which house would represent a Lotto win?

rafaella

Hey Guys,

Just wondering which house do I look at in a question about lotto? Significator of 11th house (my hopes and wishes) or 5th (gambling)?

thanks

R

archergirl

Nope. Pennies from heaven is the 11th house. If the 11th house ruler is stronger than the significator of the querent, forget about a win...(edit) unless there is a positive aspect between them. But even then, don't get your hopes up!

AG:)

Last edited:

RayAustin

I'm a little conflicted :p

I would have to say one should look at both but 5th most importantly... the 11th implies no effort involved, while the lottery is more along the lines of gambling and speculation (5th), money is spent, in hopes of reaping something. If one is wrong then it is a loss, while the 11th is more of pure fortune and the hope, wish of winning. I would say consider the fifth foremost and then look at jupiter, especially if it is placed in the 11th, where he joys. Then look at the eleventh because (according to skyscript, which I happen to agree with) it is more of a beneficial influence than a guarantee.

archergirl

The 5th house doesn't really represent gambling; it represents contests and having fun. A lottery win isn't even gambling; it's pennies from heaven. Trust me, it's the 11th.;)

I'll add a supporting quote here:

Gambling is often regarded as a 5th house activity. But if someone is asking a question about gambling, the point at issue is the profit to be made...having a good time is a 5th house matter; turning a profit is not. ..Lotteries are not a contest. At least, they are a contest only if the querent has developed a scheme to outwit the lottery company; then it becomes 'us against them' and should be judged from the 8th house...Lotteries are seen as the querent holding out his hands to see if good fortune will fall into them: pennies from Heaven. As such, they are judged from the 11th house: does Lord 11 aspect the querent or his pocket?
Frawley: The Horary Textbook 159

Last edited:

RayAustin

archergirl said:
The 5th house is gambling for the sake of gambling and having fun. A lottery win isn't even gambling; it's pennies from heaven. Trust me, it's the 11th.;)

I will surmise that it's up to the astrologer and what works for he or she.
Apparently Deborah Houlding uses the 5th, which I would use as well. A lottery win *is* gambling for money, it's not pennies from the heaven for nothing. One spends money to win money, and often, many people spend much more money then they end up reaping as far as I've seen.

Here's my supporting quote, Lawl.
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/temples/h5.html

Horse-racing, betting on sport, lotteries and all forms of gambling and speculation. Speculation on the stock market is often assigned here but where the investment is based upon financial or business decisions the 2nd house has more relevance. Although Ivy Goldstein-Jacobson popularised the notion that it rules speculation on the stock market, she defined its influence as ruling "everything whose outcome is a matter of chance" ([SHA], p.163).

archergirl

Deb is a teacher of mine. She uses the traditional interpretations as proposed by Lilly, but I prefer Frawley's take on it; he's captured the essence of what the issue really is. You don't enter the lottery to 'have fun'. You play to win. You go to a concert to have fun (5th house). Maybe people gamble to have fun; but I would bet (ha!) that most people gamble in the hopes of winning. Certainly, I do. This is about profit and loss, so actually should be seen from the 2nd house: money. I have asked lottery questions for myself on a number of occasions, and the 11th has my money. So to speak.;)

And further, gambling as a contest should actually be seen from the 7th, which is 'us against them', so betting against the house and winning would be 8th house: their money. Gambling for a leisure activity is the 5th. Lotteries don't really fall into this; it's not like you play a hand. You pays your money, and hopes it pays it back to you. There is no contest involved; there is no 'us against them', or playing against the croupier; you are hoping that the money you paid in, gets paid out again, so, again this is 11th house: hopes. That's all you have when you play the lottery, no matter how much you fork out.

Last edited:

RayAustin

archergirl said:
Deb is a teacher of mine. She uses the traditional interpretations as proposed by Lilly, but I prefer Frawley's take on it; he's captured the essence of what the issue really is. You don't enter the lottery to 'have fun'. You play to win. You go to a concert to have fun (5th house). Maybe people gamble to have fun; but I would bet (ha!) that most people gamble in the hopes of winning. Certainly, I do. This is about profit and loss, so actually should be seen from the 2nd house: money. I have asked lottery questions for myself on a number of occasions, and the 11th has my money. So to speak.;)

And further, gambling as a contest should actually be seen from the 7th, which is 'us against them', so betting against the house and winning would be 8th house: their money. Gambling for a leisure activity is the 5th. Lotteries don't really fall into this; it's not like you play a hand. You pays your money, and hopes it pays it back to you. There is no contest involved; there is no 'us against them', or playing against the croupier; you are hoping that the money you paid in, gets paid out again, so, again this is 11th house: hopes. That's all you have when you play the lottery, no matter how much you fork out.

I disagree... gambling to win, gambling for fun, are interchangable things. I don't know people that gamble to gamble, spend their money to spend it. Most, I think, are more interested in the chance to get their money back threefold. I can't see ignoring the fifth, or favoring the eleventh more because of the simple wish and hope aspect, which would automatically happen anyway with gambling.

Eleventh is just that --- the hope of winning, fifth to me is the actual game or gamble and chance of winning. The fact that you speculate at numbers and play a game of luck and chance, is the grounding fact of my argument. The amount of money or larger the chance shouldn't change the house, imo.

Edit: I also think, from my readings, that looking at planets (jupiter and venus) and their aspects are far more important.
Ra:cool:

Last edited:

archergirl

Well, we can agree to disagree then. The 11th house has worked for every lottery question I've ever done. Maybe your experience will tell you differently.:)

RayAustin

archergirl said:
Well, we can agree to disagree then. The 11th house has worked for every lottery question I've ever done. Maybe your experience will tell you differently.:)

Haha, yeah, we'll see.

studentforever

ref lotto win

horary question for chance to win a lotto bet this evening

Querent Mars.
Mercury, ruler of 11th house of the chart is in 1st house, partile degree and position with transiting Saturn and Venus of 13 September 2013.

Mercury sextiling Jupiter, sitting in 3rd house, naturally governed by Mercury.
Jupiter receives Mercury by term, not mutual. Jupiter in fall.

Mercury receives Mars by triplicity, term and face. Mercury has no detriments nor fall.

Mars receives Mercury by term. Mars in fall of Sun, ruler of MC

Moon trining Sun, ruler of MC. Sun receives Moon by face, not mutual.

POF in 8th house, conjunct NN. 8th cuspid in Weeping sisters' cluster, although I must say that in the past, transits at that degree meant that my head went really spinning:innocent:.
Natal antiscion NN at 28° Taurus
Natal Midpoint Pluto7POF at 28° Taurus

Attachments

• mio horary for lotto win today 6 oct 2020.jpg
    mio horary for lotto win today 6 oct 2020.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 59

studentforever

Feedback

Let me say, first, that the chart for 6th of October was radical being Mars Planetary ruler.

Did not hit the big win yet, I won, although just a little money. Now, let's read the chart knowing the result.

Jupiter rules 2nd intercepted and 5th. Jupiter is in 3rd H, whose natural ruler is Mercury; Jupiter receives Mercury, ruler of 11th, but unfortunately he is in fall.

Mercury is in first house Scorpio and here too, Mars, although dignified by being in his own sign and receiving Mercury as he is in 6th house, is in a cadent house.

Moon was perfecting a square to Venus, from a malefic degree in the cluster of the Weeping Sisters.
Moon was also trining Sun, ruler of MC but in fall and in 12th house, so, the emphasis on 13° indicated a lesser benefit.

Timing seems to be set by distance Venus, ruler of 8th and cuspid of 11th house.

Another indication was given by distance Moon/Sun: 11.03 units
In fact, results were given at H20m30, i.e. 12 units.

Being Mercury, ruler of 11th house, I would take it that 11th house is involved with Lotto.

violaciao

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
All,

This section is only for discussion of horary charts. Several of you posted about natal charts and transits related to gambling wins you'd experienced. That is off topic in the horary section. Posts deleted for that reason. If you want to discuss natal chart transits, please post on the Transits board, not here.

Redirecting,
Osamenor

All,

This section is only for discussion of horary charts. Several of you posted about natal charts and transits related to gambling wins you'd experienced. That is off topic in the horary section. Posts deleted for that reason. If you want to discuss natal chart transits, please post on the Transits board, not here.

Redirecting,
Osamenor

Hello. I think my comment was deleted and I was talking about an horary chart.

Osamenor

Staff member
Hello. I think my comment was deleted and I was talking about an horary chart.

You referred to "my chart" without specifying that it was a horary chart. If you do indeed have a relevant horary chart to share about, you may remake the post, but make it clear that you're talking about a horary chart.

Senecar

I feel that it depends on the querent's psychological state before buying the tickets.
If the querent was buying lotto tickets under gambling mind just for fun, then it should be 5th house.
If it was for desperate wishes and hopes, then it should be 11th house?
If it was for both reasons, then 11+5=16/2 = 8th house? (someone else's money or inheritance, 8th house still relates to money matters).

rafaella

Wow this is an old post, very old post of mine.
Since asking this question, I've gained a bit more understanding of horary. I would look at 11th for lottery. However there are those who play lotto in a systematic way, and win small prizes everytime. These are less of a gamblers., and have specific strategies, they study previous wins and choose numbers that are more 'hot'. For them lotto win would be more 5th house. I'm also into stocks, crypto etc, and I'd use 5th for this, as its investment rather than pure gambling.

IleneK

Premium Member
The 5th house signifies lotteries and all forms of gambling and speculation. Speculation on the stock market is often assigned here but where the investment is based upon financial or business decisions the 2nd house has more relevance