Synopsis of this Forum

Pleasantries to one and all,

I would like to familiarize myself with the current landscape of this forum and my observations have led me to believe that this is the most active section of the website.

Therefore, I am requesting some information that would help me decide if this forum is the right one for me.

Hopefully I am not coming off as too presumptuous. It is simply that the fastest way to a goal is oftentimes the most direct.

Thank you for reading.

JUPITERASC

I would like to familiarize myself with the current landscape of this forum
and my observations have led me to believe
that this is the most active section of the website.

Therefore, I am requesting some information that would help me decide
if this forum is the right one for me.

Hopefully I am not coming off as too presumptuous.
It is simply that the fastest way to a goal is oftentimes the most direct.

Thank you for reading.
Our GENERAL NATAL ASTROLOGY board
for BOTH Modern AND Traditional discussion
is at
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum...isplay.php?f=7

for those who wish to focus on STRICTLY MODERN ONLY
discussion is at
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum...splay.php?f=95

for those who wish to focus on STRICTLY TRADITIONAL ONLY
discussion is
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum...splay.php?f=92

VEDIC, CHINESE, HORARY and many other boards
are also available :smile:

david starling

I would like to familiarize myself with the current landscape of this forum and my observations have led me to believe that this is the most active section of the website.

Therefore, I am requesting some information that would help me decide if this forum is the right one for me.

Hopefully I am not coming off as too presumptuous. It is simply that the fastest way to a goal is oftentimes the most direct.

Thank you for reading.

It would help if you would delineate the landscape of your "goal". :smile:

Thank you very much for posting those links JUPITERASC. Though, I already knew where to find those sections. Rather, to answer David Starling's question, I would like to know if the current crop of members are serious about the pursuit of astrology. It has come to my attention that this section gets the most activity and I am not one to waste time with idle chatter. Hopefully I have made myself more clear.

chris10

Thank you very much for posting those links JUPITERASC. Though, I already knew where to find those sections. Rather, to answer David Starling's question, I would like to know if the current crop of members are serious about the pursuit of astrology. It has come to my attention that this section gets the most activity and I am not one to waste time with idle chatter. Hopefully I have made myself more clear.

All you need to do is to stick around for a while - a few minutes a day is enough - and see if it satisfies your taste. To be honest though, as you already probably know, an internet forum is not the best way to learn astrology. It helps but if you are short of time I wouldn't recommend it.

Thank you Chris10 and StillOne for the advice.To StillOne, I sense a curt tone in your post which I think is unwarranted. I will disregard it and take your directions into consideration as I am not here to make enemies.

katydid

Thank you Chris10 and StillOne for the advice.To StillOne, I sense a curt tone in your post which I think is unwarranted. I will disregard it and take your directions into consideration as I am not here to make enemies.

There are a lot of serious astrologers and serious astrology students here. But there are also lots of trolls and jokers. So if you cannot scroll and roll, to get to the good stuff, then better just move on now...lol:ninja:

StillOne

No problem, I will remove my post and read on. Best wishes to you, FORUM ASSOCIATE.

chris10

Thank you Chris10 and StillOne for the advice.
Post your chart. I am just an on-off astrology student, not an astro-loger so I cannot really be of any help. However, there are quite a few on here who are quite helpful with reading people's charts.

Lately, as you have already noted there is much activity in the chat forums :biggrin: Most are in a lighter mood than usual :happy: ... could be the transits :love:

Thank you Katydid for your response. I have a decent ability to cut out fluff so knowing that there is some semblance of seriousness, I will stick around.

StillOne, it was not my intention to leave a bad taste in your mouth. Best wishes to you as well.

Chris10, I prefer not to. I will be posting later about an aspect in my son's chart that has gotten my attention lately. It seems to be having a troublesome effect on his behaviour that I hope will not impede his future prospects. Thank you for the offer, however.

Abby83

Very true. Just steer clear from the chat sections and u will be happy :).

All you need to do is to stick around for a while - a few minutes a day is enough - and see if it satisfies your taste. To be honest though, as you already probably know, an internet forum is not the best way to learn astrology. It helps but if you are short of time I wouldn't recommend it.

But this forum USED to be a way ppl learnt astrology and was a good way to learn. I learnt more from this site than from other ppl or sources :).

Bunraku

I learned a lot from tSmall, JupiterASC, and Oddity - they all were very helpful with their posts and clarified many things for me and even teaching me techniques and methods. :love:
CS also for helping streamline the thought processes and answering my questions. :love:

My best advice is to stay true to the teachings of astrology. We can learn many things from the old authors. :love:

david starling

Thank you Katydid for your response. I have a decent ability to cut out fluff so knowing that there is some semblance of seriousness, I will stick around.

StillOne, it was not my intention to leave a bad taste in your mouth. Best wishes to you as well.

Chris10, I prefer not to. I will be posting later about an aspect in my son's chart that has gotten my attention lately. It seems to be having a troublesome effect on his behaviour that I hope will not impede his future prospects. Thank you for the offer, however.

Keep in mind that Mercury is currently Transiting-retrograde, and may be contributing to a "less serious than usual" attitude within the Community. You present as an extremely serious, precise sort of person--is that how you would characterize yourself?

chris10

But this forum USED to be a way ppl learnt astrology and was a good way to learn. I learnt more from this site than from other ppl or sources :).

I don't mean to sound ungrateful to AW ; I'm just being honest.
If you were an astro student having to take tests on it and all you had were two hours to study would you open your books or come to AW?
Forum Associate said himself :
and I am not one to waste time ....
so the man is pretty busy.
AW is great and you can learn lots -just like I have - but you may spend hours reading thread after thread to get to the really good stuff.

I'm on here during periods with free time on my hands but I stay away when there is lack of it.

Marinka

This is probably not the right forum to expect reasonable and thoughtful answers from however, this is affecting more than just this astrology forum, so any forum that you visit will likely have the same symptoms to a varying degree. The administrator on this forum is decent but, it's hard to steer "Uranian" people to produce serious discussions.

There are not as many good astrologers left (responding) on this forum but, there are are few left. Overall, the trolls have overtaken the forum as you have already noticed from the preponderance of "Chat" and "Hot Topic" posts. I check in occasionally and the frequency of non-astrology related posts is sad .... I keep hoping that this forum will start down a better path and curtail the non-astrology posts but, that's up to the forum owner and as it probably produces "clicks" and revenue, not likely to change

Take my comment with a grain of salt though -- I am a contemporary astrologer and as a result, not welcome where traditionalists rule ....

Oddity

Then you should feel most welcome here, Marinka. There are only three trad astrologers who ever poke their heads out the horary forum, and probably another three who stay put there.

sibylline

The Chat forum is useful as sometimes you want to discuss something that isn't directly related to astrology and the astrology sub-forums do not allow that. It also helps to build a sense of community since it allows members to get to know each other outside of the impersonal astrological discussions.

That said, yes, chat has become the go-to forum. My answer to that would be to begin interesting astrological discussions that people will want to respond to. After all, people did join this forum because they were interested in astrology. I doubt that has changed, but people will generally respond to what is available.

As far as the trolling, moderation has been slower since it is the holidays and the chat forum has become the most active. Trolling behavior thrives in this sort of environment. I think we may need one or two more mods, at least temporarily, to stem the tide. A lot of work is falling on the shoulders of only one or two moderators.

JUPITERASC

The Chat forum is useful as sometimes you want to discuss something that isn't directly related to astrology and the astrology sub-forums do not allow that. It also helps to build a sense of community since it allows members to get to know each other outside of the impersonal astrological discussions.

That said, yes, chat has become the go-to forum. My answer to that would be to begin interesting astrological discussions that people will want to respond to. After all, people did join this forum because they were interested in astrology. I doubt that has changed, but people will generally respond to what is available.

As far as the trolling, moderation has been slower since it is the holidays and the chat forum has become the most active. Trolling behavior thrives in this sort of environment.

I think we may need one or two more mods, at least temporarily, to stem the tide.
A lot of work is falling on the shoulders of only one or two moderators.

That's a good topic for discussion on the
HELP WITH FORUMS AND SUGGESTIONS board
:smile:
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22

aquarius7000

The Chat forum is useful as sometimes you want to discuss something that isn't directly related to astrology and the astrology sub-forums do not allow that. It also helps to build a sense of community since it allows members to get to know each other outside of the impersonal astrological discussions...
Hi,

Whilst I am per se not against the chat forum, I do want to mention the downside of it. Or rather, let me mention the positives of a serious Astrology-Only forum, which was the primary focus and objective of AW, too, at least when I was the moderator. Only people that were really interested in Astrology, either to (further) learn it and/or to help others with their knowledge, visited this forum. This is not to say that we did not have trolls back then, but they were quite limited. All that made it much, much easier to keep one's focus on Astrology, not get distracted (which even I do at times) by all the other completely unrelated fluff, and also to find specific information on astrological matters when one was looking for it. Another big advantage of an Astrology-Only forum is that, due to very curtailed unnecessary and sometimes really provocative distractions, arguments and again trolling were both quite limited, too.:sideways:

You see, there are enough forums out there to talk about politics, drugs and rock-and-roll (to put it mildly) without any focus, whatsoever, on Astrology. The quality of AW has suffered quite a bit ever since the Chat Board took off on here. :sideways:

Not only is there a plethora of forums for all the chat fluff out there, there is also a Chat Room on this AW forum itself. I certainly wish that the Admin of this forum would re-consider the provision of the Chat Board on AW.:sideways:

As to admin or AW related questions, there is a Help With Forums' section. And, of course, it does reduce the moderators' work tremendously, too, and they too can then focus a bit more on Astrology themselves.:sideways:

Needless to say, the above is my personal opinion.:smile:

sibylline

aquarius7000, no disagreements there. I do think the most active subforums and members will tend to dictate the forum culture as a whole.

I'm beginning a topic in the Suggestions subforum about adding more moderators.