Are eclipses always conjunct transiting nodes?

athair

Hi, i was looking at some issues about the Taurus Lunar eclipse in november 2021 (since it is conjunct natal Jupiter within my chart) and realized it is conjunct (or very close to a conjunction with) transit North node (at the very starting degrees of.Gemini). So i wonder if this happens with all eclipses (or at least lunar ones); is this always happening like in this occassion?
Another question i would do is about lunar eclipse conj.natal Jupiter: what are the features of it generally? (Btw, Jupiter is the only singleton in my chart-planet in earth sign, and is conjunct Lilith)(?).
Thanks in advance.

IleneK

Premium Member
A quick look at the last lunar eclipse on Dec 14 at 27 Sag, the lunar nodes were at 19 Sag, so I don't think a lunar eclipse necessarily conjuncts the lunar nodes. I think the nodes are close by when eclipses occur and may happen to conjunct the eclipse at times.
I would be interested to hear comments from those who study eclipses more closely?

And eclipse on your natal Jupiter would highlight Jupiter's expression in your chart probably during in a window of three month before to three months after the conjunction perfects. It would clearly have new moon overtones, and the way it would manifest would depend upon the unique configuration that Jupiter makes in your natal, with consideration of relevant transits and progressions.

You may get more specific responses about the effect of the eclipse on Jupiter by posting your natal chart.

Wishing you well,

JUPITERASC

Hi, i was looking at some issues about the Taurus Lunar eclipse in november 2021 (since it is conjunct natal Jupiter within my chart) and

realized it is conjunct (or very close to a conjunction with) transit North node

(at the very starting degrees of.Gemini).
So i wonder if this happens with all eclipses
(or at least lunar ones);
is this always happening like in this occassion?

Another question i would do is about lunar eclipse conj.natal Jupiter: what are the features of it generally? (Btw, Jupiter is the only singleton in my chart-planet in earth sign, and is conjunct Lilith)(?).
Thanks in advance.
A lunar node
is the point where, in its monthly orbit of Earth
the moon's orbit intersects that plane.

An eclipse is when
– from Earth's perspective
– the sun is close enough to a lunar node
to allow an eclipse to take place.

If the sun is close to a lunar node at full moon, we see a lunar eclipse. :smile:

line-of-nodes-e1500029637840.png

eclipse-nodes.gif

IleneK

Premium Member
Thank you for this, JA. Just what I was looking for and very helpful.

A lunar node
is the point where, in its monthly orbit of Earth
the moon's orbit intersects that plane.

An eclipse is when
– from Earth's perspective
– the sun is close enough to a lunar node
to allow an eclipse to take place.

If the sun is close to a lunar node at full moon, we see a lunar eclipse. :smile:

line-of-nodes-e1500029637840.png

eclipse-nodes.gif

waybread

Eclipses and lunar nodes are usually close in terms of degrees of separation, but they can be in different signs and houses.

Osamenor

Staff member
The nodes are, by definition, the eclipse points. The sun and moon have to both be close to one of the nodes for a solar eclipse to happen. One of them has to be close to each node for a lunar eclipse.

However, close is relative. Eclipses take place when the sun is within 18 degrees of a node (moon has to be on the same degree as the sun for there to be an eclipse; eclipses happen at the exact full moon and exact new moon). That can be as much as a little over half a sign away. Doesn't quite meet the astrological definition of conjunction, but there's still a relationship between the sun and moon positions and the transiting nodes.

The closer the sun and moon are to the nodes, the closer to total the eclipse is. When they're farther away, it's a partial, annular, or penumbral eclipse.

Astrologically, eclipses have a stronger effect the closer they are to total, so stronger the closer they are to the nodes, and they have the strongest effect in locations where the eclipse is visible. That's especially true of solar eclipses. They also have the strongest effect on people with natal chart placements within 2-3 degrees of the eclipse.