Can you pinpoint in our own chart why you are inclined to astrology?

david starling

I currently am of the opinion that Aries is Sign number 1 through Pisces as number 12. What sequence are you using? I don't think I've heard of it. And what's this "IT Revolution"? I 'm always interested in new ideas and concepts. The word "digital" is from the number 10: Ten digits, 0 and 1 through 9; originally from having ten fingers, or "digits".

Last edited:
The reason this thread went in this direction is because the Age of Aquarius, as a concept, caused widespread interest in Astrology. Then, the question becomes what is there in a particular chart that causes enough interest to go deeper than just Sun-sign or even Sun-Moon-Rising. I happen to have an anti-authoritarian streak (very likely something in my chart) that causes me to value Logic and Intuition over Authority. I also respect Pattern, in a flexible way, meaning there may be more than one viable pattern.

I am the exact same way in regards to my anti-authoritarian nature. I was born into a Catholic family and at an early age, I rejected the religion. For a 10 year old to bluntly state "I don't believe in God" is pretty shocking but I meant it. No matter how much they attempted to drill it into me, I would immediately spit it out. Of course I attribute this to my Uranus aspects with my Sun & Merc. Like you though, I will value my logic and intuition over anything else. Astrology is just natural to me.

I relate to some planets and not others for some reason. One thing that I never really ever considered is my Jupiter in Scorpio, which was mentioned in this thread. I have a hard time understanding Jupiter. I understand that that it expands what it touches and is an overall good planet but not much else. It's odd how there are certain planets I am completely in tune with and others not so much.

waybread

I currently am of the opinion that Aries is Sign number 1 through Pisces as number 12. What sequence are you using? I don't think I've heard of it. And what's this "IT Revolution"? I 'm always interested in new ideas and concepts. The word "digital" is from the number 10: Ten digits, 0 and 1 through 9; originally from having ten fingers, or "digits".

Sorry, David-- I miscounted and spoke about the 9th sign.

The 10th sign Capricorn, however, is cardinal earth, Saturn-ruled, bestial, &c. Please note that our signs come down to us through the Babylonians who worked with a sexagesimal (base 60) arithmetic system, not base 10. They weren't planning ahead 2500 years into the future. IT=information technology.

david starling

Waybread, I'm pretty sure the numbering pattern is Tropical in origin. So each Tropical sign has a number, a ruler, a mode, an element and at least one image, as well as a key expression like "I See" for Sag. and "I Use" for Cap. I realize you already know this; just suggesting it came into widespread use though Ptolemy, who chose Tropical over Sidereal, in the 2nd Century A.C.E. The base-10 system, which led to the decimal system is even more recent (as, again, I'm sure you know already).
Um, care to weigh in on the qualities of Jupiter in a chart, especially when it's in Scorpio? My Jup. in Scorp. is in the 9th H. (Whole Sign method).

unique_astrology

Aspects in my chart which might be indicative of a curious bent about things, including astrology.

FJwciCP.gif

waybread

Waybread, I'm pretty sure the numbering pattern is Tropical in origin. So each Tropical sign has a number, a ruler, a mode, an element and at least one image, as well as a key expression like "I See" for Sag. and "I Use" for Cap. I realize you already know this; just suggesting it came into widespread use though Ptolemy, who chose Tropical over Sidereal, in the 2nd Century A.C.E. The base-10 system, which led to the decimal system is even more recent (as, again, I'm sure you know already).
Um, care to weigh in on the qualities of Jupiter in a chart, especially when it's in Scorpio? My Jup. in Scorp. is in the 9th H. (Whole Sign method).

David, if you're interested in the history of astrology I can suggest some readings, depending upon what you want to know. Back when horoscopic astrology was developed (around 200 BCE) there was no real distinction between tropical and sidereal. The Babylonians didn't use houses. Different ancient Near Eastern societies used different dates to start their calendars. I agree that Ptolemy popularized the tropical zodiac calendar, using 0 degrees Aries as the starting point, even though the equinox had already slipped back into Pisces by then.

The key words for each sign ("I am, I have, I see, I know, &c) are probably modern. They weren't part of Hellenistic astrology. Maybe someone else can say if they were used in medieval or Renaissance astrology.

Signs' qualities were also related to the perceived characteristics of the constellations for which they were named. Leo gives pride, the Virgin gives barrenness, the Ram gives a headstrong disposition.

The sexagesimal (base 60) system was in use in Mesopotamia as a very flexible arithmetic system, due to its large number of factors-- including the astrologically significant number 12. The number 60 lends itself to a division by many numbers, thus facilitating the calculation of fractions. Base 60 is really the basis of our hours, minutes, and seconds; 360 degrees in a circle and compass bearings; and I believe our lines of latitude and longitude.

The Babylonians developed 30-degree astrological signs (also base 60) out of the zodiac constellations (which are of varying widths along the ecliptic) to make it easier to predict eclipses.

Of course, 10 divides into 360 handily enough, but historically base 10 did not originate with the arithmetic system that informed ancient astrology.

In terms of Jupiter in Scorpio in the 9th, it is hard to say without seeing the entire chart, because you'd want to consider how it is aspected and the situation of its house ruler/s within the horoscope.

But a good way to consider a placement is that a planet gives you the "what" in a sentence, what we would call the subject. In a natal chart, Jupiter is the principle of optimism, luck, and/or expansion. It is a planet of panoramic thinking, vs. Mercury's attention to immediate facts.

The sign says how or in what manner a planet operates, like an adjective or adverb in a sentence. Scorpio is about the most complex sign going, but superficially, it is fixed water. So a planet in Scorpio operates primarily out of your feeling nature, and it tends to be constant and consistent. The Scorpion with its stinger tends to have a retaliatory streak, which may seem a little out-of-place with idealistic Jupiter. Thanks to its Pluto nature, Scorpio will channel Jupiter into life's deeper mysteries.

An aspect operates in a "how" or "what manner" mode as well, but here we think about pairs or stellia of planets. How do they get along with one another?

A house says where or in what domain of life a planet operates, like a prepositional phrase in a sentence. The 9th deals with activities that expand your mental horizons, such as foreign travel, higher education, theology, and developing a life philosophy. There is no consistent match-up between planets, houses, and signs; but the Jupiter-Sagittarius-9th house connection is one of the better ones.

So to put these components together in a sentence: you exercise your powers of faith and panoramic thinking through probing life's mysteries in a persistent and feeling way. If I understand your chart correctly, you have Pisces rising, which would tend to reinforce the significance of your Jupiter in your life, because it rules your ascendant.

Last edited:

david starling

So, "probing life's mysteries" using Astrology "in a persistent and feeling way". You got the "panoramic thinking" right also--I always need the forest in order to understand the trees. Two others: I needed to expand Tropicalism to include Earth's Ages; and there was a stroke of luck accompanying the analysis and logic that enabled it to happen (IMO). I'm definitely impressed with your chart-reading ability!
It appears Jupiter in Scorpio should be included with a Mercury -Uranian connection as a factor in an inclination toward astrology. Uranian location in Aquarius--should be excellent for Astrological inspiration (not my situation, which is Ur. in Gemini).
Since you're a scholar, here's a few of the books I've found useful (you may have already seen them)--The Fertile Crescent (Travels in the Footsteps of Ancient Science) by Clifford N. Anderson; Clockwork Man (The Story of Time, its origins, its uses, its tyranny) by Lawrence Wright; Psychological Astrology (A Synthesis of Jungian Psychology and Astrology) by Karen Hamaker-Zondag; Louis MacNeice, Astrology; The Uses of the Past, by Herbert J. Muller; and a sociological work, The Lonely Crowd, and another entitled The Masks of Self. I'm sure you have some suggestions for a reading list to increase my competency as a chart-reader; I've been concentrating too much on history and theory--too much forest, not enough about the trees!

Last edited:

Frisiangal

Hi Everyone,
In Rudhyar's day technical and digital advancement hadn't reached the state it is now. Do you think he could have meant when MAN takes his first step beyond the limits of the solar system will see the beginning of the Age Of Aquarius?

I believe it was incorrect on my part to use the word 'digital' in the manner it was because a symbol representing a number has been in use since I personally do not know when. I had originally changed it from 'electronic' because it seems more in use nowadays.
It was not my intent to create a debate regarding astrological symbolism. Each school has its own perspectives through which differences can occur.

I did not mean any disrespect towards Rudhyar, a number of whose books fill my astrology shelves and have strongly influenced my own thought patterns and views.

I am in complete agrement with Lin (message #6); her words:
Yes I have an angular Uranus also....but I am an astrologer because of my 9th house planets - I am unendingly curious about human nature. I want to know what makes people tick
have often come from my own lips. I can't take everything for gospel in preference to a grain of salt.

Both Mercury and Uranus are strong in my personal chart. But so is Saturn in Gemini 10th.

Re Anti-authoritarianism. My father used to describe me as 'a white communist' when I was younger. My husband says that not much has changed in the xx years since.:biggrin:

david starling

Prettypower, Jupiter is the Father archetype. My own father, who was big on Freudian psychology, actually described himself in Jupiterean terms. He told me to forget about astrology, because it wasn't anything real. You can see how I minded!

Last edited:

hottofu

I believe I started to show interests in astrology back in Jan-Feb this year when my progressed Sun conjunct natal Uranus in Scorpio and it's still in orb right now. I was curious as to why something happened to me and how I should deal with the problems in my life. It was a shocking revelation tbh and I slowly began to understand why people around me (including myself) behaved in certain ways and what I could (or cannot) do to interfere with those behaviors. It helps me develop a more understanding attitude towards things that I hate and realize that there's a time for everything in this world. So to me it's a psychological and philosophical experience catered to practical needs (moon in Taurus, Jupiter, Saturn and NN in Virgo lol).

AppLeo

I can pinpoint why I believe in astrology with a couple placements

-Mercury, Moon, North Node all conjunct in the 8th House
-Scorpio MC

Jadi

I think that having my the node conjunct the ascendant is a strong indicator for me to grab all the metaphysical stuff to get my Soul ahead, doesn't really matter if it's tarot, astrology, religion, tantric stuff, etc. This is also supported by the ruler of my ascendant in the 12th house.

Unfortunately, my 9th ruler is strongly debilitated, which makes it hard to help other people in those matters. I still try, though.

NRodin

1 Stellium in my 8th house, and another in my 11th house. Grand Water Trine between Moon, Mars, and South Node.

conspiracy theorist

Traditionally - Jupiter strong. Sagittarius Sun in hayz rules WS 9th house (spiritual house) located in WS 1st. In the terms of Jupiter and is disposed by it. 5 of the 7 planets is ruled by Jupiter. Mercury in WS 1st (traditionally Mercury was the planet of astrologers)

Saturn is stationary direct and therefore emphasized (Saturn has significance to the occult traditionally. P.O.F is a Jupiterian sign with 4 planets located in the 10th from fortune. P.O.F conjunct Achenar. Point of spirit conjunct MC -- My chart is highly "spiritual/mystical".

Modern -
-Sun parallel Neptune and Uranus and conjuncts Pluto (My identity/ego is tied into "transpersonal" energies).
-Mercury conjunct Pluto.
-Moon is on the astrologer's degree (26 Aquarius)
-Neptune/Pluto midpoint conjunct ASC.
- Ascendant conjunct Galactic centre
- Pluto is in high focus (bundle chart)
- 12th house action

Interest and the pursuit of the occult is deeply embedded in my chart and goes a long way to explaining my other occult interests apart from Astrology.

astrobunny

I've got Venus & Jupiter in the 8th house (the latter planet also in Scorpio). My North Node is 8th house Scorpio as well along with a Moon Sextile Pluto. There's some midpoints in my chart as well that involve a focus on spirituality, so I was pretty destined to end up liking astrology lol