Natal Planets conjunct house cusps

R4VEN

Now, I know this has been mentioned in passing within another thread somewhere, but I haven't seen this discussed in a thread of its own.

I have most of my natal planets conjunct house cusps. In fact, only Sun, Moon, Jupiter, and the Moon's north & South nodes are not in conjunction with a cusp. I use the Koch house system, but it turns out the same even when I use Placidus.

The house cusps affected are 6th, 7th, 8th, MC, and 11th. The affairs of all these houses have been very intense for me. In fact, sometimes I feel like my natal chart is like a mouthful of sore teeth. :eek:

Anyone else have this sort of thing, and how does it affect you?

Any ideas on whether it's the planets in conjunction with cusps which intensify the houses, or the other way around?
(and I apologise if this has been discussed elsewhere)

waybread

A lot of astrologers would suggest that if you have a planet in one house but very close to the cusp of the next one, you would count its influence as being principally in the next one.

One thing you might do is play around with different house systems, and see whether your cuspy planets change houses much with different systems.

I have one such planet that jumps around with different house systems, between the 5th and the 6th. I generally feel that it partakes of both, but I actually feel the 5th more strongly--perhaps because it conjuncts my 5th house sun. So I think there can be a "gravitational pull" by other planets.

Also if you have a cuspy-planet that is retrograde, I would think it will look backwards towards the affairs of the house it is in.

R4VEN

waybread said:
I have one such planet that jumps around with different house systems, between the 5th and the 6th. I generally feel that it partakes of both, but I actually feel the 5th more strongly--perhaps because it conjuncts my 5th house sun. So I think there can be a "gravitational pull" by other planets.

Also if you have a cuspy-planet that is retrograde, I would think it will look backwards towards the affairs of the house it is in.
Thanks for that info, waybread.

My natal Uranus is one which is so close to the 6th house cusp, that it jumps into the 6th with Placidus, but is just in 5th with Koch. I also count it as influencing both houses, although am aware of Uranus' strong influence with my children, both very `unusual' and unique and quite rebellious in relation to The System, so I feel it stronger in the 5th. Uranus is closely conj natal Venus, but Venus stays in the 6th with both house systems, still conj 6th house cusp.

EJ53

Banned
Hi R4Ven,

I posted the following on another thread, but it might have some relevance here :-

As a matter of interest (if only to me), Bruno and Louise Huber (who founded the Astrological Psychology Institute in 1962) discuss this issue in their book "The Astrological Houses - A Psychological View of Man and His World". And, their model of the strongest/weakest house points is :-

64094968eac6ceddf.jpg

They believe "House Cusps are zones of high activity, where energies accumulate most strongly and are intensely directed externally.......Planets there react strongly to outside stimulation and gain fulfillment through the environment."

Planets before the cusp are deemed to be still occupied with the theme of their natal house but "interested in/striving towards" that of the next house. Those after the cusp are focused fully on the affairs of the natal house and tend to operate more effectively because of this.
Hi R4Ven,

EJ:)

Edit - I have a Uranus in 9th/Jupiter in 4th opposition exactly on the MC/IC.......and it's made itself felt strongly in the 3rd/4th/9th/10th houses (as a problem relating to the communication of ideas/ideals in both the home and the career)...........The planets/aspect in the signs and houses describe the problem and it's intensity....but being on those house cusps makes it highly visible to others.

Last edited:

natasa812

EJ53 said:
Planets before the cusp are deemed to be still occupied with the theme of their natal house but "interested in/striving towards" that of the next house. Those after the cusp are focused fully on the affairs of the natal house and tend to operate more effectively because of this.

This is very true. I find my Sun more in 10th than in 9th (since it is on a 0.05 degrees distance from MC) and interpreted by professional astrologer was interpreted in 10th.

Moon is in 7th on 1,56 degrees and DC is at 1,22 degrees. Since Moon represents changes, I can not find anything positive in this position...

Regards
Natasa

R4VEN

EJ53 said:
Hi R4Ven,

I posted the following on another thread, but it might have some relevance here :-

As a matter of interest (if only to me), Bruno and Louise Huber (who founded the Astrological Psychology Institute in 1962) discuss this issue in their book "The Astrological Houses - A Psychological View of Man and His World". And, their model of the strongest/weakest house points is :-

64094968eac6ceddf.jpg

They believe "House Cusps are zones of high activity, where energies accumulate most strongly and are intensely directed externally.......Planets there react strongly to outside stimulation and gain fulfillment through the environment."

Hi R4Ven,

Edit - I have a Uranus in 9th/Jupiter in 4th opposition exactly on the MC/IC.......and it's made itself felt strongly in the 3rd/4th/9th/10th houses (as a problem relating to the communication of ideas/ideals in both the home and the career)...........The planets/aspect in the signs and houses describe the problem and it's intensity....but being on those house cusps makes it highly visible to others.

OK, thanks for that, EJ. As usual, your explanation/insight makes sense to me. In particular, I resonate with this quote:

For me, the MC & DSC feel particularly `raw' with Mercury (unaspected) and Sun/Moon MP conj DSC, and Mars conj Neptune both conj MC. The latter has led me to experiencing a very fractured (and largely unsatisfying, even unfulfilling) career path.

House systems is a very personal point for me. I seem to be in the minority for Equalhouse...

House systems
Lots of people that come into Astrology get their free charts calculated at www.astro.com and the default ‘house system’ used is Placidus and think that’s just the norm and all that there is……..BUT that is just the tip of the iceberg. You can change the default on astro.com in Extended Chart selection to Equal house and a few more.

Throughout the forums but mainly in natal astrology there are two main branches Placidus (unequal size houses) v Equal House (whereby each house is same size) but lots more……. For more information on these go here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_(astrology)#Description
http://www.astrolozy.com/article19.asp

The only way to go with this is to study, look at transits and progressions for timings of things and see 'which glove fits'

:D

R4VEN

EJ53 said:
EJ,
I have only just checked this out. I was born a few months earlier than you, so `escaped' the Jupiter-Uranus opp. That's a very stressful position for it, but - it certainly describes what I see here within your contribution to these boards. i.e. intellectual enthusiasm and energy; some unconventional approaches (which fortunately are very welcome in this environment!); an ability to do the research (thoroughly) and then present your findings (clearly & concisely); an ability to stick your neck out, and then follow through.

I figure you would have been born a day or so after Prince Charles. Interesting that he has expressed this opposition (Ur in 11th, Jup in 5th) in his interests in architecture, alternative healing methods, and has followed this through with his organic farming. No doubt this has been difficult for him to sustain given the media's ridicule of anything seen as being different.

cindystubbs

I read that planets on the angles were "wide open doors" with energy that went outwards, I didn't know it about house cusps.

I have all my planets on house cusps except for five or six. I'd say it's a raw energy these planets express, an Aries like energy.
This energy is so deep down I hardly recognize it myself.
It is like this energy is a baby and doesn't know where to go.
I have little understanding of planets at my house cusps.
They say the house itself can be broken down into Aries representing the first degree, Taurus the second and so on...so maybe I am feeling Arian energy from degree, the beginning of a house is like Aries, which represents beginnings.
I have lots of negative thoughts, perhaps someone could enlighten me as to why that is???? I'll try to post my chart.

Attachments

• astro_w2gw_01_cynthia_stubbs_hp_38573_14232.gif
    astro_w2gw_01_cynthia_stubbs_hp_38573_14232.gif
    29.5 KB · Views: 85
Hi, I'm a modern astrologer that uses Equal house system
You have calculated your chart using the default on astro.com of placidus and I use Equal House system and am a modern astrologer. Lots of people that come into Astrology get their free charts calculated at www.astro.com and the default ‘house system’ used is Placidus and think that’s just the norm and all that there is……..BUT that is just the tip of the iceberg. You can change the default on astro.com in Extended Chart selection to Equal house and a few more.

Throughout the forums but mainly in natal astrology there are two main branches Placidus (unequal size houses) v Equal House (whereby each house is same size) but lots more……. For more information on these go here.

There are only two planets involved in house cusp matters,your venus in 12th at 28'. Anything within 5' of next cusp going anti clockwise they say has more of an influence in the next house. So Venus is really conj Asc, so i expect you like to dress nicely, aesthecitcally, prob expensively and be quite attractive.

Sun conj 2nd house cusp suggest strong interest in 'how you earn your money and values, beliefs' are of prime important to you.

The other plants are well ensconsed in their houses.;)

poshslob

I have Venus in the 8th house, a degree and change away from the 9th house cusp.

I definitely feel Venus in the 9th house more than the 8th house.

If I change house systems from Placidus to Poryphory, Koch or equal, my Venus shifts into the 9th. I use the Poryphory house system when I post my chart because not all astrologers know the rule if a planet is 2 degrees away from the next house cusp, it counts for the next house.

freedomlover

I see the planets on cusps as being so important because the planet is desperately trying to blend the energies of the two houses. This can be quite a feat.

For example: I have Moon in Aquarius in the 1st, cusp of 2nd. So, my emotions are tied up in trying to be a free, unique, and progressive individual who is part of the group, as myself, as others see me ( Moon in Aquarius in 1st house) , and also blending this with the additional burden of my emotions being tied up with being a free, unique, and progressive individual, who is part of the group as pertains to money/self-worth, talents, etc. ( Moon in Aquarius in 2nd house).

I also have Neptune in Scorpio in the 10th, but some house systems put it in the 11th. Therefore I kind of see these two blending in interpretation, as well. However, I'm not really sure how to describe these, other than my career and public image(10th) is tied to 11th house, humanitarian-type descriptions. Anybody else have other interpretations to offer?

To:R4VEN:
My natal Uranus is one which is so close to the 6th house cusp, that it jumps into the 6th with Placidus, but is just in 5th with Koch. I also count it as influencing both houses, although am aware of Uranus' strong influence with my children, both very `unusual' and unique and quite rebellious in relation to The System, so I feel it stronger in the 5th. Uranus is closely conj natal Venus, but Venus stays in the 6th with both house systems, still conj 6th house cusp.

I can't remember what signs your planets are in. ( I know I looked at your chart before...) However, you might want to look at Uranus on the cusp of the 5th/6th as how you felt as a child regarding freedom,individuality, and rebellion, as regards to 6th house matters - health, routine, service, daily chores, etc. This may shed some light on things for you.

FL

R4VEN

freedomlover said:

I can't remember what signs your planets are in. ( I know I looked at your chart before...) However, you might want to look at Uranus on the cusp of the 5th/6th as how you felt as a child regarding freedom,individuality, and rebellion, as regards to 6th house matters - health, routine, service, daily chores, etc. This may shed some light on things for you.

FL
Sheesh, FL, how do you do it???

Have always looked at my Uranus (late in Gemini) flipping backwards over 6th house cusp (also Gemini) as being about my own children - which it in part describes. Had not even considered relating this to my own childhood................:eek::eek::eek:
The last few days have seen me deep in examining-the-past activity, all to do with my early childhood, and how I was `set up' to serve the needs of others, and my own freedom to express myself and my individuality was not valued - in fact, this was actively discouraged, even stymied. I can even remember at 17 - I'd shut myself in my bedroom and play my guitar and attempt to write songs, and no sooner had I done this than my mother would demand that I help her in the kitchen. She wasn't enjoying herself, had no outlet for self-expression or rebellion, so why should I? :eek: (My Cancer moon is also ensconced in the 6th)

Thanks for the sign-post, FL. As usual, you are spot on! :30:

Claire19

waybread said:
A lot of astrologers would suggest that if you have a planet in one house but very close to the cusp of the next one, you would count its influence as being principally in the next one.

One thing you might do is play around with different house systems, and see whether your cuspy planets change houses much with different systems.

I have similar with my Saturn which sits right on the 6th cusp but in the 5th. If you have aspects to this planet from elsewhere then it gives influence from those other houses. Also Saturn is in Leo in 5th which gives a stronger influence however it is connected to another 6th house planet by conjunction and pulls it in. I have arthritis in my hands i.e. Saturn conjunct Mercury. I have had lovers who were younger and Geminis, met in a setting of everyday ritual such as eating or shopping. So again the 5th and 6th house are involved.

I feel the orb would have to be within say 3 degrees of the house cusp to have effect. Transits can illuminate this question when they occur.

Claire19

The 5th house does not deal with childhood experiences unless it has a strong connection to the 1st for the early environment or the 3rd for early school days.

The 5th house is your children and their education not your childhood.

freedomlover

Claire19 said:
The 5th house does not deal with childhood experiences unless it has a strong connection to the 1st for the early environment or the 3rd for early school days.

The 5th house is your children and their education not your childhood.

I beg to differ. 5th house is naturally ruled by the Sun, which has to do with your ego, your life's purpose, your reason for being. What period of life has the most effect on these issues? Childhood.

It also depends on which method you're using to interpret the chart. I'm speaking of a psychological type reading.

FL

tanamarios

I see the planets on cusps as being so important because the planet is desperately trying to blend the energies of the two houses. This can be quite a feat.

For example: I have Moon in Aquarius in the 1st, cusp of 2nd. So, my emotions are tied up in trying to be a free, unique, and progressive individual who is part of the group, as myself, as others see me ( Moon in Aquarius in 1st house) , and also blending this with the additional burden of my emotions being tied up with being a free, unique, and progressive individual, who is part of the group as pertains to money/self-worth, talents, etc. ( Moon in Aquarius in 2nd house).

I also have Neptune in Scorpio in the 10th, but some house systems put it in the 11th. Therefore I kind of see these two blending in interpretation, as well. However, I'm not really sure how to describe these, other than my career and public image(10th) is tied to 11th house, humanitarian-type descriptions. Anybody else have other interpretations to offer?

FL

Agreed with you. My natal Moon, Mercury & Jupiter are close to the next house , but im feeling more like between the house positioned and the next house.

I have natal pluto 7th conj 8th cusp well aspected. I have always attracted strong plutonian types BUT I am psychic (albeit late in developing) and even been psychically attacked by 'nasties' on the astral planes. Have had terrible power struggles with Ex's over finances and child maintenance (4x one year in Court). I also am a Shamballa MDH healer and teacher

So the closer the house cusp the strong the influence and urge to next house for me and here's some research supporting this

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=202304&postcount=7

I also have Neptune 9th conj 10th very tight within minutes. Neptune in 9th dissolves relationships with in-laws (which it has done) and 10th house can 'act a part, or wear a hat' but can also be sacrifices for and dissolving careers and what you are known for.

Last edited:

Blackempress

House systems is a very personal point for me. I seem to be in the minority for Equalhouse...

House systems
Lots of people that come into Astrology get their free charts calculated at www.astro.com and the default ‘house system’ used is Placidus and think that’s just the norm and all that there is……..BUT that is just the tip of the iceberg. You can change the default on astro.com in Extended Chart selection to Equal house and a few more.

The only way to go with this is to study, look at transits and progressions for timings of things and see 'which glove fits'

:D

Awesome.. All this time u kept saying "House systems" & NOW I get it. Thanks. I can see how the planets shift around with the different sets. VERY.Interesting. ty

Noth

Hello,

I had just this question in mind when I registered on this forum. This is useful material for me; thank you to those who posted in response (even if years have gone by since those posts were made!).

If a planet nearing a given house cusp will influence the affairs of both houses, are there other factors that might determine the nature of this influence? For example, based on my own chart, neptune influences the affairs of both the eighth and the ninth, while saturn is more clearly active in the seventh alone. I wonder if this is connected to the fact that, in my experience (and there is material in the beginners section that mentions this, and plenty of material in other places, too), the angles "attract" an approaching planet at a wider orb than do the cusps of succedent or cadent houses; might a planet then "linger" in an angular house? Do aspects play a part? Or don't those considerations come into play?

Another question I have is this: what house is a planet in when it is nearing the cusp, regardless of where it exerts its influence? To use my own chart again, is neptune located in the ninth or eighth? The question came to me when looking at planets ruling its house: the decision to place it in either saturn-ruled ninth or jupiter-ruled eighth (or both--I don't think "or neither" is a likely response(!)) has implications for further interpretations (aspects between house-rulers, etc), ditto for saturn.

I'm using the Placidus system and a predominantly "modern" approach, although of course I'm open to any and all insights. I'm interested in the general, but in case anyone wants to field the specific questions, here are the degrees in question on my own chart, which may be difficult to identify on the attached photo:
8th cusp: sag 15.17
saturn: sag 13.39
9th cusp: cap 7.00
neptune: cap 5.08

Attachments

• chart.gif
    chart.gif
    50.6 KB · Views: 68