Pluto in modern astrology

david starling

The greatest schism between Traditional and Modern-astrology is the interpretation of Pluto as a major Astrological Planet, because Pluto replaces Saturn as the outermost major indicator for Modern. Although I do consider Pluto as one of the "Big Ten", I'm not comfortable with the standard, Modern descriptions of its effect on a Chart. And, although I'm not against the theory that the 3 outer-Planets are "higher octaves" of the closer, more personal Planets , I don't subscribe to it myself. Each Planet has its own nature in terms of its effects, and shouldn't need to be seen as an extension of another. I think that we haven't fully understood what Pluto's really about, and that making definite statements in that regard is premature.

Last edited:

aldebaran

Re: Pluto in Modern and Traditional astrology

I have tried to study Pluto with attention since I realized often major events of my life include it.

I'm not satisfied with the modern symbolic comprehension of it, though I find awesome that so many people have already studied it based on the experience of transits - what doesn't mean I can say I understand it... I believe intensity and transformation are indeed related, but those two words are still too much vague.

I started each time to find more interesting the appeal to associate it with Bharani Nakshatra and the mythology of Yama - Jamshid.

Richness, power, accumulated energy, invisibility, wiseness, intensity - the Graal (cup of Jamshid) and Alchemy, etc.

wilsontc

Staff member
Pluto's place in modern astrology

All,

This thread is about Pluto's place in modern astrology, so discussions about whether or not Pluto is an astrological planet are irrelevant. Please stay on topic. If you want to discuss traditional astrology, do it on the traditional astrology Forum.

Back on topic,

Tim

ardentika

Same here. I'm very much tired of reading how Pluto is about death, Sex, obsession lol. If its a higher octave hows that higher??

I think Pluto is a collective planet and we can transform something just by observing it differently. And this is very plutonian- transformation. Pluto can dig out that little nasty worm in your psyche that keeps ruining your life so that you can heal it and remove it. Yet everyone is stuck on the nasty aspects.

I think this is due perhaps modern generation expecting things to happen easy and not willing to work for something be it your own self.

It's still mind bogging to me that people fear planets and act as if things are out of their control. This is where pluto steps in. And yeah it might be a little painful to come to that realization that no one else is responsible for your life than you. Not even planets lol.

Hence why traditional astrology doesnt have Pluto cos they still believe Planets rule their life.

Cary2

Banned
For about thirty years after Pluto was discovered, astrologers were mostly silent about its properties. It took thirty years of study before its properties began to be discussed and incorporated into natal chart interpretation. The other two outer planets suggested a collective meaning outside any other meanings, and Pluto shares this quality. The collective planets tend to track the trends in society.

I think danger is a good keyword for Pluto. You can start there. It often confers a facility upon someone, which might be used to advantage against others, and there are warnings about such misuse of Pluto. Its transits have an element of danger.

Many speak of power with Pluto, but such discussions of power often refer to power over others, or domination. I believe domination is corruption, not power, and corruption is another keyword for Pluto. Power is the capacity to do what you wish, and the capacity to keep yourself under control. It is safer to express Pluto as the power to do what you wish, and the power to keep yourself under control than to express Pluto as domination. Pluto may be central to self-knowledge.

Manipulation is just a subtle play for domination. One often sees the "tyranny of the weak" when a manipulator "uses psychology" to pull your strings and tamper with your free will by pretending a weakness or a wound that has been manufactured for effect.

Pluto is metaphysical. It contains information about how the universe works. It suggests that there is more to life and reality than we currently know. Those with Pluto angular have penetrating insight into this. They may feel that they are spiritual leaders. Strangely, Pluto is strong in many religious fundamentalists and in those who wander rather close to fanaticism. It tends to extremes.

Astrologers noted the correspondence between Pluto and transformation.

Last edited:

david starling

"Life after death." If you live believing in that, it definitely changes one's perspective. Isaac Asimov was a firm believer that life entirely ends with the death of the material body. Have you checked his chart relative to Pluto?

david starling

Billy Graham, who baptized Bob Dylan, had Sun in Scorpio close trine Venus in Cancer, wide (8 degree Orb) trine Pluto. Asimov was Sun, Moon, Saturn in Earth, Capricorn, Taurus, Virgo. That might also account for his materialistic attitude.

Last edited:

Cary2

Banned
Billy Graham, who baptized Bob Dylan, had Sun in Scorpio close trine Venus in Cancer, wide (8 degree Orb) trine Pluto. Asimov was Sun, Moon, Saturn in Earth, Capricorn, Taurus, Virgo. That might also account for his materialistic attitude.
Yeah, I agree.

Pluto is not proof of life after death, but Pluto tends to rule that area of speculation and research. Pluto seems to encourage exploration into that area. For some scientists, I think their interest in certain non-metaphysical topics may be part of Pluto's influence.

Atheism is a sensible approach; it doesn't cause me alarm or distaste. I'm not triggered by an antheistic thesis. But in the modern world, we have scientific investigations that suggest that a spirit world exists, so scientists are obligated by the scientific method to investigate credibly into that research before they decry such things. Some of the professional doubters are in fact professional hecklers. Some of the crowd who declare their disbelief in things that make them uncomfortable, are in fact fanatics of their own pet theories and superstitions, and they love to offend those who disagree. If you go to James Randi's site, you will be bowled over by the vitriol and gleeful defamation that colors the discourse. This is bigotry, and I am very critical of this.

I had a discussion with a physicist a couple of years ago who expressed bitter distaste for his colleagues who were deep into the quantum mechanical sector of his art. "They're just foolin' around.", he said. He is as afraid and indignant as any bigot. Like many scientists today, he is clinging to 19th century Newtonian physics that encouraged the world to believe that the universe is a lifeless place, essentially, where the various litter collide randomly without purpose. Many of them even insist that consciousness is impossible. Quantum mechanics proves that consciousness exists, and their formulae insert it into their equations. They have proof of consciousness, but many of their colleagues look away and whistle.

To see how fractured the world of science is, see The Fall of the House of Skeptics by Chris Carter. I found the book very entertaining, clear, and plausible with his sources cited.

Last edited:

greybeard

Among other things Pluto symbolizes Compulsion. A person under compulsion, whether its source is external or internal, may find it a bit tricky to regulate their "Pluto" and guide him toward his more positive expressions.

Hades rules the Underworld, that which is buried, unseen. Pluto acts out of, from, the Unconscious realm. We cannot control that which lies beyond consciousness.

Last edited:

greybeard

Pluto's astrological significance can be derived, or extracted, from the astronomical facts relating to the planet.

The fact that Pluto's orbital plane is in extreme inclination to the ecliptic holds meaning. Pluto-Charon is the solar system's only binary planet: there is astrological meaning in that.

Jupiter is our biggest planet, so he symbolizes all things big, expansive...like whales, elephants, balloons, bounty. Apply the same sort of thinking to Pluto.

Cary2

Banned
Pluto's astrological significance can be derived, or extracted, from the astronomical facts relating to the planet.

The fact that Pluto's orbital plane is in extreme inclination to the ecliptic holds meaning. Pluto-Charon is the solar system's only binary planet: there is astrological meaning in that.

Jupiter is our biggest planet, so he symbolizes all things big, expansive...like whales, elephants, balloons, bounty. Apply the same sort of thinking to Pluto.

Isn't Earth binary for the same reason? The Moon doesn't orbit Earth; but both Earth and Moon orbit the barycenter.

Last edited:

david starling

Isn't Earth binary for the same reason? The Moon doesn't orbit Earth; but both Earth and Moon orbit the baycenter.

The Sun orbits a barycenter also, caused by the orbiting Planets, especially Jupiter. I'm wondering if that causes a slight, periodic Solar retrograde movement due to the nutation.

greybeard

True, but you are comparing apples and oranges. Sun-Jupiter is the relationship of planet to star. With Pluto-Charon it is a single planetary system, which is therefore binary in nature, and this fact acquires significance in delineation.

david starling

True, but you are comparing apples and oranges. Sun-Jupiter is the relationship of planet to star. With Pluto-Charon it is a single planetary system, which is therefore binary in nature, and this fact acquires significance in delineation.

Actually, I agree with you about P!uto. Makes for a different dynamic. My comment about the Sun involves the possibility that the Sun has occasional retrograde movement as it orbits its baricenter, due to what's known as Nutation. So, if that's the case, any one of us could have Sun retrograde! Feeling lazy, one could blame it on that! :biggrin:

Last edited:

Irisiel

I think this was a fascinating conversation that I wish the senior members here had taken up! :smile:

Pluto as a double-Planet is always at the forefront of my mind, and I'd really like to hear ideas on the ramifications of that for Pluto's meaning and influence.

I understand its inclination to the ecliptic, but really have no experience yet reading about that as a facet for astrology.

Monk

Premium Member
I'm a Pluto M.C. with Regulus, Scorpio rising, it has always pushed me to delve into secrets regarding religion.
It has burned away things in my life, to start something new, it hurts but i'm not afraid of its influence, transformation isn't bad!

david starling

I'm a Pluto M.C. with Regulus, Scorpio rising, it has always pushed me to delve into secrets regarding religion.
It has burned away things in my life, to start something new, it hurts but i'm not afraid of its influence, transformation isn't bad!

Since I include the legendary Egyptian phoenix as the higher avatar of the Sign known as Scorpio, having the Phoenix rising at the intersection of the Sun's geocentric path around the Earth with the Eastern Horizon at dawn is....rather significant to me in that regard.

Rising reborn from the ashes of a fire of your own making is a unique form of transformation.