What are you reading?

Moog

I'm currently combing through Dorian Greenbaum's Temperament book.

Recently put down 'Instructions in the Elements of the Art of Astrology' by Al Biruni.

Both are interesting books.

It's kinda nice to put the Vedic stuff away for a little while.

Think I might tackle Holden's Rhetorius book next

What astrology books/texts are you reading?

Zarathu

Account Closed
The Mechanics of Free Will by Martha Lang Wescott, 1986.

Martha's premise matches my perception of what I call my 5th Quotient of Astrology: Cognition. See my website, below.

Cognition has to be looked at developmentally, and is developed through first the Ascendant, then the Moon and finally Mercury. The ASC represents your reaction to the most intense experience of your life: Birth. The Moon records a comparison of what is and what isn't, and essentially establishes how you re-establish the security that was lost in birth. Your life is constantly moderated by establishing security and keeping security.

Mercury establishes meaning of future cognition based on the ASC and the Moon.

How you think about perceptions, both internal and external, is dependent on the interaction of these three, and aspects to them, the sign they are in and in the case of Moon and Mercury, the house they reside.

Uranian points and asteroids provide the nuances that are invisible in just the aspects to other planets, the house placement, and the sign.

Marinka

Hmmm .. I think I'm going to like this thread - thank you for creating it. I'm always looking for books to read.

I'm reading Astrological Timing of Critical Illness by Noel Tyl. It's not bad but, the viewpoint is from what is seen in the chart beforehand. The cases are not followed up to see what happens later (except in the cases that involve celebrities).

dr. farr

"Practical Ashtakavarga", quite useful (although I like Aditya's "Dots of Destiny" better); rereading Patel's "Predicting through Navamsa and Nadi Astrology" (great book for those with the basics already "under their belt"); restudying Thabit Ibn Qurra's "Ghayat el kawakeb" (actually the fragments of it, translated into English, which I originally obtained from the teacher who taught me about oldtime Ottoman astrology and the "Ankara" horary method, back in the early 1970's)...

Kuntuzangmo

The Plot against America by Philip Roth.
Tibetan Proverbs, a collection.
Short stories by Heimito Von Doderer
Biography of Nicola Tesla

greybeard

Right now, back and forth between

Jung's "Psychological Types" and
"Chaos" by James Gleick, a work on the roots and fruits of chaos theory.

Therese

William Lilly: Christian Astrology vol 3

Karen E. Starr: Repair of the Soul: Metaphors of Transformation in Jewish Mysticism and Psychoanalysis (Routledge)

Naomi Ruth Lowinsky: The Sister from Below: When the Muse Gets Her Way (Fisher King Press)

The_Saturnian

I'm in between Parkers' Astrology by Julia & Derek Parker and for my Vedic material, I'm reading Astrology for life by David Hawthorne and V.K. Choudhry. I would not particularly recommend the latter, as I feel it is too vaguely explained. They keep bragging on about their so called "Systems' Approach" on how to draw up and interpret Vedic charts. Personally I feel they could have put a lot more effort into breaking the basic down a bit more.

I bought another one recently by Dennis M. Harness (a Ph.D. apparently), with an introduction by a renowned Vedic astrologer Dr David Frawley. It is entitled The Nakshatras: The Lunar Mansions of Vedic Astrology. I looked mine up (Jyestha) and I thought it was pretty accurate and quite well laid out. A sound investment for beginner's guide to Vedic astrology, in particularly the sub-topic of Nakshatras.

stainedBlue

I'm working my way through the Cambridge Ancient History series of books. Coincidentally, I bought Holden's Rhetorius book this week. I plan to start that in a few days.

Moog

I'm in between Parkers' Astrology by Julia & Derek Parker and for my Vedic material, I'm reading Astrology for life by David Hawthorne and V.K. Choudhry. I would not particularly recommend the latter, as I feel it is too vaguely explained. They keep bragging on about their so called "Systems' Approach" on how to draw up and interpret Vedic charts. Personally I feel they could have put a lot more effort into breaking the basic down a bit more.

I bought another one recently by Dennis M. Harness (a Ph.D. apparently), with an introduction by a renowned Vedic astrologer Dr David Frawley. It is entitled The Nakshatras: The Lunar Mansions of Vedic Astrology. I looked mine up (Jyestha) and I thought it was pretty accurate and quite well laid out. A sound investment for beginner's guide to Vedic astrology, in particularly the sub-topic of Nakshatras.

I would start with Frawley's Astrology of the Seers if you want a good basic into to Jyotish

Good luck with your studies

Zarathu

Account Closed
I'm also interested in MBTI.

I am firmly INTP

Very strong INTJ here. I actually use it as a component of my Fifth Quotient of Natal Astrology: Cognition. The Temperament types use the signs for the center parts of the MB, using David Kiersey's versions, in my opinion.

This would be: Earth = SJ; Fire = SP; Air = NT; Water = NF. Bruno Huber also discusses this in his books, which are really about cognition only and not about the whole chart, IMO.

BTW, psychiatrists have nothing to do with the Myers-Briggs. Its the PhD psychologists who are into that.

Zarathu

Account Closed
I'm into reading about the Lunar Nodes now. I have several books but the one I like the best is written by my friend Celeste Teal, entitled LUNAR NODES.

This book and other information related to it are part of my 6th Quotient which defines ones's mission in life, and centers around the ability of an individual to manifest their creativity in live or to be bound in illusion and not get things manifested, and also about what is the focus of their manifestation. This also pre-stages the 7th quotient which is about the Challenges right now, as opposed to what is in the natal chart that you were born with.

One of these days I will actual start the monumental task of writing the whole tome for publication.