life is `just fun'.

Seems the general concensus is that moon/uranus aspects are cold, detached and cause emotional instability.:sad:

Again,l think generalities like these without seeing the charts involved creates the impression that all are the same -- which I feel is unfair. I have only one planet Neptune in water BUT 4planets in water houses -- cancer/scorpio which I feel more than compensates for the lack. maybe I'm the exception to the rule, but I do feel this is tarring the whole moon/uranus with same brush and that's not the case. There could be loads of other aspects from these people's natal moons to compensate or like in my case planets in water houses.

I'm easily brought to tears even watching sad things on TV. I don't consider myself cold, detached or emotionally retarded. I have very close trine to Pluto and sextile to mars and wide orb conj to taurus sun.

Although I do agree it causes a break/problems relating to mother, this doesn't mean I'm going to repeat the same mistakes. As detailed in post 2, my mother and I have sun signs exactly quincunxed anyway....

On the plus side of moon/uranus this does give the ability to 'walk away' if a relationship is not working out and to start anew. I have lots of fixed planets, fixed Asc and really don't like change unless it's absolutely necessary :whistling:

Just don't think this thread is giving enough balanced view of moon/uranus :sad: :sad:

Last edited:

Seymour

I really needed to reply to this thread quoting exactly this.
I'm living this sentence in my life now. My boyfriend has Moon conj Uranus in 6th house(not helpful) and this conjunction is unaspected from other planets.
At first I thought he had an ok relationship with his mother, which he is, in a sense normal communication. But... he never received any emotional response from her, so he is really completely cut off from his emotions.
he can never tell how he feels.
as a teary cancer ascendant, this is devastating for me.
he just can't formulate feeling, he says when he starts thinking about how he is feeling, rationalizing, that he feels utterly confused. it is all a blank. i aks him what he feels about me and he says ' i like when i am with you' and this is most he can say. on the other hand, i know he is just being honest.:crying:
How do you cure this???
he is very succesfull in all other areas of life, but this is so extreme and I have never seen anything like this.

I know now this aspect is fully responsible. As a Aqua Moon myself I know a bit or two about detachment of owns feelings, when necessary, and I have Moon sextile Uranus, mother was changeable, a bit unstable, but also inspiring and creative.
and funny how these aspects run in families - my grandma had Moon square Uranus, my mom has Uranus on Cancer asc inconjunct Moon and both me and my brother have Aqua Moons in aspect to Uranus. pretty cool, me thinks:whistling:

very good thread, thanks everyone for contributing

This really seems to describe exactly my situation as well. Especially the phrase "he can never tell how he feels" is so true about me and my mother, we don't have a really bad relationship, it's just a cold behavior between us, like if it's really " cut off " as you said. Emotionally speaking, we don't speak, we don't SHARE our emotions together as I guess we should. And we never did, even when I was younger.
Indeed I have Moon in aries , placed in 12th house, squaring uranus in capricorn

This really seems to describe exactly my situation as well. Especially the phrase "he can never tell how he feels" is so true about me and my mother, we don't have a really bad relationship, it's just a cold behavior between us, like if it's really " cut off " as you said. Emotionally speaking, we don't speak, we don't SHARE our emotions together as I guess we should. And we never did, even when I was younger.
Indeed I have Moon in aries , placed in 12th house, squaring uranus in capricorn

Moon in 12th is difficult placement because is keeps emotions inside and doesn't share. surely though you have other aspects to your moon, after all 12th is a water house/pisces and very sacrificial, but I have found there is a resentment on some internal level towards mother....